Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

My spin today...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,407 ✭✭✭Wailin

Which one was sullys gully? Yeah lots of natural trails at ticknock are being erased unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭comanche_cor

Wailin wrote: »
    Which one was sullys gully? Yeah lots of natural trails at ticknock are being erased unfortunately.

Its one that crossed Euroskeptic into red tractor - it was the fact that it crossed Euroskeptic that was the problem.

Ah yes, I went to do that trail last week actually and it was closed off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭maddness

Its one that crossed Euroskeptic into red tractor - it was the fact that it crossed Euroskeptic that was the problem.

I was up there myself today and saw that it was blocked. In fairness you can’t have an unofficial trail crossing a beginner Coilte trail a number of times and not expect it to last long.
    There are a good few of the older trails being wrecked but there are still absolutely loads of natural trails up there for a good spin.
    I’d a great spin today, the trails are dry and riding fast.

Same, was up there today myself. Conditions were perfect.

• Advertisement

Took the hardtail out yesterday for a change and just did the coilte loop at ticknock, no natural stuff. Afterburner on a hardtail is totally different compared to the full suss. That long rock garden section before the woods is a right bone shaker!

Metro 1/skyline, always nice to have this long descent to finish out.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Took the hardtail out yesterday for a change and just did the coilte loop at ticknock, no natural stuff. Afterburner on a hardtail is totally different compared to the full suss. That long rock garden section before the woods is a right bone shaker!

Watching that has me itching to get back out but I'm still nursing a foot injury that f*ck knows how I managed it, along with the remnants of hand & neck injuries courtesy of two hard hits - one after the other - a few weeks ago. Almost healed up enough to ride but still not enough so that video is like torture. If I was a horse you'd take me out back and shoot me. Twice to make sure :pac:

Looks like a fun descent. looks like you have linked up a couple of trails; which trails and at what time points if you don't mind my asking.

It's literally one trail, skyline, until 4.30. The trails at 4.30 and 4.47 are optional but most people do the lot in one go, especially if parked in the lower car park by the biking.ie hut.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

What freehub have you? It makes a lovely racket.

xxyyzz wrote: »
    What freehub have you? It makes a lovely racket.

It's a DT Swiss 370. Compared to the almost silent hub on the full suss I initially found it irritating. But it's very useful when coming up on walkers on the trails rather than scaring the crap out of them by appearing out of nowhere!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

It's a DT Swiss 370. Compared to the almost silent hub on the full suss I initially found it irritating. But it's very useful when coming up on walkers on the trails rather than scaring the crap out of them by appearing out of nowhere!

Nothing says money and how much better you are than everyone else than a loud (while functional) freehub. I too used to love quiet but now I don't think I could go back to a quiet freehub.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭steamsey

Wallin - I hope you don't mind me saying. At about 3.20, pedal like f*ck and you can launch off that hump at 3.23. Great fun. You mightn't care but I love launching off that. Got to time the pedal strokes well as there are a few smaller humps before it.

And on freewheels - louder the better. Great for letting people know you are around and saves me doing skids behind walkers. Also using my currently squeaky front brakes to let people know I'm behind them - followed by a "hello, thanks, nice day" etc.

Don't mind at all steamsey, I really welcome any hints, tips, advice etc, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Plastik

Quick lunch blast around Djouce. Place could do with an aul sprinkle of rain. I nearly feel ashamed for saying that given how many hours I spend over there in the wet wishing it was dryer!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

You were really 'Wailin' those berms.....

I'll get my coat...

Plastik wrote: »
    Quick lunch blast around Djouce. Place could do with an aul sprinkle of rain. I nearly feel ashamed for saying that given how many hours I spend over there in the wet wishing it was dryer!

Have you done the new crazy steep trail between irn bru and disco stu? Saw a video on YouTube. Not a feckin hope!

Yeah knew it was there for a few weeks before that vid surfaced. Have only done it once so far. It's wild enough, definitely the hardest trail in Djouce. Joins up with Irn Bru just before you fire into that final rough section at the bottom. It's a combo of loose and steep, but mainly the loose that makes it hard IMO. Once you're fine doing the roll downs on Dutch Gold, StumpJumper, and IrnBru the steep isn't so bad. There's only one main chute and one big bomb hole. The loose is very like that section that goes straight down the hill near the top of Crone. I'm never sure whether I'm actually in control or just on the edge of losing it!

wkjmvxFh.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Have you done the new crazy steep trail between irn bru and disco stu? Saw a video on YouTube. Not a feckin hope!

Got a link for that video? I'm in need of more torture today on top of the two tyres that turned up from CRC that cost more than I've paid for some car tyres ...

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭mad turnip

Lemming wrote: »
    Got a link for that video? I'm in need of more torture today on top of the two tyres that turned up from CRC that cost more than I've paid for some car tyres ...

https://youtu.be/Q1r590WdcmU?t=783

• Registered Users Posts: 6,997 ✭✭✭prunudo

mad turnip wrote: »

Must be getting old, I don't see the enjoyment in that. I'd do it once maybe just to see it to believe it. I'll leave it to the young lads who bounce better than I do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭comanche_cor

Up in the gap at the weekend, some amount of people there. Fantastic to see. Great to see all the kiddies out and about - the future is bright!

Went to the gap to try the two new trails - got to say angry badger left me smiling from ear to ear, great tail. Didn't get to try the new black - ran out of time, but any videos of it look class.

Angry badger looks class alright! Bit short but great to see natural trails mixed with the hard pack stuff in the bike park. I hope they do more of this stuff. Is it easy to find? Have never even been to the gap yet. I'm waiting to go midweek as the weekend would be too crazy for my liking.

Angry badger looks class alright! Bit short but great to see natural trails mixed with the hard pack stuff in the bike park. I hope they do more of this stuff. Is it easy to find? Have never even been to the gap yet. I'm waiting to go midweek as the weekend would be too crazy for my liking.

Its easy enough, take the sign post up towards the black trails and keep going straight you can't miss it. The trails for the most part aren't too busy on weekend afternoons excluding the skills area which is very very busy. The morning looks crazy though.

One from last week at Ticknock. This is a great link up, T -connector to Mojave to leap of the bunny. Has a bit of everything. Rocky single track, tight rooty section and fast flowy bit with a few jumps near the end. The climb back up though is soul destroying.

One from last week at Ticknock. This is a great link up, T -connector to Mojave to leap of the bunny. Has a bit of everything. Rocky single track, tight rooty section and fast flowy bit with a few jumps near the end. The climb back up though is soul destroying.

When you finish leap of the bunny at the road take the next two left turns for a milder climb, still a bit on the steep side though:
    https://www.google.com/maps/dir/53.2445082,-6.2215004/53.2473073,-6.227648/@53.2422007,-6.2325852,15z/data=!4m2!4m1!3e1

Good to know MT. I've done that climb a few times now and it doesn't get any easier so I'll give your one a go next time. You see the lads on the e bikes coming past without a bother and it gets the mind going on maybe the next investment!

Hit GAP last night for the first time on a bike I picked up late last year and maybe I'd guess for the first time since the enduro there last year. Jesus I was totally at sea on the easy flow trails for the first hour. My big XL suddenly felt very big and unweildy. Take me back across to Djouce any day! She shrank again after that though and things started to feel more normal. Some amount of people up there, great to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭jrby

Is the Gap open in the evenings now? Or just Thursdays?

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

jrby wrote: »
    Is the Gap open in the evenings now? Or just Thursdays?

Just Thursdays, as far as I know. Check their Facebook page to confirm.

• Advertisement

They do a 6pm-last light session on Thursday evenings. No uplifts running.

Advertisement