Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Why do car owners drive in the middle lane?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Piehead

Most people drive in the medium speed lane. The slow lane is for trucks and buses usually

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Stephenc66

• Registered Users Posts: 28,739 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I drive in the left lane on motorways outside Dublin. However once this lane starts to get busy as you get closer to the city (or the N7/M50) I have no issue moving to the outside lane as necessary and overtaking the long tine of dawdlers doing anywhere up to 40 km/h below the 120 limit for no real reason... and no, "I'm saving fuel" or "I'm not comfortable doing 120" isn't an excuse - if you can't keep up with the traffic and are causing others to have to take actions to get around you (especially trucks and buses), you shouldn't be on the motorway.

Undertaking however is dangerous as that middle-lane car you're passing may pull over on top of you without warning as they approach their exit (or just because they woke up). Overtake on the right only. "But you're allowed pass slower traffic on the left" isn't valid either - that rule is intended for slow moving traffic (eg: congestion) or where a car is stopped to turn right etc.

Have to agree with a poster previously though. Just over take the vehicle in question (on the right) and get on with your life.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,838 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Oh! So on on a 3 lane motorway all traffic should be travelling in the left lane unless overtaking?

Exactly.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Kewreeuss

Piehead wrote: »
    Most people drive in the medium speed lane. The slow lane is for trucks and buses usually

It’s not the bloody slow lane!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭markmoto

There is no slow or fast lanes, all lanes equal and according to traffic rules you have to keep left lane unless overtaking. To avoid congestions and road collisions.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,838 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Kewreeuss wrote: »
    It’s not the bloody slow lane!!

Especially as the traffic is commonly going slower in lane 2 than it is in lane 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

So on the M50 everyone should drive on the left lane unless overtaking?. So no one should be on the outside lane then, have I got that right?.
    Meanwhile back on the real world everyone who drives the M50 knows theres so much traffic on it all the lanes need to be used.

So on the M50 everyone should drive on the left lane unless overtaking?. So no one should be on the outside lane then, have I got that right?.
    Meanwhile back on the real world everyone who drives the M50 knows theres so much traffic on it all the lanes need to be used.

If there is congestion obviously you can use any lanes.
    But when driving on motorway and left lane is empty you should keep left.

People like to give out about middle lane hoggers, oblivious to the fact that they're guilty of doing the very thing they're complaining about, or at least being envious that they cannot do it.

In this thread alone, there's numerous people saying anyone who can't overtake properly shouldn't be allowed to drive. So what's your problem when you encounter someone in the middle lane? Just overtake them properly and continue on your journey, or should you not be allowed to drive?

I mean, you're essentially saying that you can't do what they're doing (driving without changing lanes), and instead have to perform a manoeuvre that you'd rather not do....i.e. drive without changing lanes.

"This guy has the audacity to sit in the middle lane so he doesn't have to keep popping in/out to overtake....what a selfish so-and-so......Boy I wish he didn't do that so I could....eh.....not have to pop in/out to overtake"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

Left - exiting,
    Right - overtaking/speeding
    Middle - zombie mode

I'm pretty sure this is the general logic applied; also I'm fully licensed >10 years and was never taught actual rooms regarding 3 lanes and have honestly never looked it up.

Yes, I'm part of the problem. :(
    I have driving, and only do it out of necessity cos I can't fit/move my full family, dog and shopping on my bike quickly and safely.

Solution that will actually make me learn:
    1. Give me a really simple digestible version of the real application that I'll advisory without thinking about it. {realised I've seen that at above before and still don't care}
    2. Force me to take a test that covers it - even a really simple on line multiple choice one. Most importantly I should not be allowed leave this year without selecting and/or being told the right answer.

I once did driver theory test for motorbike; leaving the test, after passing, I still didn't know which 3(?) Questions I had answered wrong, or what the correct answer to them was.
    As I had passed, there was no need for me to check, and by time I had access to materials I honestly couldn't remember specifics of all questions in order to check if I had wanted to.

(Actually maybe they tell you which were wrong, but don't tell you the right answer...., Either way I never found out the right answers)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,616 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I only do this on the busy parts of the M50, as otherwise I'd have to keep moving over and back to let people enter.

As you'd be passing traffic on your left, it's overtaking, in which case you are allowed to move out a lane. As is often the case, if there is enough room for someone to pass you on the right, there was enough for you to have pulled in instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,275 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

liamog wrote: »
    As you'd be passing traffic on your left, it's overtaking, in which case you are allowed to move out a lane. As is often the case, if there is enough room for someone to pass you on the right, there was enough for you to have pulled in instead.

so what is the third lane for? people overtaking other people who are overtaking?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,629 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

ELM327 wrote: »
    I only do this on the busy parts of the M50, as otherwise I'd have to keep moving over and back to let people enter.
    the M50 is one of the easier roads to avoid doing that on, because there's no 'mandatory' merging due to the slip lanes? on the 3 lane section at least, which is the considerable majority of the M50.
    there is mandatory merging *within* many of the slip lanes, but that doesn't apply to the main motorway lanes.

Yes but people just merge in front of you or beep at you etc.
    I know it's wrong and that's fine, prefer the easy life and be wrong rather than be correct and be road raged at or crashed into.

(FYI we have no mandatory merging in Ireland, traffic on the motorway or DC always has right of way)

so what is the third lane for? people overtaking other people who are overtaking?
    Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 8,165 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

All very confusing, I think I'll just stick to driving in the middle lane!

Fine of 80 euro coming soon for middle lane hogging
    in UK 100 pounds already. Check this out

https://www.thesun.ie/motors/4752902/idiot-driver-who-hogged-middle-lane-for-three-miles-told-police-hed-done-nothing-wrong-because-the-road-was-empty/

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Piehead

markmoto wrote: »
    There is no slow or fast lanes, all lanes equal and according to traffic rules you have to keep left lane unless overtaking. To avoid congestions and road collisions.

I’m pretty sure there are. It’s slow, medium and fast looking at it left to right respectively

• Advertisement

I’m pretty sure there are. It’s slow, medium and fast looking at it left to right respectively

According to RSA there no slow or fast rather lane 1,2 and 3
    Check this video Stephenc66 posted early

Which bit is difficult, remembering which is your left, or changing lane to overtake? Neither of these are particularly difficult driving skills.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭JazzyJ

Page 147 of the rules of the road.

https://www.rsa.ie/Documents/RotR%20BOOK%20for%20web%202019.pdf
    Lane 1
    The normal ‘keep left’ rule applies. Stay in this lane unless you are overtaking.

Lane 2
    On a two-lane motorway, use this for overtaking only and move back into Lane 1
    when you have finished. You may also use this lane to accommodate traffic merging
    from the left.
    On a three-lane motorway, you may stay in this centre lane while there is
    slower moving traffic in Lane 1.

Lane 3
    If you are travelling on a three-lane motorway, you must use this lane only
    if traffic in lanes 1 and 2 is moving in queues and you need to overtake or
    accommodate merging traffic. Once you’ve finished overtaking, move back to
    your left and allow faster traffic coming from behind to pass by.

Its not difficult. I guess people are lazy? Maybe, have their own view of the rules of the road? Who knows. After the last year I've no idea what's going on in the minds of a lot of people :D

You may also use this lane to accommodate traffic merging
    from the left.

Unfortunately some people have interpreted this as stay in Lane 2 from junctions 3 to 14.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,217 ✭✭✭Miscreant

I'm not sure if half of the posters on here are trolling or if there is genuinely this level of ignorance of the Rules of the Road. The manual clearly states to stay in lane 1 unless overtaking and move back to lane 1 as soon as your overtaking manoeuvre is completed (screenshot attached from the ROTR manual). Surely it is not that difficult to understand? Keep in the leftmost lane unless overtaking.... Simples.

The M50 is one place where this rule goes out the window due to traffic volumes in the morning and evening, however I have driven this road at all times of day and night and there is always more than 1 vehicle sitting in lane 2 (the middle lane) for no reason whatsoever. Same goes for the N7 where, no matter how busy the road is, there will always be vehicles sitting in lane 2 while lane 1 is clear. What baffles me even more is when on a clear stretch of motorway, you see someone move to lane 2 despite there being absolutely nothing in front of them or any slip roads coming up!

Other than issuing a fine to middle lane users, I can't see a way to stop this behaviour as it is endemic on 3 lane carriageways. I don't see it too often on roads with only 2 lanes though.

EDIT: JazzyJ got there before me with this :)

One thing for sure, its not an solely an Irish problem. I've seen it in plenty of other countries.

You have to appreciate the Italian way of dealing with it where they'll tailgate you within an inch of your bumper if you pull that shíte.

Miscreant wrote: »
    The M50 is one place where this rule goes out the window due to traffic volumes in the morning and evening, however I have driven this road at all times of day and night and there is always more than 1 vehicle sitting in lane 2 (the middle lane) for no reason whatsoever.

Then you'll know also that sitting in Lane 1 as you approach and pass junctions is inviting all sorts of sh1tty behaviour from your fellow motorists, yes?
    Changing three lanes at once to make an exit is a common enough occurrence. As is people merging at inappropriate speeds, merging into insufficient space, speeding up so as to not allow others to merge......staying out in lane 2 until you're clear of junctions is the smart, safe move most of the time. Hardly qualifies as "no reason whatsoever".

Another example: people don't leave enough room between cars as it is. When its raining out, having the cars spread out over multiple lanes with increased distancing between them reduces the amount of surface water kicked up in lane one and allows for greater separation between each car. Much safer to have cars spread out in that scenario.

And don't get me started on idiots merging into small spaces on wet roads.....too close to vehicle in front, ease off the speed a bit, increase the gap, some other tool squeezes into your new gap, too close to vehicle in front again, ease off the speed......rinse and repeat.:mad:
    JazzyJ wrote: »
    You have to appreciate the Italian way of dealing with it where they'll tailgate you within an inch of your bumper if you pull that shíte.

Yeah, cos that's the correct way to deal with something you consider unsafe.......to make it more unsafe for a higher number of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Kewreeuss

Then you'll know also that sitting in Lane 1 as you approach and pass junctions is inviting all sorts of sh1tty behaviour from your fellow motorists, yes?
    Changing three lanes at once to make an exit is a common enough occurrence. As is people merging at inappropriate speeds, merging into insufficient space, speeding up so as to not allow others to merge......staying out in lane 2 until you're clear of junctions is the smart, safe move most of the time. Hardly qualifies as "no reason whatsoever".

Another example: people don't leave enough room between cars as it is. When its raining out, having the cars spread out over multiple lanes with increased distancing between them reduces the amount of surface water kicked up in lane one and allows for greater separation between each car. Much safer to have cars spread out in that scenario.

And don't get me started on idiots merging into small spaces on wet roads.....too close to vehicle in front, ease off the speed a bit, increase the gap, some other tool squeezes into your new gap, too close to vehicle in front again, ease off the speed......rinse and repeat.:mad:

Yeah, cos that's the correct way to deal with something you consider unsafe.......to make it more unsafe for a higher number of people.

Yeah, but if you are in Italy and have a car with its head lights in your back window, you move in pretty quick and you won’t dawdle in the outside lane again. You’re wasting your time in Ireland. If you want to get by and there is a car in front of you they take offence that you want to go faster than them and don’t budge:D Another reason your wasting your time is because too many people do it.

I'm not condoning that behaviour - what I'm getting at is that lack of lane discipline is largely not tolerated there and has a far better level of adherence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,165 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

liamog wrote: »
    Which bit is difficult, remembering which is your left, or changing lane to overtake? Neither of these are particularly difficult driving skills.

Oh I dunno, I do a lot of business over the phone as I drive along so between that and listening to Joe Duffy I think I'll just relax and drive along in the middle lane.

Advertisement