Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cyclists, insurance and road tax

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 158 ✭✭Joe4321

@Andrew, what would you do if you had a magic wand, what would you keep, what would you change to make our roads safer for everybody

• Registered Users Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Wow I've seen people get worked up over nothing, but all this cause some cyclists breaks the red when the walking lights are on.

Wait till you see the temple veins throb when a cyclist dismounts and walks the bike across the road :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,079 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

It's not a tax on ownership though.
    I can own a motorcar and not tax it.
    It's essentially a road tax.
    A tax paid to use the road.

Wow.

Even when your folly is pointed out to you Fergie, you still want to double down on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,676 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

You know what would fix the bike theft problem?

Registration plates for bicycles and mandatory insurance, which would replace stolen bikes and also lobby the government for better enforcement against thieves

Have those measures fixed the car theft problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Sono Topolino

oisinog wrote: »
    Sono tell me how would you expect me to fit a light a saddle bad and reg plate on the back of my bike.

Where would I display it, would you be happy to pay more "road tax" to fund the extra staff it would take to manage this process.

At this point in time my car reg does not get me a caught if I do any of the above so why do you think a reg plate on my bike would.

1. You already need number plates on ebikes in certain countries.

2. ANPR technology is affixed to most Garda vehicles so if they do see you breaking lights, they will send you a fixed charge notice in the post even if they don't stop you at the time.

• Advertisement

Joe4321 wrote: »
    OK Andrew, you convinced me to sell my car and buy a better bycicle, who can I phone now to get insurance from

Are you trying to distract attention from your failure to answer any of the questions put to you?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,172 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Maybe everyone on a bike should wear a helmet. The inability to put together a coherent argument without an understanding of basic spelling and grammar is absurdly common in this thread and it should serve as a warning to anyone as to how you may turn out if you're unfortunate to have a head injury.

Andrew I have answered everything, can you answer my question, I am very interested to find out your answer, I really am buy a bicycle any suggestions on make to buy,

• Registered Users Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Whatever about road tax, I can see a case for insurance being required for cycling on public roads. Cyclists can cause injury to a range of other road users. It's really not acceptable to cause injury or damage and be able to walk off scot free. But this is probably a wider issue and maybe every individual over a certain age (12?) should have personal insurance and if they cause damage, choose to pay themselves or have their insurance pay.

Joe4321 wrote: »
    @Andrew, nó one is saying cycling is bad for you, don't try spin it that people are saying that, cycling alone will not stop obesity, just like walking or going to the gym will, personal responsibility about the amount of and type of food you put into body will, all types of exercise is a beneficial for you health but that alone will not stop obesity,
    Cycling is hugely positive for public health. We should be doing everything in our power to encourage cycling, instead of dreaming up pointless barriers that have no rationale.

• Advertisement

Andrew, did I not say that?? Are you not going to answer my question that I have now put to you twice, I really am interested in you views,

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭oisinog

2. ANPR technology is affixed to most Garda vehicles so if they do see you breaking lights, they will send you a fixed charge notice in the post even if they don't stop you at the time.

You avoided answering my question. Where on my limited frame do I put a visable number plate?

Which countries do you have to have a reg plate on an e-bike? I'm not aware of anywhere.

Have those measures fixed the car theft problem?

Car insurance has lead to manufacturers building safer cars, because the insurance industry lobbied for higher manufacturing standards.

It also lobbied for road safety laws, anti-theft security features on cars, and yes greater polife enforcement. Car theft is now exceedingly rate.

But brother's bike lasted 5 minutes chained to a railing on the Quays in Dublin.

1. What countries require number plates on e-bikes?

2. Only if the garda car is behind the bike, and the bike isn't obstructed, which it most likely will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭maccored

My opinions on this are not welcome on the cycling forum, so here we go.

Why is it such a taboo to request cyclists to get insurance and pay taxes for the roads that they use, just like car drivers do?

"There is no such thing as road tax" cyclists bleat - except there are plenty of taxes that other road users have to pay, and cyclists pay none of them. There are plenty of tax breaks which cyclists can avail of, and second hand bikes which are dickied up to be as good as new are even VAT free.

I agree that cycling is worth encouraging in big cities like Dublin, where it is a superior form of transport, but the cycle lanes have to be paid for from somewhere. And in rural areas, the only cyclists I see are doing it as a form of exercise on a road built for cars and tractors, slowing all the traffic down and endangering all road users. If cyclists want to cycle on main roads in rural Ireland, then they should pay for greenways for this purpose.

Until then, they're a nuisance and a menace. So cyclists really have no arguments against mandatory insurance either. Before giving them insurance, I assume those companies will want evidence that cyclists know the rules of the road - something which currently they are not required to be remotely aware of.

It's a pity I can't actually address this point to cyclists in the cycling forum.

why should i pay insurance and tax twice? in fact the whole car insurance industry and road tax needs rethinking. the use of the road should be taxed and the person insured - bike, car or walking

oisinog wrote: »
    You avoided answering my question. Where on my limited frame do I put a visable number plate?

Which countries do you have to have a reg plate on an e-bike? I'm not aware of anywhere.

1. Not my problem - if it won't fit, don't use it on the road.

2. Switzerland has reg plates for eBikes.

Furze99 wrote: »
    Whatever about road tax, I can see a case for insurance being required for cycling on public roads. Cyclists can cause injury to a range of other road users. It's really not acceptable to cause injury or damage and be able to walk off scot free. But this is probably a wider issue and maybe every individual over a certain age (12?) should have personal insurance and if they cause damage, choose to pay themselves or have their insurance pay.

So is there a case for insurance for pedestrians, given that they can cause injury to a range of other road users?

Car insurance has lead to manufacturers building safer cars, because the insurance industry lobbied for higher manufacturing standards.

It also lobbied for road safety laws, anti-theft security features on cars, and yes greater polife enforcement. Car theft is now exceedingly rate.

But brother's bike lasted 5 minutes chained to a railing on the Quays in Dublin.

Cars have multiple security measures, mechanical, electrical, and software to prevent theft. Where does all this go on a bicycle?

Maybe your brother uses a crappy lock?

1. LOL.
    2. Only on fast ebikes, which you can't get in Europe. We're limited to 25kph and 250W

• Registered Users Posts: 19,079 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

People have no idea how insurance companies work if they think that they would be willing to offer insurance to cyclists against things like theft, when there are 1000's of bicycles stolen in Dublin alone.

No insurance company is going to enter into that risk area.

• Advertisement

Your obsession with solving non existing problems is not my problem. If you're unable to share the road with cyclists, don't use the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

You mean high powered eBikes....basically electric motorbikes....nice try to muddy the waters.

Padre_Pio wrote: »
    Cars have multiple security measures, mechanical, electrical, and software to prevent theft. Where does all this go on a bicycle?

Maybe your brother uses a crappy lock?

Back a hundred years or so ago, cars were incredibly easy to steal and a mixture of insurance companies lobbying and investing lead to the motor industry taking security incredibly seriously.

And IDK maybe if cyclists need to have comprehensive insurance on their bikes, this will lead to bikes which are harder to steal. However, I was more going for the fact that insurance companies would lobby the government to break up the gangs that keep stealing bikes.

Tony EH wrote: »
    People have no idea how insurance companies work if they think that they would be willing to offer insurance to cyclists against things like theft, when there are 1000's of bicycles stolen in Dublin alone.

There are some options, though the prices aren't reasonable.
    https://www.bikeinsurance.ie/

Still waiting Andrew

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

Tony EH wrote: »

Tax would be better and fairer. It could be ring fenced to pay for more cycling related infrastructure and upkeep/maintenance.

So yes let's tax cyclists but use the money to improve cycling infrastructure.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,425 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Switzerland require them further e bikes that go over 25kph. In Ireland we don’t allow ebikes that go over 25kph

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I actually thought the thread was quieting down and them realised it was lunch break time. This kind of nonsense can only be properly discussed during working hours.

Back a hundred years or so ago, cars were incredibly easy to steal and a mixture of insurance companies lobbying and investing lead to the motor industry taking security incredibly seriously.

And IDK maybe if cyclists need to have comprehensive insurance on their bikes, this will lead to bikes which are harder to steal. However, I was more going for the fact that insurance companies would lobby the government to break up the gangs that keep stealing bikes.

So now they just break into your house and steal the keys, then take your car.

How's that insurance company lobbying to break up the car theft gangs going?

• Advertisement

You mean high powered eBikes....basically electric motorbikes....nice try to muddy the waters.

The point is that number plates fit on a bicycle frame. The poster was arguing that bikes have no space for number plates on their frames and this is clearly nonsense.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement