Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cyclists, insurance and road tax

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭oisinog

Back a hundred years or so ago, cars were incredibly easy to steal and a mixture of insurance companies lobbying and investing lead to the motor industry taking security incredibly seriously.

And IDK maybe if cyclists need to have comprehensive insurance on their bikes, this will lead to bikes which are harder to steal. However, I was more going for the fact that insurance companies would lobby the government to break up the gangs that keep stealing bikes.

My bike is insured,thorugh my home insurance I can add it to the policy at no extra cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

BanditLuke wrote: »
    Cyclists are a law unto themselves and most of them think the rules of the road doesn't apply to them. I used to tell them to be careful breaking red lights but constantly got abused and spat on up by Stillorgan on one occasion so iv'e just given in.

Have you tried this with motorists? presumably they take your feedback much more constructively?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

That's the 7th time youve used that *fact

* may be made up
    he did give a source, in fairness!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

Of course you did constantly get spat on. I'm sure you have the pulse numbers from recording the assaults.

Hmmm. While cycling I've had items thrown at me, spat upon while passing up the inside of a traffic jam, and insults. Over the years it probably numbered three to five incidents. I'm afraid I don't have pulse numbers to support my allegation.

The fact is, unfortunately we have some really obnoxious people in our society, and it stands to reason that some will be motorists and some cyclists.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,116 ✭✭✭dinneenp

And in rural areas, the only cyclists I see are doing it as a form of exercise on a road built for cars and tractors, slowing all the traffic down and endangering all road users. If cyclists want to cycle on main roads in rural Ireland, then they should pay for greenways for this purpose.

Until then, they're a nuisance and a menace.

Not sure if this is in earnest but presuming that it is....
    - "on a road built for cars and tractors." Really? really? I thought roads were built for all types of transport.
    - "slowing all the traffic down"- sorry that cyclists can't cycle at 100 kmph
    - "endangering all road users"- how exactly are they endangering motorists?
    - "they should pay for greenways for this purpose"- what if cyclist doesn't want to cycle on the exact path of the greenway?

I'd love (and hate) to see a cyclist and motorist with the mindset of OP on the tv show 'Eating with the enemy".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,679 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Padre_Pio wrote: »
    On the topic of bike theft: I am unaware of a bicycle that has inbuilt anti theft hardware.

So, bike theft is not a failure of the bike. It is more likely a failure of an owner to not buy proper locks or chains.

Check out Van Moof built in tracking, and the follow up chasing service!

Though you are broadly right about proper locks and chains.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

Do cyclists have some exemption from paying tax? That's great news, where do I get a refund on all the tax I paid last year?

More you need to pay not less.
    The bicycle tax

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

what if you were caught drink cycling

The bicycle tax

Apologies I have not being following the minutiae of the thread. Exactly how does this bicycle tax work? and what is its main purpose?

* may be made up

It's in the latest RSA Speed Survey, as previously explained in the thread.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 158 ✭✭Joe4321

If a thief want you bike he will get it regardless of what lock you have on it, but maybe moterists are to blame for that too, hay Andrew..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Its hardly the fault of the motorist if the pedestrians are walk in your cycle lanes. Also it's not really surprising if the condition of the lane or track is poor when nobody is willing to pay towards improving it

Seems like some folk want to have the whole road, the footpath and segregated lanes yet pay nothing towards any of it, complain about the motorists and complain about the pedestrians

We all have to work together.

I did say that I drive far more than I cycle. How do you explain motorists driving and parking on cycle tracks, and footpaths.

Fixed this for you:
    Seems like some folk want to have the whole road, the footpath and segregated lanes yet pay nothing towards any of it as it is paid for from a central fund, complain about the cyclists and complain about the pedestrians

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭statto25

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Apologies I have not being following the minutiae of the thread. Exactly how does this bicycle tax work? and what is its main purpose?

Main purpose it to make begrudging motorists feel better about themselves

More you need to pay not less.
    The bicycle tax

"pay not less"? So I have to pay more?

Loving this thread. Great respite to the Rona.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,929 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Cyclists are a law unto themselves and most of them think the rules of the road doesn't apply to them. I used to tell them to be careful breaking red lights but constantly got abused and spat on up by Stillorgan on one occasion so iv'e just given in.

I suppose you stand at lights shouting and screaming at motorists too who break red lights every time there's a lights change? No I doubt it.
    You're all f*cking tapped seriously.

If you keep saying it maybe people will believe it, are we going for an 8th time

* may be made up

For those too lazy to Google or read the thread: https://www.rsa.ie/Documents/Road%20Safety/Speed/RRD_Res_20190204_FreeSpeedSurvey2018FINAL.pdf

It's been an experience reading some of the tripe here, I'm off out for a tax free spin on my bike on local roads.
    I may or may not wear a helmet

Joe4321 wrote: »
    If a thief want you bike he will get it regardless of what lock you have on it, but maybe moterists are to blame for that too, hay Andrew..

Similarly, if a thief wants your car, he'll just break into your house or mug you for the keys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Have you tried this with motorists? presumably they take your feedback much more constructively?

I have never been spat at though then again most motorists don't drive up to a red light have a look left and right and keep going so it wouldn't be as frequent.

@Andrew, that's correct, what's your point

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Sono Topolino

Padre_Pio wrote: »
    On the topic of bike theft: I am unaware of a bicycle that has inbuilt anti theft hardware.

So, bike theft is not a failure of the bike. It is more likely a failure of an owner to not buy proper locks or chains.

In 1950s America, due to lobbying from the car insurance industry, the Department of Transport mandated the introduction of VIN numbers. National Insurance Crime Bureau VIN-assist database actually helped the FBI solve the World Trade Centre bombing.

But keep ignoring facts that don't suit your ideology.

Hmmm. While cycling I've had items thrown at me, spat upon while passing up the inside of a traffic jam, and insults. Over the years it probably numbered three to five incidents. I'm afraid I don't have pulse numbers to support my allegation.

The fact is, unfortunately we have some really obnoxious people in our society, and it stands to reason that some will be motorists and some cyclists.

I agree with you. Although my point is that it's constantly happening BanditLuke in Stillorgan. Surely if it is constantly happening in the same locality, reporting it is likely to catch the culprits. I suspect that there was a huge exaggeration though.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,929 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I have never been spat at though then again most motorists don't drive up to a red light have a look left and right and keep going so it wouldn't be as frequent.

You haven't been attacked or spat at by motorists because you wouldn't dare start shouting at some angry young man in a car or van who's breaking the rules, because you'd likely get your head kicked in.

dinneenp wrote: »
    Yes they are but then again so are motorists.
    Cyclists break red lights. Motorists exceed speed limits & operate mobile phones while driving.
    And pedestrians; they jaywalk. Nobody is perfect.

The thread is about cyclists not motorists you do know this right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

"pay not less"? So I have to pay more?

Yes. 100 euro per year

It would be a good start. Let's pay for that bicycle lane in wicklow. Let's fund the green way in louth. Etc

Although Eamon Ryan has a million a day to spend on cycling I think we will need much more. Those who use it should pay. Same as everything.

what if you were caught drink cycling

There's no specific level of alcohol permitted for cyclists. There are occasional cases in the Courts when drunk cyclists are done for careless cycling or something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭statto25

Yes. 100 euro per year

It would be a good start. Let's pay for that bicycle lane in wicklow. Let's fund the green way in louth. Etc

Although Eamon Ryan has a million a day to spend on cycling I think we will need much more. Those who use it should pay. Same as everything.

What do you pay to use the roads while in your Motor Vehicle?

• Advertisement

You haven't been attacked or spat at by motorists because you wouldn't dare start shouting at some angry young man in a car or van who's breaking the rules, because you'd likely get your head kicked in.

Who said i was shouting. Why would i get my head kicked in? You need to read posts before reacting tbh.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement