Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS (sub2k) of the week/day Part 6

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭yamaha4life

wonski wrote: »
    So are you looking for a car or not?

You seem to view way more cars than you should for someone who isn't really looking ;)

Yes i am looking for a car, i have a lot of constraints at the moment but I wouldn't like to put them up on a public message board, i sold my car about 2/3 weeks ago and living rural having only one car in the household now can be a real pain!

I didn't realise there was a set limit of cars you can view lol

Had a Lanos about 8 years ago, got 2 and a half years out of it for €350, rattly as hell but never let me down,

I got mine off a friend for free! He had it 4 years making regular trips to dublin. I put a new thermostat, timing belt and waterpump on it. Failed test on track rod and one metal brake line i replaced them and gave it to my sister. She gave it very high praise that it drove like her old corolla!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Yes i am looking for a car, i have a lot of constraints at the moment but I wouldn't like to put them up on a public message board, i sold my car about 2/3 weeks ago and living rural having only one car in the household now can be a real pain!

I didn't realise there was a set limit of cars you can view lol

I just think you need to lower expectations at that end of the market.

A good bit of nct, brakes, tires, suspension that isn't falling apart is a must. Anything else is extra.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Toyota or honda you be doing well....

wonski wrote: »
    I just think you need to lower expectations at that end of the market.

A good bit of nct, brakes, tires, suspension that isn't falling apart is a must. Anything else is extra.

I don't have high expectations! I've been buying and selling cars with 15 years. At this end of the market your going to see a lot more lemons than gems.

If your referring to my opinion on how a lacetti, avensis, lanos and similar are joyless cars to drive thats just my opinion doesn't mean there not a good car for getting from a to b. Jezz i drove an almera for a year up and down to work compared to my alfa it was a soulless machine but got me up and down the country just fine for €200 the nct test put it to car heaven after a tester decided to make swiss cheese out of both sills very violently with a screwdriver!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

the nct test put it to car heaven after a tester decided to make swiss cheese out of both sills very violently with a screwdriver!

That happened me but they done it to the chassis rail. I honestly to this day still think he forcefully busted through as I was looking at it after the holes were busted through and it was still solid steel.

That happened me but they done it to the chassis rail. I honestly to this day still think he forcefully busted through as I was looking at it after the holes were busted through and it was still solid steel.

Not the first time this has happened, a family member of my ex had a metro turbo fully restored top to bottom, it went for its first test since the resto and he saw the tester attacking the under side of his pride and joy through the window. He said he ran around into the test area and gave yer man serious abuse! He said he lodged a complaint as-well afterwards.

Id be fairly pissed too if i spent €€€€'s on a classic for a cnut to be chipping away the underseal etc with a screwdriver causing more harm than good. You could eat your dinner off the underside of the car so i don't understand how in his case the tester would even think to put a screwdriver to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,274 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Doublebusy wrote: »
    @yamaha4life... How desperate are you - check out this chevy
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/chevrolet-lacetti-1-4-elite-nct-02-22-t-belt-done/27074854

Would anyone on here drive it.. I know of one that was used as a run about in a car parts shop and the thing couldn't be stopped

A 12 year old Korean reheat of a 20 year old Opel with a bit of cheap US branding... not knocking it if it were reasonably priced but it's not a €1k car, or if it is a €1k car, bangernomics is dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,818 ✭✭✭passatman86

alias no.9 wrote: »
    A 12 year old Korean reheat of a 20 year old Opel with a bit of cheap US branding... not knocking it if it were reasonably priced but it's not a €1k car, or if it is a €1k car, bangernomics is dead.

Its a nct'd sub 1k car located in waterford next to yamaha4life who needs a runabout.
    Go away for yourself and look for suitable suggestions for a bangernomics waterford located car. It definitely wouldn't be top of my list to run out the door and buy but Y4L isnt blessed with many options where he is.

As i said make a suggestion with your criticism it will go a lot further

• Registered Users Posts: 17,439 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

What's happened all the sub 1k 1.9tdi passats, golfs, 320d BMWs that tick all the boxes? It's nothing but absolute shìte being posted lately. I'm not knocking anyone's efforts by any means, it's more to say that you're getting exactly what you're paying for these days. 1k gets you a pretty awful car whereas 12 months ago it would have got you in a bangernomic that would stand the test of time.

I can't say anything, I paid €500 a few months ago for a 2003 hyundai getz to get me around after I sold my main car. I just think the bargains have kind of dried up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

What's happened all the sub 1k 1.9tdi passats, golfs, 320d BMWs that tick all the boxes? It's nothing but absolute shìte being posted lately. I'm not knocking anyone's efforts by any means, it's more to say that you're getting exactly what you're paying for these days. 1k gets you a pretty awful car whereas 12 months ago it would have got you in a bangernomic that would stand the test of time.

I can't say anything, I paid €500 a few months ago for a 2003 hyundai getz to get me around after I sold my main car. I just think the bargains have kind of dried up.

Car prices have gone up and I was just looking through Daft at house prices in my area(just browsing for some reason and not planning on buying) and they have gone up also. I'm sure if cv19 wasn't a thing prices would have gone up but I'm not fully sure things are going to work out we could be looking at a recession if things don't go back to normal soonish. I could be totally wrong and there will be no recession but I wouldn't be rushing out to buy a house or expensive car if I had the money for either atm as who knows what will happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

Slightly over budget at €2200 but a funky looking 06 Nissan cube

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/nissan-cube-1-4-automatic-7seater-nct-amp-taxed/27869455

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Car prices have gone up and I was just looking through Daft at house prices in my area(just browsing for some reason and not planning on buying) and they have gone up also. I'm sure if cv19 wasn't a thing prices would have gone up but I'm not fully sure things are going to work out we could be looking at a recession if things don't go back to normal soonish. I could be totally wrong and there will be no recession but I wouldn't be rushing out to buy a house or expensive car if I had the money for either atm as who knows what will happen.

I think even when things open fully there will be a wariness , lots of businesses won't reopen and unemployment will remain high, not a time to be taking on debt

• Registered Users Posts: 17,439 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Slightly over budget at €2200 bit a funky looking 06 Nissan cube

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/nissan-cube-1-4-automatic-7seater-nct-amp-taxed/27869455

It was up for 2k earlier in the week. Taken down and relisted for 2200. I'd say a half decent cash offer in person would take it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Doublebusy wrote: »

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/chevrolet-lacetti-1-4-elite-nct-02-22-t-belt-done/27074854

Would anyone on here drive it.. I know of one that was used as a run about in a car parts shop and the thing couldn't be stopped

I don't say this very often, but I'd rather walk

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2010-nissan-tiida/27865658

Selling this myself. Barely bangernomics and not a cool car by any means but it's a fresh reg for the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Doublebusy

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2010-nissan-tiida/27865658

Selling this myself. Barely bangernomics and not a cool car by any means but it's a fresh reg for the price.

Belive me i know you are a car person and i regret writing this post but please toyotafanboi whats going on with the stain on that passenger seat. And after how well you got that celica after a clean i know you have it in you to wash that tida engine bay lol

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

What's happened all the sub 1k 1.9tdi passats, golfs, 320d BMWs that tick all the boxes? ...

Taxes ( brexit & enviro ) have hit these types of imports, so existing stock in country gets valued higher ( Have to declare an interest here : I've a tee dee eye since the year dot and reckon that its about doubled in value in the last 3 years :eek: )

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Yeah, that's actually wear. It does take from the initial look. It's like someone used to get into the drivers seat then hoosh themselves up with their hand on the passenger seat. Was much much worse, steering wheel is fairly heavily worn too in fairness to it the finish is totally gone.

Generally when looking at a used car i'd rather find an engine looking like that. It's dusty and dirty but it's dry and honest

In the last year-18 months prices across the board have gone a bit mad. Was looking for a laugh what it would take to replace when I bought 3-4 years ago with the same car/age. Slightly lower spec, higher mileage, prices are 20-35% higher.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭gussieg

Went to look at a liana, all good except it needs a new alternator and belt for something, but alas in reviews alternators for them are the most expensive item to replace and seems something that is known to go in them. Also it has a small swimming pool in the boot.

Ive definitely noticed the increase in budget motoring cars prices, the gems at the lower end of bangernomics are few and far between. I missed a micra a couple of days ago not far from where i live it had 9 months tax and 3 months test only €350 so plenty time to tidy it up for next test as it would cost me very little as i do repairs myself.

The main car is 172 so only a cheap 2nd car required.

That said i went and looked at a 2008 civic hybrid this evening. Seller claimed a full service history and that ima battery cells replaced. Complete lies no history, car rough in person, two big dirty patches on both sills, no oil on gearbox dipstick. Few others things asking price €2500

• Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭gussieg

I know someone here got one and hates it, but the 2006 Getz I have is grand. Effing uncomfortable without an extra cushion for long journey, but so far very reliable and economical.
    And as for the availablity of cars, a few weeks back there were 85k plus cars for sale on done deal, it's now back to 81k. That's a lot of cars gone or sold.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭KevRossi

New NCT on this for €1,700.

Has most of the mod cons. I like these, they look respectable.

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/volvo-c30-coupe-tax-new-nct-17-3-22/27532140

ZDFjN2QzODcxYzhlNzI0ZGExOTk3NjAzOGIxZmRmNDSjgtnG6PGUyRe6GJdDczMWaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNzU3NjAzODF8fHwxMjAweDEyMDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

MmI0ZGQ1YTM3ZmU5NTE3NGQyNTQ0OWYzNjUxZWM2ZDI-CQ30ZVYyNVkgK71CeZTkaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNzQyODc1NDl8fHwxMjAweDEyMDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 596 ✭✭✭nsnoefc1878

KevRossi wrote: »

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/volvo-c30-coupe-tax-new-nct-17-3-22/27532140

They are nice, a bit different. Seem to be a marmite car, you either love or hate the looks.
    You'd need to wait til the pubs are back open if you fancy sitting in the back, cos you will need to be legless to manage it!

• Registered Users Posts: 73,415 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Love them, so many cues from the 480.

https://www.donedeal.ie/view/27236024

2007 civic hatch1.8 nct 02/22 342km €1250

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Love them, so many cues from the 480.
    +1
    2007, leggit to put ad in 'vintage' :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

KevRossi wrote: »

ZDFjN2QzODcxYzhlNzI0ZGExOTk3NjAzOGIxZmRmNDSjgtnG6PGUyRe6GJdDczMWaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNzU3NjAzODF8fHwxMjAweDEyMDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

MmI0ZGQ1YTM3ZmU5NTE3NGQyNTQ0OWYzNjUxZWM2ZDI-CQ30ZVYyNVkgK71CeZTkaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNzQyODc1NDl8fHwxMjAweDEyMDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

Lovely lookin but worth nathin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,415 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

If it was 08 it would be a lot more desirable.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement