Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Old Days on RTE

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,937 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Remember they used to constantly show these as filler between programmes?

Wow flash back overload :)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,165 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

I'm presuming that was the inspiration for Worker and Parasite

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Which reminds me of how the schedule was a good 10-15 out of whack by the end of the last programme of the evening. Time keeping really was optional back in the 70s and 80s. But then the VCR became ubiquitous so they had to keep to the published timings!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

I'm presuming that was the inspiration for Worker and Parasite

Lol, I can remember RTE showing stuff not a million miles off that. Bizarre one off animations from Czechoslovakia and whatnot.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

John's Bowman's Questions and Answers is also much missed. A controversial opinion, perhaps, but Vincent Browne's equivalent was a dreary mess.

I loved Questions and Answers. Watched it just before it finished as a young teenager and it really spurred a lot my interest in politics.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

National Film Board of Canada.

National Film Board of Canada.
    Loved them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Glaceon

If you said this image represented Irish television, you wouldn’t be too wrong!

Remember listing to John Kenny on a Sunday for new music a man who promoted his share of gigs and Irish bands on his show and seemed genuinely passionate, and Dave Fanning during the weekday evenings but I'd classify him as an arsehole now :D

Are they still on radio or do RTE still cater for rock/indie/metal/ insert genre here in the evenings? Been a long time since I listened to radio in the evenings.

On the TV side there was one thing I used to rush home from school to see, some weird stop motion animated show about Fionn mac Cumhaill they showed on the Den in the early/mid 90's. Can't find any info about it online.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,066 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

John Kenny has been doing a Classic Rock show 10-11pm on weekdays instead of The Late Debate, covid/lockdown seems to have put paid to that.
    It's good listening!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭adaminho

• Registered Users Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

do RTE still cater for rock/indie/metal/ insert genre here in the evenings? .

They used show TOTP and things like No Disco and have bands on Anything Goes, now it's wall to wall Cuntry n Irish now between TnaG and RTE, and every second Late Late has a C n I special.
    Musically it has degenerated into a monoculture.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,128 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

adaminho wrote: »

Good one
    Used to be on in the afternoon in the early '80s.

Anyone remember the significance of August 1978 to October 1978 for kids programming ?

It was the period between the death of Pope Paul and the election of Pope John Paul II, with the election and death of Pope John Paul I in the middle.

In one channel TV land it meant that there was very limited children's shows in the afternoon because there was so much coverage of papal deaths and elections.

Didn't they used to show Star Trek on Saturday evenings in the early nineties.

Original Star Trek used to be on after school in the 80s I recall eating my findus crispy pancakes watching it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭Five Eighth

More blasts from the past:

The Avengers with Steed and Mrs. Peel.

Get Smart.

Alias Smith and Jones.

Irish drama - Southside. The Spike.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,291 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Remember listing to John Kenny on a Sunday for new music a man who promoted his share of gigs and Irish bands on his show and seemed genuinely passionate, and Dave Fanning during the weekday evenings but I'd classify him as an arsehole now :D

Are they still on radio or do RTE still cater for rock/indie/metal/ insert genre here in the evenings? Been a long time since I listened to radio in the evenings.

On the TV side there was one thing I used to rush home from school to see, some weird stop motion animated show about Fionn mac Cumhaill they showed on the Den in the early/mid 90's. Can't find any info about it online.

John Creedon plays really good tunes. First radio show in ages that I have listened to

https://www.rte.ie/radio1/john-creedon/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭MfMan

More blasts from the past:

The Avengers with Steed and Mrs. Peel.

Get Smart.

Alias Smith and Jones.

Irish drama - Southside. The Spike.

The New Avengers were cooler, everyone wanted to do karate kicks like Purdy. Return Of The Saint with Ian Ogilvy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,208 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Batman
    Was it in black and white?

bobbyss wrote: »
    Batman
    Was it in black and white?

That was “the Batman”

Rte during the anything goes early 80s era showed the 1967 colour version which I still love :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,768 ✭✭✭Comhrá

This still gives me goose pimples.

The National Anthem at closedown. 1961.

• Advertisement

My American Mother in law couldn't believe that I was raised watching Rowan and Martins Laugh in as a kid as it was her favourite growing up!

Saturday mornings in the early 80s was mostly shows that at that stage were ten yeats old or more but it didn't matter, they were still great.

The Bearcats.

The Monkees.

Alias Smith And Jones.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,793 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

zorro2566 wrote: »
    Richard Kimble played by David Janssen!

Also in Harry O, great US private eye series

bobbyss wrote: »
    Blue Boy!
    Ironside in a wheelchair.
    Barnaby Jones used drink glass of milk.
    Switch? Robert Wagner Stephanie Powers.
    Mike Connors was in something. Mannix!!

I watch Mannix every Saturday & Barnaby Jones every Sunday. Up to final season of both

Sports Stadium with handwritten racing results on a card. Always began at 1:40pm after Daktari, Wonderful World Of Disney, The Invisible Man, Hardy Boys etc.

Jeremy The Bear

Lug - a weird looking yoke that lived in The Burren. Three minute programme. Early 80s.

Peter Murphy’s Cross-Country Quiz

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Anyone remember the Birthday Roller? Think it was on on Saturday mornings before Anything Goes.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Hermy wrote: »
    Anyone remember the Birthday Roller? Think it was on on Saturday mornings before Anything Goes.

During Anything Goes I think - early enough in programme

Hermy wrote: »
    During Anything Goes I think - early enough in programme

Think this was the song they played!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭trashcan

They used show TOTP and things like No Disco and have bands on Anything Goes, now it's wall to wall Cuntry n Irish now between TnaG and RTE, and every second Late Late has a C n I special.
    Musically it has degenerated into a monoculture.

No disco was a superb show. If for nothing else, it was there that I first heard the mighty Trashcan Sinatras when Donal Dinesen played Obscurity Knocks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,291 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

adaminho wrote: »

Think this was the song they played!

I think that was the music for the birthday roll on The Den

Advertisement