Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Old Days on RTE

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,769 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Superstars!

All those chin-ups and jumping jacks and frog jumps (or whatever they were called)!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Aonghas McAnally was over RTE like rash in the 80s. Then....?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,349 ✭✭✭✭siblers

iseegirls wrote: »
    Premier League been shown on a Saturday, but delayed by 30minutes. It was a case of staying away from Aertel/Ceefax for any latest scores.

Highlights of Serie A on Monday nights. I had a better knowledge of Italian football than the Premier league as a child

• Registered Users Posts: 12,349 ✭✭✭✭siblers

I remember watching Thou Shalt Not Kill by Cathal O Shannon when was I 10 or 11. Superb show

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Itssoeasy wrote:
    So he ate on air and sounded like he’d a bad head cold and had one area of knowledge ?

I always thought O'Reilly lazy and i feel the same way about Cahill.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,869 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Anne Doyle when she had straight jet black hair. I can just about remember the news intro and jingle here, think it was changed not long afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Anyone remember a programme about learning Irish from the early 80s called Anois Is Aris? It had a lot of what could be termed comedy sketches, Frank Kelly was in most of these.

Anyway one in particular sticks in my memory. It was a guy hanging in chains in a cell and a torturer (kelly I think) would show him pictures of various politicians and celebrities and ask "anseo?" to which yer man gave the right answers except for the end where he gave the wrong answer for JR from Dallas and the torturer fella starts flogging him with a whip and yer man roaring his head off. My mother was mortified at this and turned it off.

Mind blown , that was buried at the back of my mind :)

xieann wrote: »
    Murphy's micro quiz em

Format of show

3 competing families
    2 families would win a dragon 32 later upgraded to zx spectrum 48k rubber keyboard
    1 family gets a shot at winning car
    The final 5 questions to win the car could be quite hard.

A lovely Ford Orion

• Registered Users Posts: 3,349 ✭✭✭StevenToast

No Ryan Tubridy

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

No Ryan Tubridy

He did appear as a child now and again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,349 ✭✭✭StevenToast

He did appear as a child now and again

Ya...but he wasnt stealing 500k a year from the public then....

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

Ya...but he wasnt stealing 500k a year from the public then....

That’s so depressing

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭BrenMar

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Radio closedown at 1am. Or was it 2?

Two rounds of O'Donnell Abú when they started up again in the morning - and not the tinny elevator version they have now :(

Michael Murphy (he who was roundly abused for doing a dreams segment on some programme recently in his new capacity as psychotherapist) being voted newsreader of the year by the deaf community - despite having a full beard and moustache!

I used to love hearing O'Donnell Abu when I'd be up early enough as a kid, memories of having breakfast in the kitchen with my dad who believed the early morning was the best part of the day.

Azatadine wrote: »
    That clip was on something recently would you believe!

I'd love to see that again, what was it on?

Another bizarre sketch from it I remember had Frank Kelly and another guy in a tent, both wearing scouting uniforms. For some reason the other fella smashes a load of eggs over Frank's head.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,360 ✭✭✭MfMan

bobbyss wrote: »

Ya, he had a very laid-back presenting approach. Used do the sports program later on Sunday nights, Sports Scene, featuring among everything else grimy LOI coverage from far-flung places like Terryland Park and Ballybofey.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

Amuigh faoin speir.

BrenMar wrote: »
    I used to love hearing O'Donnell Abu when I'd be up early enough as a kid, memories of having breakfast in the kitchen with my dad who believed the early morning was the best part of the day.
    Given the time you posted that, he clearly left a lasting impression on you :D

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Don Coburn reading the news ( too young to remember Charles Mitchell )

Brian Farell presenting Today Tonight

cross channel soccer results taking about a half hour to read out on saturday evening as they devoted as much time to the scottish third division as the english first division

Pats chat , pat ingelsby sitting amongst children listening to them say whatever they wished , eccentric men with unconventional dress sense would be unlikely to front a show like that today

It was actually Don Cockburn :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭barney shamrock

bobbyss wrote: »

Des Cahill sounds like he's permanently stoned!

Many posts made through rose tinted lenses on this thread.
    Don't forget when RTE was offered the Father Ted tv series before channel 4 and others all RTE could say was " yeah nice work, now jog on"

Poor auld Snotzer.

Reputation shredded. No offer of any rehab. In the days before social media.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

Mad_maxx wrote: »

cross channel soccer results taking about a half hour to read out on saturday evening as they devoted as much time to the scottish third division as the english first division

And you knew from the tone of voice reading the home team's score if it was a home win, draw or away win before the full scoreline was read out!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,265 ✭✭✭AllForIt

This popped up on my youtube feed the other day. Great head of hair! Whatever became of her?

Back to radio....

Seen Óg Ó Ceallacháin reading out the results on a Sunday night - that was up there with the shipping forecast for hypnotic quality!

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭subpar

Not So Green
    Comedy half hour lunch time onn Sundays , way ahead of its time.

and Michael Dillon on Mart and Market knicknamed Cowjack.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭birdwatcher

There was a documentary called HANDS on in the evenings in the 70s...probably just after the news...used to hate it as a child....Love to see it now..All about old craftsmen (usually down the west) making things like musical instruments and weaving stuff.

Ha! remember Thelma alright....brilliant.
    She's still around...for anyone who's interested... and still looking HOT!
    http://www.thelmamansfield.ie/thelma/

There was a documentary called HANDS on in the evenings in the 70s...probably just after the news...used to hate it as a child....Love to see it now..All about old craftsmen (usually down the west) making things like musical instruments and weaving stuff.

Ha! remember Thelma alright....brilliant.
    She's still around...for anyone who's interested... and still looking HOT!
    http://www.thelmamansfield.ie/thelma/
    Those shows are all on YouTube, and are a fascinating and utterly brilliant watch - highly recommended!

xieann wrote: »
    Many posts made through rose tinted lenses on this thread.
    Don't forget when RTE was offered the Father Ted tv series before channel 4 and others all RTE could say was " yeah nice work, now jog on"

Poor auld Snotzer.

Reputation shredded. No offer of any rehab. In the days before social media.

RTE was never offered Fr Ted. That's an urban myth that's been denied by Matthew's and Lenihan but it still continues to get trotted out.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭head82

AllForIt wrote: »
    This popped up on my youtube feed the other day. Great head of hair! Whatever became of her?

She quit RTE to run a pub in Dingle. I was in it once. Nice pub, very friendly.

Mary Fitzgerald.

Make and do show "how do you do"

The original, quintessential and best RTE milf.

https://www.rte.ie/archives/2014/0127/500373-how-do-you-do/

• Advertisement

I remember having a mad crush on Kate Smith when she read the news on RTE,then she went on to UTV!

https://stillslibrary.rte.ie/indexplus/image/2122/074.html

074_1401e35e3bc940c6e4d06c66317f501713e1b879.jpg

Advertisement