Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Share Picks 2021 - Thread banned users post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Canonfan wrote: »
    As a beginner with only $15000 to start with, I'm not expecting any short term gains. I wish I started last March...

With these many forums / youtube videos etc both in English and Chinese (my mother tongue), I think a lot of researches are done, I just need to filter through the information. Low P/E ratio is generally better than a high P/E ratio, and a company with a lot of cash on its balance sheet is better to one burdened with debt, and the list goes on...

Yes there's a level of faith on these tips. I only pick the share I like and the company I believe who has a good business model and ethics.

I pick a few industries I'm interested, then stay aware of the daily news, trends, and events that drive the economy.

I'd advise you to dollar average into the market, rather than lob all 15k in at once.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭cronos

Layne wrote: »
    Skillz plummeting at an alarming rate, down 48% in the last month. Definite bargain at the moment if the fundamentals of the business have not changed. What do people think??

At what point do you cut a freefalling stock like this loose or is long term hold always the most advisable strategy??

I bought at 17 and am holding. Arguably should have dollar cost averaged into it. But who knows when the market will turn. (or if it will...)

Seems these small cap growth companies are in for painful times. Hopefully it stops. Seeing most of what I have in the red.

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭timetogo1

Timmaay wrote: »
    I'd advise you to dollar average into the market, rather than lob all 15k in at once.

Coincidentally I just watched this video on DCA. Its simple enough but good for beginners. And for me. I DCA but not disciplined.
    Would be worth putting a couple on a list to just add to each month.

https://youtu.be/XPyLW-Xu3YM

• Registered Users Posts: 14,021 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Bloodbath today, mainly due to QS and Argo.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭DutchYurt

Timmaay wrote: »

Have to agree here, the lob it in tactic will leave you with three kids and no money when ideally you want no kids and three money (simpsons reference incase you didn't get it)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭cronos

DutchYurt wrote: »
    Have to agree here, the lob it in tactic will leave you with three kids and no money when ideally you want no kids and three money (simpsons reference incase you didn't get it)

I do now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIEWgwRrY9s

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Chuckie_Egg

Very hard to find anything worth investing in at the moment. We are approaching the Sell in May come back in October time. I suspect the old financial world adage might be right.
    I do think we may see some turmoil in the Energy sector again with some more spikes going forward. Other than that everything looks pricey, and a lot of the frothy stocks especially any related to Ark are being hammered.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭bish76

Mostly red and finally finished with buying.... putting everything for sale on 20% upside GTC to catch short lived upswing, if any, for the month of April- May.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭MAJJ

Sold MAAC, one too many SPACS am waiting on - looking at you PTSH.

Bought more Teladoc and Crowdstrike.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,367 ✭✭✭Shedite27

crushproof wrote: »
    However some fker (institutional holder) sold a shed load of stock for 75p yesterday, sending the stock downwards to 74p. Absolute madness.
    I find when I follow stocks like this, people always get very exicted when there are institutional investors, for good reason. Means more people think there's growth prospects. The problem is that institutional investors are much better than retail investors at taking profits. They likely always knew they were selling at 75, regardless of how fast it got there. Can be frustrating.

• Advertisement

butrasgali wrote: »
    Why are all the ev stocks doing so bad this month bar tesla
    Combination of Volkswagen making strong moves, and the air getting sucked out of SPACs. And to be fair, looking at anything on a monthyl basis, you'll find bad months every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭gudede

jams100 wrote: »
    Once you lose conviction in what the company are doing / how they are implementing their strategy then cut.

I wouldnt cut a stock purely because its falling. Pull out the 5 year charts for roku and shopify, they both traded down / sideways for a long period before rocketing up.

Skillz expect massive growth of the next few years as they enter new markets like India.
    They have plenty of cash on hand and no debt, (none) on the balance sheet.

95% gross margin! Tell me another business that has that margin?

If they wanted to become profitable tomorrow I think they could, they are ploughing money into marketing.

Look I'm just an amature on boards but I'm holding and have another buy order set @14

Morgan Stanley own a large stake, Ark hold a piece, I like this as a long term pick

Vert hard to argue with Jams. Stock is getting hammered but will come back. CEO released a great statement the other week.

https://seekingalpha.com/instablog/53993077-andrewparadise/5576469-skillz-powering-esports-for-everyone

Myself, I started investing in January. Portfolio is red, the wife is laughing at me, but I’m happy out. Invested in companies I believe in and some SPAC for element of risk/growth. Made plenty of bad decisions but learnt loads in a short amount of time.

You only lose when you sell!!

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Cpfm

gudede wrote: »
    Vert hard to argue with Jams. Stock is getting hammered but will come back. CEO released a great statement the other week.

https://seekingalpha.com/instablog/53993077-andrewparadise/5576469-skillz-powering-esports-for-everyone

Myself, I started investing in January. Portfolio is red, the wife is laughing at me, but I’m happy out. Invested in companies I believe in and some SPAC for element of risk/growth. Made plenty of bad decisions but learnt loads in a short amount of time.

You only lose when you sell!!

Good call - if you keep faith in why you originally invested, patience is everything. I'm also in Skillz, my BEP is 22.4 but I've no spare cash at the moment to average down, but I will hold.
    I made all the wrong decisions when I started last summer, including selling out of a lot of trouble. Essentially I went with Motely Fool and picked up stocks that were supposedly bottomed out... :pac:.... total noob mistakes. Since then I've been guided by this forum and MyWallSt. Am a lot more comfortable with what I hold. I've a lot of high growth stocks which aren't doing well, my exposure to Tesla and Mega Cap is through Scottish Mortgage, and I've some moonshots and SPACS to keep an eye on too. I've got into metromile, clover health and gaurdant health - have high hopes for these but they are hammered at the moment.
    But main point is you're right - only sell if you have to.....

ps... haven't told my wife anything... I operate on a less is more principle... but i wouldn't recommend that... it doesn't lead to a good relationship...

• Registered Users Posts: 30 VertBlue

What's happening Argo?
    I'm still up about 10% on it, and plan on holding it long term, but it has had quite a fall this week

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭cc87

VertBlue wrote: »
    What's happening Argo?
    I'm still up about 10% on it, and plan on holding it long term, but it has had quite a fall this week

Looks like a lot of the BTC stocks took a hit with the COIN IPO. Probably people selling to buy COIN.

Looks like the US markets will be pretty volatile until inflation fears are gone, which might be late summer. Feels like there's a lot of cash on sidelines waiting for things to stabilise.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

What's happening Argo?

The LSE boards are probably the best place to keep up to date. Rumours about biggest shareholders selling since end of February - around 41m shares being drip fed back on the market. It's been steadily declining since the start of March. But that last 2 days have been very painful to watch.

The results for March have been fantastic, but sentiment may have changed with the 2 dilutions in Feb/March which hasn't helped!

I'm the same still in for the long run and have no problems buying more at current price. But it would be nice to see an upturn soon.

A few weeks ago it was all talk about Nasdaq and $20 a share. Things change quickly.

What's happening Argo?
    This guy explains it better than I ever could...

• Registered Users Posts: 30 VertBlue

That was great Shedite, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Atlas_IRL

cc87 wrote: »
    Looks like the US markets will be pretty volatile until inflation fears are gone, which might be late summer. Feels like there's a lot of cash on sidelines waiting for things to stabilise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqKkHj5DPT4&t=993s

He says the exact same thing. Worth a watch

• Advertisement

Clov getting some attention, at 144% short interest and up 9% so far today

Edit: Make that 17%

Thank you. Made my Friday. Sold it with 19% profit.

Another $Game?? and another fund on the hook? Crazy if it happens again
    Picked up 100 at $8.55, its now $9.70 and gathering momentum!!

Damn it ! It keeps going up after I sold.

Another $Game?? and another fund on the hook? Crazy if it happens again
    Picked up 100 at $8.55, its now $9.70 and gathering momentum!!

Fingers crossed.....with a BEP of 10.95 I’ve a while to wait yet!
    At least I’ve cut my loss in half anyway!

It's perfect timing, if this brews over the weekend then by next week there will be a full army that could moon this. I wonder which fund is going to collapse this time :D:D

It's perfect timing, if this brews over the weekend then by next week there will be a full army that could moon this. I wonder which fund is going to collapse this time :D:D

Wouldn’t mind seeing Hindenburg suffer a bit since they started Clov’s decline

• Registered Users Posts: 14,021 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Ive held CLOV for a while, averaged down to a BEP of around 9.50.
    Sold half my holding in 2 tranches earlier for a small profit, will let the rest ride into next week

• Registered Users Posts: 45,268 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Berkshire has been solid the past few year. Up 44%. Reliable

• Advertisement

PINS is down to $77. What's the general feeling about medium/ long term prospects. Tech growth stocks have taken general beating anyways but is there anything specific I am missing.

Advertisement