Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Share Picks 2021 - Thread banned users post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,869 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Im not touching it, have to agree with this piece to be honest, but watch it moon anyway:

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/coinbase-is-really-worth-5-billion-not-100-billion-strategist-155726412.html
    The IPO of crypto exchange Coinbase on Wednesday has captivated fans of digital currency and investors as they speculate on the potential for a $100 billion valuation on the company.

Just don't count New Constructs CEO David Trainer among the wild-eyed Coinbase bulls.

"I think it's [Coinbase] worth closer to $5 billion or $10 billion as opposed to $100 billion," Trainer tells Yahoo Finance Live. "Look, this is the brokerage industry — it's not new. Coinbase is not reinventing the wheel here in any way. They are just trading a new product. There is no reason that the New York Stock Exchange or Nasdaq couldn't also potentially trade crypto."

• Registered Users Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Jeff2

We're off now. Coinbase

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭jams100

Thargor wrote: »
    Im not touching it, have to agree with this piece to be honest, but watch it moon anyway:

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/coinbase-is-really-worth-5-billion-not-100-billion-strategist-155726412.html

Exactly, we have zero commission stock brokers, what's to stop zero commission crypto? (I'm not very knowledgeable on crypto so maybe someone can enlighten me here)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Hopefully just bought the dip at 318 there. Can't see it not hitting around 500 during this current BTC bulllrun.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Mara down to 42 today with coinbase taking center stage today. Good support around that mark, if it doesn't shot up premarket I'll look at getting in and another swingtrade towards 60 again.

• Advertisement

Hopefully just bought the dip at 318 there. Can't see it not hitting around 500 during this current BTC bulllrun.

It looks to be down 13.84% from 328 in after hours so I'd keep an eye on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭cronos

Jeff2 wrote: »
    It looks to be down 13.84% from 328 in after hours so I'd keep an eye on it.

It's 344.00 from what I can see after hours.

cronos wrote: »
    It's 344.00 from what I can see after hours.

That just happened in the last few minutes for some reason.
    I've watched all evening.

That just happened in that last few minutes.
    I've watched it all evening.
    Strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

I got a small amount of COIN earlier. I was working so just logged on and bought it but realised it must have been the first few minutes because I bought at $414 and 30 seconds later it was 420-something. Didn't check it again til after the markets closed and saw it was down 20%! I only bought half of what I had earmarked so I can average down if I want, going to see how it's doing tomorrow and beyond

I haven't used the Coinbase marketplace because I usually had a cheaper option but I use the Coinbase Wallet so I wanted a speculative amount in. Was surprised they even went public in the first place tbh but their first quarter numbers were pretty impressive so giddy up, let's go!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭cronos

I got a small amount of COIN earlier. I was working so just logged on and bought it but realised it must have been the first few minutes because I bought at $414 and 30 seconds later it was 420-something. Didn't check it again til after the markets closed and saw it was down 20%! I only bought half of what I had earmarked so I can average down if I want, going to see how it's doing tomorrow and beyond

I haven't used the Coinbase marketplace because I usually had a cheaper option but I use the Coinbase Wallet so I wanted a speculative amount in. Was surprised they even went public in the first place tbh but their first quarter numbers were pretty impressive so giddy up, let's go!

If it drops into the $200's I'm going to be interested. Almost got there yesterday but has been performing well since then so could be a brief drop.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Canonfan

Pre-market $364.00 +(10.88%) as I type, I opened position at $329 last night, I buy every stock that mentioned in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Canonfan wrote: »
    Pre-market $364.00 +(10.88%) as I type, I opened position at $329 last night, I buy every stock that mentioned in this thread.

You're either very smart or very stupid :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭VonLuck

How's that working out for you so far?

VonLuck wrote: »
    How's that working out for you so far?

So far (4 months) my whole portfolio is +5.2%, at one stage I was down -35% but I didn't panic sell I took it like a man. My confidence has grown since. My wife still doesn't know.

I should say I tend to look into stocks that most talked about here because three heads are better than one, i really appreciate those who share their research and thoughts. Posters here are polite, professional and more civilized compared to other places.

On a rainy red day, I also come here for comfort.

My wife still doesn't know.

I just hope none of that is her money!

I just hope none of that is her money!

It's money I set aside for holiday, transformer toys and gadgets :D

I use this joke a lot, if my wife sees my ups and downs on a daily basis, she will be like :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

So far (4 months) my whole portfolio is +5.2%, at one stage I was down -35% but I didn't panic sell I took it like a man. My confidence has grown since. My wife still doesn't know.

Haha I'm sorry but the contradiction in saying you took it like a man yet your wife still doesn't know!! Made me chuckle.

JeffKenna wrote: »
    Haha I'm sorry but the contradiction in saying you took it like a man yet your wife still doesn't know!! Made me chuckle.

Lol, sorry I meant on that day it separated the men from the boys. I told myself If I hold tight I still own X amount of shares. I guess most companies are trying to make a profit so the shares will go up sooner or later. I managed to buy 8 shares of TSLA at $542.

I also learned how to diversify my portfolio so not everything in red at the same time:P

Here are my thoughts as a newbie:

1. Include strong fundamental companie shares
    2. Never panic sell
    3. Avoid being greedy
    4. Resist the lure of Penny Stocks, only keeping a few for fun

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭cc87

Lol, sorry I meant on that day it separated the men from the boys. I told myself If I hold tight I still own X amount of shares. I guess most companies are trying to make a profit so the shares will go up sooner or later. I managed to buy 8 shares of TSLA at $542.

I also learned how to diversify my portfolio so not everything in red at the same time:P

2. Never panic sell
    3. Avoid being greedy

I would add keep some cash to go shopping with on red days in your account to the list.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Atlas_IRL

QuantumScape short report
    https://scorpioncapital.s3.us-east-2.amazonaws.com/reports/QS1.pdf

~Just reading through this at the moment, if true it will surely affect VW as well as they have been championing getting Solid State hard and saying its coming soon. Either we can get Cheap QS or its gonna tank hard, will be interesting to see their response and if VW have any.

cc87 wrote: »
    I would add keep some cash to go shopping with on red days in your account to the list.

Totally agree, only problem I have lately is that there were too many shopping days.

I usually keep 10% cash available and top up every month.

jams100 wrote: »
    I've been monitoring GSK for a while now and pulled the trigger this evening...

The Good
    - They have partnered with curevac to manufacture 100 million+ doses of their vaccine if it gets approval, might get a bump if/when the phaseIII results get released by curevac(expected in Q1).
    - Covid is here to stay, with new variants all hope is not lost, they still have time to catch up and they are back in testing with Sanofi but only in phaseIIb trials
    - Have 20 "assets" in late stage clinical trials
    - Vaccines were a big business for GSK in 2019 $7+ billion
    - Trade at 11 * earnings
    - Planning on demerging their consumer healthcare business in 2022, I'm not sure I really see the good in it but I guess it could be that the market values these higher a separate entities
    - If covid keeps evolving and GSK do come good on the vaccine they have big manufacturing capabilities and have a proven track record of mass producing vaccines cost-effectively

The Bad
    - Their covid vaccine with Sanofi failed, back to phase II trials for their next attempt, this delay is costing $$$
    - They went Ex-dividend yesterday
    - They have warned that the dividend is to be "reviewed" from 2022, Currently 6.3%, (It's going to be cut) I don't really mind if its reduced so long as they are executing their strategies well, still likely to be cirrca 3+% imo
    - Total debt has increased by 30% over the past 5 years, currently $27.1 billion

Look, I see this one a bit like Intel and I was right on that one, markets tend to over reward and over punish companies. At the end of the day the human population is growing and people are living longer that = a need for more pharmaceuticals. Like all pharmaceutical companies they are going through a relatively bumpy period but that is the nature of this industry you ultimately need a bit of luck many treatments/vaccines fall at the final hurdle. To generate a near $6 billion in net income last year means they must still be doing something right! These behemoths are like massive ships they take time to turnaround, I personally like the dividend as this turnaround happens, I know others on this forum are pretty anti-dividend but each to their own I guess.

Everything you buy shouldn't be a SPAC/Hyper growth company. This, for me is a buy and sit tight for the next 5+ years. The time to buy is when there is blood on the streets and I'd be happy to average down on this if it continues to drop. Anyway, just my thoughts, dyor
    Hopefully a few people got in around the lows at the end of Feb

GSK - up 5%+ today (10%+ since this post)
    - Interest growing in curevac's vaccine due to failings with Astra and J&J (which GSK will help manufacture)
    - EMA reviewing GSK's Covid monoclonal antibody for Covid-19
    - Hedge fund Elliot Management has recently taken a multi-billion pound stake in GSK according to financial times

• Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭crushproof

Anyone else hold AAF.L Airtel Africa?

Had been doing very nicely recently. Up to 95p from 65p 6 months ago.

However some fker (institutional holder) sold a shed load of stock for 75p yesterday, sending the stock downwards to 74p. Absolute madness.

2. Never panic sell
    3. Avoid being greedy

Out of curiosity, how much of your own research into these companies do you do? Is there a level of blind faith on these tips or do you investigate the financials and future prospects in a lot more detail yourself?

Out of curiosity, how much of your own research into these companies do you do? Is there a level of blind faith on these tips or do you investigate the financials and future prospects in a lot more detail yourself?

As a beginner with only $15000 to start with, I'm not expecting any short term gains. I wish I started last March...

With these many forums / youtube videos etc both in English and Chinese (my mother tongue), I think a lot of researches are done, I just need to filter through the information. Low P/E ratio is generally better than a high P/E ratio, and a company with a lot of cash on its balance sheet is better to one burdened with debt, and the list goes on...

Yes there's a level of faith on these tips. I only pick the share I like and the company I believe who has a good business model and ethics.

I pick a few industries I'm interested, then stay aware of the daily news, trends, and events that drive the economy.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭butrasgali

Why are all the ev stocks doing so bad this month bar tesla

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Layne

Skillz plummeting at an alarming rate, down 48% in the last month. Definite bargain at the moment if the fundamentals of the business have not changed. What do people think??

At what point do you cut a freefalling stock like this loose or is long term hold always the most advisable strategy??

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭sirboby

Layne wrote: »
    Skillz plummeting at an alarming rate, down 48% in the last month. Definite bargain at the moment if the fundamentals of the business have not changed. What do people think??

At what point do you cut a freefalling stock like this loose or is long term hold always the most advisable strategy??

General rule, if you would buy the stock at this price, don't sell it.

Of coarse if you have conviction that it is not done falling then you can try to game it buy selling it now and rebuying lower, but 90% of the time you are going to end up buying it higher than you sold.

• Advertisement

Layne wrote: »

Once you lose conviction in what the company are doing / how they are implementing their strategy then cut.

I wouldnt cut a stock purely because its falling. Pull out the 5 year charts for roku and shopify, they both traded down / sideways for a long period before rocketing up.

Skillz expect massive growth of the next few years as they enter new markets like India.
    They have plenty of cash on hand and no debt, (none) on the balance sheet.

95% gross margin! Tell me another business that has that margin?

If they wanted to become profitable tomorrow I think they could, they are ploughing money into marketing.

Look I'm just an amature on boards but I'm holding and have another buy order set @14

Morgan Stanley own a large stake, Ark hold a piece, I like this as a long term pick

Advertisement