Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones 3 - Read First Post!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,202 ✭✭✭corkie

abarkie wrote: »
    Anyone got any thoughts on the Poco F3?

So You Want A Poco F3? Poco F3 VS Redmi Note 10 Pro VS Poco X3 VS Xiaomi Mi 10T Pro VS Xiaomi Mi 10

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 podgey1992

nuttyboy79 wrote: »
    AFAIK Xiaomi UK don't ship here. The Irish site isn't an official Xiaomi site so he's not going to have it any faster than Honorbuy or any of the other sites you can buy it from

I just bought it using AddressPal - hoping I don't get stung for customs charges, but the phone looks great and it's got a 20 pound early bird discount on the UK site now, from £269 to £249 for the 128GB version.

REALLY hoping I don't have to pay VAT but I suppose it's a risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭the heathen

Suckit wrote: »
    I don't get those type videos (sorry, haven't watched that actual one yet) effectively posting 4 phones from the same company. Redmi may now be a sub-brand of Xiaomi, but they are still under the one umbrella. Not sure if they are all around the same price bracket but even if they are (especially Xiaomi) they will likely have just cut different corners or enhanced different areas for different reasons.
    It's not really a fair or accurate comparison considering the only company advertised in the video stands to win no matter what the outcome.

If the comparison on the actual phones/specs/performance/price is honest and fair why would it matter if they all came from the same company?

I just want some extra independent info to help me an informed decision on the phones - I don't really care who makes them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

If the comparison on the actual phones/specs/performance/price is honest and fair why would it matter if they all came from the same company?

I just want some extra independent info to help me an informed decision on the phones - I don't really care who makes them.
    I had removed my post before you replied, but as you replied.
    I don't believe it really is giving an informed decision. Just more of an advertisement for Xiaomi.
    It's not really comparing them imho when it doesn't give much scope for anything else, software included.
    It is just comparing 4 phones from one company, so imho not really honest or fair.
    I'd much prefer to see a wider range of choice when looking for a phone. What their build quality is like, their os, the camera, DAC, amp, screen, software etc.
    Xiaomi take many shortcuts to trim the price, often the screen, sometimes the battery or something else and I personally wouldn't be a fan of their OS at all, but that is just an opinion, and I could use a custom rom when possible.
    There are many other reasons I believe it would be better and more fair to compare other brands products in the same price range, but the main points are there.

@suckit

That particular creator is some what of an xiaomi fanboy. Videos maybe sponsored by them or maybe getting devices sent for review.

He also review earbuds etc.

Thought it was a good enough video to compare the xiaomi choices.

I two like xiaomi hardware but can't stand the OS.

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Problem with my Poco f2 recently is that the phone screen just will not sleep when I'm on a call.

Anyone any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

corkie wrote: »
    @suckit

That particular creator is some what of an xiaomi fanboy. Videos maybe sponsored by them or maybe getting devices sent for review.

He also review earbuds etc.

Thought it was a good enough video to compare the xiaomi choices.

I two like xiaomi hardware but can't stand the OS.

I installed Lineage on my 8T. The NFC doesnt work, but didnt work when I reflashed MIUI, so back to Lineage. The Bluetooth experience at least is so much better now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭rizzee

abarkie wrote: »
    Anyone got any thoughts on the Poco F3?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cy-o4O6w6Fg

1 month on review.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,432 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

McMurphy wrote: »
    Problem with my Poco f2 recently is that the phone screen just will not sleep when I'm on a call.

Anyone any ideas?

Have you tried the simple things, like a hard reboot? (Press and hold the power button for 10-12 seconds) :)

Try dialing *#*#0588#*#* to get into the proximity test

• Advertisement

So I’ve had the F3 out for a couple of hours now and my first impressions are very positive.

8/256gb €371 from Amazon.de

Did a fresh install after logging into my Google account so currently have just 26gb used after getting most of my apps on and configured.

Nice big screen with excellent viewing angles, buttery smooth when you turn on 120hz.
    Lightning fast - over 10 apps open in the background and seamless switching between them.
    Best fingerprint sensor I’ve used on a phone, hands down. It is instant.
    Charged it up with the included 33w (I had a UK adapter which screws it into place, so no wobble) Will come back in a couple of days to comment on this, but at 97% it says 38hrs available. I’m sure I’ll get over a day with it.

I’m not a big camera user, maybe just everyday snaps. Taken one or two photos for testing, looks fine to me. I can’t go into much detail with this.

Using the cover that came with it (very nice) and have a glass protector on already (you can see some bubbles in photo)

I like the Poco launcher Ui. The split screen notification and control centre is pretty cool.

Speakers are very loud, almost too loud for ringtones! I usually have most phones at around 80% loudness, I have this close to 50%

Overall very impressed. When it got delivered and set up it felt like Christmas, as someone who changes phones every month or so it’s been a while since I’ve had that feeling!! I know I’d get my money back easily, even a couple of months down the line.

One negative from Amazon, packaging was terrible, literally the sealed phone box in a cardboard box with no bubble or surrounding protection.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭R11

NATLOR wrote: »

I'm thinking of upgrading from my Mi Note 10 Lite as its only the 64gb version and I've only 5gb storage left ( I know I could delete photos etc but I'm in the mood for a new phone!). Is there a major difference between the Poco F3 listed above and this Poco X3 Pro https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08ZN94VNZ/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_1?smid=A2NIGYLRR3D3MY&psc=1
    5G doesnt bother me as I'm with Gomo who only have 4g. Just looking for a good,solid quick phone with decent battery, takes decent pictures and has more storage that what I currently have.

Thanks. 128gb should be enough for me so SD slot is not a deal breaker. Basically, is it worth the extra £50 for the F3 as opposed to the X3 Pro

^^^ I updated the links to compare them to your current phone.

I posted a video here where the two phones are compared.

^^^ I updated the links to compare them to your current phone.

I posted a video here where the two phones are compared.

Thanks. I've a Note 10 Lite, not a 10T Lite...unless they're the same phone??

R11 wrote: »
    Thanks. I've a Note 10 Lite, not a 10T Lite...unless they're the same phone??

My mistake linking the phones in that link, I think I got it right in the other.
    With xiaomi naming schemes it gets confusing?

The Poco X3 Pro Is The Wrong Phone For Me, And Probably You
    ^^^ From the same youtube creator.

https://www.kimovil.com/en/compare/poco-x3-pro,xiaomi-mi-note-10-lite,xiaomi-poco-f3

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Boo_hoo

I have had the Poco F3 for a week and wanted to leave some tips about removing bloatware for anyone buying this phone.

I used this app Xiaomi ABD Fastboot Tools to remove all the bloat.

I ended up with only these apps installed. As you can see only a few Miui/Xiaomi apps are left installed.
    Notes:
    • System App updater kept mainly for camera app(auto updates off)
    • Disabled Package Installer to no ill effect for playstore or apk install. Unsure if effects System app install.

Apps left:
    zXyLuY9.png

Apps removed

Other tips: In security app turn off recommendations and security scan.

PIP doesn't with youtube and gesture control. If you swipe up from the bottom of the screen you only get background play. To get pip you have to swipe down from the top and click settings.

If anyone else has some good tips please let me know.

Thanks for the above! Bit annoying having the Mi Browser and 1 or 2 others so will be good to remove. Is there any way to HIDE applications from the App drawer? I don't use Categories - I know there is a hidden feature here but the Apps still appear in ALL. Any help with this would be great.
    Edit - double swipe left and a hide option appears. Came up as a suggestion on my screen today.

Just to add to my previous inital review, I'm just about getting a day battery out of it. Was hoping for a bit more but it will do. The charging is impressive with the 33W charger. Used a bog-standard 5W charger yesterday and took over 4 hours!! Won't be using that again...
    Also, I use Dark Mode and noticed some apps (Strava) flick between Light and Dark mode which is strange. There is the option to force apps in Dark/Light mode, but Strava isn't listed. Just a minor quirk though. Apart from that, I'm very happy with it.

Edit - there has been a system update to 12.0.4.0 which includes some battery optimisation. Good news

Edit 2 - mi browser can be fully uninstalled after latest update!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Not sure if this is the correct thread or not but I'm looking at getting a cheap enough replacement Huawei phone (P20 lite screen is badly cracked) - any thought on whether to go for another P20 lite or the P40 lite? Similar enough prices on amazon.de

Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭oranbhoy67

is there any good upcoming Chinese brands to watch out for?
    or any chinese brands that dont have bloatware & have near stock android

I have a Xiaomi Mi9t ,still running well but there has always been a little battery drain from android system that bugs me, I have it down to about 13% a day from debloating etc & I always get a full day from a charge easy but im a light enough user

looking for something with a big screen ( would love a pop up selfie camera again but that fad seems to have passed which is a pity)
    USB-C charging and a 3.5mm jack & as I said Stock Android or as close to it as possible

right now im thinking of going back to motorola..

Im in no rush though just wondering whats out there ATM if anyone has any ideas

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

oranbhoy67 wrote: »

I have a Xiaomi Mi9t ,still running well but there has always been a little battery drain from android system that bugs me, I have it down to about 13% a day from debloating etc & I always get a full day from a charge easy but im a light enough user

looking for something with a big screen ( would love a pop up selfie camera again but that fad seems to have passed which is a pity)
    USB-C charging and a 3.5mm jack & as I said Stock Android or as close to it as possible

I have an oppo.
    USB-C
    Earphones jack
    Pop up selfie camera
    Great battery
    Big screen.

Overall v happy with it

I have an oppo.
    USB-C
    Earphones jack
    Pop up selfie camera
    Great battery
    Big screen.

Overall v happy with it

can you let me know which model please?

Oppo, Realme, iQoo, Vivo, OnePlus are all brands of the BKK Group. They are among the best selling phones in China at the minute.
    Realme started as a sub brand of Oppo and iQoo as a sub of Vivo. Between them, they are pretty much dominating the best sellers over there (by model), followed by Huawei/Honor (they are top overall).
    The last three lists (October, December, March) have started featuring Samsung and Apple phones. Xiaomi slowly getting pushed out. They didn't make the most recent top ten list. They were 10th the two lists prior to that compiled by Zol.

iQoo would be considered the mist 'up and coming' I guess. But Vivo, Oppo are the both best selling brands after Huawei (which includes Honor in its sales)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

can you let me know which model please?

Oppo Reno2

Suckit wrote: »
    Oppo, Realme, iQoo, Vivo, OnePlus are all brands of the BKK Group. They are among the best selling phones in China at the minute.
    Realme started as a sub brand of Oppo and iQoo as a sub of Vivo. Between them, they are pretty much dominating the best sellers over there (by model), followed by Huawei/Honor (they are top overall).
    The last three lists (October, December, March) have started featuring Samsung and Apple phones. Xiaomi slowly getting pushed out. They didn't make the most recent top ten list. They were 10th the two lists prior to that compiled by Zol.

iQoo would be considered the mist 'up and coming' I guess. But Vivo, Oppo are the both best selling brands after Huawei (which includes Honor in its sales)
    Oppo Reno2

Much thanks to both of you !!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭Chuck Noland

In the budget phone category lads to use as a work phone nothing major required from it or the camera... what would people recommend? Say for around €100 single sim and not locked to any networks?

**** Edit

Will this work in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭NATLOR

In the budget phone category lads to use as a work phone nothing major required from it or the camera... what would people recommend? Say for around €100 single sim and not locked to any networks?

**** Edit

Will this work in Ireland?

No link to your question but if it takes a sim card it will work here

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08NR9SFL5?pf_rd_r=C3RY35GC24P63GQ5EPSX&pf_rd_p=6e878984-68d5-4fd2-b7b3-7bc79d9c8b60&pd_rd_r=f8cf0f5f-812c-4565-9faf-5cd44a74c0e7&pd_rd_w=24Q3v&pd_rd_wg=NIPzj&ref_=pd_gw_unk

Good price for the Xiaomi redmi Note 9 comes in around €130 delivered

• Advertisement
Advertisement