Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones 3 - Read First Post!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,203 ✭✭✭corkie

How do you find it? I'm retiring my k30 which has given me nothing but problems since I got it last February.

Only have it since Monday. seems to cover most my preferences. Handy Clone Phone app. That let me take apps and messages from my Redmi Note 5 pro. So was up and running faster than I thought. Not much bloat with ColorOS.

Dual Sim + Dedicated SDCard slot (so not taking up a sim slot)

No bootloader unlock for it, if you want custom roms etc. There is also a 5G version and newer models with MediaTek processors. A72-5G or A73 or A73-5G

https://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=10332&idPhone2=10196&idPhone3=10489

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Irish94 wrote: »
    Brilliant. Thank you for the reply.

What kind of Oppo phone do you own? Looking at different types on Amazon at the moment. How is the camera on it?

It's a Reno 2. Can't fault the camera either. I've been using Samsung for over 10 years, this honestly is as good and for the price,even better than them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭BKWDR

Have much of you bought Oppo phones? Would you recommend? Heard about the brand for the first time on Newstalk this week, Jess Kelly was talking about it.

I like Jess Kelly but i think she really just pushes Samsung and Apple iphones because they get sent to the station all the time for review. Her and Adrian Weckler. If i see another article about the Apple 600e head phones!

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭padjocollins

oppo-A73 looks like a decent phone. I've my eye on the price of the xiomi redmi 10s . very similar phones
    https://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=10489&idPhone2=10769#diff-

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭the heathen

BKWDR wrote: »
    I like Jess Kelly but i think she really just pushes Samsung and Apple iphones because they get sent to the station all the time for review. Her and Adrian Weckler. If i see another article about the Apple 600e head phones!

Weckler wrecklers my head - he's a total Apple fanboy a Liverpool fan and generally strikes me as being up his own hole - that's a bad combination. :D

And Jess Kelly seems really lovely but she did a phone camera review a couple of years ago and based her results and recomendations on pixel count rather than taking into account software processing or actual image quality - that's really poor stuff imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Irish94

It's a Reno 2. Can't fault the camera either. I've been using Samsung for over 10 years, this honestly is as good and for the price,even better than them.

Great! I was looking at the Reno versions. I've been a Samsung user, like you, for close to 10 years now so I think I'll make the switch. I hope it's not too much hassle transferring files from gallery, messages and WhatsApp content etc. Did you buy from the Oppo official website or Amazon?

Haven't used this thread before, but it seems very helpful to new folk like myself. You're a kind bunch. Thank you.

Great! I was looking at the Reno versions. I've been a Samsung user, like you, for close to 10 years now so I think I'll make the switch. I hope it's not too much hassle transferring files from gallery, messages and WhatsApp content etc. Did you buy from the Oppo official website or Amazon?

Haven't used this thread before, but it seems very helpful to new folk like myself. You're a kind bunch. Thank you.

Oppo have an app for that to clone your old phone.

https://www.oppo.com/en/newsroom/stories/conveniently-clone-old-phone-data-to-your-new-phone/

Play: - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.coloros.backuprestore

Google if used will have all your contacts, so when you login in contacts get transferred automatically.

WhatsApp Content is in the cloud, and you can only have one device at a time, active with content. Once you configure the app on the new phone all content will be there.

You can transfer apps (without data) as well.

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,396 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

I'm having awful trouble with my k30 lately and have been trying to unlock the bootloader to flash a global or eu rom. I connected it to the computer earlier and went through the steps, I got a message then saying to wait 168 hours before unlocking.

Does this mean that once I hook the phone back up next Thursday it will unlock the bootloader? Or is there a chance it won't let me unlock it? It's a last resort before buying a new phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

corkie wrote: »
    Oppo have an app for that to clone your old phone.

https://www.oppo.com/en/newsroom/stories/conveniently-clone-old-phone-data-to-your-new-phone/

Play: - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.coloros.backuprestore

Google if used will have all your contacts, so when you login in contacts get transferred automatically.

WhatsApp Content is in the cloud, and you can only have one device at a time, active with content. Once you configure the app on the new phone all content will be there.

You can transfer apps (without data) as well.

I found this easy tbh. Went like clockwork

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭rizzee

rizzee wrote: »
    I have attached a screenshot I took from the announcement video.

Just some more info on the Poco F3, here's a screenshot from AliExpress App and the shop name is the official Poco store. Pre sale/early bird for 2 hours only on Monday 29th? That's a bit ridiculous... I'm crossing the fingers for Amazon /Xiaomi Ireland for pre order on the first day, this Saturday the 27th...

Got a 2 pack of glass protectors and camera protectors for less than a tenner delivered on Amazon there. Well prepared!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Shamrock 64

Just some more info on the Poco F3, here's a screenshot from AliExpress App and the shop name is the official Poco store. Pre sale/early bird for 2 hours only on Monday 29th? That's a bit ridiculous... I'm crossing the fingers for Amazon /Xiaomi Ireland for pre order on the first day, this Saturday the 27th...

Got a 2 pack of glass protectors and camera protectors for less than a tenner delivered on Amazon there. Well prepared!

I notice Ali are saying the 29th are you sure xiaomi.ie are the 27th.

I notice Ali are saying the 29th are you sure xiaomi.ie are the 27th.

From the original announcement video it said the 27th and then gave the list of different sites. Could be different days for each one I guess!

Have much of you bought Oppo phones? Would you recommend? Heard about the brand for the first time on Newstalk this week, Jess Kelly was talking about it.
    Been using one for about 8 months. Can't fault them. Brilliant battery too. It's still on 68%now ,and I'm an extremely heavy user.

Just follow up on OPPO A72 have it now 5 days and suits me fine.

Light user, battery 5,000 mAh

Used for 51h 10m ~~ 100% to 42% (SOT 4h 5min) ~~ So 2 Days of use.

Edit: - 2 hours to charge from 38% to 100% with my Lenovo Duet Charger.

Have this ordered for faster future charging: -

TEYASI Multi USB Fast Charger Plug UK,Quick Charging 3.0 Wall Charge Mains 34W/6A 4Port USB Plug Adaptor

Downside of getting an EU charger from .de

• Registered Users Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭ForestFire

From the original announcement video it said the 27th and then gave the list of different sites. Could be different days for each one I guess!

Looking to get the Poco F3 also and finding it very frustrating checking multiple sites to see who has it and will they deliver to Ireland. Is was supposed to be released yesterday at 13:00, according to the POCO/Xiaomi sites??

Then early bird offer is also finishing on the 30th?

ForestFire wrote: »
    Looking to get the Poco F3 also and finding it very frustrating checking multiple sites to see who has it and will they deliver to Ireland. Is was supposed to be released yesterday at 13:00, according to the POCO/Xiaomi sites??

Xiaomi Poland have it there and it says "soon" . Poco Italy have it too. Giztop & Aliexpress have it. It seems to be pick and mix with the early bird sites available. Hopefully it will clear up a little on Monday !

ForestFire wrote: »

My understanding is the early bird offer finishes on April 7th,Ali Express only starting early bird offer on Monday but hoping Xiaomi.ie or Honor buy will sell from Monday.Dont fancy waiting for five weeks for Ali to deliver,so hoping for Xiaomi who offer 48 hr delivery from Ireland or honorbuy who operate in Europe,also no duty to pay.Seemingly only selected countries are getting the early bird offer too.

Seemingly only selected countries are getting the early bird offer too.

I'm happy to pay the extra €50 just for peace of mind with warranty etc from Amazon or the likes anyway!

I'm happy to pay the extra €50 just for peace of mind with warranty etc from Amazon or the likes anyway!

Totally agree, better safe than sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭ForestFire

My understanding is the early bird offer finishes on April 7th,Ali Express only starting early bird offer on Monday but hoping Xiaomi.ie or Honor buy will sell from Monday.Dont fancy waiting for five weeks for Ali to deliver,so hoping for Xiaomi who offer 48 hr delivery from Ireland or honorbuy who operate in Europe,also no duty to pay.Seemingly only selected countries are getting the early bird offer too.

I see the problem now...At the top of the page they say the early bird starts from 26.03 for X3 pro/ F3, but later down they have the two split for the 2 different start dates, so I think the F3 starts from the 30th to the 3rd, at least on the German website.

edit:- The other confusing point was the X3 finishes on the 30th so I thought it was both finishing on this date also.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,396 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Has anyone spotted the Redmi note 10 anywhere yet? Bar Aliexpress as I don't fancy waiting 40+ days for delivery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Toxica

Has anyone spotted the Redmi note 10 anywhere yet? Bar Aliexpress as I don't fancy waiting 40+ days for delivery.

No, on kimovil it only has Aliexpress and Banggood listed as sellers so far. I ordered one on the 8th from Ali, hopefully arriving this week according to tracking. Or maybe next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭emg74

Hi, looking to upgrade my son's phone. He has a Xiaomi A1 but it's starting to get a bit old & slow. Only problem is he wants something about the same size which seems impossible to find. Any recommendations... We have a few Xiaomi phones in the house so we're fans of the Chinese brands

• Subscribers Posts: 41,076 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

emg74 wrote: »
    Hi, looking to upgrade my son's phone. He has a Xiaomi A1 but it's starting to get a bit old & slow. Only problem is he wants something about the same size which seems impossible to find. Any recommendations... We have a few Xiaomi phones in the house so we're fans of the Chinese brands

there are very, very few decent android these days less than 6"

if he was willing to go up a little bit the A3 woudl be a great replacement

• Registered Users Posts: 4,568 ✭✭✭Treppen

Mi Note 10 !!!

https://www.honorbuy.com/303-xiaomi-mi-note-10-global-version

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭ImARebel

emg74 wrote: »

You could try a pixel 2a. I'd to get a small phone for my dad best I could do size wise and still be half decent.

Other option might be the pixel 4a. Again smaller form
    Also.i usually buy Xiaomi but couldn't get a small phone

Last tip. Look up the dimensions of his current phone on kimovil. And then do a search based on size. You might find something to fit the bill.

As previously said hard enough to get a small phone these days. Those were the best of what I found

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭ImARebel

Treppen wrote: »

Wouldn't recommend it if you're going to be taking lots.of photos. Dog slow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭smilerf

the mother dropped and smashed her honor 7c
    Can you recommend something similar please about 100

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭emg74

Thanks for replies, I'll have a look at the A3 and the pixel phones. He's in junior cert so I'll get him to do a bit of research himself.. from looking at the A3, there doesn't seem to be many available new.. a couple on eBay

• Registered Users Posts: 3,329 ✭✭✭radiospan

Found this TradingShenzhen shop through the Kimovil site linked in the OP.

Can anyone confirm if it's true what they say on this page below, that there is no import duty or charges if you choose the "Global Priority" shipping option instead of DHL? Sounds too good to be true?

https://tradingshenzhen.com/en/content/transportation-infographics

• Advertisement

Just downloaded a 'ColorOS 11.1 ~ Android 11' update for the OPPO A72.

About to hit install, wish me luck.

Report back when completed.

Edit: - Seemed to have installed fine: - CPH2067_11_C.71

Edit 2: - Got a second update to _C.74 inclusive of march security patch.

Advertisement