Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Official Off Topic Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Some media outlets saying photo "may" have been digitally altered.

Perhaps covering themselves given all the fake stuff that winds up on the net.
    But as said, if fake, it makes the "co-operating with the enquiry" comment strange, given he could kill all the speculation in a moment if it is fake.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

Big gamble on Elliot's yoke in the 3:30 Naas

25s into 4/1

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭zpehtsfd

https://twitter.com/kitbag86/status/1366091875174780933

No idea is this is true. Wish IHRB would just release a statement.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭Panrich

I see Charles Byrnes had a winner at Naas today. What has happened to his 6 months ban? I thought it had been upheld on appeal.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

Panrich wrote: »
    I see Charles Byrnes had a winner at Naas today. What has happened to his 6 months ban? I thought it had been upheld on appeal.

Ban starts March 4th Panrich. Needed that few bob today to get him through the 6 months

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Peintre Celebre

Forget Cheltenham. First meeting of the season at the curragh Sunday Choo Choo

• Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

Forget Cheltenham. First meeting of the season at the curragh Sunday Choo Choo

Surely you have one juicy fancy this week? Concertista won't be forgotten!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,316 ✭✭✭naughto

Surely you have one juicy fancy this week? Concertista won't be forgotten!

I read that with out the c in fancy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Peintre Celebre

Just had at the races on the box there and I almost pitied Mick Fitz analysing a flat handicap at Saint Cloud there. Couldn't even sound as if he knew what he was on about. Surely there is someone in the UK they could get offer some insight

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭Coneygree

To be fair, if I didn't know that he was a former jockey you'd almost think he knows **** all about jump racing too. He's a spoofer in my opinion, parrots the same ****e week in week out and his crocodile tears prior to Cheltenham were the final nail in the coffin. Hack.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭byronbay2

He has always been a desperately safe/bland option for British TV but after his ridiculously over-wrought reaction to GE sitting on the dead horse I have no time for him whatsoever.

However low I thought British/Irish racing had sunk (which was pretty fu*king low!) I didn't think they would all deliberately gang up and pretend to be devastated by a picture to bring down GE as a human sacrifice to the anti-racing brigade.

I have never met or spoken to Gordon Elliott in my life but I hope he comes back better and stronger than ever after this ridiculous 6-month ban (generously reduced by The IHRB from 12-months!) and stands in the Cheltenham winners enclosure next March to tell The BHA, The IHRB, Cheveley Park Stud and every other mofo who thought they could kill him off that he is BACK!!

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭slimshady007

I wonder how the whole GE affair was managed with the owners. I think Cheveley Park were the only ones to jump ship (I thought others would too given the furore over it).

Obviously on an official level he's not the named trainer but is he the main man in every other aspect. If I'm an owner and paying what I assume would be top dollar to have my horse trained I want Gordon Elliott training my horse, not a relative unknown like Denise Foster (no offence).

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭dickdasr1234

Holymudderagod, are we still going on about this?

I wouldn't have thought it took half a brain to figure out what the reality would be on the ground!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭BumperD

My fancies for Aintree.

- Clan des Obeaux
    - Dusart
    -Thyme Hill

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭tryfix

https://english.kyodonews.net/news/2021/04/be03d11e3dd0-horse-racing-white-filly-sodashi-wins-oka-sho.html

The all white superstar filly in the making Sodashi continued on her merry way to the top with a win this morning in the Japanese 1,000 Guineas.

A movie star of a filly

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭FiftyP

I just fecking love horse racing (at the moment.) I played a little bit of lunch time poker and made a whopping six cents, and now I'm getting ready to watch the Fairyhouse races (only betting on 3 because my betting account is cleared out after a mad last few weeks.)

There is a purpose to this post, and that's to say racing has been a ray of light since Cheltenham. With lockdown, being stuck at home all day (for various reasons beyond lockdown) and the general pressure of being able to do nothing and go nowhere rediscovering racing since Cheltenham has helped me put a shape on my day.

I have issues beyond Covid, but in normal times I'd go out once a week or fortnight, meet friends and have a few drinks. Some days I'd go into the old man pub and watch the races while supping porter. That's been gone for over a year. Even in normal times my sleep is all over the place, along with my mood and my ability to get rid of the noise in my head. This past month of racing, even only betting fifty p on some races, has meant I can go to bed looking forward to watching racing the next day instead of staying awake half the night wondering what the point of sleep is if there's nothing to be ready for. Waking up in the morning I get to look at the going, check the Racing Post, then look at the form of the horses running in the day's races. Then it's my 25p each way bets to get on, listen to a podcast or two as the day goes on, or Luck on Sunday, read a few twitter accounts and do some household chores, then we get to the feature of the day, the racing. For a few hours my heartrate goes up, I get a bit of excitement, and there's something to focus on. Computer games never really did that for me, mostly just turning me into a zombie, and TV can be even worse, but racing gives me all the proper things I need for my day. Something of an intellectual exercise, testing my skills against the oddsmakers (I'm down, but it's still fun,) the excitement of racing, and all the associated racing hobby pursuits. Then, mostly, I fall asleep with my head in the right place (after an evening of winding down.)

This is coming from nowhere, my post, but I just want to say the racing for the past month has put an order in my life that I didn't have before, especially in our current very strange circumstances, and for that I am very thankful.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,962 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

FiftyP wrote: »
    I just fecking love horse racing (at the moment.) I played a little bit of lunch time poker and made a whopping six cents, and now I'm getting ready to watch the Fairyhouse races (only betting on 3 because my betting account is cleared out after a mad last few weeks.)

There is a purpose to this post, and that's to say racing has been a ray of light since Cheltenham. With lockdown, being stuck at home all day (for various reasons beyond lockdown) and the general pressure of being able to do nothing and go nowhere rediscovering racing since Cheltenham has helped me put a shape on my day.

I have issues beyond Covid, but in normal times I'd go out once a week or fortnight, meet friends and have a few drinks. Some days I'd go into the old man pub and watch the races while supping porter. That's been gone for over a year. Even in normal times my sleep is all over the place, along with my mood and my ability to get rid of the noise in my head. This past month of racing, even only betting fifty p on some races, has meant I can go to bed looking forward to watching racing the next day instead of staying awake half the night wondering what the point of sleep is if there's nothing to be ready for. Waking up in the morning I get to look at the going, check the Racing Post, then look at the form of the horses running in the day's races. Then it's my 25p each way bets to get on, listen to a podcast or two as the day goes on, or Luck on Sunday, read a few twitter accounts and do some household chores, then we get to the feature of the day, the racing. For a few hours my heartrate goes up, I get a bit of excitement, and there's something to focus on. Computer games never really did that for me, mostly just turning me into a zombie, and TV can be even worse, but racing gives me all the proper things I need for my day. Something of an intellectual exercise, testing my skills against the oddsmakers (I'm down, but it's still fun,) the excitement of racing, and all the associated racing hobby pursuits. Then, mostly, I fall asleep with my head in the right place (after an evening of winding down.)

This is coming from nowhere, my post, but I just want to say the racing for the past month has put an order in my life that I didn't have before, especially in our current very strange circumstances, and for that I am very thankful.

What happens if racing gets postponed, etc... in the current climate? I wouldn't be solely relying on Horse Racing to get by. www.ecollege.ie are doing free courses on a lot of varying stuff - whether you're employed or unemployed. Just a suggestion.

What happens if racing gets postponed, etc... in the current climate? I wouldn't be solely relying on Horse Racing to get by. www.ecollege.ie are doing free courses on a lot of varying stuff - whether you're employed or unemployed. Just a suggestion.

I'm sure I'll manage something. Racing is just the bonus on the day. I've survived long enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Still wondering why this thread hasnt been re-named the: Slattsy Appreciation Thread: Boards Champ 2021

:(

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

I’m willing to take a bribe to make it happen

• Advertisement

Like a trophy for the winner.

however if anyone dies, thread should be named after them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭abarkie

The Mig wrote: »
    I’m willing to take a bribe to make it happen

Next years ante post portfolio?:D

Should be an interesting next race, the 1.35 at Yarmouth.. Rab's on the 10/3 2nd fav, with Oisin on the 2/5 jolly.. Both of them for Johnny G in this 4 runner affair :P When's his '21 day holiday' coming into effect I wonder...

^^^^

And Rab comes 2nd to the well-backed jolly (finished 1/4 - was 8/11 this morning I think).. Rab looked beat about 1 1/2 out, and rallied to make a match of it with the idling favourite; who looked like he could be an easy winner, once he hit the front a furlong or so out... At least The wee Scotsman was trying :pac:

Looks in.

Thread still not named after me.

Leaves forum.

^^^

If Saint Sam and Elimay (good picks those) had won (done them ew myself per your recommendation), then you'd be in with a shout.. Not to be tho :pac: Another year at least for ya to wait :P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,316 ✭✭✭naughto

^^^

If Saint Sam and Elimay (good picks those) had won (done them ew myself per your recommendation), then you'd be in with a shout.. Not to be tho :pac: Another year at least for ya to wait :P

Slatts cant pick his nose never mind a winner

naughto wrote: »
    Slatts cant pick his nose never mind a winner

Not his fault Mark Walsh gave the race to the winner tbf.. And Colreevy (who undeservedly beat Eli that day) goes in again today at 7s :eek: in a race with two hotpots in it...

Jumps season is almost over, and I'm thinking of starting up a new spreasheet to track wins/losses, mostly as a way of keeping track of how much I'm betting (pub bets and accas don't get included, as they're so rare and for funny amounts.)

Considering I might eventually pop it into a database and do some programming hijinks on it (and use my basic self-taught programming skills) what would you think is vital stats to include in the spreadsheet? I take everything from the Racing Post, so it has to be free on there, but what'd you include?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭Plasandrunt

You can get your profit and loss totals from your online accounts. Surely that's easier?

Advertisement