Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How hard is it to get the rolex you want

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64,548 ✭✭✭✭unkel

• Registered Users Posts: 26,555 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

unkel wrote: »
    That is just stunning.

Watch taste is stupidly difficult to understand. I love most Patek's, Rolex's, AP's, ALS' but for whatever reason that new 5236P just doesn't have the same affect on me as their previous watches and I can't quite put my finger on it.

Now that being said, if I had one or even got to see one in the metal, I'd probably change my mind quicker than Usain Bolt :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 64,548 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Funny you mention that, I'm the same, have never worn one. But so far the looks of the likes of the Aquanaut and Nautilus leave me cold. But that 5236P is gorgeous on so many levels to me. Stunning blue colour, the right size (41mm) the insane beauty of the complications presented in such a simple way. I would love to try it on. But best not, that would ruin me financially :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,452 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Watch taste is stupidly difficult to understand. I love most Patek's, Rolex's, AP's, ALS' but for whatever reason that new 5236P just doesn't have the same affect on me as their previous watches and I can't quite put my finger on it.

It's got a uni-brow. Having said that, I don't like any watch with day or month that isn't a simple pointer (maybe with the sole exception of the DayDate). Yet, I almost never have issues with date windows!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭Fitz II

The 5236P is lovely, but the more I look at it the more the calander annoys me. Its too close together, and the O looks like a 0 giving some weird MON01Jan on the dial. Reminds me of the layout of a SKX. The leap year indicator is a bit pointless, must be a more discreet way of displaying that or have it on the caseback, having a 1,2,3 on the dial for a year is a bit stupid, doesnt tell you the actual year. And the day night is better done on the 5205 with a 24 hour dial and large seconds. I find small seconds unreadable and you always need extra time to check the watch is running. From 10:30 to 2:30 the date is often going to be heavily obscured. With the Platinium microrotor could use some more contrast on the movement, maybe some blued screws or some gold leaf relief on the patek symbol on the rotor.

Hard to tell about the case shape, but it certainly is less visually interesting than the usual perpetual. All in all I am giving this one a 8/10. At these prices, and given that Patek are the masters of Clean complexity I think there are some usability issues done for the sake of making it look clean at 10:30 stopped on any day without a zero in it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭redlead

How hard is it get a regular yachtmaster 40 from an AD? Ref 126622

They surely aren't as in demand as the cheaper SS ones (sub, explorer, OP etc) or the more popular ones like a Daytona. Would I get laughed out of it or would you get one after a few months ? I've no AD history and am not willing to give any sexual favours.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

redlead wrote: »
    I've no AD history and am not willing to give any sexual favours.

Oh well, I'd say your chances are pretty slim then.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,250 ✭✭✭Homer

Oh well, I'd say your chances are pretty slim then.

Based on the former or the latter fact :p

redlead wrote: »
    How hard is it get a regular yachtmaster 40 from an AD? Ref 126622

They surely aren't as in demand as the cheaper SS ones (sub, explorer, OP etc) or the more popular ones like a Daytona. Would I get laughed out of it or would you get one after a few months ? I've no AD history and am not willing to give any sexual favours.

If its stainless its hard to get. The YM is not the most in demand model, but nonee are just sitting around. All you can do is ask, your not asking for a daytona so I would say its a reasonable request.......its all such bull****, hop on chrono pay 1k-500 over retail and its in the post to you tomorrow, save your time and dignity.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 DPG

Hi all, by way of an update the Daytona purchase never went ahead but I have been offered a number of Rolex pieces by various ADs but they just weren’t for me. There is definitely supply available just not for the ultra in demand models.

One thing I was shocked to see was just how large the price difference is between models in the UK and Ireland. I am currently being offered the same piece by a Northern and Souther Ireland AD. It is coming in at €48,000 in the south and £35,000 / €40,600 in the north. I was always under the Impression the prices were standardised worldwide by Rolex with variations due to FX only but does not seem to be the case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,688 ✭✭✭893bet

What have you been offered?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,549 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

at the moment most stuff is a little cheaper here, what model is it, the rrp is generally on the rolex site.

Currently being offered a rose Sky Dweller 326935 with Rhodium dial. RRP for these is listed as POA but it’s €47,700 and £35,000 up north

Well that watch on oyster flex is

£33,200 ( €39k)

https://www.watches-of-switzerland.co.uk/Rolex-Sky+Dweller-M326235+0005/p/17304596

v

€40k

So it would appear one of those prices is wrong, im guessing the UK price as 1,800 seems an unlikely premium for a solid gold bracelet.

Are you sure they arent quoting an ex vat price?

Be careful with those pieces, I have several friends offered very expensive solid gold daytonas and sky dwellers, these pieces sell from dealers only a little over retail, so the buy price would be under retail, even on new unworn watches. If you really want the watch thats fine, the cheapest way is off and AD but if you are going to flip you will loose some money. Also a watch like that is a hard sell, dealers want 4 stainless rather than one PM piece, much easier shift the cheaper watches. Often dealers just refuse these pieces (hence the AD offering them out the front door rather than the back). Dont get slipped a dog, the heat is totally out of the skydweller market.

Thanks for that. Im waiting on a call from the Northern dealer to confirm as I just checked the GBP vs Euro price of a rose gold Daytona and its €1500 so something is definitely not correct.

Just re-read the most of this thread. Interesting reading!

This piece of man maths served me well at least. A rare right move!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,364 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

I must say that maybe I don't know how to appreciate high-end watches or maybe I overlook the material and technical aspects.

But none of those would interest me in the slightest. Half of them - now I'm sure they look impressive in the flesh with quality manufacturing, precision and materials and awesome mechanical engineering - but half of those look like unaesthetic bling and the rest looks over engineered and barely functional. Aa in easy to read the time off.

Wouldnt have any of them if the were a €1,000. There isn't as single tasteful, aesthetically pleasing watch in that list - in my opinion.

Post edited by CalamariFritti on

begs the obvious question then :)

what would your 100k fantasy budget go on?

• Advertisement

I understand my comment might smell of envy. And while I wouldnt call it envy, yes, I would like to be in a situation where I can drop 100k on a watch. Sadly I'm not or anywhere near. and most likely never will be.

But besides that those watches really wouldnt do it for me at all.

So what would be my 'grail watch' if I had 100k, unlimited funds basically? The answer is I dont know. Sadly I dont really have a target atm. Terrible position to be in, I know. Currently I'm looking for inspiration. On reddit r/watches and the likes.

So my ideal watch doesnt exist atm but I'm after falling in love with Nomos to some degree. I like clear lines and form follows function and not very busy dials.

If there was a 39mm hybrid between Tangente Neomatik update and Tangente Sport with a font closer to Club Neomatik (as in not as slim but no Roman numbers) on a plain sailcloth strap with a clasp... With a midnight blue or grey or maybe ruthenium dial.

That would be fairly close. I'm a man of simple tastes and limited funds.

P.S. I woke up early and couldnt sleep again and was just browsing... and thought I was fairly safe not stepping on any owners toes criticising those. Sorry if I offended any owners. Its all so subjective anyway.

sorry implying envy wasnt my intention at all, was just curious really, we can all do with inspiration :)

You weren't. It was mostly me being conscious of my post coming across like that.

100k watches are for multi-millionairs. If say I won 100k on the lottery tomorrow the last thing I'd do is blow it all on a watch. Probably use it for lots of different things, like holidays and helping the next generation with home ownership.

Yes, of course, having a spare 100k and having 100k to spare on a watch are not the same thing at all. Its just an academical debate. For me anyway.

Tastes change as your level changes. When you start to consider things at that level you do it with the tastes of somebody with that sort of dosh to drop on a watch. Seeing as we all love a car analogy, its like comparing a 20k car to a 2 million euro hyper car. Totally different buyers, in totally different segments and vastly different requirements and tastes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭mailforkev

In my head a 100k watch is generally one of three things:

1. New watch that actually retails at 100k - these are commonly awful looking footballer-style pieces;
    2. New watch on the grey market - something like a Patek 5711, I wouldn't be able to justify the 300% grey premium;
    3. Something vintagey - classic Daytona etc.

Luckily, I don't have a spare 100k floating about for watches but I think I'd struggle with option 3 the least.

FitzII quote:

"Seeing as we all love a car analogy, its like comparing a 20k car to a 2 million euro hyper car."

I hate car analogies.

• Advertisement

Being a cyclist that doesnt surprise me. ;)

I think the issue that I have with those watches isn't that they cost 100k. I just find them ugly. If they cost 20k or 2k I'd still find them ugly. Except for the PP top right corner which I dont find ugly, just not my thing.

The fact they are 100k is just... remarkable. If they weren't 100k I would never have commented on ti.

Not the type of watch I'm into at the moment (or that I could ever afford one) but a Rolex Daytona is a different fish altogether. To go back to the (not liked) car analogy. If I was in that league financially I still wouldnt buy that Silver Shadow II with the chintz dash, but that 1964 SL 280 or DB5.

Advertisement