Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What kind of person beeps a learner driver?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭YoshiReturns

Green Mile wrote: »
    I’ve been driving 15 odd years, I’ve never beep at anyone in my life.

I have beeped only to remind people that the light is green, but only if they haven't realised after a good few seconds. Also, if someone is about to hit me accidentally. No point in beeping someone who is going to hit me on purpose.

Edit

Also beeped animals sitting on the road or blocking the road. E.g..sheep in Co Kerry. Funnily enough never in another county. Hmmm

Never beeped the Healy Rae's either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Some think they were granted a full licence by God himself and were never learners themselves.

And some of those were from a generation in 1979 which got licences in an amnesty :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

You do realise you can drive a car legally with a fully licensed driver?

I really don't understand that reasoning, a learner deserves more patience, as... they're learning.

Yes I do understand...but that doesn't mean that I have to agree or think it to be a good concept :pac:

Getting driving lessons from auntie Gertie who never drives further than the church or shops herself and who hasn't got a hope in hell of intervening other than with "good advice" to the learner and "indignant looks" at everybody else is just stupid and dangerous.

And when it reaches the point of well exceeding my normal amount of patience for other drivers, I beep.

simples really

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭con___manx1

It's training them for the real world of driving! People do get beeped at. I'm doing them a favour. I usually beep a 2nd time just as they re start the car for some extra teaching.
    When I was a learner I used to stick my fingers up at drivers like that. Then laugh.
    Once I did it and this lad went ****in crazy shouting. I just nodded my head smiled and drove off.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,290 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Ah yeah, I'm sure you were never a learner. You must have come out of the womb in a caravan ready to get on the road.

Some people didn’t learn on the road in a car.

A lot of people who grew up on farms would have been driving from a young age and were incredibly confident by the time they got out on the road.

Insanely when a 16 year old can drive a rig capable of nearly 60kmh and unlimited weight, they don’t need much training by the time they can drive a car

• Advertisement

peasant wrote: »
    People who can't drive (yet) have no business being on the road.
    Unless they are in a proper instructors car with dual controls, with an instructor who will eventually lend a helping foot if there is no progress being made.

I drove around for years on a learner permit not a bother. Damn nerves kept getting in the way of me passing and then even applying for the test. Got there in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Green Mile wrote: »
    I’ve been driving 15 odd years, I’ve never beep at anyone in my life.
    you haven't lived

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

Speedline wrote: »
    It's a lousy thing to do. Some people can be right cnuts when they get behind the wheel. I bet they wouldn't roar at someone in Dunnes to get out of their way.

I would shout at a c,unt in dunnes for being in the way. Usually it's a couple of oulwans with trollies/buggies blocking up a whole aisle and not taking the hint to move. Absolute ignorance.

Wouldn't beep a learner though, if they conk it, I don't see how blowing a horn will start a car faster ? The learner already know they've conked it !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

Yes I do understand...but that doesn't mean that I have to agree or think it to be a good concept :pac:

Getting driving lessons from auntie Gertie who never drives further than the church or shops herself and who hasn't got a hope in hell of intervening other than with "good advice" to the learner and "indignant looks" at everybody else is just stupid and dangerous.

And when it reaches the point of well exceeding my normal amount of patience for other drivers, I beep.

simples really
    How much would it cost to fully learn to drive if one was paying an instructor all the time? The 12 mandatory EDT lessons hardly prepare someone to drive alone, so what do you suggest learners who've completed them do?

Beeping a learner will likely stress them out and they'll stall even more - how does that help the situation? I don't think anyone improves their driving by being beeped. :D

When I was a learner I used to stick my fingers up at drivers like that. Then laugh.
    Once I did it and this lad went ****in crazy shouting. I just nodded my head smiled and drove off.

I got out of the car to clarify the problem at one stage. Communication can be difficult when one can only beep/ beep back. Face to face it's much easier for the beeper to explain exactly what the issue is :) My dad was mortified.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Antares35 wrote: »
    How much would it cost to fully learn to drive if one was paying an instructor all the time?

Back 40 years ago it cost me over 2000 Deutschmarks and I did it with minimum mandatory lessons.

My first car cost about 2500 if I remember correctly.

You can see, the massive expense still hurts 40 years later.
    That's actually the real reason I beep at learner drivers ...cheapskate freeloaders, the lot of them :D:D:D

Back 40 years ago it cost me over 2000 Deutschmarks and I did it with minimum mandatory lessons.

My first car cost about 2500 if I remember correctly.

Well we aren't forty years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Piollaire

My driving instructor said that he once got beeped out of it while giving a lesson. He got out of the car and threatened the guards on mr. horn, which quickly put an end to it.

I once beeped a car for pulling out without indicating - the dodgiest scumbag I ever saw stuck his head out the window and shouted abuse at me. I now reserve the horn for its intended purpose of accident avoidance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

Tomorrow stick an L plate on your car and drive as normal, you will see the abuse you get despite driving the same as normal.

Being unsure of the law on this, I sometimes drove the car having not taken down the L plates after my daughter's lesson (from Dad:pac::eek:). Yes the behaviour was appalling, especially driving up my rear end trying to speed me up, I never consciously exceed the speed limit, and generally would be on it or +/- 2kmh (as per the speedo).

I tend to keep these in mind, when driving :
    a learner should not be made more nervous by any other driver;
    the non learner who does something stupid in front of me, has probably been driving perfectly all week and this is a simple mistake. I've been guilty of a few myself.

Piollaire wrote: »
    My driving instructor said that he once got beeped out of it while giving a lesson. He got out of the car and threatened the guards on mr. horn, which quickly put an end to it.

For beeping?

Jesus christ people would want to harden up

Nothing wrong with beeping a learner that needs beeping. They're meant to be learning, not collecting cuddles.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Piollaire

For beeping?

Nothing wrong with beeping a learner that needs beeping. They're meant to be learning, not collecting cuddles.

Your lack of empathy for a frazzled learner means you may not have got enough cuddles as a child.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,827 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

When my mum was in her 70s or maybe 80's, she cut out at a junction and caused a load of beeping and anger (turned out that the car had an intermittent fault that took multiple works to diagnose fix). It just so happened that a good friend of mine was walking by. She fcuked the beeper out of it, calmed my mum down and got assistance.
    Such a stroke of luck.

Beeping at anyone who's stalled/cut out is extremely stupid and, potentially nasty. In that situation, my mother was completely equipped for driving and handling a breakdown. What she wasn't equipped for was dealing with a total arse while she dealt with the stress of having a car break down at a junction.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

I did it once on a desperately slow driver, but didn't realise it was a learner until after I beeped them. Felt awful after.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I always give learners a little ‘“”fail play, well done, go you, you’re doing great” toot.

Are we not supposed to? Loads of people did when I was learning. Have people become less friendly and supportive since?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,934 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

For beeping?

I don’t agree there. I don’t believe the law would agree either.

You are supposed to use a horn to alert other drivers of your presence or in an emergency...not to ‘make them hurry’....that’s actually illegal.

We all had to learn, up to lesson three I was pretty crap, I was aggressively beeped (holding the horn) once on I think the second lesson for being a second or two slow taking off at the lights and my instructor fair fûcks got out of the car and gave this little midget behind the wheel of a skoda fabia a few choice words... it was funny as fûck if slightly unnerving too for a second..

Brave considering the car was plastered with A***a driving school decals... but he got me to pass first time..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭Mimon

Piollaire wrote: »

I once beeped a car for pulling out without indicating - the dodgiest scumbag I ever saw stuck his head out the window and shouted abuse at me. I now reserve the horn for its intended purpose of accident avoidance.

A car just pulled out in front of me at a roundabout and I had to break hard to avoid going into him so I beeped him.

We were taking the same exit and he stopped the car, a huge steroid infused gangster body builder type came over angrily to my window. I still gave him a mouthful through my now locked door :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,220 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

I was behind a learner driver (learner plates. The car, not a motoring school car) as we approached a roundabout. The learner stopped and when the roundabout was clear, stalled the engine as he/she tried to move off. They restarted the engine and tried again, only this time they let the clutch out too fast with not enough throttle and the the car "bunny hopped" a few times and stalled again!

At this point the guy behind me decided to lean on the horn for a good few seconds. The learner tried agin and agin the car lurched forward and stopped again. At this point I was getting a bit peeved, but it was clear the learner was totally stressed/panicking at this point.

I was tempted to pull over, get out and offer to move the car over, it thankfully the passenger got out and ran around to the drivers side and took over.

The who,e incident lasted no more than two minutes or so. I suspect we would have been delayed about 30seconds less if the muppet behind me didn't make things worse by beeping the horn!

Beep Me! I'm Irish!

EGO = 5
    EGO + CAR = 10
    EGO + CAR + HORN = 15
    EGO + CAR + HORN + DELAY = HULK SMASH !

• Registered Users Posts: 24,934 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Beeping a horn won’t actually make another driver who is struggling to progress, to progress any faster... if anything the opposite. So people need to be calm, relax and wait, instead of adding to the drivers anxiety...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

Strumms wrote: »
    Beeping a horn won’t actually make another driver who is struggling to progress, to progress any faster... if anything the opposite. So people need to be calm, relax and wait, instead of adding to the drivers anxiety...

It will if they are clearly looking at their phone instead of the light that's been green for the last while during their important twit/inst/fb update

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

I remember been blown out of it when learning, out one Sunday morning with the auld fella between lessons. Came up to a traffic light on the hill as it turned red. Panic sets in. Light goes green, I stall. Try to take off again; stall. Light goes red.

Few moments pass and light goes green again once more, already highly stressed and sensing the growing frustration in the queued up traffic behind me....I stalled. Horns are blowing like mad by this stage, but not from the fella behind me, he could see I was obviously a learner and I could see him in the mirror get out to let the car behind him know of the imbacile behind the wheel up front. Auld fella reckoned I'd taken enough punishment by this stage and figured this hill start wasn't gonna happen this particular morning, he took over.

I still approach that same light on the hill with fear and trepidation, even though I have no problem with hill starts now, I still hear those horns....beep...beep....

BEEP BEEP!!!

:-(

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I paid a lot of money for this BMW and you are blocking me.

Beep, beeeeeeep.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

Had an L driver (with instructor) in front of me a few months ago that cut out at lights. No problem. Next set of lights the same. The following 3 sets of lights, did the same. 5 times in a row. She was laughing most of the times it happened (possibly nervous laughter)

I was more pissed off with the instructor tbh. The girl needed more time in a empty car park before being unleashed on the main roads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

I only beep if they have Nordie reg plates

Advertisement