Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What kind of person beeps a learner driver?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Panjandrums

I've started beeping at people on phones in congestion areas and drivers on the phone who don't recognize that I've done them a favour by pulling in dispite the obstacle being on their side of the road.

A beep followed by eye contact helps ensure they knew the beep was for them, resulting in them putting their phone down to their lap to check that I'm not a guard.

Dear dickhead E-Class Merc driver from 2007,

I was the guy with the L plates on the N7 before it became the M7 in my Corsa attempting to overtake 3 lorries aiming for the inside lane on what was known as the Carew Park roundabout at the time in Limerick before the bypass/tunnel. I made it through but you didn't thanks to the truckers. Your constant flashing lights/driving up my hole/me with no where to go did not help.

Hope you eventually got to your destination.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,482 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

My 18 yo daughter is a learner at moment.
    The beeping thing only happened us once where she was cautious at a busy junction and probably could have proceeded but caution is better as a learner.

Definitely see a fair bit of bullying at roundabouts etc when the L plates are on a car.
    I occasionally use the corsa we have the L plates on and so does my wife and there is a noticeable increase in lack of respect for the L plated car.

It’s very bad form all round.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭.anon.

peasant wrote: »
    People who can't drive (yet) have no business being on the road.
    Unless they are in a proper instructors car with dual controls, with an instructor who will eventually lend a helping foot if there is no progress being made.

As long as they've got a fully licenced driver alongside them, they have the exact same right to be on the road as the impatient dickhead who thinks he's a great driver, but doesn't know what a horn is for. And no good instructor would ever 'lend a helping foot' to assist with progress. That's not what dual controls are for.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,830 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Lu Tze wrote: »
    It will if they are clearly looking at their phone instead of the light that's been green for the last while during their important twit/inst/fb update

You’d need to be able to see through their seat to establish that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭stoneill

I was driving one time when my car stalled.
    The guy behind beeping all the time while I was trying to restart the car.
    Despite all attempts, the car just would not start, with the constant honking right behind.
    Eventually I went to the other car and handed him the keys and said, why don't you see if
    you can start my car and I'll sit here honking the horn for you.

(didn't actually happen, just a joke I heard once)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,815 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

A fcuking arsehole

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,205 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Generally only beep when people aren't paying attention to the lights (Usually on their phone).

Beeping a learner is likely to be counter productive. Putting an inexperienced driver under more pressure doesn't help anyone.

I remember cutting out at lights before when I was learning. I stayed calm, restarted the car and got moving. My dad rolled down the window and started shouting at your man :pac:. About as helpful as the beeping.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Unless they are in a proper instructors car with dual controls, with an instructor who will eventually lend a helping foot if there is no progress being made.

Not on their own but with other drivers is ok. Did you only practise with instructors?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

apologies if this has been posted already....

but this is a mandatory watch...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

What kind of person beeps a learner driver?

I'm guessing somebody who hasn't noticed the L badge? Maybe it was obscured by reflecting sunlight or something?

You can't beep a Learner, it's just not on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

I would never ever hassle a learner - it's rude and dangerous. At the end of the day though, we need to get to a stage here where learners are only on the road strictly for diving lessons or tests - and practising in quiet private areas. Not ambling around indefinitely on public roads while on a provisional licence.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

I would never ever hassle a learner - it's rude and dangerous. At the end of the day though, we need to get to a stage here where learners are only on the road strictly for diving lessons or tests - and practising in quiet private areas. Not ambling around indefinitely on public roads while on a provisional licence.

So how else are learner drivers supposed to gain experience in order to pass the test?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

GT89 wrote: »
    So how else are learner drivers supposed to gain experience in order to pass the test?
    By learning how to operate the car itself to some degree of fluency, not being dropped in at the deep end with bugger all car control in heavy or rush hour traffic. And lord knows I've encountered that way too often over the years. Clearly newbies to the whole driving thing bunny hopping away from the lights, if they're lucky, stalling if they're not, while being harassed by other drivers and being near terrified by the experience. I most certainly don't blame the learners for that nonsense, I 100% blame the so called instructors involved. Oh and one of the few NCT fails I've had was because my horn wasn't working(missus!!) and I hadn't noticed, so I'm not exactly one to beep the horn as a general thing.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭ShatterAlan

You deserve a special place in hell if you beep a learner driver when they've cut out.

The same kind of bollocks who overtakes a funeral cortege tutting and shaking their heads or sighs impatiently at an old woman moving too slowly at the checkout counter.

It's training them for the real world of driving! People do get beeped at. I'm doing them a favour. I usually beep a 2nd time just as they re start the car for some extra teaching.

There is one purpose and one purpose only for a car horn and that is to alert someone to danger such as a pedestrian in their own little world crossing the road oblivious to you oncoming or a cyclist driffting into your path as you approach or even someone driving with one of their wheels wobbling around because the lugnuts weren't tightened probably.

It's not to express your impatience, anger or disapproval at someone's mistake.

It's ok to give a quick tap on the horn if someone is daydreaming and didn't notice the light turning from red to green but that's about it. Blasting the horn at a rookie for some petty misdemeanour is a crappy thing to do. The instructor who is probably a better driver than 95% of us is more than qualified to point out the mistake.

Aren't you allowed to drive a car with L-plates during certain hours, accompanied by a licensed driver and not on motorways if you hold a learner's permit in order to improve your skills?

I would think that the more a learner practises the more proficient they become.

As it happens, I did my learning in an instructors car with dual controls and only after I passed my theoretical test...anything else would have been illegal.

As for beeping at learners, I beep at them as much or rather as little as I beep at everybody else. Everybody gets to make a mistake, L plate or not. Sure I make them myself, every now and then.
    But my patience does have limits.

Tell me someone who can take lessons WITHOUT having passed the the theory test?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

Wibbs wrote: »
    By learning how to operate the car itself to some degree of fluency, not being dropped in at the deep end with bugger all car control in heavy or rush hour traffic. And lord knows I've encountered that way too often over the years. Clearly newbies to the whole driving thing bunny hopping away from the lights, if they're lucky, stalling if they're not, while being harassed by other drivers and being near terrified by the experience. I most certainly don't blame the learners for that nonsense, I 100% blame the so called instructors involved. Oh and one of the few NCT fails I've had was because my horn wasn't working(missus!!) and I hadn't noticed, so I'm not exactly one to beep the horn as a general thing.

I agree there are some instructors who will take you out on the open road way too early particularly on the 12 lessons. I had a guy who was really trying to rush through the 12 lessons when I told I was under confident driving on busy road he started treating me as if I was an eejit. I had never driven before I started my lessons.

My parents would not bring me outside of estates and the like until I was confident. Look even after I built up confidence I still stalled the car. My belief is that you shouldn't be on main roads until after you're somewhat competent using the controls of the car such as clutch, gears, steering etc. Once you've learned this part which I would regard is the easy part of learning to drive then the aim is to get you driving in a safe and proper manner which is the difficult part.

But even once you're an experienced driver you may still cut out. I would say it's not about cutting out it is about how you react to it. A bad driver will panic and cut out again and again whereas a good driver will simply restart the engine in a safe and efficient manner.

This nonsense of people saying learner drivers shouldn't be on the road without a fully qualified instructor until they pass needs to stop. If they are complete beginners yes I would agree they should stick to estates and quiet places for practising but once they have more confidence they absolutely should be on the road once accompanied.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭BuboBubo

An arßehole imo.

What's wrong with giving them space, and letting them build confidence? We were all learners once, albeit 30 years ago in my case.

It's very frightening starting out, even more so nowadays with more traffic, more roundabouts etc.

Give them a chance and lay off them. Driving is a life skill which should be encouraged.

• Advertisement

It might just give them the idea to practice their hillstarts and general clutch control in a quiet area a bit more until they know what they are doing :D

See how you feel when your kid is called a moron for not grasping the rudiments of trigonometry or laughed at mercilessly for getting conjugation and pronunciation wrong when trying to learn a new language and comes home distraught rather than saying the that treatment spurred him on to do better.

Back 40 years ago it cost me over 2000 Deutschmarks and I did it with minimum mandatory lessons.

My first car cost about 2500 if I remember correctly.

You can see, the massive expense still hurts 40 years later.
    That's actually the real reason I beep at learner drivers ...cheapskate freeloaders, the lot of them :D:D:D

40 years and you're still an angry bollocks driving a Trabant instead of a BMW. I feel your pain :pac:

Some people didn’t learn on the road in a car.

A lot of people who grew up on farms would have been driving from a young age and were incredibly confident by the time they got out on the road.

Insanely when a 16 year old can drive a rig capable of nearly 60kmh and unlimited weight, they don’t need much training by the time they can drive a car

Bogger toddlers can operate a Massey-Ferguson or John Deere during baling of silage season before they can even recite the alpabet :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

GT89 wrote: »

Driving lessons. Deserted industrial estates. Wherever.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,205 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I went out 4/5 days a week with my dad when I was learning to drive. Getting out regularly and making all those good habits instict are the only way to learn. That's never gonna happen with lessons alone unless you're got money to burn.

I live close to a driving test centre so probably encounter more learners than most. I always think back to when I was an L driver and being grateful for others who were patient with me.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 9,276 ✭✭✭cgcsb

That's driving in this country, you'll have to get used to it, Irish drivers are among Europe's most agressive. Nowhere near as bad as Italy or parts of France but pretty bad for this latitude. I get beeped at for following the rules of the road (observing stop/yield signs, using the correct lane etc.). I find that I get beeped at more often when I'm on a bicycle than when I'm in my car, typically the justification is that the road is too narrow for the driver (typically a taxi driver(scum)) to overtake me. I've also had abuse shouted at me while cycling and I've a proud collection of 2 wing mirrors that I've confiscated from said abusive drivers. Most of them get real quiet when I catch up to them at the lights though when they realise that I'm not what they would describe as a 'posh lad on a bike'. It's WAAAAY worse for female cyclists, who are a target for scummers in skodas. Practice not letting beeping impact your blood pressure.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,276 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Aren't you allowed to drive a car with L-plates during certain hours, accompanied by a licensed driver and not on motorways if you hold a learner's permit in order to improve your skills?

I would think that the more a learner practises the more proficient they become.

I was far better driving on my own without my dad in my ear tbh. Some people are self directed learners, it's a pretty clumbsy rule to be fair.

what about after they stall on two consecutive sets of long-change lights and have built up a massive rack of happy drivers behind them.... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭TylerRyan28

Guarantee you will be the one beeping once you better at driving . Every leaver driver has been beeped at just have to get over it and say hello with your middle finger .

There is plenty of bad drivers out there that make you think how did they even get a license.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

cgcsb wrote: »
    That's driving in this country, you'll have to get used to it, Irish drivers are among Europe's most agressive. Nowhere near as bad as Italy or parts of France but pretty bad for this latitude. I get beeped at for following the rules of the road (observing stop/yield signs, using the correct lane etc.). I find that I get beeped at more often when I'm on a bicycle than when I'm in my car, typically the justification is that the road is too narrow for the driver (typically a taxi driver(scum)) to overtake me. I've also had abuse shouted at me while cycling and I've a proud collection of 2 wing mirrors that I've confiscated from said abusive drivers. Most of them get real quiet when I catch up to them at the lights though when they realise that I'm not what they would describe as a 'posh lad on a bike'. It's WAAAAY worse for female cyclists, who are a target for scummers in skodas. Practice not letting beeping impact your blood pressure.

You'll do that once to often.

Advertisement