Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

M7 - Naas/Newbridge Bypass Upgrade [Junction 9a now open]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭jmkennedyie

yannakis wrote: »
    According to the new signs, the bypass is R407, the part of R407 through Sallins is now L3014 (this change will be live in a few days).

Thank you. If that's what the signage says that's good enough for OpenStreetMap...might take some time for caches to update at all zoom levels.

Can anyone confirm from signage that Millennium Road section from new interchange to old Sallins/Naas Road roundabout becomes R407?

https://www.openstreetmap.org/?mlat=53.2372&mlon=-6.6738#map=15/53.2372/-6.6738

If you spot probs with the map pls add them as notes.

We'll add the new pedestrian / cycle links over time, and update the Sallins Link Road when it opens.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭NedNew2

By the way, the speed limit on the new road is 80 km/h which is probably fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭GPoint

Drove this new road today. New surface is so smooth! Wish all roads were like that. Access to Newbridge is so fast now. Long awaited!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

What route exactly does the new cycling route take?

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭riddlinrussell

spacetweek wrote: »
    What route exactly does the new cycling route take?

https://imgur.com/a/JzyalPC

Took a few pictures today, mostly of the cycling and walking routes, the footpath/cycleway on the link road are currently open, only the road itself isn't, the path linking the North bank of the canal to the bypass is open, barriers at the bottom are well spaced apart to allow various bicycle types, not perfect but I've seen far worse.

South bank walking/cycling provision is a bit all over the place and not fully finished, I have detailed it on the pictures.

The associated works on the ramps from the canal road to millennium link road appear to be substantially complete and these are now fully open. The kerbing onto the canal road is not dished, but I believe this is a planned amendment. Similar barrier setup to the north canal bank.

I also took pictures of the signage at the end of the road, R407 shown on the sign directing across the motorway junction, but still covered by paint directing people towards the Sallins road roundabout.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

I guess this thread is coming to it's conclusion....finally.

Many contributors have kept us informed especially those who took photos ( since first post almost exactly 9 years ago.

Without wanting to offend anyone I think it inappropriate to single out anyone in particular. So, may I take this opportunity to thank You one and all.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭regedit

Drove there on Friday after work and they've done a good job wit the road. The tarmac is way smoother than on the M7.

https://vimeo.com/535611594

• Registered Users Posts: 78,234 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Kevtherev1 wrote: »
    Millbank road
    Which road is this?

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Kevtherev1

Victor wrote: »
    Which road is this?

Road in Sallins, Lidl Store

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

Sallins traffic is flying now. Its actually too fast . Lots of school children going to school and pedestrian traffic from the train station..

I expect the residents will be pushing for ramps and a HGV ban soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,652 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Going from clane to Naas and now is probably quicker going through sallins now that everyone is using the bypass :pac::pac:

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 7,115 ✭✭✭pad199207

Were they a bit lazy with the signage? For such a major road all they give is directional/distance for two towns?
    Thought they would have at least Maynooth and Celbridge listed as it’s the main road from the county town.

1126-A516-40-F4-4-A72-A88-A-B1-C5-D70-F3213.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭riddlinrussell

Sallins traffic is flying now. Its actually too fast . Lots of school children going to school and pedestrian traffic from the train station..

I expect the residents will be pushing for ramps and a HGV ban soon.

I'm personally thinking tidal traffic control from the LIDL junction to the Station, would allow space for pedestrians and cyclists on the canal bridge and discourage people from driving through unless its their destination.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

pad199207 wrote: »
    Were they a bit lazy with the signage? For such a major road all they give is directional/distance for two towns?
    Thought they would have at least Maynooth and Celbridge listed as it’s the main road from the county town.

1126-A516-40-F4-4-A72-A88-A-B1-C5-D70-F3213.jpg

The road number is clearly stated on the sign - R407.

The R407 goes to Kilcock via Clane. The R407 does not go to Celbridge or Maynooth.

Darc19 wrote: »
    The road number is clearly stated on the sign - R407.

The R407 goes to Kilcock via Clane. The R407 does not go to Celbridge or Maynooth.

Usually they would have names of towns in brackets that are not directly on that route

Usually they would have names of towns in brackets that are not directly on that route

Rarely do I see that and usually it's major towns

Sure add Leixlip, Lucan, straffan, Enfield and whatever else too. Signs would be enormous.

Maynooth is not even on a road off the 407.

Darc19 wrote: »
    Rarely do I see that and usually it's major towns

Sure add Leixlip, Lucan, straffan, Enfield and whatever else too. Signs would be enormous.

Maynooth is not even on a road off the 407.

I think they have Celbridge and prosperous in brackets on the road into sallins from monread. No just a query.

I mean everywhere you drive in Maynooth you see signs for Naas. Even on the motorway exit for Maynooth it has Naas.

Must be because it’s the county town or something I dunno.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

On the Kerdiffstown road at Sallins primary school, there is now a sign for Clane. Pointing the wrong way.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭veryangryman

I think they have Celbridge and prosperous in brackets on the road into sallins from monread. No just a query.

I mean everywhere you drive in Maynooth you see signs for Naas. Even on the motorway exit for Maynooth it has Naas.

Must be because it’s the county town or something I dunno.

I think the logic is that because the Motorway has limited access on/off by design, they try to cover as much as possible regarding directions.

M4 Maynooth exit sign for Eastbound is silly. The Kilcock exit is the right one for any sane person coming from Galway, Athlone etc going to Naas. The Westbound i can understand. They likely did a copy/paste from the Eastbound for Westbound despite it defying common sense.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,341 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

I think the logic is that because the Motorway has limited access on/off by design, they try to cover as much as possible regarding directions.

M4 Maynooth exit sign for Eastbound is silly. The Kilcock exit is the right one for any sane person coming from Galway, Athlone etc going to Naas. The Westbound i can understand. They likely did a copy/paste from the Eastbound for Westbound despite it defying common sense.

Same as the M6 at the Loughrea exit which is signed Portumna both ways. Eastbound sure but westbound you’d be mad not to exit at Ballinasloe.

• Advertisement

On the Kerdiffstown road at Sallins primary school, there is now a sign for Clane. Pointing the wrong way.

That sign has been there for quite a while (at least 2 years). Its to signify that you turn left into Church avenue as there's no right turn if you continue to the bridge

• Registered Users Posts: 33,832 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

marno21 wrote: »
    Same as the M6 at the Loughrea exit which is signed Portumna both ways. Eastbound sure but westbound you’d be mad not to exit at Ballinasloe.

Gets you to go through the tolled section though...

Life ain't always empty.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,341 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Gets you to go through the tolled section though...
    You wouldn't because Portumna is also signed from exit 15 at Ballinasloe. It's 30km from J15 to Portumna vs 65km J15-J16-Portumna. No one in their right mind would take that route.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

There does appear to some effort to 'encourage' motorists onto tolled roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Quickest way to Balitore from naas is still the old way :)

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭TnxM17

marno21 wrote: »

I know its OT - but its been getting traction, the Junction 16 Westbound does not have Portumna on it.

I would post a pic but I don't have enough posts here - but if you check the street view it shows Kiltullagh Loughrea.

The bypass is now on Google Maps. The traffic feed will likely go live in the next couple of weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭BuzzFish

The bypass is now on Google Maps. The traffic feed will likely go live in the next couple of weeks.

Doesn't take them long to pick the updates up from Waze (a much better option than google maps). :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭traco

I am sure waze had it the friday evening it opned as i went hom evia the applegreen at the Volvo commecrcials and had waze on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭BuzzFish

traco wrote: »
    I am sure waze had it the friday evening it opned as i went hom evia the applegreen at the Volvo commecrcials and had waze on.

Waze had it from 11am Friday. The volunteer editing community are on the ball.

Advertisement