Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Wire-Is it any good?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭golfball37

Yeah, I especially like the Season 2 one with the Steve Earle (Waylon) song 'I Feel Alright'.

Hard to believe Waylon inflicted Galway Girl on the world

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

golfball37 wrote: »
    Hard to believe Waylon inflicted Galway Girl on the world

Don't blame Earle for Mundy's butchering of that song.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,467 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Acosta wrote: »
    Yeah? Season 1 was class, so that's good news.

Just note, the first few episodes of each new season can be quite jarring considering they introduce new characters, settings etc. But after a few episodes where you start seeing how everything is connecting, it's incredible.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Penn wrote: »
    Just note, the first few episodes of each new season can be quite jarring considering they introduce new characters, settings etc.
    I only watched it this year and went onto wiki and read the plot after each episode. I did this as a rule even if I thought there was no need, thinking I had caught everything, even then there was invariably something I did not twig that was going on.

Some of the wiki plots are overly detailed though, here is a long one but they nicely break it up into different sections.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alliances_(The_Wire)

I don't think there were any spoilers if you stuck to strictly reading the plots and did not read trivia or other stuff on the pages. There is a bit of a spoiler in that if a new character has their name highlighted, to show they have their own wiki page, then you know they are a fairly main character. That could be seen as a good subtle spoiler though, you know they are one to watch out for.

If you went looking for characters pages obviously there are spoilers, and even if you went to see actors wiki pages it would be spoiled if you spotted the years that they were in the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭steve_r

That's mad, literally just watched that episode last night

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Nice to hear the actor who plays Clay Davis use "sheeeeit" in the new Spike Lee film Da 5 Bloods.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭BrentMused

I initially watched The Wire about 15 years ago.

Thought it was amazing and whilst looking for a new show to watch a few months ago herself revealed she had never seen it so we had to rectify that!

There was an awful lot I couldn't remember and we've just finished it this afternoon.

All I can say is wow. It's still as good as I remember all those years ago.

Despite all of the deaths, tragedies etc, the one thing that always sticks with me (and is one of the few scenes I clearly remembered from my initial watch) is
    Dukie shooting up
    in the final scene. So, so sad :(

The whole series is just an unbelievable piece of art.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,874 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Couldn't get past season 1, just wasn't for me.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

BrentMused wrote: »
    I initially watched The Wire about 15 years ago.

Thought it was amazing and whilst looking for a new show to watch a few months ago herself revealed she had never seen it so we had to rectify that!

There was an awful lot I couldn't remember and we've just finished it this afternoon.

All I can say is wow. It's still as good as I remember all those years ago.

Despite all of the deaths, tragedies etc, the one thing that always sticks with me (and is one of the few scenes I clearly remembered from my initial watch) is
    Dukie shooting up
    in the final scene. So, so sad :(

The whole series is just an unbelievable piece of art.

Gets better with every watch. I won't admit how many times I have watched it and The Sopranos at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

I haven't read the whole thread, just the opening couple of pages, but I didn't see anyone comment on The Wire as social commentary. It's a show about how and why ****ed up systems stay ****ed up. Anyone who tries to do something different is brought to heel or crushed. I've never seen anything like it on that front.

• Advertisement

I absolutely love how you'll forget about a character and a few seasons later they'll pop up for a scene/cameo to keep reminding you have everything is interlinked.

For example,
    Nick Sabotka shouting at Carcetti when he's revealing the development down at the docks
    in season 4 or 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

^^^^^^^^^^

Thats excellent, not something I'd ever twigged at all and he's a character i liked from my favourite series.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,912 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Watched black klansmann the other day.
    Shieeeeeeeeeetttttttttttt

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

Seve OB wrote: »
    Watched black klansmann the other day.
    Shieeeeeeeeeetttttttttttt
    He's a regular supporting actor in The Good Cop, too. It's on Netflix. Cancelled after one season, but it was a fun show.

^^^^^^^^^^

Thats excellent, not something I'd ever twigged at all and he's a character i liked from my favourite series.

It happens a few other times too.

Another memorable one is
    Poot working at the Footlocker type shoe store when Dukie comes in looking for a job

And also in relation to the docks season -
    Johnny Fifty, one of the main docks crew, is shown as a homeless man living under the motorway in season 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭hold my beer

I've started watching it again for the first time in years. Brilliant show

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭punchdrunk

I too, feel inspired to back and watch it again- it’s been about twelve years since I watched it and not much has come close!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

The West Wing and The Wire are two shows I never saw so I started watching The Wire during lockdown. Loved the first three seasons. I got a few episodes into season four but for some reason it didn't keep my interest. I stopped and switched over to The West Wing instead.

I've been meaning to return to season four of The Wire. Maybe it will pick up for me and the season gets better.

The West Wing and The Wire are two shows I never saw so I started watching The Wire during lockdown. Loved the first three seasons. I got a few episodes into season four but for some reason it didn't keep my interest. I stopped and switched over to The West Wing instead.

I've been meaning to return to season four of The Wire. Maybe it will pick up for me and the season gets better.

Season 4 is considered by most to be the best. It probably can be harder to get into it though as the switch to much younger characters and losses of characters from Season 3 is tough at first. But it's well worth going back to.

Then Season 5.... you gotta wade through a bit of bullsh*t as it starts to go off the rails a little but by that point you nearly have the whole thing completed anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭nullObjects

mikhail wrote: »
    He's a regular supporting actor in The Good Cop, too. It's on Netflix. Cancelled after one season, but it was a fun show.

Started watching the X files, he pops up in an episode in season one.
    Was waiting for him to say it but he didn't :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

If it helps, I didn't really rate Season 5 the first time I watched it. Probably took a few watches before I appreciated it fully.

I find it often happens when binging on a boxset.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Started watching the X files, he pops up in an episode in season one.
    Was waiting for him to say it but he didn't :)

He is excellent. Started watching Your Honour - he's in that as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Penn wrote: »
    Season 4 is considered by most to be the best. It probably can be harder to get into it though as the switch to much younger characters and losses of characters from Season 3 is tough at first. But it's well worth going back to.

Then Season 5.... you gotta wade through a bit of bullsh*t as it starts to go off the rails a little but by that point you nearly have the whole thing completed anyway.

Season 2 is my favourite but just purely because i love all that stuff with unions and dockworkers and the greeks added another dimension to the usual drug gangs. When it came to S5 i think the plot lines do become quite elaborate and possibly ott. Personally the newspaper angle didnt grab me, wont give anything away for folk waiting to view it, but i just found those characters a bit cardboardy, as in poorly drawn. Overall, though, thats really just a fairly minor quibble.

Season 2 is my favourite but just purely because i love all that stuff with unions and dockworkers and the greeks added another dimension to the usual drug gangs. When it came to S5 i think the plot lines do become quite elaborate and possibly ott. Personally the newspaper angle didnt grab me, wont give anything away for folk waiting to view it, but i just found those characters a bit cardboardy, as in poorly drawn. Overall, though, thats really just a fairly minor quibble.

Season 2 became my favourite upon rewatching the series. Frank Sobotka is just one of the best TV characters ever. I think the change to the docks is very jarring at first for most people, whereas then in each subsequent season it's easier to accept the change in settings/characters.

Season 5 I have also enjoyed more on later rewatches, but I do think it's the weakest season.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

me too , its truly superb , so many characters who often drift in and out and yet you feel invested in all of them , no wasted characters at all

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

season two is my favourite as well , Frank Sobotka is my favourite character in the entire show .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

Just finished rewatching it last month and once again blown away by the first four seasons and let down by the fifth.
    Hard to believe how much of it I had forgotten considering that's about the fourth full watch of it even though it was about six years since the last time.
    Due to season five though it's just beaten into second place by The Sopranos.
    Great point about Dukie in the ending though- so sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭StevenToast

The Wire is the greatest show of all time.

Close thread.

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Aravo

The Wire is the greatest show of all time.

Close thread.

+1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭golfball37

I’ve rewatched Sopranos and the Wire during lockdown. Forgotten how good they both were, season five is the weakest in the wire but on the rewatch I was surprised how far the sopranos declined in final season too from the excellence that preceded.
    The Wire is simply the greatest, I’d still have Sopranos in second despite the last ten episodes.

Advertisement