Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Wire-Is it any good?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭Chuck Noland

Season 2
    Episode 10

Johnny Cash - Walk the Line as the background to them planting the trackers... Jesus this just keeps getting better then how I remembered it from the first time

Fantastic TV

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

On episode four of Homicide Life on the Street. Well worth a look if your into The Wire as its obviously based on the book by David Simon. Some great performances from the cast so far and Gus from season five of the wire is a regular. Quality wise you can tell its from the 90s so that might be off putting for some but I'm really enjoying it so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

godtabh wrote: »
    says the man who forgot his full stop.

For the record I was referring to the video, not your post. It wasn't intended to be a dig.

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭FrankN1

Brilliant show.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

Yeah have to him through a lot of hoops
    VPN to US
    set up google account based in US
    Tied my PayPal to google play store downloaded the hbo max app onto phone and subscribed with monthly fee coming from US Google play account.
    Have HBO on my Nvidia shield android tv box and have to have vpn running on it for the app to work.
    A bit of work but worth it for HBO back catalog of shows and first run movies works out around €13.34 a month which isn't bad

Hardy man. I’d be afraid I’d slip up somehow and have a swat team at my door.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

I still wonder if Hilti paid for this product placement - hell of an endorsement.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,028 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Very good show.

It was a long time ago I watched it but I do remember one series not being as good as the others.
    Series 3 I think?

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭athlone573

NIMAN wrote: »
    Very good show.

It was a long time ago I watched it but I do remember one series not being as good as the others.
    Series 3 I think?

Everyone has their favourite. I thought it got a bit preachy at the end.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

civdef wrote: »
    For the record I was referring to the video, not your post. It wasn't intended to be a dig.

Sorry for the confusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,028 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I am rewatching The Sopranos again at present, as good as it was first time round.

Maybe I'll do a re-watch of The Wire when I'm done.

• Advertisement

I am rewatching The Sopranos again at present, as good as it was first time round.

Done The Sopranos for the third time at Xmas
    Doing The Wire for the second time now. Both are probably better the more you watch them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

Fun Fact: Lance Reddick originally auditioned for the part of Bubbles.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭waynescales1

The Sopranos and Breaking Bad are two superb, riveting TV shows, the best ever made.

The Wire is better than both of them combined.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭hold my beer

I'll probably watch The Sopranos again when I finish The Wire

• Registered Users Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

The weird thing about The Wire and The Sopranos for me is that they didn’t lead to
    a profusion of equally good or better shows despite the arrival of streaming technology. Since the end of Mad Men in 2015, I’ve enjoyed very little of the new stuff as much. Don’t know if that’s just me or what.

The Sopranos and Breaking Bad are two superb, riveting TV shows, the best ever made.

The Wire is better than both of them combined.

Top 3 for me is
    The Sopranos
    The Wire
    Breaking Bad

It’s close between 1&2 but BB trails behind them by a bit

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Ardillaun wrote: »
    The weird thing about The Wire and The Sopranos for me is that they didn’t lead to
    a profusion of equally good or better shows despite the arrival of streaming technology. Since the end of Mad Men in 2015, I’ve enjoyed very little of the new stuff as much. Don’t know if that’s just me or what.

Better Call Saul is very good. Probably the best since 2015

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

You can rewatch the Sopranos endlessly

Youtube clips suffice for The Wire. all its best moments are bite sized.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

wadacrack wrote: »
    Better Call Saul is very good. Probably the best since 2015

BCS is better than Breaking Bad and I'll fight any man who sez otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

Bambi wrote:

The best moments are in the minutiae.

• Advertisement

Bambi wrote: »
    BCS is better than Breaking Bad and I'll fight any man who sez otherwise.

I gave up on it in season 3, found it too slow and very drawn out. I'll wait for it to finish and binge

:pac: I've heard it all now. Thanks for that, gave me a good laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭golfball37

I gave up on it in season 3, found it too slow and very drawn out. I'll wait for it to finish and binge

I felt that way too but I stayed with it and it’s fantastic. Without giving anything away once Jimmy’s brother departs the scene the show becomes what all BB fans hoped. It was a tough watch the first couple of years alright but now it’s unmissable

golfball37 wrote: »
    I felt that way too but I stayed with it and it’s fantastic. Without giving anything away once Jimmy’s brother departs the scene the show becomes what all BB fans hoped. It was a tough watch the first couple of years alright but now it’s unmissable

I watched the first 2 or 3 seasons and loved it but the OH didn't. She felt it was too slow, but I thought it was no different than BB was. I really should go back and watch the other seasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

I watched the first 2 or 3 seasons and loved it but the OH didn't. She felt it was too slow, but I thought it was no different than BB was. I really should go back and watch the other seasons.

I think the attention span now of people is leading to drop in quality of TV Shows etc. Teens and people under 21 more likely to find something like the Wire too slow/boring. Alot of the better show start of very slow. Mad Men, BCS etc

• Registered Users Posts: 33,239 ✭✭✭✭Penn

You can rewatch the Sopranos endlessly

There's so much you pick up on with rewatches of The Wire, so many little details or references. Especially with how each season throws you into the middle of a new aspect of the city and it takes a few episodes to get your bearing. A rewatch means you pick up on a lot more things right from the start.

It's definitely easy to watch clips of some of the best scenes, but that never compares to rewatching it from scratch.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭golfball37

Penn wrote: »
    There's so much you pick up on with rewatches of The Wire, so many little details or references. Especially with how each season throws you into the middle of a new aspect of the city and it takes a few episodes to get your bearing. A rewatch means you pick up on a lot more things right from the start.

It's definitely easy to watch clips of some of the best scenes, but that never compares to rewatching it from scratch.

All the pieces matter

• Registered Users Posts: 3,907 ✭✭✭trashcan

Ardillaun wrote: »

I’d agree in general. Narcos for me is the best thing that’s been done recently, it’s up there with the best. Recently I’ve enjoyed the three Deutschland series, and Sneaky Pete.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭athlone573

If we're talking about pure entertainment value then for me Succession and maybe Ozark would be up there with the best. The Wire and The Sopranos though have the rare quality of matching a believable and intricate setting with engrossing storylines.Mad Men and Boardwalk Empire had the settings but the stories were a bit flat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,907 ✭✭✭trashcan

athlone573 wrote: »
    If we're talking about pure entertainment value then for me Succession and maybe Ozark would be up there with the best. The Wire and The Sopranos though have the rare quality of matching a believable and intricate setting with engrossing storylines.Mad Men and Boardwalk Empire had the settings but the stories were a bit flat.

I watched about three or four episodes of Ozark and left it at that. I couldn’t get past the feeling that I was watching a show where some executive had looked at Breaking Bad and it’s success and said “bring me a show like that”. Just a poor mans BB for me.

Advertisement