Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Walk-in test centres thread

• 10-04-2021 10:56am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭

https://www.rte.ie/news/2021/0409/1208765-ireland-covid-testing/

Could we possibly do a thread or a sticky on these walk-in test centres and maybe a google map also. It would be handy to know where your nearest test centre is and how to avail of it, some of these test centres are only temporary also, so times and dates of the pop-up centers would be useful also.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,901 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Thinking of popping to my own

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,198 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

OP, are you not off in Brazil getting haircuts and having pints until the pandemic is over?

Or was that last week?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,330 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Thinking of popping to my own

Why would you want a test which doesn't confirm you have a current infection and a positive result may effect your future.
    Seems a bit crazy if your healthy. We even have two new strains that don't show up on the test so even a negative isn't 100%.

Why would you want a test which doesn't confirm you have a current infection and a positive result may effect your future.
    Seems a bit crazy if your healthy. We even have two new strains that don't show up on the test so even a negative isn't 100%.

shur why not, might give me some peace of mind

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,330 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

shur why not, might give me some peace of mind

What peace of mind does it give, you could pick it up there or even meningitis if they push the swab in too far.

What peace of mind does it give, you could pick it up there or even meningitis if they push the swab in too far.

i could also pick up death, but sometimes you gotta take your chances

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,641 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

It would be really, really handy if they actually had walk-in vaccination centres too.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭JDxtra

I am disappointed to see people attend these test centres. This is how gullible people have become due to the constant fear factor driven by NPHET/Government and loved by RTE and most news outlets.

Walk-in test centres ONLY serve to drive the case numbers higher. If you test a random selection of people, you will get some who test as positive. These people have no symptoms, otherwise they should be calling their GPs. Higher case numbers = longer restrictions for everyone.

Please don't go to a walk-in test centre!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭JDxtra

i could also pick up death, but sometimes you gotta take your chances

Take your chances and don't go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

JDxtra wrote: »
    I am disappointed to see people attend these test centres. This is how gullible people have become due to the constant fear factor driven by NPHET/Government and loved by RTE and most news outlets.

Walk-in test centres ONLY serve to drive the case numbers higher. If you test a random selection of people, you will get some who test as positive. These people have no symptoms, otherwise they should be calling their GPs. Higher case numbers = longer restrictions for everyone.

Sweet Jesus.

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭jamesbondings

I see it as an extra line of defence. Like to allow visitation to the elderly or something. Have a negative test the day before, visit is OK. Of course its not fool proof!

Take your chances and don't go.

why not?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 161 ✭✭Jane1012

I see it as an extra line of defence. Like to allow visitation to the elderly or something. Have a negative test the day before, visit is OK. Of course its not fool proof!

Logic would dictate that it would actually drive numbers down in the longer run as these asymptomatic people would then be isolating and not infecting others

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 161 ✭✭Jane1012

Apologies Jamesbondings, quoted the wrong post. Meant to quote the one you quoted

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭shivermetimber

The missus went to a local one yesterday as she was in contact with a positive but didn't have any symptoms in the week since. Standing in line chatting away to a nice aul lad at a distance for a good 20 mins and then he says he's there because he's lost his sense of smell :mad: I'm sure plenty with symptoms are just rocking up to them either because they haven't a clue that you shouldn't use them if you have symptoms or just saying nothing as it's quicker/more convenient than the normal system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭Knine

The missus went to a local one yesterday as she was in contact with a positive but didn't have any symptoms in the week since. Standing in line chatting away to a nice aul lad at a distance for a good 20 mins and then he says he's there because he's lost his sense of smell :mad: I'm sure plenty with symptoms are just rocking up to them either because they haven't a clue or just saying nothing as it's quicker/easier than the normal system.

The symptoms thing is guidelines. When I went to the official test centre, they told me I should have brought my daughter also to the Walk in clinic to get a result back quicker as it implicated a classroom as close contacts if positive

We even have two new strains that don't show up on the test so even a negative isn't 100%.

What strains are those?

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭noplacehere

Dead handy when in your area. Relative got tested before attending the funeral of a close relative just in case as his area is a hotspot

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭shivermetimber

Knine wrote: »
    The symptoms thing is guidelines. When I went to the official test centre, they told me I should have brought my daughter also to the Walk in clinic to get a result back quicker as it implicated a classroom as close contacts if positive

Well it states no symptoms on hse website. Also according to her the aul lad got given out to by the testers when it was his turn and he admitted it, got told he shouldn't be there as it was for asymptomatic only and should have gone through the proper system if he had any symptoms.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 332 ✭✭mosii

Hi will results from a walk in test centre do for a flight to America? tks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭rogber

For anyone who's been to one of these test centres, is it PCR or antigen test they do and what format do you get the results in? Just a phone call or a text or what?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,717 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

PCR.

SMS message the next day, I was told.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭rogber

Geuze wrote: »
    PCR.

SMS message the next day, I was told.

Thanks for the info. So basically one of these walk in centres would be fine if you need to do the 5-day quarantine test instead of forking out 100 euros for the privliege at Dublin airport

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Knine wrote: »

It's not 'guidelines'. People with symptoms are told stay away, these are the donuts that could go out infecting people while at the same time finger wagging at negatively tested people in MHQ.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 192 ✭✭EireLemon

Has anyone been asked for their address at these centres?

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭noplacehere

EireLemon wrote: »
    Has anyone been asked for their address at these centres?

I did wonder this. There’s one near me but I live outside 5km so presumably can’t go

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Normal One

I did wonder this. There’s one near me but I live outside 5km so presumably can’t go

I wasn't asked for my address, just ID and phone number (I used my driving licence so they could have had my address of they wanted but it isn't necessary).

Also, you can travel 20km now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

I was tested in a walk-in centre this past week at the end of my two week quarantine after returning from abroad. Very simple process but the admin guy was being a jobsworth over my dashcam and I had to disconnect it from the power supply to satisfy his requirements. I got my result in 30 hours and was negative, my fifth test in 10 weeks all negative.

My second time to be tested by the HSE.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

mosii wrote: »
    Hi will results from a walk in test centre do for a flight to America? tks

A printed certificate of the test result is needed for boarding a flight, an SMS message is not sufficient

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭njburke

I assume the data from these walkin test centres is used to establish the level of infection in asymptomatic cases, or the bulk of the population. The other test centres have the prerequisite of some symptomatic indicator, cough, loss of smell etc.
    Therefor the walkin positivity rate is better guide for the population as a whole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

njburke wrote: »
    I assume the data from these walkin test centres is used to establish the level of infection in asymptomatic cases, or the bulk of the population. The other test centres have the prerequisite of some symptomatic indicator, cough, loss of smell etc.
    Therefor the walkin positivity rate is better guide for the population as a whole.
    Within that locality maybe. They have been set up in areas of higher incidence. What they are doing is reducing chains of transmission by picking up other cases. It is a tool we should have had at an earlier date but now we know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭quenching

I see the HSE website says you can avail of a free test only once in a walk-in test center but is this actually the case? I know of someone who has regular tests as part of their employment while on the premises but if they aren’t working the day of the on-site testing they are advised to go to a walk-in test center. Is this correct and how do the centers manage how many times you’ve visited?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,497 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Threads merged

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Rdwrer

How long do you have to wait at these walk-in centres for a test?

Edit: No queue at all, despite not being able to book a test online within the next 3 hours. Test literally took 2 minutes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 803 ✭✭✭machaseh

Went and got tested at the GAA Handball club in Croke Park last week. Short queue and the staff were very nice. Luckily it was negative !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭323

Rdwrer wrote: »
    How long do you have to wait at these walk-in centres for a test?

Edit: No queue at all, despite not being able to book a test online within the next 3 hours. Test literally took 2 minutes.

Tested last Monday at a private outfit, the North West, does evenings only.
    Called about an hour before and. Told, welcome to walk-in, without a booking but cash only, for card book online. Paid online and got in the car.

Test at 08:00 PM, took half a minute, no waiting, email that sample in the lab at 11:00PM, results before 06:00 AM the next morning as promised.

“Follow the trend lines, not the headlines,”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 274 ✭✭Argo foc yourself

Got an appointment for second dose but day doesn't suit.

Can I just walk in to one of the test centres and get the second does after the date they gave me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,127 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

The walk in test centres and vaccination centres aren't necessarily in the same spot.

I think this is what you're looking for for the walk in vaccine centres and times, Pfizer only afaik.

https://www2.hse.ie/screening-and-vaccinations/covid-19-vaccine/get-the-vaccine/find-a-covid-19-vaccination-centre/

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 274 ✭✭Argo foc yourself

sorry yes - that is what I mean!

Once I have gone over the 3 week wait period for second dose can I just walk in to local vaccine centre ?

• Advertisement
Advertisement