Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Walk-in test centres thread

• 10-04-2021 9:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭

https://www.rte.ie/news/2021/0409/1208765-ireland-covid-testing/

Could we possibly do a thread or a sticky on these walk-in test centres and maybe a google map also. It would be handy to know where your nearest test centre is and how to avail of it, some of these test centres are only temporary also, so times and dates of the pop-up centers would be useful also.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

• Registered Users Posts: 28,703 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Thinking of popping to my own

• Registered Users Posts: 18,838 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

OP, are you not off in Brazil getting haircuts and having pints until the pandemic is over?

Or was that last week?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,038 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Thinking of popping to my own

Why would you want a test which doesn't confirm you have a current infection and a positive result may effect your future.
    Seems a bit crazy if your healthy. We even have two new strains that don't show up on the test so even a negative isn't 100%.

Why would you want a test which doesn't confirm you have a current infection and a positive result may effect your future.
    Seems a bit crazy if your healthy. We even have two new strains that don't show up on the test so even a negative isn't 100%.

shur why not, might give me some peace of mind

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,038 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

shur why not, might give me some peace of mind

What peace of mind does it give, you could pick it up there or even meningitis if they push the swab in too far.

What peace of mind does it give, you could pick it up there or even meningitis if they push the swab in too far.

i could also pick up death, but sometimes you gotta take your chances

• Registered Users Posts: 12,265 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

It would be really, really handy if they actually had walk-in vaccination centres too.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭JDxtra

I am disappointed to see people attend these test centres. This is how gullible people have become due to the constant fear factor driven by NPHET/Government and loved by RTE and most news outlets.

Walk-in test centres ONLY serve to drive the case numbers higher. If you test a random selection of people, you will get some who test as positive. These people have no symptoms, otherwise they should be calling their GPs. Higher case numbers = longer restrictions for everyone.

Please don't go to a walk-in test centre!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭JDxtra

i could also pick up death, but sometimes you gotta take your chances

Take your chances and don't go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,488 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

JDxtra wrote: »
    I am disappointed to see people attend these test centres. This is how gullible people have become due to the constant fear factor driven by NPHET/Government and loved by RTE and most news outlets.

Walk-in test centres ONLY serve to drive the case numbers higher. If you test a random selection of people, you will get some who test as positive. These people have no symptoms, otherwise they should be calling their GPs. Higher case numbers = longer restrictions for everyone.

Sweet Jesus.

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭jamesbondings

I see it as an extra line of defence. Like to allow visitation to the elderly or something. Have a negative test the day before, visit is OK. Of course its not fool proof!

Take your chances and don't go.

why not?

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Jane1012

I see it as an extra line of defence. Like to allow visitation to the elderly or something. Have a negative test the day before, visit is OK. Of course its not fool proof!

Logic would dictate that it would actually drive numbers down in the longer run as these asymptomatic people would then be isolating and not infecting others

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Jane1012

Apologies Jamesbondings, quoted the wrong post. Meant to quote the one you quoted

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭shivermetimber

The missus went to a local one yesterday as she was in contact with a positive but didn't have any symptoms in the week since. Standing in line chatting away to a nice aul lad at a distance for a good 20 mins and then he says he's there because he's lost his sense of smell :mad: I'm sure plenty with symptoms are just rocking up to them either because they haven't a clue that you shouldn't use them if you have symptoms or just saying nothing as it's quicker/more convenient than the normal system.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

The missus went to a local one yesterday as she was in contact with a positive but didn't have any symptoms in the week since. Standing in line chatting away to a nice aul lad at a distance for a good 20 mins and then he says he's there because he's lost his sense of smell :mad: I'm sure plenty with symptoms are just rocking up to them either because they haven't a clue or just saying nothing as it's quicker/easier than the normal system.

The symptoms thing is guidelines. When I went to the official test centre, they told me I should have brought my daughter also to the Walk in clinic to get a result back quicker as it implicated a classroom as close contacts if positive

We even have two new strains that don't show up on the test so even a negative isn't 100%.

What strains are those?

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭noplacehere

Dead handy when in your area. Relative got tested before attending the funeral of a close relative just in case as his area is a hotspot

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭shivermetimber

Knine wrote: »
    The symptoms thing is guidelines. When I went to the official test centre, they told me I should have brought my daughter also to the Walk in clinic to get a result back quicker as it implicated a classroom as close contacts if positive

Well it states no symptoms on hse website. Also according to her the aul lad got given out to by the testers when it was his turn and he admitted it, got told he shouldn't be there as it was for asymptomatic only and should have gone through the proper system if he had any symptoms.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭mosii

Hi will results from a walk in test centre do for a flight to America? tks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭rogber

For anyone who's been to one of these test centres, is it PCR or antigen test they do and what format do you get the results in? Just a phone call or a text or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,992 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

PCR.

SMS message the next day, I was told.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭rogber

Geuze wrote: »
    PCR.

SMS message the next day, I was told.

Thanks for the info. So basically one of these walk in centres would be fine if you need to do the 5-day quarantine test instead of forking out 100 euros for the privliege at Dublin airport

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Knine wrote: »

It's not 'guidelines'. People with symptoms are told stay away, these are the donuts that could go out infecting people while at the same time finger wagging at negatively tested people in MHQ.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭EireLemon

Has anyone been asked for their address at these centres?

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭noplacehere

EireLemon wrote: »
    Has anyone been asked for their address at these centres?

I did wonder this. There’s one near me but I live outside 5km so presumably can’t go

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Normal One

I did wonder this. There’s one near me but I live outside 5km so presumably can’t go

I wasn't asked for my address, just ID and phone number (I used my driving licence so they could have had my address of they wanted but it isn't necessary).

Also, you can travel 20km now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

I was tested in a walk-in centre this past week at the end of my two week quarantine after returning from abroad. Very simple process but the admin guy was being a jobsworth over my dashcam and I had to disconnect it from the power supply to satisfy his requirements. I got my result in 30 hours and was negative, my fifth test in 10 weeks all negative.

My second time to be tested by the HSE.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,828 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

mosii wrote: »
    Hi will results from a walk in test centre do for a flight to America? tks

A printed certificate of the test result is needed for boarding a flight, an SMS message is not sufficient

Advertisement