Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Broadband Speed & Ping Test Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭wpisdu

Vodafone Gigabit 1000 Fibre Broadband via OpenEir fibre :D

uMbB93y.png

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭surfin_shoes

ED E wrote: »
    Uninstall SmartByte.

Thanks but I don't see it listed under Apps & Features, any other ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭WLad

Just moved providers from sky to pure and I'm still only getting 8-30 at this time of the evening. Really struggling to u derstand how FTTH could be this bad. I'd accept congestion but I'm seeing massive jitter in the evenings as well so gaming etc is really not possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

WLad wrote: »
    Just moved providers from sky to pure and I'm still only getting 8-30 at this time of the evening. Really struggling to u derstand how FTTH could be this bad. I'd accept congestion but I'm seeing massive jitter in the evenings as well so gaming etc is really not possible.

That's probably because your problem isn't the FTTH, but something else.

This is not the thread for it either. But you need to plug a computer in with a network cable .. don't use the wifi .. then run the test. That's your only real test. And if that's much much faster then your regular speedtest, then you know, that you've got to look at your own network setup.

What you describe sounds like a test from wifi with a bad wifi connection. Nothing to do with your broadband provider nor with FTTH.

/M

Marlow wrote: »
    That's probably because your problem isn't the FTTH, but something else.

This is not the thread for it either. But you need to plug a computer in with a network cable .. don't use the wifi .. then run the test. That's your only real test. And if that's much much faster then your regular speedtest, then you know, that you've got to look at your own network setup.

What you describe sounds like a test from wifi with a bad wifi connection. Nothing to do with your broadband provider nor with FTTH.

/M

Sorry about posting in the wrong thread. Any idea what else it could be though?

That speed is wired. I've turned the WiFi off on the fritzbox, disconnected everything else out of the back and ran the tests from the wired in laptop. It's 460 all day until about 5 or 6 pm when it starts dropping. By 8 pm its under 30.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

That speed is wired. I've turned the WiFi off on the fritzbox, disconnected everything else out of the back and ran the tests from the wired in laptop. It's 460 all day until about 5 or 6 pm when it starts dropping. By 8 pm its under 30.

If it's a wired laptop and you see 460 during the day, then that's shocking.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Marlow wrote: »
    If it's a wired laptop and you see 460 during the day, then that's shocking.

/M

Maybe he's on the 500 package. The more I read here the more I'm inclined to stay with VM.

CoBo55 wrote: »
    Maybe he's on the 500 package. The more I read here the more I'm inclined to stay with VM.

Yeah I'm on the 500Mbps package. I just did another test again with everything else disconnected and got 2Mbps.

Im beginning to think it's this lockdown is putting huge strain on the exchanges or something and it's causing problems that they just haven't noticed yet, or worse they have but are just going with it because most people don't notice or don't care. That's actually fair enough as I'd just be happy with 150 all day but 2 is crippling so I've obviously gotten the short end of the stick somewhere.

I'm so fed up at this point, sick of every evening nothing working.

Yeah I'm on the 500Mbps package. I just did another test again with everything else disconnected and got 2Mbps.

Im beginning to think it's this lockdown is putting huge strain on the exchanges or something and it's causing problems that they just haven't noticed yet, or worse they have but are just going with it because most people don't notice or don't care. That's actually fair enough as I'd just be happy with 150 all day but 2 is crippling so I've obviously gotten the short end of the stick somewhere.

I'm so fed up at this point, sick of every evening nothing working.

That's very frustrating I feel your pain I had that craic years ago with sky BB it would drive you stone crazy, no connection at all would be better than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,830 ✭✭✭jeffk

jeffk wrote: »
    Did anybody notice virgin media jumped up to 600 midweek

Now back to 250 or so, seems to be there a lot now

Upload still 50 so am still in the UP TO 500 package

User error :(

Betweeen the speaker(humming noise and need to wiggly it at times to stop) and lan connection(i think i need to put a new head on cable and its messy) causing issues as the cable wasnt in properly (could add in lazniess)

11037988479.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭dam099

Didnt you say on another thread you just moved in last few days and speedtest still shows Sky? If may be that if Pure havent properly taken over your line yet thats still a Sky issue.

dam099 wrote: »
    Didnt you say on another thread you just moved in last few days and speedtest still shows Sky? If may be that if Pure havent properly taken over your line yet thats still a Sky issue.

Yeah they did the following morning. It shows BT Ireland now. I'm going to give it the weekend of collecting speedtests and I'll talk to them on Monday.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

CoBo55 wrote: »

FTTH is generally rock solid and stable for most people once you choose either Eir, Airwire or Digiweb. Most complaints due to poor speeds with FTTH are usually Sky customers and sometimes Pure and Vodaphone. Sky especially can give very wonky speeds on both FTTC and FTTH, a few friends of mine had them and moved back to another provider and their connection speeds became better and more stable throughout the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭daraghwal

Yeah they did the following morning. It shows BT Ireland now. I'm going to give it the weekend of collecting speedtests and I'll talk to them on Monday.

That's strange. Anyone I know that has Pure has eir as the ISP but I know they have a deal with BT. I don't know if that has anything to do with it but you could ask them. I wonder do they use BT/eir/different backhaul depending on where you are in Ireland?

daraghwal wrote: »
    That's strange. Anyone I know that has Pure has eir as the ISP but I know they have a deal with BT. I don't know if that has anything to do with it but you could ask them. I wonder do they use BT/eir/different backhaul depending on where you are in Ireland?

Yeah I was expecting eir. Good to know though, and I'll certainly say it to them. Thanks for that info.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭flexcon

for the past few years I have found 3 steps you should take and it often removes "random: issues

Disable ipv6
    (if on Virgin remove Dual stack ipv6 for Full ipv4)
    Change DNS to 1.1.1.1 Cloudflare
    reset router on a Sunday night

Rarely get any issues

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Anyone else having problems with Virgin media BB for the last week or?

Goes down intermittently at the busiest of times.
    Used to have a rock solid 250mb connection but its been **** now for over a week. Tech support is the usual - plug it out and back in. Arrange an engineer visit etc.

I can ping websites and run traces to sites but when it goes down theres some device at aurora.net that refuses connections and times out. If it was my end I wouldn't be getting either an Ip address or be able to ping or trace to sites.

WFH is impossible with it this week.

Im back to having speed issues, 50 upload so on right package, but lucky to hit 250 when paying for (up to) 500 (even changed to premade cable to be sure to be sure)

Id say be wheeled out the working from home etc excuses

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Their dns servers are all over the place. But at least you have a connection... Im literally getting no connection.

Timing out every few minutes with dns errors.

Anyone know if I change the dns servers in the old epc3925 modem will it bypass virgin!???

Thats true, slow is better than none

Go with Next DNS, block ads as well

https://nextdns.io/

https://setuprouter.com/router/cisco/epc3925/dns.htm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Brian017

I’m getting slow speeds on my Digiweb Siro 1gb connection. It’s especially painfully slow on my PC which is connected by TP Link plugs and gets to around 10mb. On my iPad it gets to 200mb and on my ATV and PS which are both connected directly to the FritzBox get around 250mb. Is there any setting on the FritzBox that I am missing?

Brian017 wrote: »
    I’m getting slow speeds on my Digiweb Siro 1gb connection. It’s especially painfully slow on my PC which is connected by TP Link plugs and gets to around 10mb. On my iPad it gets to 200mb and on my ATV and PS which are both connected directly to the FritzBox get around 250mb. Is there any setting on the FritzBox that I am missing?

The PC sounds like its the TP Link plug that may be your limiting factor, any way to wire it directly to the Fritzbox even temporarily to check?

When you say the ATV is connected directly to the Fritzbox do you mean by Ethernet cable (Cat5e or better)? If so which model of ATV? I can get about 930Mb quite often with an ATV 4K wired directly (Vodafone SIRO) so 250Mb sounds low if you are also wired.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 RoryH

wpisdu wrote: »
    Vodafone Gigabit 1000 Fibre Broadband via OpenEir fibre :D

uMbB93y.png

How are you finding them? OpenEir FTTH is recently available in my area and considering getting it installed, currently on Virgin Media and they are reliable, bit would like to add some competition to the mix for contract renewal time each year and get FTTH installed. Vodafone are currently way cheaper than the others it seems.

The PC sounds like its the TP Link plug that may be your limiting factor, any way to wire it directly to the Fritzbox even temporarily to check?

When you say the ATV is connected directly to the Fritzbox do you mean by Ethernet cable (Cat5e or better)? If so which model of ATV? I can get about 930Mb quite often with an ATV 4K wired directly (Vodafone SIRO) so 250Mb sounds low if you are also wired.

It’ll be a lot of work to connect the PC directly been temporarily, which is why the plugs were recommended to me. When I switch from Ethernet to WiFi on the PC it goes from 10mb to the lofty heights of 60!!

The ATV is the 4K model like yours and is connected to the FritzBox with a Cat 5e patch cable (that’s what is printed on the cable). As is my PlayStation

Brian017 wrote: »
    It’ll be a lot of work to connect the PC directly been temporarily, which is why the plugs were recommended to me. When I switch from Ethernet to WiFi on the PC it goes from 10mb to the lofty heights of 60!!

The ATV is the 4K model like yours and is connected to the FritzBox with a Cat 5e patch cable (that’s what is printed on the cable). As is my PlayStation

What App are you using to test on the Apple TV? I use Speedtest one from Ookla to various servers (Blacknight usually a good one to use).

What App are you using to test on the Apple TV? I use Speedtest one from Ookla to various servers (Blacknight usually a good one to use).

Yeah I’m using that app too. I switched to the Blacknight server and it went up to 470. Can’t seem to get anywhere near that on my pc however

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭wpisdu

RoryH wrote: »
    How are you finding them? OpenEir FTTH is recently available in my area and considering getting it installed, currently on Virgin Media and they are reliable, bit would like to add some competition to the mix for contract renewal time each year and get FTTH installed. Vodafone are currently way cheaper than the others it seems.

I've been using them for almost 3 months now and so far 0 problems and 0 downtime. I used to have some issues with download speed going down to 600MB/s but it's back to 933MB/s+ for a good while now. I see huge improvement in online gaming and I pay half the Virgin Media bill, very happy with it.

Just did a test now - 934/98

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Bigjez79

Hi all.

North County Dublin Virgin media Gigabit customer.

Has anyone noticed a jump in latency ping recently. I have a BQM setup on think broadband and it went up 8-10 m/s on the 25th march. This morning 6 am I see it jumped again so just trying to understand why this would be as Docsis 3.1 is supposed to be a low latency solution. Engineer was out and from house to 8 way Tap in manhole everything looks OK.

Speed isn't an issue. I can get 700 mbps down on my Samsung S10 950mbps on ethernet but I do a bit of gaming where ping is king.

50 mbps upload or thereabouts also. Also when you ping the vrigin server on speedtest app I get 20 but if I switch to Eir I can get 11. Is this just a virgin issue in the area?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

It changes like that regularly enough. I've a few installs in one area and they all jump from 18->30 and then recover a day or two later.

• Advertisement

Bigjez79 wrote: »
    Hi all.

North County Dublin Virgin media Gigabit customer.

Has anyone noticed a jump in latency ping recently. I have a BQM setup on think broadband and it went up 8-10 m/s on the 25th march. This morning 6 am I see it jumped again so just trying to understand why this would be as Docsis 3.1 is supposed to be a low latency solution. Engineer was out and from house to 8 way Tap in manhole everything looks OK.

Speed isn't an issue. I can get 700 mbps down on my Samsung S10 950mbps on ethernet but I do a bit of gaming where ping is king.

50 mbps upload or thereabouts also. Also when you ping the vrigin server on speedtest app I get 20 but if I switch to Eir I can get 11. Is this just a virgin issue in the area?

Mine is 17m/s has always been around that figure, I don’t game so it doesn’t really matter but it’s certainly a lot higher than my old fttc line, it was always in single figures.

Advertisement