Advertisement
Boards Golf Society are looking for new members for 2022...read about the society and their planned outings here!
How to add spoiler tags, edit posts, add images etc. How to - a user's guide to the new version of Boards

Broadband Speed & Ping Test Megathread

Comments

• It changes like that regularly enough. I've a few installs in one area and they all jump from 18->30 and then recover a day or two later.

• Bigjez79 wrote: »
    Hi all.

North County Dublin Virgin media Gigabit customer.

Has anyone noticed a jump in latency ping recently. I have a BQM setup on think broadband and it went up 8-10 m/s on the 25th march. This morning 6 am I see it jumped again so just trying to understand why this would be as Docsis 3.1 is supposed to be a low latency solution. Engineer was out and from house to 8 way Tap in manhole everything looks OK.

Speed isn't an issue. I can get 700 mbps down on my Samsung S10 950mbps on ethernet but I do a bit of gaming where ping is king.

50 mbps upload or thereabouts also. Also when you ping the vrigin server on speedtest app I get 20 but if I switch to Eir I can get 11. Is this just a virgin issue in the area?

Mine is 17m/s has always been around that figure, I don’t game so it doesn’t really matter but it’s certainly a lot higher than my old fttc line, it was always in single figures.

Hi all.

North County Dublin Virgin media Gigabit customer.

Has anyone noticed a jump in latency ping recently. I have a BQM setup on think broadband and it went up 8-10 m/s on the 25th march. This morning 6 am I see it jumped again so just trying to understand why this would be as Docsis 3.1 is supposed to be a low latency solution. Engineer was out and from house to 8 way Tap in manhole everything looks OK.

Speed isn't an issue. I can get 700 mbps down on my Samsung S10 950mbps on ethernet but I do a bit of gaming where ping is king.

50 mbps upload or thereabouts also. Also when you ping the vrigin server on speedtest app I get 20 but if I switch to Eir I can get 11. Is this just a virgin issue in the area?

I'm also in North Dublin on VM 1Gb service and my latency average is between 20-40 m/s consistently, for as long as I have the monitor running. I also don't bind to any DOCSIS 3.1 channels on my hub and I've had two engineer visits and they insist everything is normal.

It's my excuse for being poor at games :D

• 3 5G in the south east on a Galaxy S21. Fastest speed yet

D8jGE2X.jpg

• allanroche wrote: »
    I'm also in North Dublin on VM 1Gb service and my latency average is between 20-40 m/s consistently, for as long as I have the monitor running. I also don't bind to any DOCSIS 3.1 channels on my hub and I've had two engineer visits and they insist everything is normal.

It's my excuse for being poor at games :D

So mine was 17ms in March and now it approx 25ms average on Think Broadband. It came down about 3 ms last night. My hub says Docsis 3.1 enabled but not sure how accurate that is as I see a number of cmts warnings on channel 33 which is my docsis 3.1 downstream channel. Upload shows nothing so I don't know if that is enabled in the network.

Speeds are all good so it's really just the latency and is also my excuse for being a bad gamer.

• Advertisement

So mine was 17ms in March and now it approx 25ms average on Think Broadband. It came down about 3 ms last night. My hub says Docsis 3.1 enabled but not sure how accurate that is as I see a number of cmts warnings on channel 33 which is my docsis 3.1 downstream channel. Upload shows nothing so I don't know if that is enabled in the network.

Speeds are all good so it's really just the latency and is also my excuse for being a bad gamer.

Can I ask, have you had your 3.1 channel since you signed up? I've never been able to bind to any and have constant errors with the other channels.

• allanroche wrote: »
    Can I ask, have you had your 3.1 channel since you signed up? I've never been able to bind to any and have constant errors with the other channels.

I am not that sure. I probably didn't check in the beginning.

• Eir 150mb ftth near Waterville, Kerry. Finally setup this morning after 3 months of issues with ducting.

QGazijb.png

Torn on if i should upgrade it to 1gb, as i probably don't need it, but it would be nice.

• Kiith wrote: »
    Eir 150mb ftth near Waterville, Kerry. Finally setup this morning after 3 months of issues with ducting.

QGazijb.png

Torn on if i should upgrade it to 1gb, as i probably don't need it, but it would be nice.

They recently introduced 500Mb for €39.99/month in a 24 month contract. Could be a nice middle ground and set price for 2 years. I know you've had a lot of bother with eir but once connected they are as solid as you can get.

• Eir 1000/100Mbps FTTH

11428126329.png

I'll let you know when/if I stop smiling.

• Advertisement

• 2ms is incredible.

• limnam wrote: »
    2ms is incredible.

Eir always had great pings when I was with them, best of all the providers I was with.

• Eir's pings are the best in the country with FTTH. I've the service now 4 years and the ping has rarely been more than 2ms, sometimes it's only 1ms.

2ms is incredible.

It is and it isnt.

That test was Eir<->Eir. Really the ideal case. With NGA though they have the benefit of going straight to the dest and not having to encapsulate as far as the RAS.

Its all moot unless you're a 16yo Korean kid anyways :p

• ED E wrote: »
    That test was Eir<->Eir.

Actually that test wasn't IIRC. That was Eir<->Magnet.

So my posted test was over wired connection obviously. I'm on Wifi at the moment but ran a couple of tests anyway using different target servers and got ping results of either 4ms (Strencom & Ripple) or 5ms (Eir & Magnet).

• Codpeas wrote: »

It wasnt, take the .png off the end of your link.

• ED E wrote: »
    It wasnt, take the .png off the end of your link.

I stand corrected. My mistake.

• Virgin Media > Down:93Mbps, Up:25Mbps (250Mbps Package)

• Virgin Media > Down:93Mbps, Up:25Mbps (250Mbps Package)

Wireless or wired?

• With Eir using F3000 modem based in the hallway of 3 bed semi

Test run on iMac in upstairs box bedroom as we used to call it in the day - wireless

• Advertisement

• Codpeas wrote: »

So my posted test was over wired connection obviously. I'm on Wifi at the moment but ran a couple of tests anyway using different target servers and got ping results of either 4ms (Strencom & Ripple) or 5ms (Eir & Magnet).

I'd be interested to see what you get to the virgin media server. I get 19ms as a virgin customer over ethernet.

• Cuttlefish wrote: »
    With Eir using F3000 modem based in the hallway of 3 bed semi

Test run on iMac in upstairs box bedroom as we used to call it in the day - wireless

What package is that?

What package is that?

Eir

Eir

FTTC? FTTH? 100mb/150/1Gig?

Eir

Next tooth please....

• CoBo55 wrote: »
    Next tooth please....

???

• Getting meaningful information from you is like pulling teeth...

Eir is not a helpful answer.

FTTC? FTTH? 100mb/150/1Gig?

Apologies

FTTC
    and
    100mb

Apologies

FTTC
    and
    100mb

By the way I purchased an Eir twin pack Smart Hub package, set them up last night but haven't seen an improvement. I made measurements across various devices in different rooms before and after and nothing noticeable

• Advertisement

Apologies

FTTC
    and
    100mb

Can you see from your router stats what you are syncing at? Or whats your speed on a wired test?

Eir may sell you a FTTC package that states 100mb but it will be "up to" so if not very close to the cabinet you may get a lot less (78mb is probably above average for FTTC).

Advertisement