Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The annual ASTI Easter strike threat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,274 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Bobtheman wrote: »
    Jaysus you do need to get a, life. I did not call anybody unwashed. I joked about a shower. There is poor patenting out there. Don't be a snowflake

Fig who is calling who a snowflake

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

And the personal insults keep flying! Is this how you talk to people in real life? Parents?

You did call non-teachers great unwashed and the post was edited or deleted.

It was there for 10 seconds. Micro aggression??
    Do you have a valid point.
    You took offence to my poor parenting point. Yet you offered no logical argument against that.
    Either you are not a teacher or a you are a guidance Councellor or just think poorly behaved kids are acting out and have no personal agency??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭lulublue22

BettyS wrote: »
    You presume to know me or what I do? I have taught in third level. I actually know what it entails. I am not saying it is easy. But tell that to the A&E staff or Gardaí or social workers or criminal solicitors. Do you think that the rest of us just deal with genteel folk, happy to see it

3rd level - where the majority want to be there and if not just don’t bother turning up ! Where you implement ot, s&l programmes? Where you meet CAMHS /NEPS / EWO’s Where you flag children for assessment ? Where you fill in copious amounts of paperwork to support that assessment and where you apply to dep for assistive technology outside of actual teaching. Ya exactly the same 🀪

3rd level is not comparable to primary or secondary teaching- totally different context.

BTW when I used the unwashed it was against you all. I don't discriminate. Har har

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭BettyS

I want to preface this with many teachers do a wonderful job and are very sensible. However, my other-half who is an ICU doctor had to listen ad nauseum to his sister saying how stressful teaching during the lockdown is and how secondary teaching is the hardest job in the world. His parents who are also teachers agreed. They would tell him this after a 24h weekend call in the ICU. He works sometimes 6 days in a week. They didn’t garner support amongst us. I don’t pretend to think that their jobs are easy. But they have to acknowledge the perks that they have, that other people don’t. When my OH mentions how he would love their holidays they tell him that he couldn’t cope with a group of teenagers... Perspective is key... And you get more flies with honey...

• Advertisement

lulublue22 wrote: »
    3rd level - where the majority want to be there and if not just don’t bother turning up ! Where you implement ot, s&l programmes? Where you meet CAMHS /NEPS / EWO’s Where you flag children for assessment ? Where you fill in copious amounts of paperwork to support that assessment and where you apply to dep for assistive technology outside of actual teaching. Ya exactly the same ��

3rd level is not comparable to primary or secondary teaching- totally different context.

You expect sympathy on this pseudo-anonymised forum and yet you s**t on my career. I take my hat off to you

• Registered Users Posts: 7,281 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Regarding parents overwhelmed I'm making the point how difficult parents found it to homeschool.
    Yes they were often working too.
    But parents often don't take into account that teachers have 25 plus kids..
    There is poor parenting. Not a majority.
    But to say otherwise is bull****

Just like you have no idea how hard other people's jobs are.

Seriously you seem to think teaching is a massive chore and the hardest work ever.

How much experience have you outside of teaching?

Why did you choose teaching as a profession????

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭lulublue22

You expect sympathy on this pseudo-anonymised forum and yet you s**t on my career. I take my hat off to you

I don’t ****e on your career - I made the statement that it’s not comparable with primary / secondary teaching. Plus you’ve been free enough ( other than the little oh I think the majority of teachers tripe you posted above) dishing out the ****e on teachers over the last week - it hits a bit close to the bone when it’s directed back at you though. 🀪

• Registered Users Posts: 12,301 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

392602eb42d4433d8ea29607f66c902e

All Eyes On Rafah

I don’t ****e on your career - I made the statement that it’s not comparable with primary / secondary teaching. Plus you’ve been free enough ( other than the little oh I think the majority of teachers tripe you posted above) dishing out the ****e on teachers over the last week - it hits a bit close to the bone when it’s directed back at you though. ��

I have simply stated that the ASTI has erroneously demanded (their words not mine) vaccinations ahead of the medically vulnerable. In my humble opinion, the resources should be directed to those most likely to die from the vaccine. Life is precious to us all. And furthermore, I point out why people might not be overly sympathetic to teachers

I couldn’t really give a toss what somebody thinks of me on Boards. The purpose of the post that you responded to is to demonstrate how this whole thread is a concerted effort to engender support for teachers. Yet, as soon as any other profession is mentioned, it is dismissed by posters like yourself

• Advertisement

I don’t ****e on your career - I made the statement that it’s not comparable with primary / secondary teaching. Plus you’ve been free enough ( other than the little oh I think the majority of teachers tripe you posted above) dishing out the ****e on teachers over the last week - it hits a bit close to the bone when it’s directed back at you though. ��

You make it sound like my former job was a walk in the park and that I had no stress in comparison. All jobs carry their unique stresses.

Please point out anything that you feel has been derogatory? Observation is not the same as criticism. Nor should the mob on her come after me for holding a different opinion. If I said anything nasty or derogatory, I will gladly publicly apologise

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭teachinggal123

BTW when I used the unwashed it was against you all. I don't discriminate. Har har

Keep digging

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭teachinggal123

I want to preface this with many teachers do a wonderful job and are very sensible. However, my other-half who is an ICU doctor had to listen ad nauseum to his sister saying how stressful teaching during the lockdown is and how secondary teaching is the hardest job in the world. His parents who are also teachers agreed. They would tell him this after a 24h weekend call in the ICU. He works sometimes 6 days in a week. They didn’t garner support amongst us. I don’t pretend to think that their jobs are easy. But they have to acknowledge the perks that they have, that other people don’t. When my OH mentions how he would love their holidays they tell him that he couldn’t cope with a group of teenagers... Perspective is key... And you get more flies with honey...

As a teacher, I’ve seen/heard similar many times. In real life as well as the staff room. You can see this attitude from teachers all over boards.

I’m embarrassed by it.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭briangriffin

No I am not I deal with reality. I am one of the many parents that worked hard and paid my taxes. I bit my lip at teacher parent meeting lime many other to get the best outcome for our children.

My youngest child wrote a letter of complaint about a one teacher in school after the principal requested it. The principle then rang me and asked me to get it withdrawn as it created an issue for him. Which I got my son to do.

I am not bashing. A lot of teachers not all teacher's have no understanding of the stresses and reality of those on lower and lower middle incomes especially those with younger children. Te reality of child care costs often equivalent to a second mortgage and paying it for 12-15 years over 2-3 children's early years is often outside there understanding

You are implying that I dont work hard that I dont pay taxes that I dont have childcare costs that I dont have a mortgage. I have all of those things and my salary is not going to pay all of those my wife works also because she has too. Most teachers have all those things and they are just ordinary people trying to pay the mortgage and raise their kids. I'm well aware of the pressures of parents - I work with them this teachers v parents bullshít is ridiculous.
    That experience you describe sounds horrible and Ive no idea what the principal was playing at but it isnt indicative of every teacher.

As a teacher, I’ve seen/heard similar many times. In real life as well as the staff room. You can see this attitude from teachers all over boards.

I’m embarrassed by it.

I remember a good lesson from my mother. She was a CO in the civil service. She works hard and does her best. She always told me that I was very lucky to be born with “a good brain”. She told me that even though I might find her job very easy, to her, it is a struggle and she is doing her best. She taught me not to judge other people’s efforts or achievements based on my own abilities.

Look, bottom line, I don’t know what it is like to stand in front of a group of young teenagers. But on the other hand, you don’t know the difficulties that I face in my job. I have got to admit that I would love a teacher’s holidays. But I acknowledge that your job is difficult in other ways.

The fundamental argument is not “my job is harder than yours.” The argument for me is that there are vulnerable people who will die if they don’t get the vaccine. I want to ensure that our society protects those who are most likely to die

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭Treppen

I’m embarrassed by it.

but teachers aren't an homogeneous group. I hear that farming is one of the hardest jobs, being a single parent is the hardest, being a barman is the hardest.

Ya it's true there are whingers in every profession... but you should still be able to complain without strawman arguments being thrown up. How often has the holidays and pay been thrown up on this and other threads.

Lovely could you back that up there with facts and figures. You are saying if im no t reading you wrong that teachers are robbing children of capitation and putting extra kids in our classes because we are a shower of overpaid greedy bástards who dont care about anything but lining our pockets?

I mean don't dress it up lets be straight here

As a percentage of our nation.budget I. 2020 we proposed to spend 14% on all education. The percentage accross developed countries is 11% varying from 6-17% we spend above average from.our budget on education.

Slava Ukrainii

As a percentage of our nation.budget I. 2020 we proposed to spend 14% on all education. The percentage accross developed countries is 11% varying from 6-17% we spend above average from.our budget on education.

Have you a source for that?

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Seaandwind

I’m embarrassed by it.

I agree, embarrassing to say we have the hardest job in the world. We don’t.

I also want to point out someone said we have to acknowledge the perks we have- absolutely. I am very excited for my summer holidays. Buzzing in fact! (Unvaccinated / I don’t plan on going abroad !) it is an incredible perk.

I do think it is worth acknowledging like in any job it is very much down to the individuals at hand. Some people can switch off from caring about their work, I cannot do this and have found the burden of completing course work to be quite overwhelming. This last term has been difficult with all the changes which are usually made at 5/6pm on a Friday, the lack of time to complete extra course work, the absent students who are falling behind, the worry of the environment we are in. I need to switch off really - but I cannot compare this to the work of anyone in an ICU or the likes - not even close!.

I think this thread has derailed a little, peasants and unwashed people? Very bizarre.

I think maybe the amount that goes per child would be a better measure.

• Advertisement

Treppen wrote: »
    Have you a source for that?

https://www.oecd-ilibrary.org/sites/7656ff61-en/index.html?itemId=/content/component/7656ff61-en#:~:text=In%202017%2C%20on%20average%20across,direct%20public%20expenditure%20on%20education.

In 2020 budget proposals the government proposed a 11.1 billion education budget out of a total budget of 75 billion or 14%

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Locotastic

AMA - now you're talking to a proud ASTI member :rolleyes:

Just like you have no idea how hard other people's jobs are.

Seriously you seem to think teaching is a massive chore and the hardest work ever.

How much experience have you outside of teaching?

Why did you choose teaching as a profession????

Can you please find the quotes where I said it was the hardest job in the world??

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,217 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

You could use a shower..
    Get a life teaching gal if you think this is a serious thread. It ain't.

Mod:

Don't post in this thread again seeing as you are unable to stay civil

Treppen wrote: »
    I think maybe the amount that goes per child would be a better measure.

Not really. Budgets are limited. There are certain limits few countries can pass. If you to make changes you must look within the budget to redirect funding if your budget is in the higher percentile's

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Triangle

khalessi wrote: »
    Yep 1/3 of first shppment had to be returned but anyways.

The original agreement was to get done after elderly and vunerable never first but sure details. So you are happy to believe, like some here, a union will fight to get members vaccinated to fly away on holidays, riiight I see where you are coming from.

So regarding enhanced safety measures in schools how would you feel about them being implemented?

I think the unions are basing it on emotions and not logic. Fear is a great motivator.
    They're also self serving and not looking for the greater good.

As stated before, I'm all for upgrading schools ventilation, energy efficiency, IT and social/sports facilities. I think there's a lot of investment needed in schools

• Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Danick

Everyone seems to miss the point that ASTI strikes never achieve anything - when have the ASTI ever achieved anything? They are a joke of a union as their leader can’t string a succinct sentence together - you’d fall asleep by the time he reaches the end of his first sentence.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

khalessi wrote: »
    INteresting studies, both using information from term 1, your first study took place between August and October last year. Now we have B117. That study also says there is a caveat, if safety measure are used. We dont have social distancing in Irish schools. Even when the Dept went to all the trouble of getting a draughtsman to draw lovely diagrams they managed 40cm in some diagrams between students, and also had some sitting practically on radiators.

The bbc report uses info from December.

Most recent data from ONS in UK shows teachers second highest profession after HCWs to get Long Covid. 25% of teachers have got Long Covid, which has ongoing neurological, respiratory and cardiac affect amongst other illnesses. Also B117 is showing that is is effecting younger age groups.
    I could suggest you having a look at Dr Deepti Gurdasani epidemiologist in UK who has been on a number of tv and radio in UK since January and the onsalught of B117 discussing the role of schools in transmission.

I could also suggest De. Zoe Hyde epidemiologist

At the moment most epidemiologists are big on ventilation in fighting B117 and air filtering but the Dept of Education does not want to know.

I went looking for this most recent ons data that says 25% of UK teachers have long covid and wasn't able to locate it?

Any chance you can provide it, a link to it on the ons site or such?

Seems a very high number to say 1/4 teachers now have long covid when all I can find is much lower figures - dating back to last December admittedly

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭derb12

I heard this discussed in the radio this morning and the takeaway was to get testing going at 3rd level. To my knowledge, there is very little in person stuff at 3rd level at the moment. https://assets.gov.ie/129982/35f38622-e397-4468-96a9-4b499f85a2be.pdf

This sounds promising and a no-brainer. The unions should be pushing for the measures suggested in c1.12 in a sample of schools. Starting right now.
    Obviously for the rest of the country people working in other crowded setting should be doing this too.
    I read somewhere that 600 out of the 25000 non symptomatic people who had been tested for covid in the temp pop up centres were positive. About 1 in 50. Yikes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,938 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

ASTzI represents post primary

Thanks, but tbh I knew that.
    I was just responding to a poster who appeared to be suggesting that they represented primary schools by posting the annual schooldays for primary schools of 183 rather than the 163 for post primary schools.

Advertisement