Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shane Lowry - 2019 Champion Golfer of The Year (note first post please for posting guidance)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭dublin49

Felexicon wrote: »
    Just catching up on yesterday.

Think the 2nd chip(drop) on 15 deserves a lot of credit.
    Serious bottle to go for it after what happened this 1st one.

absolutely,the drive on 11 after two hooks on 9 & 10 was huge for him as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭ClutchIt

Very solid round from Shane. Be fantastic to see him go well again today. Come on Shaneo!

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Mac_Lad71

Terrible approach shot after a great opening drive

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

Mac_Lad71 wrote: »
    Terrible approach shot after a great opening drive

Took 6, sloppy start

double bogey from the middle of the fairway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,099 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

That really was a disappointing start after that drive and seeing Rose in trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,338 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

That is a specific example, I am talking in general Jordan Spieth gets a lot of breaks from errant tee shots. He played well in the Texas open, especially last Sunday, and deserved to win, but some of his pure luck is unreal. Same with the Tommy Fleetwood hole in one in the matchplay against Fritelli, he hit a tee shot over the flag, it nearly stuck on the bank, but rolled about 20 yards back towards the hole, and dropped in. There is a skill element of course, but some of the shots are outrageously lucky. I suppose that is for another thread, but some players are luckier than others. Speith and Mackenzie Hughes spring to mind, Hughes has a record of holing all sorts of miracle shots, when his luck runs out, he will be back on the korn ferry tour

This comes across as very bitter. So, woe is Shane because of the 15th last night, but the other lads are just lucky all the time?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭badabing106

I wonder would lowry swap his driving for spieths putting this week ? Would Spieth swap lowrys driving for his putting?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭Acosta

Completely blowing up here after just two holes.

Hopefully he can sort his head out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭4Ad

Poor start. Damn..

• Advertisement

6 6 start ..hasn't got pace of greens at all

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

fullstop wrote: »
    This comes across as very bitter. So, woe is Shane because of the 15th last night, but the other lads are just lucky all the time?

Not what I said, I said Jordan speith gets more than his fair share of luck, mostly off poor tee shots, I didn't say its all about luck. It's not bitter at all, it's a conclusion I have drawn from watching lots of golf. I don't have any interest in who is lucky or unlucky, its an observation

• Registered Users Posts: 17,762 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Shocker of a start, nice approach on 3.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭Acosta

Great response in fairness

Great pitch..hopefully he will settle down a bit now.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,207 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Great approach on 3, 1 back at least.

Regard the 15th yesterday, his chip was better than Spieths. Lowry was unlucky to keep trickling, Spieths was trucking so certainly lucky he caught the flagstick so square

Mushy wrote: »
    Great approach on 3, 1 back at least.

Regard the 15th yesterday, his chip was better than Spieths. Lowry was unlucky to keep trickling, Spieths was trucking so certainly lucky he caught the flagstick so square

Oh there’s no doubt about that. But as someone else pointed out, they both hit ****e tee shots off 9 and Shane walks off with a 3 and Spieth with a 7, so swings and roundabouts.

Anyway, good birdie on 3. Needs to keep it solid for the next few holes and take advantage of 8.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,409 ✭✭✭boardise

4Ad wrote: »
    Poor start. Damn..

More proof that these facile cliches about 'confidence' are essentially meaningless.
    People were gushing yesterday that Lowry's finishing birdies would boost his 'confidence' . So where was this 'confidence' on the first two holes today ?
    He must have slept it off during night .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭abff

The more I look at this week’s golf, the more I realise what a lottery it is. The slightest misjudgement (particularly around the greens) can be punished extremely harshly. The slopes on some of those greens are ridiculous.

I presume that when the members are playing throughout the rest of the year, the greens are not cut anything like as tight as they are this week?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,783 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

fullstop wrote:
    Yeah, kinda pointless having a conversation with someone like that.

• Advertisement

abff wrote: »
    I presume that when the members are playing throughout the rest of the year, the greens are not cut anything like as tight as they are this week?

Weirdly, in the US they seem to set these places up with ridiculous green speeds for members as well a lot of the time. Seems to be like a badge of honour for the members. Wasn’t it the last WGC in Florida where the members were complaining that the greens were too slow for the tournament?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,409 ✭✭✭boardise

SL's 6 par 5s played so far ---> +2 !!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,783 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

That's one of his big issues this year. He's ranked 200th in par 5 scoring on the PGA Tour coming into this tournament.

Battle to make the cut now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,955 ✭✭✭eggy81

Needs a birdie here now. Feels like he’s not too far away from a score but at the same time it could fall apart at any second too.

Back to back birdies on 12 & 13...great response in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,993 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

He should make the cut handy as long as he doesn't blow up on the last few holes or the rest of the field comes out in the afternoon and does really well

• Registered Users Posts: 7,477 ✭✭✭Trampas

Par 5’s are important here and just not doing it on them. 7 shots worse than rose on them so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,207 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Great birdie on last to be Even. Cut made so hopefully pick up over the weekend

• Advertisement

Strong finish from Shane finishing his round with a nice birdie three at the 18th for a 73 today and level par total through 2 rounds. Just inside the top 20 as I post this

Advertisement