Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shane Lowry - 2019 Champion Golfer of The Year (note first post please for posting guidance)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,504 ✭✭✭Trampas

Looks like getting it done today

• Registered Users Posts: 17,801 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

That's an important win, 3 defeats from 3 wouldn't have looked good in terms of the Ryder cup.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

A dead rubber win isn't going to hold much weight either though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭abff

kmart6 wrote: »
    A dead rubber win isn't going to hold much weight either though.

Better than losing, though!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

abff wrote: »
    Better than losing, though!

For sure and the money is distributed according to points won, so Shane has made himself a few quid if nothing else.

He'll be feeling a small bit better leaving as well anyway, don't know if he's playing Houston before the Masters? I'd say he might now that's he's leaving early from here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,504 ✭✭✭Trampas

Perez making knockout will increase points for Lowry to catch his automatic spot.

Garcia and Mac Intyre making knockout near spots don’t make it easier also. One thing catching one player as they might have a slump but the more players the less chance they all have one

• Registered Users Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭abff

Trampas wrote: »
    Perez making knockout will increase points for Lowry to catch his automatic spot.

Garcia and Mac Intyre making knockout near spots don’t make it easier also. One thing catching one player as they might have a slump but the more players the less chance they all have one

At this stage Shane needs something along the lines of a couple of wins or a win plus a top five in a major if he is going to have a chance of making the team.

abff wrote: »
    At this stage Shane needs something along the lines of a couple of wins or a win plus a top five in a major if he is going to have a chance of making the team.

It's all under control. He's had Harrington staying at his gaff the last few weeks ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

Doing a Faldo and was it Casey who didn't play last event as was told he had a pick?

He's not playing in Texas this week, which is a little disappointing as there's definitely been some green shoots and might have been a good opportunity for a top 10 or better.

But he's the defending Open champion, so is entitled to concentrate on Augusta and hopefully put in a befitting performance there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭willabur

his most recent trip to augusta was his best showing, his only one under par.

At augusta you need to be a brilliant putter to win, Tee to green it is not that difficult of a course.
    putting probably the weakest part of his game at the moment

willabur wrote: »

At augusta you need to be a brilliant putter to win, Tee to green it is not that difficult of a course.
    putting probably the weakest part of his game at the moment

Of course you have to putt well to win, it's like that every week. Get what you're saying but it can become a little overplayed when it comes to Augusta because of the speed of the greens.

Langer, Couples, Singh, Cabrera, Bubba, Adam Scott, Sergio to name but a few of the brilliant putters to don the Green Jacket ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Talk of Augusta gona play fast and firm. Might play to Shane's strengths

redzerdrog wrote: »
    Talk of Augusta gona play fast and firm. Might play to Shane's strengths

Saw a photo on Twitter today with himself, Rory, Lee Westwood, and Tommy Bjorn. Where were they playing?

Saw a photo on Twitter today with himself, Rory, Lee Westwood, and Tommy Bjorn. Where were they playing?

Bears Club in Florida. I know Shane & Rory are Members there and play/practice there a lot. Not sure about the other two.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,877 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

willabur wrote:
    At augusta you need to be a brilliant putter to win, Tee to green it is not that difficult of a course. putting probably the weakest part of his game at the moment
    It was really does come down to the par 5 performance. You have to be successful on them to win.
    And putting isn't as huge as you might think because they are so difficult it actually favours those who hike less putts. Obviously inside ten feet is where you need to be good but scrambling is probably more important and Shane certainly is good at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭dublin49

eagle ee wrote: »
    It was really does come down to the par 5 performance. You have to be successful on them to win.
    And putting isn't as huge as you might think because they are so difficult it actually favours those who hike less putts. Obviously inside ten feet is where you need to be good but scrambling is probably more important and Shane certainly is good at that.

well Shanes performance on par fives can be very underwhelming to say the least,for a guy with his short game he regularly doesnt get his fair shake on par fives.I think alot of the time he cant go for it in two because his drive is in the rough thus neutralising the strongest part of his game..

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Speith is looking so good right now. Getting better off the tee as the weeks go on, his iron play is pretty much the best statistically speaking at the moment and his short game has always been fantastic.

3rd favourite for next week and I’d say he could go off favourite by the time next Thursday comes along.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,631 ✭✭✭CMcsporty

Surprised that he is saying that he is happy with his putting!

“I am very happy with where my game is at and very comfortable and confident,” Lowry said in a Zoom call with Irish golf writers before leaving Florida for Augusta, Georgia. “I feel like I just need to keep doing what I am doing and play the waiting game and not try to force it too much over the next while.

“I am hopeful it happens this week but if it doesn’t then hopefully the weeks after. I am driving the ball pretty well now after putting the new Srixon driver in at the start of the year that I am very very happy with and the rest of my game is pretty good too.

I struggled on the greens at the start of the year but I feel like I have got to a point now where I am happy with my putter so if everything comes together I really think I can do something special in the coming weeks and I am very hopeful that will be this week.”

Lowry, 34 last week, will not place too much store in achieving his best finish at the Masters last time out, a tie for 25th..... heading into his sixth appearance.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,877 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Some ranking stats from the PGA Tour. Important areas for this week.
    SG Tee to Green 33rd
    SG approach 88th
    One putts 212th
    3 putt avoidance 189th
    Par 5 scoring 200th

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭willabur

Really hard to see him coming out top in Augusta with stats like that.
    Par 5 in particular is hurting him

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

willabur wrote: »
    Really hard to see him coming out top in Augusta with stats like that.
    Par 5 in particular is hurting him

Really hard see him making the cut tbf

gypsy79 wrote: »
    Really hard see him making the cut tbf

Strange comment. Easiest of the majors to make the cut at.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,801 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Hard to see him competing on the back 9 on Sunday but he sounded very confident on the podcast. Who knows, if he putts well he'll have a chance.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

Exactly wrote: »

He currently seems to be able to through out a +8 or +9 at will!

gypsy79 wrote: »
    He currently seems to be able to through out a +8 or +9 at will!

When?

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭benji79

I reckon he’ll have a great week, Top 10

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭dublin49

Shane is mercurial,if he gets in a flunk he can't shake it, watching his scoring on shottracker mostly if he has a bad hole it seems to affect him more than most,thats my impression anyway.alternatively if he gets going he is a birdie machine,I would imagine its up in the air until he gets out there ,needs to keep doubles off his card and hopefully get under par early so he is not watching the cut and then anything can happen.
    Having a major win already I would imagine would help him enormously if he can get in the mix down the stretch on Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,541 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Exactly wrote: »

3 missed cuts from 5 appearances is poor so.

• Advertisement

Speak Now wrote: »
    3 missed cuts from 5 appearances is poor so.

Not great alright when you consider the below.

Field: 88

Cut: Top 50 + ties (10 shot rule was removed last year).

When you consider amateurs and former champions who are well past their best the 88 reduces down further.

It goes without saying that even with the Top players a certain amount of them will have a bad week and miss the cut.

Advertisement