Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shane Lowry - 2019 Champion Golfer of The Year (note first post please for posting guidance)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

Low ranking points this week compared to most weeks on tour.

Doing well but not a great day today but he is in his streaky run.

Is he playing in matchplay?

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭wildrover444

Shane shooting 5 over on his back nine . Pretty awful stuff. Hopefully he can get a top ten finish tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 11,353 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Shane shooting 5 over on his back nine . Pretty awful stuff. Hopefully he can get a top ten finish tomorrow

His putting is a big, big problem for him. That’s a very bad back 9.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Just when we thought a corner had been turned......

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Bill Ponderosa

Still wouldn't rule him out but looks unlikely now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭dublin49

I hope today was Shanes bad day and hopefullly tomorrow will be better.if Jones has a bad day tomorrow Shane is only 4 behind although there is a big number of players back in the mix

• Registered Users Posts: 7,538 ✭✭✭Trampas

I’d like t see him try and shot as low as possible by playing aggressive and signs with whatever. Nothing to lose

Trampas wrote: »
    I’d like t see him try and shot as low as possible by playing aggressive and signs with whatever. Nothing to lose

nah.sensible head ,shoot 2 under get top 5/10 and continue good run and try a get a good run next week.Play agressive there and you could look silly.just putt better.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Shocking weekend for Lowry. Last 2 rounds have really undone any momentum built up through the previous 6.

If shot tracker is accurate on the greens his putting has been his achilles heel this week. Plus a few brain farrs but they're always going to happen. Hes had plenty of birdie looks but couldn't convert.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,353 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Full-on implosion. +8 for his last 18 holes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭castor 1

+4 for final round. Probably got a bit aggressive alright and didn’t work out.
    It’s a very difficult course and he has played some good golf. Just needs a bit more consistency.

Hopefully continues to improve for Augusta.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Bill Ponderosa

Crazy how he can go from 67-66 to 74-74 on the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,902 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

It's mad, he went from the most likely winner on 10 yesterday to midfield also ran.

His putting will worrying him but there's definitely a lot of encouragement and he has the Matchplay next, a good run there and he'll be in great shape, will also want to show that he can handle the Matchplay environment, be a good chance to take a big American scalp maybe.

He'll need to putt better but once it's going against you on those grainy bermuda greens it can be hard to regain your confidence. Add in high winds and loads of water and it can get away from you fast.

There's more reason to be upbeat than not I would say

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Very disappointing seeing Hagy on -7 finishes second and Shane was on -8 before that awful back 9 yesterday.

It's mad, he went from the most likely winner on 10 yesterday to midfield also ran.

There's more reason to be upbeat than not I would say

dont think so .he was fragile when playing well ,the last 27 holes wont have done his fragile confidence any good although matchplay might be better for him after that .He struggles to get back on track after a few bad holes

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Well beaten today in the matchplay.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Gets our first today as his match is a dead rubber

Needs a result of something to get some ranking points

• Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

I think this week as ruined any chance he had of gett6a wildcard pick for the Ryder cup. His only hope now is to make the team on points.

I think he was unlikely to get a pick anyway but this week has put to bed any slim hope

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭hurleronditch

redzerdrog wrote: »
    I think this week as ruined any chance he had of gett6a wildcard pick for the Ryder cup. His only hope now is to make the team on points.

I think he was unlikely to get a pick anyway but this week has put to bed any slim hope

I’d reckon the match play forms only a tiny percentage of any captains decision.

Shane is clearly not in great form at all at the moment, he had been driving well with a sketchy putter but the driving seems to have not been great last 2 days.

I’m not pretending he’s not going to have to have a massive improvement in results to get into contention, but we have 4 majors and a bunch of WGCs before the cutoff date. are you really implying if he went on a run but came up just a slot or two short of the automatic places Harrington will discount him because he was poor in the match play 6 months previous? Nonsense.

But he absolutely needs to put a run together, as the longer it goes on the points target gets higher higher.

I’d reckon the match play forms only a tiny percentage of any captains decision.

Shane is clearly not in great form at all at the moment, he had been driving well with a sketchy putter but the driving seems to have not been great last 2 days.

I’m not pretending he’s not going to have to have a massive improvement in results to get into contention, but we have 4 majors and a bunch of WGCs before the cutoff date. are you really implying if he went on a run but came up just a slot or two short of the automatic places Harrington will discount him because he was poor in the match play 6 months previous? Nonsense.

But he absolutely needs to put a run together, as the longer it goes on the points target gets higher higher.

He did well in players and first two rounds last week. Gone off the boil since then.

Performance this week could have a say in it. It’s match play like Ryder cup

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

He has a poor match play record! Of course that is gona come into play. You dont see many rookies with poor matchplay records getting wildcard picks.

If he had of made the semis or even quarters this week and then narrowly missed out of automatic qualification down the line there certain stronger arguement for a wildcard pick.

If he misses out my the smallest of margins and is the form player right before the picks are a made he has a chance but that chance is slim I would think

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭hurleronditch

He did well in players and first two rounds last week. Gone off the boil since then.

Performance this week could have a say in it. It’s match play like Ryder cup

Very very minor I’d say.

If he goes on a good run and wins or strings together a bunch of top 10s and gets very close to the automatic slots, he’ll have as good a chance as anyone of going. Harrington isn’t going to look back at the match play and make a call on that if Shane is in form and just falls short.

If he doesn’t go on that run, this conversation is irrelevant, he has zero chance. Even the Ryder cup warhorses like poulter and Westwood wouldn’t get picked from miles out of the points table so a rookie never will.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭CMcsporty

Loads of time for Shane.
    I would point out one quite troubling fact. He is a bad match play player.

He has won only 1 singles game out of his last 14 matches!!

In total only winning 6 out of 24 matches.

In fairness to that poster i would say match play form/record would actually be a very important percentage in Harrington's decision.
    e.g. Lowry: OWGR 41 v Bob MacIntyre: OWGR 44
    If both were just outside the automatic places i know who i'd pick.

Lowry has one obvious trump card. He is a Major winner.
    But Macintyre is simply the better pick primarily because he's a better putter.

May i ask who would you pick between Lowry v Poulter and Lowry v MacIntyre if all were just outside automatic spots?

Unfortunately I wouldn't be picking Lowry in ether case.
    And I say that believing Lowry will win another major.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Obviously Lowry won't get a pick ahead of the postman but I'd probably pick him ahead of Mcintyre mainly due to Mcintyres lack of experience in the bigger events especially in the US.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Very very minor I’d say.

If he goes on a good run and wins or strings together a bunch of top 10s and gets very close to the automatic slots, he’ll have as good a chance as anyone of going. Harrington isn’t going to look back at the match play and make a call on that if Shane is in form and just falls short.

If he doesn’t go on that run, this conversation is irrelevant, he has zero chance. Even the Ryder cup warhorses like poulter and Westwood wouldn’t get picked from miles out of the points table so a rookie never will.

How many in your bunch? He’s 70 points behind getting in on world points so that’s about 6 top 10 finishes and not in top 5. Even a win on pga tour wouldn’t get him in on points. Never mind people above him getting in. He needs some top 5’s or a win and something else thrown in. He just doesn’t look like doing it. If he was non Irish would you feel the same?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭benny79

Did he win his match against Rahm I went o bed he was 3 down on think on back 9.. hardly showed ant of him

How many in your bunch? He’s 70 points behind getting in on world points so that’s about 6 top 10 finishes and not in top 5. Even a win on pga tour wouldn’t get him in on points. Never mind people above him getting in. He needs some top 5’s or a win and something else thrown in. He just doesn’t look like doing it. If he was non Irish would you feel the same?

Points earned at the moment are x 1.5 and will move to double points soon enough. Not saying he will or won't make it but the system is designed to reward the fella in form at the right time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

He showed some fight at the end of his match yesterday. All he can do now is try get the win today, and move on to prep for the next tournament.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭CMcsporty

T8th at THE PLAYERS (ALL CAPS) was very encouraging.
    It was the first time in his career that he putted right-hand low. Which was also very worrying!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

benny79 wrote: »
    Did he win his match against Rahm I went o bed he was 3 down on think on back 9.. hardly showed ant of him

He fought back towards the end, but was beaten on the last.

Advertisement