Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ruining a wedding

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,849 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I was at a wedding where some guy spent about 40 mins just talking about the history of the hotel. It's the oldest hotel in Ireland apparently. Who gives a fook.
    Ha ha
    ....Its Irelands biggest lingerie department vibes...

Exactly

• Registered Users Posts: 6,040 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

gmisk wrote: »
    I got married in registry office two witnesses, one other friend came along to take pictures, lovely posh dinner in shanahans, cocktails booked in nice hotel after that. Went to a gig that night. Stayed in the marker for it all day or two before and after.
    We headed away on small holiday to Vienna two days after.
    Zero stress, had a brilliant day, got to splash on nice suits, meals the whole time, hotel etc.

Only issue was covid put the cabosh on our big actual official honeymoon to Italy, but hey hopefully next year! We still have credit in the hotel at lake gardai.
    That's what you want. I don't think I could deal with the stress of being a groom or best man at a traditional wedding.

That's what you want. I don't think I could deal with the stress of being a groom or best man at a traditional wedding.
    That's it exactly.
    Had an absolutely brilliant time.

I honestly am not sure people really like going to a big wedding anyway tbh, the cost, the stress, the hangovers, the fact they run for multiple days now seemingly etc. I know I generally don't!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,220 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Never been to a wedding that was ruined.

I once ended up beside some guy I barely knew, he spent most of the meal talking about people he knew that had either died or contracted some illness. A total misery-junkie.

'It's a friend's wedding - cheer up you miserable prick', is what I thought to myself.

I was glad when the meal/speeches were over and I could get away from him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

That's it exactly.
    Had an absolutely brilliant time.

I honestly am not sure people really like going to a big wedding anyway tbh, the cost, the stress, the hangovers, the fact they run for multiple days now seemingly etc. I know I generally don't!

100%. A friend of mine compares getting a wedding invite to getting a summons in the post

• Advertisement

Never been to a wedding that was ruined.

I once ended up beside some guy I barely knew, he spent most of the meal talking about people he knew that had either died or contracted some illness. A total misery-junkie.

'It's a friend's wedding - cheer up you miserable prick', is what I thought to myself.

I was glad when the meal/speeches were over and I could get away from him.
    You sat beside Joe Duffy?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Porklife

I got married in registry office two witnesses, one other friend came along to take pictures, lovely posh dinner in shanahans, cocktails booked in nice hotel after that. Went to a gig that night. Stayed in the marker for it all day or two before and after.
    We headed away on small holiday to Vienna two days after.
    Zero stress, had a brilliant day, got to splash on nice suits, meals the whole time, hotel etc.

Only issue was covid put the cabosh on our big actual official honeymoon to Italy, but hey hopefully next year! We still have credit in the hotel at lake gardai.

Boooo.. we only wanna hear the trainwreck stories! :p
    Your wedding sounds awesome tbh and it's exactly how I'd want mine :)

I was at the wedding of a childhood friend and the bestman was a mutual childhood friend who is notoriously clumsy and a bit of a loveable fool. He opened his speech by saying
    "I'm sure im not the only one here today surprised to see X getting married..let's face it, we all know he's secretly gay!"
    An awkward silence followed as he chuckled to himself oblivious and continued with "..well I got to say i knew it to his uncle Peter when I found them kissing behind the church!" After filthy looks from the bride and groom he fumbled through the rest of the speech before sitting down and missing his chair causing a huge commontion of cutlery and glasses to crash to the floor.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

The first wedding I went to was quite a young wedding, bride and groom both early 20s, youngish crowd at the wedding, best man was early 20s and I'd say the bridesmaid was still a teenager. People were getting fairly drunk and it just had a bit of a hectic feeling in general. Best man got up to make his speech and he was locked. He cracked a few slightly inappropriate jokes throughout but then he said something about the bride being 'sloppy seconds' as it was the best man who was going out with her first before she started seeing the groom. It didn't ruin the wedding but there was a bit of a weird feeling in the room that they just wanted the speeches to end ASAP.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I'm getting married next week, with a grand total of six guests. Fúcking delighted about it to be honest, even before reading this thread :-)

That’s what I’m aiming for this summer :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

There was been three weddings in my family (myself and 2 sisters) and in three different countries. Absolutely eff all drama.

The biggest drama was my 10 year old nephew gorging on sweets and puking into a jug on the table. Rock and roll..

Oh yeah and I snogged a random girl the night before my wedding out late with the lads...they physically dragged me away back to the hotel before I escalated matters. Waking up the morning of my wedding next to a one night stand would have been bad form..in my defence she was absolutely stunning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

The first wedding I went to was quite a young wedding, bride and groom both early 20s, youngish crowd at the wedding, best man was early 20s and I'd say the bridesmaid was still a teenager. People were getting fairly drunk and it just had a bit of a hectic feeling in general. Best man got up to make his speech and he was locked. He cracked a few slightly inappropriate jokes throughout but then he said something about the bride being 'sloppy seconds' as it was the best man who was going out with her first before she started seeing the groom. It didn't ruin the wedding but there was a bit of a weird feeling in the room that they just wanted the speeches to end ASAP.

Sloppy seconds as a phrase is like MILF , it’s bandied about in the vernacular without any thought of what it means

• Registered Users Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭celt262

In fairness, he may have had a point?

All our home videos from the 1990s involve kids zooming-in on a pair of an aunt's breasts (???) or someone's arse, and the sound of howling laughter. Even now when i find an old tape, I think to myself "oh this will probably be just a video of the aunts' tits" (or whatever). So bizarre.

Can you send them onto me please :pac:

Actually I was at a same sex wedding a few years back. Two ladies (one was the daughter of a very good long stadning friend of my wife). TBH the two women were/are rough as a badger's ass and the family of one was dog rough. A lot of mullets, jewellery and tattoos on show and that was just the guys.

Two heavily overweight and heavily tatooed women kissing in reality was not all that good...

It was so bad that I ended up having a good time. I even emptied the bar of it's only bottle of Jameson. Ended up drinking Famous Grouse with one of the bride's 90 year old grandfather.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭ontour2

..from behind the bar

The wedding band went to the wrong hotel which was a 2.5 hour drive away. Luckily uncle Tommy brought in his guitar to break the silence and was doing well. A bit of Neil Diamond and all that. As time was ticking on, encouraged by the guests, they decided to do the first dance. Unfortunately this startled Tommy a bit and he went to his safe place and passionately sang a Wolfe Tones famine ballad. The groom was no dancer so they had gone for dance lessons and perfected a waltz. I am guessing that the dance teacher had never used a Wolfe Tones ballad in any of the classes. Queue the most awkward 8 minutes of his life.
    Usually other guests would get up to dance with them and save their blushes but it was a challenge that not even the bridemaids were willing to take on.
    For the punch line, after the 16 verses of starvation, potatoes, beatings and death, we decided it was a good time to bring out the evening sandwiches and cocktail sausages. Band arrived and brought it back on track. Poor auld groom was still shook 5 hours later in the residents bar as he begged for the videos of the first dance to be deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Ludikrus

A wedding I was at went off without a hitch and so did the reception. It was a really lovely upmarket hotel/lodge setup. Then, at about 5AM two guys smoking a spliff set off a fire alarm and the place had to be evacuated. Bride & groom, parents, everyone outside, half dressed and wrecked.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

ShyMets wrote: »
    100%. A friend of mine compares getting a wedding invite to getting a summons in the post

I've felt like that at times - once had 6 weddings in 9 weeks, 2 abroad - but what I'd do for a wedding invite now!

I've felt like that at times - once had 6 weddings in 9 weeks, 2 abroad - but what I'd do for a wedding invite now!

or like receiving an invoice. TBH it won't be long before we are attending more funerals than weddings in a year so enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Wasn't a guest at the wedding, but a few years ago we were staying in a large hotel where a wedding was on the same day. Bank holiday weekend and the wedding was the Saturday and they had also booked a day 2 for the Sunday with BBQ outside etc.

When we went for breakfast on the Sunday morning, there were groups in tears in the hotel reception, in the breakfast room etc.
    Turns out that overnight one of the guests had wandered out into the road on his way back to a B&B, and been killed by a passing car.

We'd our dinner booked in the hotel for that night, and some of the wedding guests who had planned to stay for the day 2 were still there. Really sombre mood in the hotel for the day

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

I've one, as is often the case, the bride and bridesmaid were sisters sitting on the top table. The best man happened to be going with the bridesmaid too. Father of the bride had passed away before the two boys even met the girls.
    Speeches kick off and the best man naturally paid tribute to the two girls deceased Dad "let's take a minute to remember Aoife and Deirdre's sadly deceased Dad, it's a great shame he never had the opportunity to meet the lads that broke in his two daughters!"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

I went to a wedding about 15 years ago. Groom was a bit of a lad. As part of his speech he asked all the ladies he'd shagged to drop up copies of keys to his front door to the top table. About 10 or so ladies stood up, went up kissed him on the cheek and handed him a door key. Groom ended up having an affair soon after they were married an they were separated soon after.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

Wow. Classy joke. And weren't the women even worse that they went along with it🙈🙈

• Registered Users Posts: 27,920 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Wow. Classy joke. And weren't the women even worse that they went along with it🙈🙈

And did the Groom end up back with one of them after the separation I wonder...

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    I went to a wedding about 15 years ago. Groom was a bit of a lad. As part of his speech he asked all the ladies he'd shagged to drop up copies of keys to his front door to the top table. About 10 or so ladies stood up, went up kissed him on the cheek and handed him a door key. Groom ended up having an affair soon after they were married an they were separated soon after.

What a wanker...

I must the only guy in the world that is not in contact with any exs...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,764 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    best of luck, perfect wedding in my eyes

Perfect funeral too... Less chance for bull****.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

That ‘joke’ turns my stomach.. really hideous thing to do in my opinion.

The best tactic is to get the speeches over and done with before the meal start.

At least then the speakers can actually enjoy the food and relax.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Still, mortified for him.. Imagine being a man bawling like that in front of a whole church. You'd look ridiculous. Take it on the chin and keep yourself together ffs.

Off-topic, but had to address this.

It's absolute nonsense, expecting men to just "take it on the chin and keep yourself together." Men experience emotions too, and I'd be more surprised if a groom who had been stood up on the day, just blankly accepted it. It's HEALTHY to express what you're feeling, especially in a horrible situation like that.

I think you might want to take a look at your aversion to male expressions of emotion, and stop stigmatising it for others.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭blackwhite

The best tactic is to get the speeches over and done with before the meal start.

At least then the speakers can actually enjoy the food and relax.

Also helps to keep the speeches shorter, as hotel will usually impose a time limit for the food

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭Mango Joe

I'm getting married next week, with a grand total of six guests. Fúcking delighted about it to be honest, even before reading this thread :-)

I don't know....... If this thread has taught us anything it is that it only takes a single guest to carry out each of the below wedding atrocities:
    1. Running off with the Bride leaving the Groom confused somewhere.
    2. Punch the Best Man/Groom/Bride.
    3. Shawshank poop the entire hotel.
    4. Make long racist and homophobic speeches.
    5. Father of Bride making it clear the wedding is a disaster.
    6. Bridesmaid who'll try and shag the Groom.

I've numbered them from 1-6 to make it easier for you to assess - If you're unsure I'd recommend favouring option no. 6.

* Only joking - congratulations to you both, I hope you've a really great day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,376 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

One way to ruin a wedding is to have multiple multiple people giving speeches. Groom, father in law , best man then sit the feck down.

Advertisement