Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ultimate Battle of South America

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

That's a cracking little flag for Santa Cruz. Nice blue background, cool mountains, bit of sun and sea. Makes me want to go there now actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Purgative

Tierra del Fuego every day of the week and twice on a chocolate sundae.

Its, unique, with unusual colours and an unusual design

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

I’m breaking with tradition and casting a vote in my own tournament. Santa Cruz is too busy. It’s trying to do too much. Also brown on a flag as well as two different shades of blue. Tierra del Fuego, on the other hand is doing more by doing less, nearly always a good shout when it comes to flags. Those particular shades of blue and orange are very good in unison and the albatross is majestic. The constellation gives it that local southern marker that’s needed yet it goes in seamlessly.

Vote Tierra del Fuego

• Registered Users Posts: 3,988 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Both of these are great. For me Tierra del Fuego is a step up on most of the competition here though.

Everything in it has meaning - the orange for fire (Fuego), the outline of the albatross is very clever and the sea/sky and stars/Southern cross are both meaningful to the region as well.

All included in a flag that is both nice to look at and simple to draw at the same time. It's excellent.

So Tierra del Fuego gets my vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,341 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Santa Cruz has a bit more going on so gets my vote

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,247 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Tierra del Fuego - the blue and orange look great together and brown should never appear on a flag. Ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭ari101

They are neighboring provinces and I have amazing memories of both.

I like the simple but inventive construction of TdF overall but the colour orange and I struggle to get on.

I'm going for Santa Cruz and thinking about... happy times hiking near Fitz Roy, visiting Perito Moreno, enjoying the fine local beers and a selection of great food and wine... sigh... I think I'm gonna have to go back some time :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭KathleenGrant

Santa Cruz
    The light blue represents the sky and the sun as an element of divinity that was and is for indigenous races. The rising sun is the symbol of dawn, of the youth of this province that contains the night, the southern cross, the Chaltén hill, emblems of the Aonikenk, the ancient race of these lands, in an inner semicircle.

Tierra del Fuego
    The flag is A diagonal bicolor of sky blue and orange with an albatross in the center and the Southern Cross in the fly.
    The orange section symbolizes the fire that gives the name and is a stylized representation of the contour of the Argentine sector of Tierra del Fuego, while the blue represents the sea that surrounds the island and the sky, through the Cross of the South, whose stars also represent the South Atlantic Islands claimed by Argentina. The albatross is part of the local fauna, and its flight represents freedom. The albatross is the symbol for Tierro del Fuego.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,875 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

I'll vote for Santa Cruz.
    I like the combination of mountains and sea.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SineadSpears

I dont like the seagull so Santa Cruz if i must please :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭ChannelNo5

Tierra del Fuego. i wasn't mad on this in the beginning but its really grown on me and more so since reading the explainer. i just like what it represents.

the blue and orange working together on TdF is a good point. i'm swayed a little..

Tierra del Fuego 4-0

We love the colours of the flag- the orange that gives the province its name (meaning land of fire) and the blue representing the expanse of sky and also the waters that surround it.
    The albatross is a beautiful way to break the colours but it has wonderful symbolism of its own- the albatross is very seldom seen ashore but can be seen here and it has hence become a symbol of the province. it is in flight signifying liberty.
    As said already the Southern Cross has special significance and is used on many flags in South America but here it is given pride of place as it represents the southern islands.

For those who say it has less going on, its simplicity adds to its beauty and it is not so busy as others.

For us this flag has majesty and we put it miles ahead of Santa Cruz.

I dont like the seagull so Santa Cruz if i must please :)
    the blue and orange working together on TdF is a good point. i'm swayed a little..

It’s a majestic albatross, not a seagull. Fuego means fire, hence the orange. Blue is the sea. The stars are the southern cross constellation. It’s really awesome!

Tierra is the business. Do it for your old pal Mack!

Omackeral wrote: »
    It’s a majestic albatross, not a seagull. Fuego means fire, hence the orange. Blue is the sea. The stars are the southern cross constellation. It’s really awesome!

I know it's not a seagull, that was my way of insulting it because birds like that are ugly. only eagles and owls are lovely :P

And your new best pal Kathleen.

Do it for your old pal Mack!

actually does this part mean you want me to change my vote!?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,270 ✭✭✭Barna77

Tierra del Fuego
    A Flag of Ice and Fire

Orange and blue work perfect there

actually does this part mean you want me to change my vote!?
    I don't think he asked that in fairness. You hinted you might be changing and he just nudged you to make up your mind.

I don't think he asked that in fairness. You hinted you might be changing and he just nudged you to make up your mind.

oh was that taken as me making a hint to change? :confused: oops.

no I was just saying how after readibg others saying how nice the blue and orange were together, that it was swaying me to like it more ..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,247 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I know it's not a seagull, that was my way of insulting it because birds like that are ugly. only eagles and owls are lovely :P

Surely you're not suggesting that Maribou Storks aren't lovely? :pac:

marabou-stork-facts.jpg

Zaph wrote: »
    Surely you're not suggesting that Maribou Storks aren't lovely? :pac:

that poor thing looks like it had hot tar thrown on it :o

Also called the undertaker bird as if the appearance was not attractive enough on its own.:)

I wonder is that bird were they got inspiration for your your one from The Witches (original) :pac:

I wonder is that bird were they got inspiration for your your one from The Witches (original) :pac:
    Quite possibly now that you say it.

I dont know how to post images but it's the image of her lol

• Registered Users Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Oh you gotta be, oh you gotta be

'Cause Santa Cruz
    You're not that far
    Oh Santa Cruz,
    No, you're not that far

🙈🙉🙊

Right folks it’s a tie after an hour. I’m gonna be unashamedly happy to announce that I’m putting my favourite through. But it’s not without merit. Sinead’s ability to question her choice was probably the deciding factor. Either way...

Tierra del Fuego advances to the Semi Finals

So we are down to the Final Four. The semi finals and final will all be run tomorrow night from around 7:30PM onwards. Would love to see everyone there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,017 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

that poor thing looks like it had hot tar thrown on it :o

And has a serious tumor on its back.

It's head reminds me of cartoon animals when they get blown up by acme dynamite and are left with no fur

Advertisement