Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ultimate Battle of South America

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭KathleenGrant

Sawduck wrote: »
    Exciting ending to a great tournament

Very exciting and very fitting.

Getting in on this action late .

Carabobo means something like Silly Face in Spanish.

Tierra del Fuego means Land of Fire.

PM sent.

Haha I checked Cara bobo means goofy face :D:D
    Still a fantastic flag.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,024 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Getting in on this action late .

Carabobo means something like Silly Face in Spanish.

Tierra del Fuego means Land of Fire.

PM sent.

Gracioso

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

This is how the votes went down in the 60 minute final;

JP Liz V1 opened the scoring for Carabobo. 1-0
    Kathleen Grant, Purgative and Reberetta shot back for Tierra fel Fuego. 3-1
    cdeb pulled one back for the Venezuelans. 3-2
    SineadSpears and Zaph voted for T del F then. 5-2
    Sawduck went with Carabobo. 5-3
    Cosmo Kramer voted Argentina. 6-3
    Then a late hat trick from all the numbers guys alchemist33,breezy1985 and Barna 77 made it 6-6.

That took it to over time.

The overtime votes went as followed;

ChannelNo5 - Carabobo
    Purgative - Tierra del Fuego
    mistersifter - Carabobo
    Cosmo Kramer -Tierra del Fuego
    JP Liz V1 - Carabobo
    Kathleen Grant - Tierra del Fuego
    Sinead Spears - Tierra del Fuego
    Sawduck - Carabobo

Meaning it's yet another draw.

Hold on while I figure this out.......

• Registered Users Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭Barna77

I'm happy regardless the winner.

But make it Carabobo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Joint winners maybe in the circumstances...?

Although how 50% of posters think that Carabobo flag is better is beyond me!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭Sawduck

Maybe we should allow Omackeral to break the tie

Some of the people voting Carabobo for best flag of the tournament wanted it gone in previous rounds..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

That would be appropriate actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭SineadSpears

It's your tournament and after the huge effort you have put into all of it, I think that's the gods way of telling you that you are aloud to cast the deciding winner yourself!

• Advertisement

I would be happy with that after all the work he put in.

ooh great minds!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭ari101

I was gonna say I was glad I missed it, because it's so hard to decide, these flags are both very good, but it is still on going...! I'm staying out of it :p May the best flag win ;)

Right folks... I've made my decision and it's not one I take lightly. We've gone from 256 flags right down to the last two standing. The final couldn't split them. Overtime couldn't split them. What I've done is taken my favorite two reasons for both and weighed them against each other. It's not ideal but it's either that or flip a coin.
    Carababo please. TdF is great too but the symbols on Carababo is just perfect - it has meaning, is not too detailed, and the colours are in pleasing proportions
    Zaph wrote:
    Tierra del Fuego - two magnificent flags, a very worthy final. But given how much I generally dislike orange as a colour, it takes a very special flag to make me forget that it's orange, and this is that flag. It goes brilliantly with the blue, and the stars are a nice touch, but the albatross is the icing on the cake. All round, it's just genius.

For me, it's Zaph's that just shades it.

So with that said....
    The Winner of the Ultimate Battle of South America is Tierra del Fuego

preview-74438-1vmUvWZly4_0000.jpg

so you mean me referencing a cartoon didn't twist your arm!? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Purgative

Great comp Mack and a worthy winner. I'm glad we didn't have to go to penalties.

Thanks for pulling it altogether.

A giant thank you to everyone who got involved and stayed with us. This was a big effort and made only worthwhile because of y'all. Really love doing these and have the next one selected already!

ah so it was Zaph who said those lovely words about the orange. it was what I was thinking too but couldnt articulate it like that.

those some winning words! well done.

and fair play to you too Omackeral for putting onthat show. some amount of effort put out there.

Congrats on another successful tournament :)

Yaaaay
    Delighted with the winner.
    Thanks a lot for this Omack. A massive commitment from you for this monster of a tournament.
    And now you have recruited 3 new fans. They are joining boards for the next one.
    (I'll have to be a good girl from now on eek!)

Special mention to our 100 Club for a century or more of posts, namely KathleenGrant, Purgative,
    Zaph, JP Liz V1, SineadSpears and Cosmo Kramer!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭Sawduck

Great job again mackers, brilliant winning flag too. This has been one of my favourite flag tournaments, so many gems I never knew existed until this. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with next

Great job again mackers, brilliant winning flag too. This has been one of my favourite flag tournaments, so many gems I never knew existed until this. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with next

It's drawn up and all already :p

We'll save it for May though.

I can't believe there can be much left.

So for Zaph and Mac, Orange is the new Black :p

A great tournie Mac

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Omackeral wrote: »
    Right folks... I've made my decision and it's not one I take lightly. We've gone from 256 flags right down to the last two standing. The final couldn't split them. Overtime couldn't split them. What I've done is taken my favorite two reasons for both and weighed them against each other. It's not ideal but it's either that or flip a coin.

For me, it's Zaph's that just shades it.

So with that said....
    The Winner of the Ultimate Battle of South America is Tierra del Fuego

preview-74438-1vmUvWZly4_0000.jpg

3bq0h9.png

Tierra del Fuego
    The flag has a white flying albatross, rendered in an abstract style facing the upper fly. Its wingspan stretches from the canton corner of the flag to the lower fly corner. The area of the flag above the albatross is blue, and the area below it is orange. In the centre of the blue area is a stylized version of Crux, the Southern Cross.
    The orange section symbolizes the fire that gives the state its name and is in the shape of the larger island, while the blue represents the sky and the sea that surrounds the island. The stars of the Southern Cross, which guided so many travellers through these regions, also symbolize the southern location of the islands and other territorial elements taht make up the province. The albatross is a symbol of Tierra del Fuego and its flight represents freedom.

Santa Catarina

In the central shield, the stars symbolize the municipalities of the state, the eagle represents the productive forces, the key symbolizes the strategic position of the state in the south, the anchor refers to the ocean that bathes the state, and the date 17 November 1889 is that of the adoption of the republican regime. The branches correspond to the coffee plant and the phrygian cap also symbolizes the republican regime. The phrygian cap also represents freedom and the pursuit of liberty.

A shout out also to Kathleen's informative posts and family's decisions, enjoyable ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

But great job again Mack and everyone who took part

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭ari101

Congrats TdF - I will walk with your penguins again :D

Props Omack, serious work in getting this together. I have a new found appreciation for the Brazilian flag, and learned lots... It's a pity my flag brain is like a seive or I might do better in the Peehs running :pac:

I'm not generally into traditional crested flags as much, and am very swayed by colour. There were a few I liked along the way (Durazno/Chubut/A navy one with a 4part crest I can't remember the name of :o, etc ) that really earned a place in my heart :)

I can't believe there can be much left.

Have 1 already drawn up and ready to go.
    Have 2 at the ''yeah, I reckon we can run those'' stage.
    One or two others at the back of my mind.

Oh and somewhere down the road we'll be holding the Ultimate Ultimate Battle, where every winner goes into a special tournament.

Have I said too much?!

• Advertisement

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    A shout out also to Kathleen's informative posts and family's decisions, enjoyable ;)

The Grant Jury. You love to see it.

Advertisement