Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So, what you playing at the mo? Retro Edition

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,229 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I've a bit of time to kill before the basketball is on :D

Tab4J2m.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 34,695 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Just reading about the production of Sonic 3 - did you guys know the white bit of Knuckle's chest is actually a Nike tick as they were going to have a tie in that didn't work out?

That's news to me!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,182 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    GTFO!

I'm still waiting on someone to tell me why kid chameleon is good. It just feels like a euro jank platformer and I don't get the love for it at all.

each to their own .
    I always liked it as there was a lot of difference between levels ,and the powerups change the way the game was played almost completely. I liked the art style and there's a lot of secret levels , I mean of the hundred or so in game I think about 20 or 30 were hidden.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,618 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

YoshiSays wrote: »
    And those those underwater levels...

Underwater levels/missions in any game should be outlawed and removed from games forever. I hate the jarring feeling of having my momentum completely removed when an underwater level starts. You're slow and inconsistent, you're less accurate with jumps, you're floaty, everything takes ages to do, and it's easy to get lost if it's more open-ended. Sonic's Labyrinth Zone is my least favourite level in any game ever created. It's stressful and confusing and it didn't need to exist. I hate underwater sections in games so fcking much.
    GTFO!

I'm still waiting on someone to tell me why kid chameleon is good. It just feels like a euro jank platformer and I don't get the love for it at all.

I remember really enjoying this game until about two years ago where I just felt the game was starting to become stale.

The thing that eventually killed my appeal and enthusiasm for that game is the fact it never seems to end, and all the levels get rather repetitive. I made a horrible attempt at beating that game and it just wasn't happening. My judgement was clouded by the fact I played 4 or 5 levels that were getting increasingly challenging but then it just felt samey.

Kid Chameleon is an unnecessarily long, shallow game game for its time.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,120 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I remember really enjoying this game until about two years ago where I just felt the game was starting to become stale.

The thing that eventually killed my appeal and enthusiasm for that game is the fact it never seems to end, and all the levels get rather repetitive. I made a horrible attempt at beating that game and it just wasn't happening. My judgement was clouded by the fact I played 4 or 5 levels that were getting increasingly challenging but then it just felt samey.

Kid Chameleon is an unnecessarily long, shallow game game for its time.

That's kind of how I felt. There's loads of secrets and stuff but it just has that western unstructured feel to it. I also made an attempt at it as well and just gave up as it was just so long and nothing felt like it was changing between levels to make it interesting. It's just a game that has never clicked with me. I'm interested in finding out what actually makes it click for people or if it's just nostalgia.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Underwater levels/missions in any game should be outlawed and removed from games forever. I hate the jarring feeling of having my momentum completely removed when an underwater level starts. You're slow and inconsistent, you're less accurate with jumps, you're floaty, everything takes ages to do, and it's easy to get lost if it's more open-ended. Sonic's Labyrinth Zone is my least favourite level in any game ever created. It's stressful and confusing and it didn't need to exist. I hate underwater sections in games so fcking much.

Ah Labyrinth Zone, that countdown sound used to stress me to no end.

In retrospect, there are air bubbles all over the place in Sonic games. Once you realise the chances of you running out of are actually really low, there's no stress at all.

Sonic 3 makes it even easier by giving you a bubble power up that makes you unable to drown.

I tell you what still stresses me out to this day though, wall chases!

Sonic 3 Hydrocity's wall chase - again it's not particularly difficult, just that sense of trying to get Sonic's momentum to stop long enough that you can stand still, do a spindash to get up a ramp before being crushed by a wall - the horror.

Master of the Universe

That's kind of how I felt. There's loads of secrets and stuff but it just has that western unstructured feel to it. I also made an attempt at it as well and just gave up as it was just so long and nothing felt like it was changing between levels to make it interesting. It's just a game that has never clicked with me. I'm interested in finding out what actually makes it click for people or if it's just nostalgia.

I've only ever played it for five minutes - your utter hatred over the years has completely turned me off giving it a proper go :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,567 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I feel like I have finally achieved the goal my time moderating A&R...
    In all the years my master plan was to rehabilitate Sonic 3 with you all...
    My work is done...

Now to spend the next 10 years getting you all to play Cold winter on the PS2....

Master of the Universe

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I feel like I have finally achieved the goal my time moderating A&R...
    In all the years my master plan was to rehabilitate Sonic 3 with you all...
    My work is done...

Now to spend the next 10 years getting you all to play Cold winter on the PS2....

:D

I've actually grown rather fond of it after that playthrough and now playing through again as Knuckles. It has a very different feel to the first two games but once you get over that, there's a lot of cool stuff going on.

Maybe we should have been listening to your recommendations after all, should I now pick up that copy of Fire Warrior?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,120 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I've always really liked sonic 3. Think it's a great game, it just doesn't live up to Sonic 2. I also think S&K is a big improvement on Sonic 3 and when they are combined it's a really great game.
    o1s1n wrote: »
    I've only ever played it for five minutes - your utter hatred over the years has completely turned me off giving it a proper go :D

I actually don't know if I'm missing something that will make it click or do I really just think it's a bad game. I'm not ready to call it crap but even playing it back in the 90's I didn't enjoy it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,567 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

While I enjoyed Firewarrior a lot, at the time, a recent attempt to play it again ended in sadness and broken memories...
    Avoid...

I am avoiding playing Metal Arms on the Xbox for similar reasons now, I really enjoyed it at the time, but that was 18 years ago!

Metal Arms is another game I don't get. Heard it described as a cute Halo. What I played was grand but did not stand out enough for me to play past the third stage. It's not bad, it certainly isn't Fire Warrior, I just didn't see what made it stand out from the likes of Ratchet and Clank (another serious I find highly overrated.... Maybe I think everything is overrated :eek:)

Cold Winter on the other hand I wouldn't call incredible either but as a PS2 shooter it's one of the better ones and still a blast even if it's long been surpassed by better games. I'd put it up there with Turok, another game I went back to out of curiosity and found it a hell of a lot of fun.

Finished 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim (incredible game btw and would recommend it to the snatcher fans here) so I'll be diving back into retro games from tonight. I'll keep plugging away at mischief makers but might go back to Ecco and take a break from megaman to finish off some Castlevania games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭YoshiSays

Yep, they are a PITA. I think BOTW does not have any underwater levels cause the team were probably exhausted trying to get link to move underwater after all those years.

Have you tried Rayman Legends ? Underwater levels are silky smooth and fun. There is even a level with a load of singing fish. Ori is also pretty good underwater once he gets his breathe under water ability. It can be as good.

Master of the Universe

Finished 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim (incredible game btw and would recommend it to the snatcher fans here) so I'll be diving back into retro games from tonight. I'll keep plugging away at mischief makers but might go back to Ecco and take a break from megaman to finish off some Castlevania games.

Had a quick look at a video review after reading that, all excited to try it out - not on any platform I own. Bugger!

But is it even a platform game if you can bitch about water levels and ice physics?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭YoshiSays

tropical freeze 2 please

• Registered Users Posts: 8,870 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Was sorting through a box of games and came across Soukyugurentai on the Saturn(Jap). Actually had no idea what it was until I started playing it :)
    The English language release was called Terra Diver.

Really nice vertical shmup and another one that the price is going up on. Looks amazing on a Sony PVM/BVM.

Nasty scanline free long play here:

Are you only discovering Souky now? The game is awesome. Amazing soundtrack as well. The third stage when you was flying through the clouds is one of my all time favourite shmup levels.

Master of the Universe

I only have two Sega ST-V carts, Diehard arcade and Souky, both worth owning the system for!

The cloud level is absolutely brilliant, from the music to the descent from above the atmosphere down to those jeeps on the ground.

I actually prefer it as a game to Radiant Silvergun. Havent played it in a good few years now, must dig it out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,870 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Are you only discovering Souky now? The game is awesome. Amazing soundtrack as well. The third stage when you was flying through the clouds is one of my all time favourite shmup levels.

No, I'd played it years ago but didn't recognise it from the artwork.
    Had to stick the disc in and then had the "oh yeah" moment :)

nHU8Z5p.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

YoshiSays wrote: »
    tropical freeze 2 please
    It must have gotten put on the backburner between Retro taking over Metroid Prime, porting TF to Switch and the long-rumoured secret project. Shame as DKCR and DK: TF have my vote as the best pair of 2D platformers going, would lap up more of the same.

Tropical Freeze...
    It's just Dark Souls with a texture refresh...
    So many needless deaths, so many of my own needless deaths.

Back into playing Mischief Makers. Again it makes me miss Treasure games.

Their games are always so mechanically focused. They build their games around mechanics that tend to be really strange and weird but loads of fun and very deep. And there's never anything else that plays like their games. And then they just build levels around crazy level design concepts.

Mischief Makers really has a Bangai-O feel to it were every level seems to have been slapped together in a homebrew editor and logic and story are thrown out the window in favour of making something that's fun and exciting. It's near nintendo levels where every level introduces some new idea which is then abandoned in the next level for something else that's bizarre and suprising. Saying that it's not as polished as the best mario games.

Most levels are pretty sort and easy but there's a bit of longevity added as there's a hidden yellow gem on each level to find and it also tasks you with getting a good A rank time in every level to get everything in the game. It's typical for N64 design at the time were so few games of note were released on the system that they had a lot of extra challenges and collectibles to add replayability. It really works here though.

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Tropical Freeze...
    It's just Dark Souls with a texture refresh...
    So many needless deaths, so many of my own needless deaths.
    You might just have gotten me to finally try Dark Souls.

Mr.Saturn wrote: »
    You might just have gotten me to finally try Dark Souls.

Why the hell haven't you yet!

Master of the Universe

I'll have to give Mischief Makers another go, tried it the day it arrived and it didn't click - there was something off about the jump mechanic (if I remember correctly you've to press up?)

It might be the hori mini pad I'm using. It's buttons are mapped a bit differently to an official pad due to the nature of the different layout, so it might just be that.

On a side point though, visually it looked absolutely gorgeous. The pixel art loading screen with all the portraits looks beautiful on a CRT, it's really weird to see that kind of art on an N64.

No, there's a jump button alright. You use the c-buttons then to dash in different directions. It's a tough game to get your head around which is why half the first world is a tutorial. The dash mechanics are weird as well as you have to alternate dashing up and to the side to dash while retaining as much height as possible.

Mischief makers is a game designed around the N64 pad, it's why I got a tribute 64 which is a hori mini rip off. It works for the game but it's not as nice to use as the original pad for this game.

Why the hell haven't you yet!
    Too busy playing Bopopolis. Obvs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭barryribs

I've just finished clearing out my gamecube collection, so going through my wii games now. Ended up playing about two hours of Donkey Kong Country Returns last night and decided that I'm going to hang onto them. The library has a few absolute gems amidst the mountains upon mountains of shovelware.

Going to try to finish Donkey Kong tonight and then its onto Punch out.

Advertisement