Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What anime are you watching or manga are you reading?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Evade wrote: »
    Hopefully now that streaming is more ubiquitous the sub won't be too after the JP home release, there's no chance of a cinema release here. If Funimation have lost the dub rights it's almost guaranteed there'll be a new cast and 1,2, and 3 will have to be redubbed too.

A Silent Voice is great it's one of my favourite films.

I'd say they'd have no issue using the Funimation cast, none of their voice actors are employees of Funimation, they are all independent contractors.

If it is getting recast expect it to be done by NYAV as both Gkids and Anime Limited normally commission them for dubs such as Mai Mai Miracle, Your Name, Weathering With You, Promare and A Silent Voice.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭Evade

I'd say they'd have no issue using the Funimation cast, none of their voice actors are employees of Funimation, they are all independent contractors.

If it is getting recast expect it to be done by NYAV as both Gkids and Anime Limited normally commission them for dubs such as Mai Mai Miracle, Your Name, Weathering With You, Promare and A Silent Voice.

It's more to do with who owns the rights to the dub script and audio. It's possible Funimation still retain those and if the new rights holders plan to release more blu rays or make it available on streaming it'll probably be cheaper to redo it.

It's more to do with who owns the rights to the dub script and audio. It's possible Funimation still retain those and if the new rights holders plan to release more blu rays or make it available on streaming it'll probably be cheaper to redo it.

They don't. Under modern licencing agreements the dub only remains the property of the licencee until the costs for the dub are recouped. After the costs have been recouped the dub becomes the property of the production committee.

The only time recently I've seen where a new series has been redubbed is Baki The Grappler. Netflix are looking for mad money to use the dub and they still retain the rights as they haven't recovered the costs yet.

They don't. Under modern licencing agreements the dub only remains the property of the licencee until the costs for the dub are recouped. After the costs have been recouped the dub becomes the property of the production committee.
    When did that start? Rebuild 1 came out a decade ago.

When did that start? Rebuild 1 came out a decade ago.

It's been that way for pretty much the entire dvd era.

It's only really mid nineties dubs and earlier that remain the property of the licencee. There are a few outliers though, of which iinm the Evangelion series is one.

All 3 rebuild movies are under the modern licencing agreements.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

Finished Evangelion.
    Er......:confused:

Barna77 wrote: »
    Finished Evangelion.
    Er......:confused:
    Did you watch End of Evangelion?

Did you watch End of Evangelion?
    Not yet.
    I need a break from all the shouting, god they are loud!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭Asus X540L

Hi Score Girl on Netflix.
    It's fantastic. Anyone who played videogames in the 90s should check it out.

I also finished the Pacific rim anime. It was surprisingly good

Not yet.
    I need a break from all the shouting, god they are loud!
    EoE might clear up a few things or it might make you more confused.

Don't read this until you've watched it
    how awesome was Asuka's last stand

• Advertisement

EoE might clear up a few things or it might make you more confused.

Don't read this until you've watched it
    how awesome was Asuka's last stand
    Yep, just watched it.
    As annoying as she can be, she's pretty badass.

Shinji just needs a good ride.

I read today an "explanation" for the overall plot, which helped to "understand" it. It could have been done in a more straightforward manner alright, but that would beat the purpose...

I see I wasn't the only one totally confused after watching the last two episodes.

I see I wasn't the only one totally confused after watching the last two episodes.
    I think everyone was. I watched it on TV in 2002/2003 with no idea there was a movie to cap it off, I was very confused and annoyed.

Relevant funny image I saw the other day. The first two or so times I saw this scene what Shinji was doing went right over my head.

2plyi82t05s51.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 17,856 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Junior decided I needed to watch the Titans one with him so we saw the first 7 episodes last night, its actually good.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

I found that bit with Folgen in this weeks Slime hilarious for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Cotts72

I found that bit with Folgen in this weeks Slime hilarious for some reason.

Same as, that while scene was gas! Slime is solidly delivering every week!

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭TTLF
    save the trouble and jazz it up

For some reason I went into "Tomozaki-kun bottom tier character" 's anime thinking it would be quite cringe in terms of weird "gamer" references after watching the atrocity that was "GAMERS!" back in 2018, but I have to say, I'm actually enjoying it a lot more than Horimiya and I've read Horimiya's manga! :pac:

Anime has many surprises.

Jobless Reincarnation is top tier atm tho.

Emilia pulling a Raphtalia this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,877 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I think now that the cour is finished, I'll have to go back and rewatch Re:Zero in a binge, I'm kinda lost as to what I should and shouldn't know about what happened/is happening!
    When Beatrice said to Roswaal "Are you... Roswaal?" I was, and still am, completely confused.

I think now that the cour is finished, I'll have to go back and rewatch Re:Zero in a binge, I'm kinda lost as to what I should and shouldn't know about what happened/is happening!
    When Beatrice said to Roswaal "Are you... Roswaal?" I was, and still am, completely confused.
    She is asking if he is the same Roswaal from when Echidna was alive.

I'll probably put Re:Zero in my list of things I watch before falling asleep and end up rewatching it a few times.

I didn't notice until i read it somewhere else that
    Subaru doesn't die at all in season two part two.

Something I always wondered why they left out of the anime, so far at least, is (small manga spoiler for something that took place in season one)
    Al, Priscilla's knight, is from Japan too. In the anime he noticeably reacts when Subaru says that Anastasia speaks like someone from Kansai but don't do anything else with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,921 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

With the talk of it, I'm rewatching Evangelion for the first time since seeing it on one of the UK channels all those years ago.
    On episode 4 now

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭TTLF
    save the trouble and jazz it up

CastorTroy wrote: »
    With the talk of it, I'm rewatching Evangelion for the first time since seeing it on one of the UK channels all those years ago.
    On episode 4 now

Man I swear I literally just finished it today.
    I am shook.

Why didn't I watch this so long ago, this felt like true writing, :D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,921 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

It's strange how we remember things. Like I was sure Asuka was in it from the beginning or at least the first couple episodes.

CastorTroy wrote: »
    It's strange how we remember things. Like I was sure Asuka was in it from the beginning or at least the first couple episodes.

I think it has to do with knowing she's a main character and typically in western shows that would mean she's there from episode one. I like how some anime introduce the characters over the course of a few episodes.

I watched the first episode of Joran the Princess of Snow and Blood, it was pretty good. I like the art style, it almost looks like something really high budget from the 80s or 90s at times, and the story seems like it could be interesting.

No more Non Non Byori and Yuru Camp is gone until the movie in 2022. I hope there's another relaxing slice of life this season.

Going down memory lane again, I'm watching Dragon Ball Super. So happy it brings back the old silly humour.

Also, Dragon Quest. The Adventure of Dai (remake). Ah I loved the 1991 series. I'm pretty sure I had the manga too.

On my waiting list, Rurouni Kenshin. I never finished the series when it was on back in the 90s

Lord, I'm feeling old :(

• Registered Users Posts: 13,877 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

So the season finale of World Trigger was a bit of a let down. Nothing really happened.

My easy slice of life is sorted with Let's Make a Cup Too - girls in a pottery club.

There's two sports anime that had good first episodes, Farewell my Dear Cramer - girls playing soccer and Burning Kabaddi - boys playing kabaddi (which I found out wasn't something made up in Chio's School Road).

Those Snow White Notes had a good first episode too.

Slime was good I hope it keeps focus on the side characters.

Shaping up to be pretty good this season.

Shaman King is in Netflix limbo, I hope they're not going to keep it there until all 50 episodes are out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

My easy slice of life is sorted with Let's Make a Cup Too - girls in a pottery club.

There's two sports anime that had good first episodes, Farewell my Dear Cramer - girls playing soccer and Burning Kabaddi - boys playing kabaddi (which I found out wasn't something made up in Chio's School Road).

Those Snow White Notes had a good first episode too.

Slime was good I hope it keeps focus on the side characters.

Shaping up to be pretty good this season.

Shaman King is in Netflix limbo, I hope they're not going to keep it there until all 50 episodes are out.

Yeah I spotted Lets Make on Crunchy yesterday and gave it a whirl, seems fun enough.

Cant take kabaddi seriously after Chio's either, it just looks like a ludicrous "sport".

Still looking forward to Iruma S2, ZombieLand S2, To Your Eternity, Nagatoro and there's probably some more coming soon I've forgotten.

• Advertisement

Gunmonkey wrote: »
    ZombieLand S2
    40 hours until more Saki.

Advertisement