Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good calving cameras / security cameras

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭pms7

I was recommended the DS-2DE4225IW-DE. £305 inc VAT.

Alongside that one I notice an external microphone is required. Audio makes the system much better so I'll not be installing without it.

The Hikvision DS-2DE4225IW-DE is a 2MP PTZ camera with a 4.8mm - 120mm lens that allows optical zooming up to 25x. This camera has infra-red LEDs that are effective up to 100m and also works in ultra low light environments by using a range of image enhancing features: wide dynamic range (WDR), highlight/back light compensation (HLC/BLC), 3D digital noise reduction technology (3D DNR) and electronic image stabilization (EIS).

The DS-2DE4225IW-DE is suitable for external applications with IP66 rated weatherproof housing and the option to connect external microphones or speakers. It is also fitted with a range of smart features to further improve security such as motion detection, intrusion detection, line crossing detection and object removal detection.
    • Full HD 1080P real-time video
    • 25X optical zoom, 16X digital zoom
    • 4.8 - 120mm
    • Up to 100 IR distance
    • IP66
    • H.265+ compression
    • 3D intelligent positioning
    • 120dBWDR
    • True day / night
    • Hi-PoE (18W) / 12VDC
    • Comes with DS-1603ZJ bracket

TBH - doesn't seem to be much difference between them - although yours has a higher max resolution.
    That is the camera I have with 2 years. Can't fault it, night vision is super, even at a distance zoomed in. Better than leaving lights on, b+w obviously.
    I got external mic for it €60. It doesn't have SD card slot.
    Hikvision phone App is fair, has presets, but must use on screen button to move ptz, rather than swiping across screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭cjpm

pms7 wrote: »
    That is the camera I have with 2 years. Can't fault it, night vision is super, even at a distance zoomed in. Better than leaving lights on, b+w obviously.
    I got external mic for it €60. It doesn't have SD card slot.
    Hikvision phone App is fair, has presets, but must use on screen button to move ptz, rather than swiping across screen.

PMS - I've a Hikvision system too but failed to get a mic set up with it.

Could you let me know what mic you bought and how did you set it up?

cjpm wrote: »
    PMS - I've a Hikvision system too but failed to get a mic set up with it.

Could you let me know what mic you bought and how did you set it up?

Got it all from CCTV Direct.ie, I just asked for a mic, it's just plugged into the mic jack, no issue getting it working

• Registered Users Posts: 4,768 ✭✭✭squinn2912

If anyone doubted the potential saving a camera can make for you!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭AntrimGlens

Got my camera installed on friday, great job checking the ewes again from the leaba. Into work today in the office and go to check everything is fine in the shed and the camera says it's offline. The guy that installed it now tells me he thinks I need an NVR to get remote access. Would that be right?
    Can the IP address not just be changed to allow remote access? My knowledge of IT/techy stuff is limited as you can tell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,124 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

You should not need a NVR.

Try method 2 defined in this link - it might be a variation on the theme, but should still apply:

https://www.securitywholesalers.com.au/wp-content/uploads/Hik-Connect-How-to-enable-Hik-Connect-remote-access-on-HIK-devices-NVRs-DVRs-Cameras.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 6,006 ✭✭✭emaherx

Got my camera installed on friday, great job checking the ewes again from the leaba. Into work today in the office and go to check everything is fine in the shed and the camera says it's offline. The guy that installed it now tells me he thinks I need an NVR to get remote access. Would that be right?
    Can the IP address not just be changed to allow remote access? My knowledge of IT/techy stuff is limited as you can tell.

Surely if you paid someone to set it up for you they should be able to help you out.

Depends on the make / model, but most modern systems have a P2P or cloud, option, should be just a case of creating an account and switching the service on.

If no P2P/cloud option then you need to setup port forwarding on your router. And if your ISP dose not provide you a static IP you need to either request one or sign up for a dynamic DNS service.

But the P2P option is by far the easiest option, let us know the make/model of the IP cameras and I can have a look if you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭RobinBanks

Do you know if you have a static IP? if you can view cameras from home on your local network it might be as simple as you are not using the correct IP address to remote into camera

emaherx wrote: »
    Surely if you paid someone to set it up for you they should be able to help you out.

Depends on the make / model, but most modern systems have a P2P or cloud, option, should be just a case of creating an account and switching the service on.

If no P2P/cloud option then you need to setup port forwarding on your router. And if your ISP dose not provide you a static IP you need to either request one or sign up for a dynamic DNS service.

But the P2P option is by far the easiest option, let us know the make/model of the IP cameras and I can have a look if you like.

Thanks emaherx. Its a Hikvision 4MP DS-2DE4425IWDE 25xIR camera. The guy that installed it is coming back tonight to look so it will be useful to be able to tell him this. He installed 2 P2Ps, one on our satellite dish pole at the house where the previous one was and on outside the shed. Shed is only 30m from the house, with uninterrupted line of sight.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

I got a camera for exactly the same reason. My father is elderly, the farm is 20 miles away. So I installed a camera 2 years ago.

Now I have 28 cameras, motion activated alarms, smartplugs and smart flood lights..

All I am missing is tripwires and explosives.

I choose to use WiFi cameras. Theyre not as good as POE cameras but more flexible when spread over a large area imo.

This is my latest addition. Motion alert, floodlight and camera..all 3 can be remotely controlled. It's in a machinery shed.

Each additional camera costs me less than 50 quid.

We haven't lost a calf in 2 years.

For me it's important to be able to manage and maintain my own system. If one is waiting on a professional, its not much use if it goes down on a Friday evening and can't any one out to fix it. Which usually costs lots of $$$

Lots of teething problems and learning but hugely worth it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭timple23

I have similar problem. Two cameras are connected to a 4g router box, every one in a while they will both say offline and it's remedied by simply pulling out the plug and putting it back in. Might happen once in a month or 6 weeks. One camera is Hikvision, the other is a cheap wifi one. Any idea what causes it? Have a gsm socket ordered to overcome this.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

timple23 wrote: »
    I have similar problem. Two cameras are connected to a 4g router box, every one in a while they will both say offline and it's remedied by simply pulling out the plug and putting it back in. Might happen once in a month or 6 weeks. One camera is Hikvision, the other is a cheap wifi one. Any idea what causes it? Have a gsm socket ordered to overcome this.

I have that too.

Usually poor connection but not always

Buy 2 Wifiplugs or Sonoff plugs.

Problem solved. I always install a WiFi plug per 2 or 3 cameras for this very reason.

If I have power outage or drop in signal the odd occasion the camera fails to come back.

Power cycle usually solves it

Thanks emaherx. Its a Hikvision 4MP DS-2DE4425IWDE 25xIR camera. The guy that installed it is coming back tonight to look so it will be useful to be able to tell him this. He installed 2 P2Ps, one on our satellite dish pole at the house where the previous one was and on outside the shed. Shed is only 30m from the house, with uninterrupted line of sight.

The P2P in this case is a cloud protocol for remote viewing and nothing to do with your point to point wireless bridge.

The Hikvision instructions are provided in a link above by funkey_monkey. Should be straight forward with no need for static IPs, port forwarding or any dynamic DNS service.

You should not need a NVR.

Try method 2 defined in this link - it might be a variation on the theme, but should still apply:

https://www.securitywholesalers.com.au/wp-content/uploads/Hik-Connect-How-to-enable-Hik-Connect-remote-access-on-HIK-devices-NVRs-DVRs-Cameras.pdf

Have same problem since new router this year, checked settings as on link above, mine is exact same - Hikvision, not working though..

Have same problem since new router this year, checked settings as on link above, mine is exact same - Hikvision, not working though..

Maybe yours was setup using port forwarding method. P2P only requires an internet connection and wouldn't be effected by changing router.

Port forwarding on the other hand needs to be setup on the router which would explain why changing router would block access.

Of course I'm assuming you can still connect while on the local network?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,713 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

I put in an IP Foscam camera here in 2013, complete with 2 Nanostations to send the internet to the shed. It worked incredibly well, given that the camera was a cheap indoor one.

This year though, I plugged out one of the nanostations in the shed to move the bracket out a little to make way for a piece of sheeting. Can't get anything to work now.

I kept all my notes from 2013 too. I have all the IP addresses and tried ping them but no reply. i think it may be corrosion on the connections.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

When you say you can get nothing to work is that both the nanostations and the camera or just the unplugged nanostation?
    Are any indicator lights illuminated on your nanostation?
    Can you get some contact cleaner or does wiggling the connections gently produce any sort of connectivity? Looks like you may need to put on new connectors. Putting the plugs onto Cat5e cable is a bollox even with the right tools - definitely need them and the tester too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,713 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

When you say you can get nothing to work is that both the nanostations and the camera or just the unplugged nanostation?
    Are any indicator lights illuminated on your nanostation?
    Can you get some contact cleaner or does wiggling the connections gently produce any sort of connectivity? Looks like you may need to put on new connectors. Putting the plugs onto Cat5e cable is a bollox even with the right tools - definitely need them and the tester too.

I plugged the home nanostation in and out last night and the lights came on, at least all except the last one on the right. That was after hours of messing with ip addresses. Still can't talk to the home one though.

I had switch cleaner here but its empty. Must get some.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

Ordered the Reolink 4g model thanks to this thread, cheers. Setup easily and good coverage. However, my Dad is having problems intermittently logging in to view on iphone and chromepad. I'm disregarding the chromepad for the moment as I only set it up at the weekend as backup and he's 70 so could have been doing something wrong but there was definitely something weird on saturday with the iphone app and I had to reinstall it to get working. Any time I try on my oneplus 5 android I have no issue logging in so I'm kind of stumped. Noticed an update today on android, maybe might address the issue but would appreciate anyone who had similar experience. many thanks.

Maybe yours was setup using port forwarding method. P2P only requires an internet connection and wouldn't be effected by changing router.

Port forwarding on the other hand needs to be setup on the router which would explain why changing router would block access.

Of course I'm assuming you can still connect while on the local network?

No, wasn't port forwarded.
    Yes ok on LAN
    DDNS not set up in app, does this matter?
    Thanks

• Advertisement

The P2P in this case is a cloud protocol for remote viewing and nothing to do with your point to point wireless bridge.

The Hikvision instructions are provided in a link above by funkey_monkey. Should be straight forward with no need for static IPs, port forwarding or any dynamic DNS service.

Got sorted last night lads, fairly straighforward IP issue, so all good again. thanks for your help.

No, wasn't port forwarded.
    Yes ok on LAN
    DDNS not set up in app, does this matter?
    Thanks

No DDNS not needed unless you want to use the port forwarding method and don't have a static IP.

The system just needs an internet connection for P2P to work.

The only thing I can think of is an issue with your network settings possibly the DNS or default gateway settings (since it works locally but not remotely). Do you know if it is setup with DHCP? Or static settings?

What mic's are folk using with their IP cameras?

Specc'ing up what I need here. Looks like I'm going for same camera as AntrimGlens got.
    Need to get some conduit, external Cat5e and some power lines to get a connection into attic. Going for a fully wired system as the shed is close to the house and there already is a large conduit linking the two.

Was planning on getting a homeplug with POE and passthrough. Wire directly into router. Other end in attic with direct feed from the camera (that camera is 12 VDC, PoE (802.3at)). Distance is well within the 100m limit of 802.3at.
    Yet to source a suitable homeplug so this might change

AntrimGlens - can 20mm conduit be mated to the bracket supplied with the camera?

Was planning on getting a homeplug with POE and passthrough. Wire directly into router. Other end in attic with direct feed from the camera (that camera is 12 VDC, PoE (802.3at)). Distance is well within the 100m limit of 802.3at.
    Yet to source a suitable homeplug so this might change

I've seen POE home plugs alright, but have not seen any with mains pass through. I'd be reluctant enough to use home plugs at all as they are a bit hit and miss for reliability, depending on the wiring in your house. But I assume running the network cable to the attic is a difficult task?

If you go that route watch that the power output of the POE Home plug is sufficient for your PTZ camera. Personally If I had to use a home Plug I'd use normal TP link's and a separate POE injector Possibly even put the injector in the shed if there is a near by socket.

You say that camera is 12 VDC, PoE (802.3at)??
    PoE (802.3at) is 44V-57V so I'd assume the camera can be directly powered by 12V or using PoE (802.3at)?

I assume running the network cable to the attic is a difficult task?
    Yes, it would be. The only thing there is near to the router is a a double socket. However, that is in use and I see no neat way to get a cable into the attic - tacking it up the wall is not an option. Plus that area has only recently been redecorated.
    Only other option is to put a WiFi receiver into the attic, but I had thought that a wired option would be a more stable setup.

You say that camera is 12 VDC, PoE (802.3at)??
    PoE (802.3at) is 44V-57V so I'd assume the camera can be directly powered by 12V or using PoE (802.3at)?

Yes.

Only other option is to put a WiFi receiver into the attic, but I had thought that a wired option would be a more stable setup.

I've often found WiFi to be much more stable than home plugs. The wiring in your house was not installed with the intention of carrying data so is not the same as having a propper wired ethernet connection.

They never work anywhere near the advertised speed and dropouts are not uncommon but they can work fairly well in some houses and next to useless in others. If the 2 sockets are on the same ring main then that would help.

I done a speed test using my mobile in the attic and the results were:
    Ping: 22ms

Download: 38.65Mbps
    - Stability: 98%
    - Tx'ed data: 45.41MB

Upload: 9.91Mbps
    - Stability: 98%
    - Tx'ed data: 12.31MB

I've checked the consumer unit and the socket in attic is on same ring main as the socket beside router - only 2 socket circuits - must be kitchen/utility and then everything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone with all the advice on the thread, setup my cameras for remote viewing this evening with a few tips from ye.

Camera has now been ordered - at long last :)
    Opted for same as Antrim Glens as there was little difference in spec between it and the one I was recommended.

Only problem was they did not have an external microphone for it. So I now need to get one of them. Any recommendations or what to look out for in their specs?

Will have to suffice with a home plug to get internet from the router in house to the entry point for the cable from shed. Looking into them at the minute.

• Advertisement

I can see now why most people get an installer to do this. :D
    I was planning on running the cabling out of the house via a duct across yard into the shed - which would have been very handy. However, just realised that I can't do this as the ducting already contains the power for the shed - armoured cabling.

For anyone wondering why - there are two main risks with running data cabling and power cabling alongside with insufficient separation - induced voltages and data corruption. Data corruption is minor - lost packets of data requiring re-transmission. Induced voltages is the one I'd be worried about as it can fry the end device.
    I was hoping to using some shielded network cabling but I've not got any confirmation - plus as its against code...

So, looks like I'll be installing a wireless bridge. To save me having to research up on them, what ones are folk here using and I'll get one of them. I'd presume it would be a Ubiquiti item?

Advertisement