Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway traffic

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

serfboard wrote: »
    Can I ask where/how you got this map?

go to: http://map.geohive.ie/

zoom in on Galway, in the Data Catalogue select:
    • Aerial Premium
    • Historical map 25"

Vary the transparency of the layers until you get the outcome you want.

For example here is Salthill village, note the location of the carparks that flood whenever there is a storm, they are located on land reclaimed back in 60's and 70's

salthill-geohive.png

• Registered Users Posts: 25,753 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Thats mostly Mrs OBumble nonsense right there in one sentence. People on bikes need far less space for everything, where is the evidence for your ROTR nonsensical statement.
    I say you home town living experience has distorted your perspective - doubt its in Ireland or Europe. Somewhere in car centric USA/Canada?

Nope. Australasia - not saying exactly where.

But after I left, they experimented with bus only lanes in certain streets, and had a series of very nasty accidents involving pedestrians stepping out without thinking.

Unlike many, I've been using public transport extensively since i was a kid. We didn't even have a car (only a family-unfriendly work van) when I was younger.

GN4_DAT_10165328.jpg--call_for_additional__compact__motorbike_spaces_in_limerick.jpg

[etc]

Very droll.

This is a collage of a few photos I've taken around Galway city since Christmas

547133.jpg

The most interesting is the set of family bicycles outside the former Duffys. They really illustrate the challenge of cycle parkiing: between the clip-on kiddie-bike and the cargo trailer, they need more than just racks. To park them takes about the same space as to park a car. And there is NO allocated space for them anywhere.

The motor cycles in Eyre Square are a pretty regular thing - sometimes they appear to be having a rally to show off their wheels, other times, solo ones have no allocated parking. Again, no allocated space, but they at lease choose a footpath with plenty of alternatives for pedestrians.

The woman who rode My Little Pony to right outside the AIB was really quite a sight to behold: at least she had all the right safety gear on, and went fairly slowly through the pedestrianised street. But I have no idea why she thought it was ok for her to be there in the first place.

And the person who sprawled right over the footpath in Eglinton St is just an a**hole. The road is blocked off. S/he could SO easily have parked on the other side of the pole, and let the pedestrians use the footpath. It ain't rocket science - and is similar to what I see elsewhere in the city pretty often.

And the person who sprawled right over the footpath in Eglinton St is just an a**hole. The road is blocked off. S/he could SO easily have parked on the other side of the pole, and let the pedestrians use the footpath. It ain't rocket science - and is similar to what I see elsewhere in the city pretty often.

Yup, no excuse for that type of parking

I will say this though, there is supposed to be bike parking between the path and those bollards that they added as a "covid mobility measure". No idea when you took your picture and I have been into Galway city since before Xmas, but I'm guessing there's still no bike parking there. If there was, that bike user wouldn't have parked there as a sheffield stand is way easier to lock a bike to than a single pole

The most interesting is the set of family bicycles outside the former Duffys. They really illustrate the challenge of cycle parkiing: between the clip-on kiddie-bike and the cargo trailer, they need more than just racks. To park them takes about the same space as to park a car. And there is NO allocated space for them anywhere.

There certainly needs to be some thought given to cargo bikes parking, especially around shopping destinations.

A typical family of bikes doesn't take as much space as a typical family car though. Also the space required scales more closely with the number of people. A family of 5 in a car takes the same space to park as the same car with 1 occupant. 10 spaces could cater for 50 people or just 10... from observing traffic in Galway you can expect that average to be closer to 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,890 ✭✭✭what_traffic

This is a collage of a few photos I've taken around Galway city since Christmas

Your collage while interesting, is just that - a collage of photos taken over a number of months. There is no context when these photos were taken. A proper survey of 1h/2h on a certain day - then document ALL the "infractions" you see in a certain area of City Centre that would paint a genuine picture.
    That gives at least context to what is been shown.
    What your collage does show - there is lack of provision for pedal bike parking on every City Street(i.e a street that has P&D car parking), Cargo Bike parking and motorbike parking are non-existent.

• Advertisement

Mr's B will be happy to see the school streets initiative has led to a massive increase in the numbers cycling to Scoil Iognaid. So much so that the council have had to install additional bike parking stands

https://twitter.com/kevigi/status/1371394640327368707?s=20

I'm looking forward to seeing this roll out to other schools around the city

• Registered Users Posts: 17,885 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

What are we supposed to be seeing thats so bad in that collage anyway? The little truck? Blocking access to that tree? Is it supposed to be a "bikes are just as bad" type thing? Swap out cars for any of the vehicles in the pics and the argument collapses slightly, apart from the little truck obviously.

Mr's B will be happy to see the school streets initiative has led to a massive increase in the numbers cycling to Scoil Iognaid. So much so that the council have had to install additional bike parking stands

https://twitter.com/kevigi/status/1371394640327368707?s=20

Delighted that they've got proper parking.

Interested that the usage-restriction is "pedal cycles only" - meaning no scooters and no battery-assisted two-wheelers. The latter are a fast-growing category, as the line between bicycle and motorbike is blurring more and more.

But I guess that since it's an all-Irish-language school, instructions in English can just be ignored always.

Thargor wrote: »
    What are we supposed to be seeing thats so bad in that collage anyway? The little truck? Blocking access to that tree? Is it supposed to be a "bikes are just as bad" type thing? Swap out cars for any of the vehicles in the pics and the argument collapses slightly, apart from the little truck obviously.

It's a response to a set of photos that someone else posted. Their was sarcastic: I interpreted it as saying that two-wheelers aren't an issue here. Mine illustrates that there are issues:
    The rise of three-wheel delivery vehicles (my guess: we'll see more of these)
    Increasing use of two-wheelers leading to increasing cases of the footpath being blocked by them.
    Pure stupidity in the way some cyclists and bikers park (they're as bad as some car-drivers)
    Long-standing lack of motorcycle parking
    The rise of bicycle-based food delivery services and the challenges these workers face in accessing restaurants quickly, while keeping their vehicles secure.

I'm not going to try quantifying these: the council pay researches for things like that. Simply pointing out the issues and that we need to plan for all modes, not pretend that some don't exist or that some are perfectly behaved.

It's a response to a set of photos that someone else posted. Their was sarcastic: I interpreted it as saying that two-wheelers aren't an issue here.

Your interpretation was way off - it was in response to your ongoing bizarre approach of defining different modes by the number of wheels.

What are pedestrians? No-wheelers?

Interested that the usage-restriction is "pedal cycles only" - meaning no scooters and no battery-assisted two-wheelers.

If you're taking about ebikes here, they are pedal cycles. They're required to be pedal assist and the electric motor power is limited.

Here's some scooter parking that's going in in Dublin. It's a wonderfully efficient form of parking. Hopefully we'll see more of that rolled out here, especially when electric scooters are legislated for.

https://twitter.com/robertburns73/status/1364661395200081926?s=19

• Advertisement

So much so that the council have had to install additional bike parking stands

Great example of induced demand;

https://twitter.com/D12BikeBus/status/1371825368701751302?s=19

Great example of induced demand;
    I know the Bikebus do scooter counts as well, not sure if walking count are done though.

Saw this recently - the future of bikes around Galway shouldn't middle aged men in lycra on carbon fiber bikes, battling with motorists on their morning commute.

It should be parents doing the school run and people commuting to/from town and getting their shopping. Electric bikes make this much more (physically) accessible.

The cycle to work scheme should be turned on its head too. A person in middle management gets a bigger discount on their road bike (~50%) than a full time parent on their cargo bike (0%) or a low income employee (~30%).

https://twitter.com/righttobikeit/status/1373684411842068480?s=19

It should be parents doing the school run and people commuting to/from town and getting their shopping. Electric bikes make this much more (physically) accessible.

The cycle to work scheme should be turned on its head too.

Agree, its a bit of smoke screen - its gets a lot of PR coverage but the cost of it to the state is practically nothing. I would flip it so that just have no VAT on all kids/teenagers bikes instead. Make the lightweight kids bikes more affordable and in time create a decent second hand fleet market in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,349 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Saw this recently - the future of bikes around Galway shouldn't middle aged men in lycra on carbon fiber bikes, battling with motorists on their morning commute.

The cycle to work scheme should be turned on its head too. A person in middle management gets a bigger discount on their road bike (~50%) than a full time parent on their cargo bike (0%) or a low income employee (~30%).

https://twitter.com/righttobikeit/status/1373684411842068480?s=19
    That's a good idea. Getting to the jobs I had in my late teens and 20's wouldn't have been possible without a bike. No chance in hell I would have been able to afford a car and a bus would have cut into my profits :D. Bikes can get you a surprising distance with virtually no cost
    I'm sure I'm not the only one with that experience.

GY A1 wrote: »
    Any funding for the county ?

The funding for rural projects was announced today

Full list here

Galway County Council €6,193,000

548582.jpg

548583.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭GY A1

Nice to see this funding
    But
    Half of what the city got for the full county,
    A fraction for a massive area ,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Nice to see this funding
    But

How does that compare to other counties with large urban areas, like Cork, Limerick etc? Similar split or did the rural areas get a larger proportion?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭GY A1

How does that compare to other counties with large urban areas, like Cork, Limerick etc? Similar split or did the rural areas get a larger proportion?

A few of the nominated major cities got the big funding a few weeks ago ,
    Dublin cork Waterford limerick and Galway

Nice to see this funding
    But

A massive low-density area. You get better bang for the buck by spending in areas where density is higher.

Also, many people living in the county come to or through the city for work, study or healthcare. They will benefit while they're here.

• Advertisement

Nice to see this funding
    But

Overall need vast investment in both City and County for active travel, I would not be even comparing them against each other. Compare against budgets that have been spent on roads to date.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,872 ✭✭✭View

The funding for rural projects was announced today

Full list here

Galway County Council €6,193,000

548582.jpg

548583.jpg

The package appears to be heavily biased in favour of footpaths. The default should be for shared foot/cycle paths (where physically possible).

If a road is busy enough that it needs a footpath to keep cars away from pedestrians for safety, then it’s almost invariably busy enough that it needs a cycle path to keep cars away from cyclists.

View wrote: »
    The package appears to be heavily biased in favour of footpaths. The default should be for shared foot/cycle paths (where physically possible).

If a road is busy enough that it needs a footpath to keep cars away from pedestrians for safety, then it’s almost invariably busy enough that it needs a cycle path to keep cars away from cyclists.

And what will keep the two-wheelers away from the pedestrians?

I'm in favour of grade separated paths, but it needs to be for all three modes, not just two. Shared footpaths are a nightmare for all concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,872 ✭✭✭View

I'm in favour of grade separated paths, but it needs to be for all three modes, not just two. Shared footpaths are a nightmare for all concerned.

Shared cycle/foot paths usually work well provided both sets of people take a modicum of care (and the overall path area is wide enough).

Separate (or separated) cycle and foot paths are of course better but that just won’t be possible in many places.

I’d much rather have a default of shared foot and cycle paths than the current default which is to have no cycle path in any form.

I don't think you'll find many to argue against that.
    View wrote: »
    Shared cycle/foot paths usually work well provided both sets of people take a modicum of care (and the overall path area is wide enough).

Separate (or separated) cycle and foot paths are of course better but that just won’t be possible in many places.

I’d much rather have a default of shared foot and cycle paths than the current default which is to have no cycle path in any form.

They are possible everywhere if less priority is given to motor vehicles

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭serfboard

Can anyone confirm that works on the Menlo roundabout are due to commence shortly?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Laviski

Can anyone confirm that works on the Menlo roundabout are due to commence shortly?

work has been on going for ages already.
    i think the correct question is when is the roundabout ready to be removed. i dunno, doesn't look ready for that to happen for another few weeks at best.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭serfboard

Laviski wrote: »
    i think the correct question is when is the roundabout ready to be removed
    Can anyone confirm that works on to remove the Menlo roundabout are due to commence shortly?
    Does that help? Now, do you have an answer? :p

Well they're due to be completed by the end of September...
    https://galwaybayfm.ie/galway-bay-fm-news-desk/works-on-kirwan-roundabout-set-to-reach-completion-in-third-quarter/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,725 ✭✭✭✭zell12

September 2023?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement