Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mens Rights Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,876 ✭✭✭iptba

The role of young masculinities in men's violence against women
    Updated / Tuesday, 16 Mar 2021 16:02
    https://www.rte.ie/brainstorm/2021/0316/1204312-young-men-masculinities-violence-against-women/

On the RTE website which we all have to pay for through our TV licence.
    Also, as well as any embedded links in the text, has also 5 boxes with links to other what look like feminist-oriented broadcast coverage from RTE.

Discusses "hegemonic masculinity". I remember reading a full paper discussing it in a paper on masculinities and one of the examples given was a father playing sports with his children. Certainly, there may be some fathers who are overly forceful in their promotion of sports to their kids, but they shouldn’t all be dismissed. I know in my case sports, both team and individual, were very good to me. All the exercise was certainly good physically and most likely mentally as well. I was a bright kid, but this gave me an outlet to mix with others, widen my social circle, etc.

I’m not sure feminists should be telling growing boys and men how they should be for the benefit of other women. If it was the reverse scenario, I’m not sure the same people would be happy with men’s rights activists (say) educating girls and women on how they should be for the benefit of men.

Men also lose out because of the physical and/or sexual violence of men. For example, as well as any violence that men inflict on men, it can also mean people are wary of men.

For example, if a car broke down or some similar scenario, a lot of people would probably be less likely to help a man than a woman.

People can also be more likely to think a man rather than a woman is sexually dangerous.

It's not like we really benefit from other men's physical and/or sexual violence.

Over half of Irish women avoid public transport after dark
    Women feel vulnerable to harassment and assault travelling alone, report states
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/over-half-of-irish-women-avoid-public-transport-after-dark-1.4513132
    Large numbers of Irish women fear for their safety using public transport, cycling or walking alone, according to a report from State transport body Transport Infrastructure Ireland (TII).

More than half of women said they would not use public transport after dark due to safety concerns, with one-third saying “feelings of insecurity” had prevented them from travelling at all, research commissioned by TII has found.

The Travelling in a Woman’s Shoes report found women felt “heavily responsible” for their own safety when travelling and there was “little focus” in society generally on the role men can play in ensuring their safety.

The research, mainly conducted last year after the beginning of the Covid-19 pandemic, comprised of online or phone interviews with 1,000 women and men, in addition to “in-home” interviews with a cross-section of women. It found fears around using buses and trains or other sustainable transport modes were limiting women’s choices and perpetuating “car culture”.
    So they don't give the figures for men; I imagine some men are also nervous.

"The Travelling in a Woman’s Shoes report found women felt “heavily responsible” for their own safety when travelling and there was “little focus” in society generally on the role men can play in ensuring their safety."

I don't get it. We have been told many times that women don't need our protection. The whole decline of men being Gentlemen was as a result of women saying that they were independent and didn't need help. In fact, I've seen various articles/opinion pieces over the years, that suggested that men shouldn't step in to protect women, and their doing so was a sign of toxic masculinity.. as opposed to any virtuous desire to help others. When men do step in to help women, they risk harm to themselves, and also, creating a possible enemy for the future, but the focus tends to a negative slant on men stepping in at all.

And now, we're supposed to be helping women, and keeping them safe? Um, when was this decided, and does that mean all the other things they said about male behavior is less important now?

This is the problem with western society at the moment when it comes to the perspective of women. They want everything and nothing. Without any strings. Without any responsibility. They seem to think that the world will magically become safe and perfect, just because they're now free to do whatever they want.

FFS... every person should be responsible for their own safety. God knows, men don't expect strangers to step in to help them, and if anything, expect strangers to help their opponent most of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,202 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

"The Travelling in a Woman’s Shoes report found women felt “heavily responsible” for their own safety when travelling and there was “little focus” in society generally on the role men can play in ensuring their safety."

I don't get it. We have been told many times that women don't need our protection. The whole decline of men being Gentlemen was as a result of women saying that they were independent and didn't need help. In fact, I've seen various articles/opinion pieces over the years, that suggested that men shouldn't step in to protect women, and their doing so was a sign of toxic masculinity.. as opposed to any virtuous desire to help others. When men do step in to help women, they risk harm to themselves, and also, creating a possible enemy for the future, but the focus tends to a negative slant on men stepping in at all.

And now, we're supposed to be helping women, and keeping them safe? Um, when was this decided, and does that mean all the other things they said about male behavior is less important now?

This is the problem with western society at the moment when it comes to the perspective of women. They want everything and nothing. Without any strings. Without any responsibility. They seem to think that the world will magically become safe and perfect, just because they're now free to do whatever they want.

FFS... every person should be responsible for their own safety. God knows, men don't expect strangers to step in to help them, and if anything, expect strangers to help their opponent most of the time.

Did you ever hear the expression parents have for their kids..."boys will wreck your house, girls will wreck your head"...the kids are supposed to grow out of it though...the whole movement is infantile. We are strong independent but we are afraid to leave our houses...

• Advertisement

Did you ever hear the expression parents have for their kids..."boys will wreck your house, girls will wreck your head"...the kids are supposed to grow out of it though...the whole movement is infantile. We are strong independent but we are afraid to leave our houses...

It's not just that though. There's an active campaign to paint men as aggressive, dangerous, untrustworthy, etc. So, when they're not claiming that men should help make their environments safer, they're attacking the whole male gender with their claims of harassment, and such.

It's like how the new hate speech bill in the UK (I think it was the UK anyway) will now include sexism. So, someone claims that you're sexist and you can be done under the hate legislation. Does anyone really think it's going to stop there? There will be further campaigns to pinhole "men" as being dangerous...

It's absolutely retarded. Talk about shooting yourself in the foot. I'd seriously hesitate now about interfering in a female strangers trouble, whereas when I was a teenager, I wouldn't have hesitated. This is the world that feminism, and those advocating, have created.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,507 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

It's not just that though. There's an active campaign to paint men as aggressive, dangerous, untrustworthy, etc. So, when they're not claiming that men should help make their environments safer, they're attacking the whole male gender with their claims of harassment, and such.

It's like how the new hate speech bill in the UK (I think it was the UK anyway) will now include sexism. So, someone claims that you're sexist and you can be done under the hate legislation. Does anyone really think it's going to stop there? There will be further campaigns to pinhole "men" as being dangerous...

It's absolutely retarded. Talk about shooting yourself in the foot. I'd seriously hesitate now about interfering in a female strangers trouble, whereas when I was a teenager, I wouldn't have hesitated. This is the world that feminism, and those advocating, have created.

not sexist. misogany. only hate towards women is being included.

not sexist. misogany. only hate towards women is being included.

Ahh well... considering how much the term misogyny is being thrown around these days, I wouldn't be surprised to have sexism towards women as being counted as misogyny. It was the twitter message on the other thread that had me linking them.

https://twitter.com/SadiqKhan/status/1372258572734717954

Misogyny will now be recorded as a hate crime with police asked to identify whether offences are motivated by 'hostility based on sex'
    Police will now record whether a violent crime was motivated by the victim's sex
    Comes in light of death of Sarah Everard and calls for action on women's safety
    Baroness Kennedy of Cradley, warned of 'epidemic of violence' against women
    Sue Fish, who was chief constable of Nottinghamshire until her retirement, claimed there was a ‘toxic culture of sexism’ in significant parts of policing

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9373871/Misogyny-recorded-hate-crime-government-concession.html

It looks like it only refers to violent crimes so not as bad perhaps as the tweet suggests.

Pay-walled Irish Times article. I haven't posted or read some of these, such as what looked like a sermon from Fintan O'Toole.
    Men need to stop trying to be our allies and just listen this time

Finn McRedmond: Fear of male violence did not begin with tragedy of Sarah Everard’s murder
    https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/men-need-to-stop-trying-to-be-our-allies-and-just-listen-this-time-1.4512990

While this article will be there forever, the comments will disappear soon, so I thought I would share some:
    While the Sarah Everard case is obviously appalling, there is a real hierarchy of victimhood here. This dreadful murder has been kept in the media spotlight because the victim is one to whom women journalists working in the UK's national media can relate. She is deemed to be "one of us, one of our sort of people."

Murder victims have always impacted more upon the public consciousness if they are pretty and photogenic; particularly if they are blonde. There are reams of research on this.

In the Everard case, when you look at the outpouring of articles by female journalists in the UK's national media about how "It could have been me," the identification with this victim is because she was white, solidly middle-class, professional, a graduate and - crucially - living in London.

For all the feminist posturing, the national media journalists writing about this case would have had no interest whatsoever if the murder had taken place in Doncaster, Derry or Dunfermline.

Plain-looking, working-class black girls who leave school at 15 and are murdered in Leeds or Bradford are local news stories for perhaps 24 hours, before being quickly forgotten. They don't get candlelit vigils or opinion pieces in the Irish Times.

The national media sisterhood has no interest in such young women, because they are not "our type of gal".

And now? Many feminists see their big mission in life as being to control men and boys. They believe that men and boys - collectively - are a 'problem' to be 'fixed' by women on women's terms.

Feminists now hope the Everard case is going to be the George Floyd moment for gender politics, the point at which rationality gives way to Twitter-inspired hysteria and nobody dares to refuse them anything.

They are certainly not our 'allies' and men should not be theirs.
    Men are listening. We are listening to women in the media telling us day after day that we are collectively guilty. We are listening to women in the media and online telling us that men and boys are a 'problem' and are to be viewed as actual or potential killers and rapists simply by virtue of our sex.

We have listened and we get it.

I live in a rural area. Out on my daily walks, I used to say good morning to anybody, male or female, that passed me. But I have listened and, having had my woke moment and realised that men are to be collectively viewed as potential killers and rapists, I now walk past any women that I meet but do not know personally without speaking, making eye contact or in any way acknowledging their presence.

And you know what? When men and boys stop speaking to women and girls whom they do not know personally, journalists such as this one and feminists on Twitter will then claim that they are being 'victimised' and 'punished' by men no longer engaging with them in exactly the same way that they claimed they were being 'punished' when men stopped having one-on-one meetings with women in the workplace for fear of being the object of accusations.

This is the world that feminists want and when we have a de facto system of gender apartheid in place, with men and women, girls and boys sharing the same spaces but being too frightened to engage with one another, I sincerely hope that it makes them happy.

I'm afraid I'm with @Freedom of Speech on this. The balance of perception has shifted. All men are seen as potential rapists and murderers. While walking on my own I would never greet a female stranger. I might do so if walking with my (female) partner and the females acknowledged each other's existence. And any contact with children is totally verboten - again, unless my partner is with me.
    "Allies"?

Telling men and boys that we are to be collectively viewed as potential murderers and rapists simply by virtue of the sex that we were born seems a rather unlikely way of making allies.
    Our society has a problem with violence. Once you define it as gender based violence are you being selective in your approach? Are saying that the 20% of victims, male, that report sexual violence to the Gardai are not in the same league as female victims? What of the 60% of all victims that report physical violence to the Gardai. They happen to be male. Does not not matter? How about we leave gender aside and listen to all of the victims?
    As someone else alluded to, in another feminist Twitter storm a man accompanying a woman to her door would be considered patronising and patriarchal. There is no winning for anyone male or female in these “debates” even though that’s the wrong term as it’s really just people shouting at each other.
    Men and boys are the last remaining group that the liberal media deems it acceptable - even progressive - to accuse of collective guilt.

Try accusing any other group in society of collective guilt - or even responsibility - for anything and you will be barred from commenting.

But tar men and boys with the brush of collective guilt and shame and you are more likely to be offered a weekly opinion column on the Guardian or Irish Times.
    I'll post some more in the next comment.

• Advertisement

(Continued)
    I demand all good women step up and own the murders committed by Catherine Nevin and the Scissor Sisters. Come on ladies you could do more, #tryHarderLadies..................see how stupid that sounds.............
    Hi, I have never left a comment on any Newspaper before. I'm a very reasonable (and left wing) man and I am genuinely shocked at the level of uninformed sexism that has become commonplace regarding the male gender. The lack of nuance or wisdom reminds me of how men treated women for centuries. It is very sad that the debate has become so desperately uninformed and hypocritical. I have been listening to women, helping them, and trying to protect them my whole life, because that is how my mother and father raised me. So have many men. Articles such as these will only further any possible chasm that may exist. It will feed the alt right and their stupid worldview. To speak about all men being responsible for rape and murder is nonsensical, uncritical, biased, sexist, uninformed and downright bigoted. I am not annoyed that women are speaking up. Quite right. There is too much make violence and abuse of women. But sooner or later common sense must prevail. Broad sweeping comments about gender, ethnicity, race, class, age etc are never ever a true representation of a broad social group.
    Every London murder is a sad reflection on London society and reflects terribly on the culture of a city that claims to be at the forefront of progressive inclusion and diversity but has become a cesspit of abuse and death.

But why wasn't there so much media focus, and demands for tough action, and huge coverage of young attractive white women protesting at the murders of the previous 20 people killed in London since 1 Jan 2021?

- Was it that many were Black or Asian?

- Was it that most had foreign heritages (including one O'Donnell!)?

- Was it because nearly all were men (17 of the 20)

- Or was it just that this was the only young attractive white woman killed?

https://www.murdermap.co.uk/statistics/london-murders-2021-latest-total/
    Imagine in the wake of the September 11th attacks that the Irish Times published articles with the headlines:

"Good Muslims need to act like they're part of the problem"

"Muslims need to be scandalised, appalled and outraged by terrorist violence"

"Muslims need to stop being our allies and just listen this time"

Can't imagine that? They've run these headlines in the last week with Muslims replaced by Men. If it's wrong to generalise and denigrate a group of people based on their religion, then it's equally wrong to do so based on gender.
    The phrase “gender-based violence” is used as another stick to beat men. It is never defined in relation to violence against men.

Gender-based violence against women is defined as violence against a woman because she is a woman or which affects women disproportionately. How can anyone be sure of the first condition whether it is male on female or female on female? But the great majority of street assaults and homicides are committed against men so this should be called gender-based according to the second condition. Yet it never is.

This is just more feminist ideology which has been taken up by state agencies like Tusla and Cosc and the Dept of Justice .and copied by a gormless media.
    Of course I understand that. But you seem to think that men should just shut up and accept uncritically that they are all to blame as a group for the actions of a few. Would you find that acceptable if it was applied to gays? Or Travellers?

If men decline to accept that, it does not mean they are unsympathetic to the feelings or experiences of women.
    I would say violence, abuse and psychological abuse suffered by men in homes is way more prevalent than is made out because it almost never gets reported to anyone.

I was listening to the ex-state pathologist today speaking on the radio and she made a good point that was relevant to the discussion. Men remain silent and bottle up feelings, which in turn effects their long-term mental health. This could be one of the reasons as to why men are more violent because they bottle it up which can become explosive. So instead of blaming all men, we need to focus on men suffering with their mental health, or being abused by their partner. Men need to speak out more and seek help with their mental health. This in turn should reduce violence against women. Women need to listen to this, understand it, and own it. Stop abusing your partners. Just because he is physically strong does not mean the same inside. If you abuse your partner, your partner might take it out on someone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,202 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

Imposing collective guilt on an entire gender is grotesque...and infantile, but to make a comment on an Irish Times story you have to be subscriber I believe...these people need to stop paying them money...broadsheets in particular depend on men...if they want to descend into this identity politics rabbit hole, let them off...and if women want to pay the Irish Times to be whipped into hysterics on daily basis, good luck to them!

Joyce Fegan: Will we learn anything from Caroline Flack's death?
    People need to realise that online actions have real-world consequences
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/opinion/commentanalysis/arid-40247591.html

Makes a gender/feminist issue out of online abuse.

These 2 links highlight some data on the issue:
    https://twitter.com/cathyyoung63/status/1038632265272705025?lang=en
    Regarding online harassment
    http://www.fighting4fair.com/uncategorized/regarding-online-harassment/

Parental alienation: Some days you wake up and think: 'It's like a living bereavement'
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40245476.html

A gender neutral article, but I thought it might be of interest to some people here.

One in seven men will experience relationship violence in their lifetime, politicians hear

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/one-in-seven-men-will-experience-relationship-violence-in-their-lifetime-politicians-hear-40231025.html
    However 95pc of these offences are not reported to gardaí, said Kathrina Bentley, chief executive of Men’s Aid.

Last year a total of 5,500 men contacted the group to seek support, she said.

Ms Bentley said “13 brave men” had alleged rape in 2020, 11 by a female partner, and 2 by a male partner.

A man in his fifties, a father, had reported an allegation of rape within marriage and had reported it to the gardaí who were now investigating, she added.

An 18-year-old man also contacted the agency by email from a local library because his phone was seized and examined by an abusive mother and sister, she claimed.

Irish legislation does not recognise that a man can be raped by a female, she said, referring to an offence of FTP, or forced to penetrate. Legislation must be changed to enable prosecutions in incidents of rape of a man by either a man or woman.

Helen McEntee interview on misogyny, Seamus Woulfe, Gardaí receiving vaccines and becoming Fine Gael leader
    The Justice Minister will step aside for six months' maternity leave but is seen as a future leader of Fine Gael

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/helen-mcentee-interview-on-misogyny-seamus-woulfe-gardai-receiving-vaccines-and-becoming-fine-gael-leader-40247320.html
    On Friday she convened a short meeting of stakeholders to discuss what more might be done to make women feel safer as they go about their daily lives.

"Sometimes you feel that the attitude is still what can the woman do, when can she take herself out in an environment, why was she there, what time was it, was she on her own? We need to get away from that type of attitude, but also what can men do to help women feel safe," McEntee says.

She believes boys at primary school should be taught about what is acceptable behaviour towards girls and women. "It's about respecting women, it's about understanding how your actions can impact on a woman," she says. "Do men sometimes even realise that their actions are causing a woman to feel unsafe or to feel insecure? And I mean that's not necessarily something that they intend to do. So I think it's about creating that awareness from a much earlier age."

After Easter she will bring forward draft hate crime legislation that will include a provision making gender-based violence an aggravating factor.

This will mean, for example, a sexual assault or harassment aggravated by prejudice against a woman (or a man) will be a different and more serious offence to ordinary assault or harassment. It will be classified as a hate crime which could potentially carry a heavier custodial sentence and impact on any future Parole Board hearing. The effect, McEntee argues, will be the same as if misogyny were classed a hate crime - something campaigners in the UK have been calling for in recent weeks - while protecting freedom of speech.

"Where you have a particular crime that takes place, whether it's an assault or harassment, you can have an aggravated factor based on gender, which will do the same thing and we're sure it will do the same thing as identifying misogyny specifically. So that will be an aggravating factor and that could be taken into account in a crime," she says.

Campaigners are impressed by McEntee's commitment and focus on the issue but stress it requires long-term focus. "There isn't any sort of simple solution, we need structural change," said O'Connor.

‘Why would you forgive someone who stole the timeless beauty of your childhood?’ – Gareth O’Callaghan reveals horrific abuse he suffered
    The former DJ tells Barry Egan about the horrific abuse he suffered as a child, battling depression, his diagnosis with a fatal condition, and the healing power of love

https://www.independent.ie/life/why-would-you-forgive-someone-whostole-the-timeless-beauty-of-your-childhood-gareth-ocallaghan-reveals-horrific-abuse-he-suffered-40242597.html

Among other things, he discusses being abused as a child by a Christian Brother.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

iptba wrote: »

It is always frustrating when people like that like to vilify boys/men for their behaviour and how it impacts women.

I mean, would not make sense to do teach children about misbehaviour towards each other.

How many girls/women mistreat other girls/women? Let alone girls mistreating boys etc and how it affects their confidence/mental illness etc

Dear Mary: How can I help my brother have his rightful access to his children?

My brother’s wife has a new man and she has engaged the court system to have my brother removed from the family home.

They have three small children. My brother is a good father and boys need their father. In the absence of a court ruling at present, as the wheels of this system grind so slowly, she has completely frozen my brother out of all the decision-making in relation to his sons. How, in the absence of a court ruling, can this happen? My brother seems to have no redress. I fear for his mental health. He is beside himself.

As a result of all of this ,we are a deeply troubled family. How can we help?

https://www.independent.ie/style/sex-relationships/dear-mary-how-can-i-help-my-brother-have-his-rightfulaccess-to-his-children-40233797.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭99nsr125

• Advertisement

Boys need to receive a more gentle message if we want them to one day become good men
    Kathy Donaghy
    https://www.independent.ie/opinion/comment/boys-need-to-receive-a-more-gentle-message-if-we-want-them-to-one-day-become-good-men-40240978.html
    We’re all familiar with the little sayings. ‘Man up’, ‘be brave’, ‘don’t cry’, ‘be strong’. They’re just some of the things we say to boys when they’re hurting. For all our sakes, and especially for the young women who feel afraid walking home at night, it’s time to change the message.

As a mother of two boys, the thoughts of my sons harassing another person is enough to keep me awake at night. No mother ever wants to imagine that her son will go out into the world and harass and hurt a woman. But ask a woman and the stories come thick and fast.

I didn't find this as annoying as some pieces on the topic. But it still seems weird that boys would be raised mainly with other people's interests (i.e. females) in mind, rather than for their own benefit; I think if it was the reverse, with a big/central focus on raising girls for the benefit of males, there would be a lot more of a pushback.

A little bit in both directions could of course be justified.

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭SnuggyBear

I was in a shop there and they were dogging men on 2fm. Nice to hear that when your doing a bit of shopping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭TanookiMario

I also don't really get it.
    When travelling or just when out and about how vigilant are men even required to be?

Should men always be scoping out every woman on the street making sure that her day is going as smoothly as possible?

If a man sees some pick up artist trying to chat to a woman should he step in and stop that interaction?

What if a homeless person is asking her for change? Leave it be?

I wonder if it would be a good idea to do something like pay people to, I don't know, police our society. This "police" could keep people safe and they'd even know how to deal with all kinds of situations appropriately.

It could be a like a career with training and a salary and maybe even a uniform and so on. Then we just have those people out there keeping the streets safe.

Should men be expected to play real life white knight for strange women with no pay and no thanks? It could be quite dangerous in some situations.

All Party Parliamentary Group for Men and Boys (in UK)
    http://empathygap.uk/?p=3641

Also
    https://equi-law.uk/appg-menboys/

I don't think we have such similar groups in the Oireachtas? Though I do know that there is an caucus just for women.

There is a good chance it is nothing, though I have heard it said before that sometimes there can be an imbalance when "people"/similar is used rather than women/female or men/male in news coverage.

I was listing to the Newstalk news at midnight and they said 3 women had escaped from Covid-19 quarantine in Dublin but were sent back from Galway.

On the 1 AM news on RTE, it was reported as 3 "people".

Article in the Irish Times
    Telling men to open up is not enough – teach them how

Unthinkable: We can all learn from psychotherapy, perhaps the best place to start is school
    https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/telling-men-to-open-up-is-not-enough-teach-them-how-1.4526283
    Starting a sentence with “I” is discouraged at school, it’s frowned upon in journalism and, when followed by an expression of feeling, it’s traditionally problematic for men. I am making amends today, however, having learnt from psychotherapy how avoidance of the first-person singular can be used to interpose distance between ourselves and our troubled reality.
    The messaging for men seems particularly problematic. The “strong, silent type” is still revered, and it remains much more difficult to get men to talk about their feelings. How can we make progress on that?
    “Fritz Perls observed that we often distance ourselves by saying ‘you know how it is...’ or ‘you know how you feel bad...’ when really what I mean is ‘when I am in this situation I feel bad...’ Modern neuroscience has shown that when we use words like ‘I’ rather than ‘you’, when we use personal language, patterns of activity are entirely different in the brain. We are making ourselves more accessible to ourselves and therefore to other people.
    “We’re told men should feel more comfortable with their emotions or talking about their emotions, but how? Men do not automatically have an understanding of how it might be achieved. Thinking about how you use language, about the specifics, can be very instructive and very helpful. And I think it is the sort of thing that would make a very good syllabus in schools so that young men can be equipped to deal with their emotions.”

Some comments which will disappear in a few days
    Always interesting to hear from psychotherapists. Being aware of the use of language and the impact on oneself and others is very useful. It is unfortunate that this then drifts into the assumption that there is a problem with men, which is a current "narrative". That men don't express their emotions is seen as a problem. Is it? Stoic, brave, strong, reserved, logical, capable, innovative, entrepreneurial to name some qualities that men often display. Let's like and admire men and stop seeing them as a problem, shall we?

Good article, much of which I agree with. Having spent some time as an adult experiencing talking therapy with a very good therapist, I can testify that perhaps one of the best benefits for me was allowing me to see events and my reactions to them more objectively, letting me deal with them more clearly and positively with respect to making healthy life decisions.

The time came when I felt that I needed the therapy less than I needed to use the time for other aspects of my life but I’m ever grateful for the positives it provided for me.

The truth is that life can often be challenging. I’d rather have a good tool kit than a rather strained (and certainly unrealistic) belief that life should always treat me better than it does.

The Effect of Fatherlessness on Children (2018 but still relevant)
    http://empathygap.uk/?p=2594
    Long

A judge has dismissed a prosecution against a father who was accused of breaching a safety order by sending a birthday card and a €20 note inside the card to his 12-year-old daughter.

At Ennis District Court, Judge Patrick Durcan stated that “the case should not have been brought” against the 35-year-old Co Clare man.

Dismissing the charge brought under the Domestic Violence Act against the man, Judge Durcan stated: “I mean, if we have reached a stage in our society where a man is deemed to have breached a safety order by sending
    a birthday card to his daughter…”

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/judge-dismisses-case-against-man-for-sending-birthday-card-to-daughter-40296238.html

https://twitter.com/andrewdarcysols/status/1380900173648384005

iptba wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/thornaido1/status/1380812221136171010

I saw one or more comments suggesting the woman might be on free legal aid, which certainly wouldn't surprise me in a case like this. While the man might have to pay legal fees or alternatively risk it by not having representation.

• Advertisement

David McWilliams: A female-led economy is coming – and it will be better

Those with money shape society. An economy with women on top will be different
    https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/david-mcwilliams-a-female-led-economy-is-coming-and-it-will-be-better-1.4532235

Pay-walled article where no negative attributes are given to women, but some are to men

Some comments underneath that will disappear in the next few days:
    “ extreme machoness, a male unwillingness to doubt one’s own decisions and ultimately a fine example of what psychologists call the Dunning-Kruger effect – whereby the truly incompetent, fuelled by their own self-regard, overestimate their competence with disastrous results.”

Would McWilliams or any other public commentator dare speak in such a way about women, gays, blacks, etc? It seems misandry is the socially acceptable bigotry of our times.
    I think this is a terrible article, does everything have to be about bashing men? This article makes two stupid assumptions, 1 that there is some secret group of men in the economy who will be really angry if their wives start earning more money for the family and 2. That women are some how more morally upstanding than men, less inclined to power greed and corruption, Both are completely false. This article is utter rubbish. Lagarde .......didn’t she get convicted of something .........Quit the polarisation David.
    An economy with more successful women will be one that spends more healthcare, education and insurance"

And on vacuous airhead dumbing-down-society stuff like royalty, celebrity culture, and really-not-reality tv? Not forgetting all sorts of fast fashion and environmentally destructive consumerism because it looks nice?

Or, are we only allowed one set of ridiculous generalisations about a gender?
    "By the 1980s, it was well noted that girls in developed countries did better than boys in school; by the 1990s, they were outperforming in universities"

It never ceases to amaze me how this fact is always glossed over in society. Just IMAGINE if the sexes were swapped. It would be decried as institutional misogyny.

More likely it has to do with a mix of societal and biological issues, and how the structures we've set tend to favour females more in terms of education.

I'd love to see more research done on this, because at the moment it seems journalists just say "welp, boys are idiots, so *shrug*".

I mean, it could be the reason, who knows? Let's try and find out!
    I really wouldn’t be expecting some kind of utopia just because you might have a female leader in charge. In the past 5 years the first female presidents of both Brazil and South Korea were impeached for major corruption. Think about that. The first ones in the door in those countries and at it right away. Others like Theresa May would hardly fill you with confidence. She wanted to deport everybody from Britain apart from her other shortcomings. Christine laggard at the IMF who David has described himself as the biggest bluffer in in the financial/political world. Let’s face it, women are way off the pace when it comes to the school subjects that really matter, the STEM subjects and males are far more likely to go into trades etc which women almost exclusively don’t. Either way I think you will find the exact same behaviour when it comes being in positions of power whether it be men or women. Would it still have collapsed if it was called Lehman sisters? Probably. Greed does that.
    (continued)

Advertisement