Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish family appeal mandatory quarantine..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭calgary bound

They have inter connecting rooms!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,355 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

sporina wrote: »
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/irish-family-shocked-by-appalling-conditions-in-hotel-quarantine-1.4522076

Think its v tough - shame they can't just go to their home and quarantine there.. 5 in a room for 2 weeks.. v tough

Photo only shows one room.

Do they just have the one room, or is the photo giving a false picture of things?

Do they have no cupboards or left luggage room to out their luggage in?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

Might be whataboutery, but I have no sympathy for the family.

The homeless families living in hotel rooms for months on end, or the people in direct provision who are in worse conditions don't get a word in. Just Ryan Tubridy giving sweet, meaningless sound bites when Christmas time comes around.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,759 ✭✭✭sporina

They have inter connecting rooms!

awe none the less.. still v tough.. seems OTT..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,481 ✭✭✭SteM

Jeez, they're really making the worst of their situation. Apparently they have to lay their suitcases on the ground to get their stuff out. Why don't they unpack their stuff into the wardrobes?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,060 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Photo only shows one room.

Do they just have the one room, or is the photo giving a false picture of things?

Do they have no cupboards or left luggage room to out their luggage in?

They have two adjoining rooms

• Registered Users Posts: 3,497 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Been good enough for direct provision and homeless families for months and even years, shes doing 2 weeks ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,388 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Some people really have no experience of the world do they if they think this is appalling.

Have they been living under a rock in Australia or something and what they have been doing with incoming travellers.

Negative levels of sympathy here.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,388 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Is it too late to deport these whingers back to Australia?
    You know, where they could enjoy quarantine all over again...

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,060 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/irish-family-shocked-by-appalling-conditions-in-hotel-quarantine-1.4522076

Think its v tough - shame they can't just go to their home and quarantine there.. v tough

They flew through Dubai . Why ? They could have taken a different route

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Think its v tough - shame they can't just go to their home and quarantine there.. v tough

Is it any tougher than all the old folk stuck in their homes for 12 months?

Give it a rest.

Big scoop on the Sunday World tomorrow that, apparently now, they are suffering with 32" tellies. Maybe even 28.

Someone needs to lose their job over this.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,355 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    They have two adjoining rooms

That's what I thought, photo they gave sent out is making things worse than they are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭.anon.

funnydoggy wrote: »
    Might be whataboutery, but I have no sympathy for the family.

It's not like they were on holiday, so I have sympathy for them. But still - it's twelve days in a hotel room. Not a pleasant twelve days, but hardly the end of the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭volchitsa

awe none the less.. still v tough.. seems OTT..

OTT in the middle of a pandemic after a year of people being locked down and old people unable to see their grandchildren? Seriously??

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭maxsmum

I wonder if anyone here has children. Can you imagine it? And I don't think there are direct flights from Australia or New Zealand to Dublin. So you're all being harsh in my opinion.

"She described their interconnecting hotel rooms as “absolutely tiny. You can walk around the beds if the suitcases aren’t lying on the ground, but we have to lie them down to get our stuff out."

Not one jot of sympathy, you're not on the breadline shuffling in and out of transient accommodation. Totally disconnected from harsh realities facing many in Ireland, unpack your suitcases and cop on to yourselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,481 ✭✭✭SteM

maxsmum wrote: »
    I wonder if anyone here has children. Can you imagine it? And I don't think there are direct flights from Australia or New Zealand to Dublin. So you're all being harsh in my opinion.

I know my 70 year old mother has a son that lives 35km away from her that has seen him once in a year, on St. Stephen's day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭h2005

What's the story if they were traveling the other way?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

Coming from Australia they should be very familiar with the quarantines, I've seen Australian quarantine photos and they were in hotel rooms too. It's not a great thing to experience and I'd hate to have to go through it, but that's why Australia is free of Covid and we are not...

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭Jimi H

It’s a couple of weeks. I understand what they’re saying but just get on with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Yes I do have children. The children here are not toddlers. They are old enough that its not really that big of a deal.

Should there be special rules for people with children?

Of course we do. My son has basically spent a year out of school because of people who are too selfish to respect the sort of self isolation rules that would allow us not to enforce quarantine rules legally. Rules that countries like Australia (the place these people have been living) have been applying almost since the beginning - which is why their kid are at school and ours havent been.

The more I think about this selfish woman the angrier I get. you think someone like that would have respected the previous self quarantining rules that travellers were asked to follow? Of course she wouldn't. Too harsh on her darling children who have been at school all year, unlike mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,432 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

They have two interconnecting rooms.

She conviniently only filmed one (which I'm going to guess is the smaller of the two), which just happened to have all their food, luggage and children in it at the time :rolleyes:

Also, they (five of them) flew via the United Arab Emirates, which has over 50,000 new cases in the past month, would be classified as riddled alright. Probably best to quarantine someone travelling from there in the interests of Irish public health.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/united-arab-emirates/

No excuses for ignorance.

https://www.dfa.ie/irish-embassy/uae/news-and-events/news-archive/covid-19-travel-frequently-asked-questions-.html

What requirements are in place for those travelling to Ireland from the UAE?
    The UAE is considered a high-risk ‘category 2’ country. The following requirements apply to anyone travelling from the UAE to Ireland, including passengers who transit through the UAE, even if they remain airside:

Evidence of a negative or ‘not detected’ result from a COVID-19 Reverse Transcription Polymerase Chain Reaction (RT-PCR) test carried out no more than 72 hours before arrival into Ireland.
    From 4am on Friday March 26th - Completion of 14 days of quarantine at a designated hotel - regardless of a negative PCR test result.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,707 ✭✭✭✭Hello 2D Person Below

They'd be doing no different at home.

I wouldn't mind a couple of weeks in a hotel room, might give me the illusion I'm on me holidays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

"She described their interconnecting hotel rooms as “absolutely tiny. You can walk around the beds if the suitcases aren’t lying on the ground, but we have to lie them down to get our stuff out."

Not one jot of sympathy, you're not on the breadline shuffling in and out of transient accommodation. Totally disconnected from harsh realities facing many in Ireland, unpack your suitcases and cop on to yourselves.

Yeah I have a lot of sympathy for people who have to quarantine but the moment they show these stages photos the sympathy evaporates. You don't need to all sit in one room, you have two. You don't need to keep your cases on the floor, you have wardrobes. You keep going on about tiny tables when you clearly have desks as well. If you're staging photos like this, you know you're in the wrong. Especially if you're a nurse you should know better.

h2005 wrote: »

Quarantine. Has been for all of last year. That's why they have almost no cases. I wish to christ we had done it last year right at the very start, we wouldn't be in the situation we're in now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭jackboy

She didn’t do herself any favours saying she hadn’t enough room to do her yoga😂

• Registered Users Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭appledrop

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Some people really have no experience of the world do they if they think this is appalling.

Have they been living under a rock in Australia or something and what they have been doing with incoming travellers.

Negative levels of sympathy here.

Exactly what do they expect? They choose to move their family half way across the world during a pandemic so boo hoo. Complaing about 3 beds between 5 of them in 2 rooms. Does she not normally sleep in same bed as her husband? That leaves 2 beds between 3 girls. Is she trying to say they have never been on family holiday when kids shared beds?What a load of nonsense.

Going on about her child's birthday, well guess what my child will be having his 2nd lockdown birthday soon thats 2 years in a row not seeing any of his friends, cousins, grandparents etc. I'm sure her child got to celebrate her birthday last year in Australia. The are in for a wake up call can't just do what they want in Ireland at the moment.

They are in a four star hotel, shame on Irish media for making it out like they are slumming it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭davetherave

h2005 wrote: »

Australia’s borders are closed. The only people who can travel to Australia are:

Australian citizens
    residents
    immediate family members
    travellers who have been in New Zealand for the previous 14 days.

Australian Border Force liaison officers will work with airlines at overseas airports to identify those who should not board flights to Australia.

https://www.health.gov.au/news/health-alerts/novel-coronavirus-2019-ncov-health-alert/coronavirus-covid-19-restrictions/coronavirus-covid-19-advice-for-international-travellers#travel-into-australia

To prevent the spread of COVID-19, travellers arriving in Australia by air or sea may need to go into government approved mandatory quarantine for 14 days from arrival. Exceptions include travellers who are:

travelling from a green safe travel zone
    in an exemption category.
    State and territory governments, with support from the Australian Government, manage quarantine arrangements including:

transport for travellers from their arrival point to their quarantine accommodation
    quarantine arrangements at the accommodation facility
    You must quarantine in the city you arrive in for 14 days, even if you plan to travel elsewhere in Australia.

• Advertisement

appledrop wrote: »
    Exactly what do they expect? They choose to move their family half way across the world during a pandemic so boo hoo. Complaing about 3 beds between 5 of them in 2 rooms. Does she not normally sleep in same bed as her husband? That leaves 2 beds between 3 girls. Is she trying to say they have never been on family holiday when kids shared beds?What a load of nonsense.

Going on about her child's birthday, well guess what my child will be having his 2nd lockdown birthday soon thats 2 years in a row not seeing any of his friends, cousins, grandparents etc. I'm sure her child got to celebrate her birthday last year in Australia. The are in for a wake up call can't just do what they want in Ireland at the moment.

They are in a four star hotel, shame on Irish media for making it out like they are slumming it.

Mine too - it's his birthday today - second one in quarantine. Great. Apparently they came back so the kid could have her birthday in Ireland : how the heck did she think they were going to celebrate a birthday in Ireland these days? I bet she was planning a party, selfish b...

Advertisement