Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RIP thread for people involved in film

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Yaphet Kotto, (Alien, the villain in Live and Let Die) has died aged 81.

YaphetKotto.104926.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,345 ✭✭✭MfMan

"It's a robot! Ash is a goddamn robot!"

Mr. Big: [to his men] Is *this* the stupid mutha that tailed you uptown?

James Bond: There seems to be some mistake. My name is...

Mr. Big: Names is for tombstones, baby! Y'all take this honky out and waste him! Now!

Always a charismatic performer.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,377 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

Yaphet Kotto, (Alien, the villain in Live and Let Die) has died aged 81.

Ah crap!
    One of my favourite actors of the 70s and 80s. Such a powerful presence.

He was brilliant in Midnight Run as Special Agent Alonzo Mosely!

Paul Schrader's directorial debut Blue Collar is well worth checking out for anyone who hasn't seen it. Yaphet, Richard Pryor and Harvey Keitel are all superb.

RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 80,795 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn

RIP, "Names is for tombstones baby..."

• Registered Users Posts: 18,821 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Yaphet Kotto has died aged 81.

That's more than half of the Alien crew gone now.

It's a sobering thought.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

Tony EH wrote: »
    That's more than half of the Alien crew gone now.

It's a sobering thought.
    Released 42 years ago. Time's a savage beast. And you don't dare kill it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Zeek12 wrote: »

Paul Schrader's directorial debut Blue Collar is well worth checking out for anyone who hasn't seen it. Yaphet, Richard Pryor and Harvey Keitel are all superb.

RIP.

Another film that illustrated that Pryor sort of wasted his career (I know!) by not doing more drama cos he was a terrific 'straight' actor. Blue Collar is well worth finding - a bit of a lost film these days as far as TV is concerned.

Another film that illustrated that Pryor sort of wasted his career (I know!) by not doing more drama cos he was a terrific 'straight' actor. Blue Collar is well worth finding - a bit of a lost film these days as far as TV is concerned.

His performance in Blue Collar is top notch. I actually avoided the film for years even as a big fan of most of the participants, thinking it was some kind of silly Pryor vehicle with bad laughs. How wrong I was. It totally stands the test of time.
    A fantastic film.

I wouldn't swap my Dvd of that movie for anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,319 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

George Segal Dies: Oscar-Nominated Actor & ‘The Goldbergs’ Star Was 87

RIP

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    RIP

King Rat, The Hot Rock and California Split were all excellent films.

He was great fun in The Goldbergs too.

RIP George.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭Zirconia
    Boycott Israeli Goods & Services

Zeek12 wrote: »
    King Rat, The Hot Rock and California Split were all excellent films.

He was great fun in The Goldbergs too.

RIP George.

I wasn't a fan in general, but he was quite good, and playing against typical character in The Terminal Man. Worth a watch!

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 12,948 ✭✭✭✭bnt

French director Bernard Tavernier has died at 79: I’d heard of Un Dimanche à la Campagne (A Sunday in the Country). before as a Golden Globe nominee, one I should watch.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭Skyknight

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-56527688
    Award-winning US actress Jessica Walter (Play Misty for Me, Grand Prix, Arrested Development and Dinosaurs) has died at 90

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,913 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Skyknight wrote: »
    Award-winning US actress Jessica Walter (Play Misty for Me, Grand Prix, Arrested Development and Dinosaurs) has died at 90

I mean, it's one banana, Michael. What could it cost, $10?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

"The classic Irish man's dilemma: Do I eat the potato or do I let it ferment so I can drink it later?"

• Registered Users Posts: 84,319 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

RIP

th?id=OIP.m16Ts0Rqf9N57_Ca-XrqHQHaER&pid=Api&P=0&w=275&h=160

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Bozo Skeleton

Saddened to hear of the passing of the wonderful Jessica Walter. RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

She was fantastic in later comedic roles like Arrested Development and Archer.

tumblr_mdusrj2Phi1rb025io1_500.gif

I'm less familiar with her earlier work, but she's great playing opposite Clint Eastwood in Play Misty for Me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,198 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Seem to be conflicting if she was 80 or 90 at death to what media your reading, remember her for play misty for me, always found her attractive.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    Seem to be conflicting if she was 80 or 90 at death to what media your reading, remember her for play misty for me, always found her attractive.

It's a bit of a Fatal Attraction type situation. Good story.

• Advertisement

Author Larry McMurtry has died at 84: he was the author of the novel The Last Picture Show, and co-adapted it for the movie screenplay. His Lonesome Dove books were made in to a couple of popular TV series, and later he won an Oscar for co-writing the screenplay to Brokeback Mountain (adapted from E. Annie Proulx's short story).

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,345 ✭✭✭MfMan

bnt wrote: »
    Author Larry McMurtry has died at 84: he was the author of the novel The Last Picture Show, and co-adapted it for the movie screenplay. His Lonesome Dove books were made in to a couple of popular TV series, and later he won an Oscar for co-writing the screenplay to Brokeback Mountain (adapted from E. Annie Proulx's short story).

Sad. The Lonesome Dove series were very meandering, entertaining fables of the Old West, particularly the initial novel. Writer of Hud too wasn't he?

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭BalboBiggins

I’m reading Lonesome Dove at the moment. Great book.

I just learned that McMurtry also wrote the novel *Terms Of Endearment*, but wasn’t directly involved with the movie, which won five Oscars including Best Picture and Adapted Screenplay.

bnt wrote: »
    I just learned that McMurtry also wrote the novel *Terms Of Endearment*, but wasn’t directly involved with the movie, which won five Oscars including Best Picture and Adapted Screenplay.

The Oscar winning Paul Newman Film Hud was also adapted from one of his novels (the novel was titled "Horseman Pass By").

RIP Larry

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

Cadillac Jack is also a good one (book) from Larry McMurtry

• Registered Users Posts: 10,142 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

**** on it. Quite a few movies under his belt, Harry Potter and Bond, but probably known mostly for TV lately, such as Friday Night Dinner and Chernobyl, Paul Ritter died of a brain tumour at the relatively young age of 54.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,179 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Mark Elliott died aged 81 RIP.

He was the Iconic voice of Disney trailers Tv spots and Radio spots form the 1970's to the 00's

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭p to the e

Hurrache wrote: »
    **** on it. Quite a few movies under his belt, Harry Potter and Bond, but probably known mostly for TV lately, such as Friday Night Dinner and Chernobyl, Paul Ritter died of a brain tumour at the relatively young age of 54.

54? Not great. Not terrible.

Also James Hampton who played the dad in Teen Wolf has died
    https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/james-hampton-dead-f-troop-longest-yard-teen-wolf-actor-was-84-1266356

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,905 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

p to the e wrote: »
    54? Not great. Not terrible.

Also James Hampton who played the dad in Teen Wolf has died
    https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/james-hampton-dead-f-troop-longest-yard-teen-wolf-actor-was-84-1266356

Wha?

Advertisement