Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXIII-231,484 ROI(4,610 deaths)116,197 NI (2,107 deaths)(23/03)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    As someone living on the border all my life I can tell you that those people would be a extremely small percentage.

Funny cos the inlaws there were saying the exact opposite. Suppose it just depends where you are.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

That’s what I read into it too but I don’t know am I doing that out of sheer desperation and seeing things that aren’t there. Whatever about that, surely the “stick with it for another few weeks” shows how completely out of touch he is. People are beyond sick of hearing that!

From the indo

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/tanaiste-tells-tds-of-deterioratingcovid-19-situation-and-fears-relaxing-lockdown-could-make-it-worse-40236679.html
    TÁNAISTE Leo Varadkar has said some of the public have already moved out of Level 5 - but warned of a “deteriorating” Covid-19 situation that could worsen if restrictions are eased next month.
    Mr Varadkar said the advice from deputy chief medical officer Dr Ronan Glynn was that no county in Ireland could move to looser restriction at this time.

Really feels awful.at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 8,273 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Apart from the 107,000 in residential homes, the 170,000 over 70 and the 6,000 with pre existing conditions, as of 3 days ago, before az got back on track

You’ve inadvertently proved my point.

My sarcasm was hard to detect.

We’ve a significant amount of vulnerable and HCWs vaccinated. It’s time to take that into consideration

With great priority there should be significant easing of restrictions in April regarding inter county travel and outdoor activities.

I find it bizarre that some people have no issue throwing away another 6 weeks with no consideration for the plethora of sunk costs involved

It’s as if another 6 weeks is nothing

How do some people actually live I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭frank8211

Offaly Express - HSE confirms four Offaly schools hit with Covid-19 cases

You need an NI GP and a healthcard which many wouldn't have.

Having family there or working there doesn't give you access to vaccines

That's a given and didnt say otherwise. See the link I included which even details that.

Again lots of people who work etc in the North or from the North living in the South avail of gp and hospital services in NI. Its not that unusual.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭covidrelease

Stheno wrote: »

Shameful, clearly level 5 is failing and what do the incompetents come up with.....more of the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Frozen Veg wrote: »
    'We are at a critical point'

According to NPHET

Deja vu

To thine own self be true

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Batattackrat

People are pissed off because the whole country behaves for two weeks and we open for two weeks we are just going to be locked down again with the high case numbers.

Wouldn't be in this mess if the mandatory quarantine was in place by September last year.

People are fed up as the government have no living with Covid plan and are not going to wait any longer on the slow rollout of vacinations when they won't even get a slight cold from Covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Martina1991

Cork2021 wrote: »
    It’s 5 counties driving the numbers! Munster as whole had 76 cases from a population of 1.28m people!!
    Cork2021 wrote: »
    50 patients in hospitals (11 in icu) across Munster as well.

Similarly <50 cases in Connacht, >550,000 people.

33 in Connacht hospitals, 4 of those in ICU.

• Advertisement

We’ve a significant amount of vulnerable and HCWs vaccinated. It’s time to take that into consideration

With great priority there should be significant easing of restrictions in April regarding inter county travel and outdoor activities.

I find it bizarre that some people have no issue throwing away another 6 weeks with no consideration for the plethora of sunk costs involved

Yes, there should.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,479 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

gozunda wrote: »
    Funny cos the inlaws there were saying the exact opposite. Suppose it just depends where you are.

You have to have a health and social care number, or otherwise be eligible for health and social care services in Northern Ireland.

The vast majority of those crossing the border in Monaghan, Cavan and Louth are living North and working South. Maybe Donegal is different but even then, from a population vaccinated perspective, it would be small.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,853 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

How can anyone be happy with what's going around tonight ?

Another summer ****ed away, ****ing last summer had more freedoms than what we could be getting this year

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭Natterjack from Kerry

Shameful, clearly level 5 is failing and what do the incompetents come up with.....more of the same.

What increased restrictions would you propose then ? As you say, L5 isnt enough, but govt divided on what to do reduce case numbers. They all want to be the bearers of good news, but know they cant give it - they were bitten badly in December when they went ahead with relaxations based where they had hoped we would be, but not where we actually were. They wont make that mistake again.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,703 ✭✭✭hynesie08

PTH2009 wrote: »
    How can anyone be happy with what's going around tonight ?

Another summer ****ed away, ****ing last summer had more freedoms than what we could be getting this year

What's going around? The Taoiseach saying we'll be in a better place when all the over 70s and vulnerable have the first jab in a few weeks? Or varadkar saying that they have to give people relief and a bit of freedom?

Both of those are good aren't they?

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭11521323

How can the Irish public get behind the Government? Anyone who has eyes and a brain can find out what's happening all across Europe.

I truly despise the wet blankets that form the majority of this countries population sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Messi19

Big gambling week. Goes on all week for 4-5 hours a day, its also Paddy's week.

A lot of parties took place, I don't think we have seen the possible effect of these yet.

Oh right. Cheltenham parties. Cop on man

• Registered Users Posts: 16,075 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

That’s what I read into it too but I don’t know am I doing that out of sheer desperation and seeing things that aren’t there. Whatever about that, surely the “stick with it for another few weeks” shows how completely out of touch he is. People are beyond sick of hearing that!
    Beyond sick , well beyond
    More and more people realising that the Government haven’t a bloody clue and are simply repeating more of the same when it quite clearly isn’t working .
    I give up now with this nonsense of leading us round and round until we have no idea what is what or what we are aiming for

I will wear masks , wash my hands , do my utmost to keep distance but am damn well will meet my friend in my garden and have coffee .No , I wont lick the same spoon or drink out of the same cup .

Neither of us are stupid and both know what 2 metres is and well aware that if we can walk together then we can sit together 2 metres apart
    If she happens to need to wee then we are both old enough to use anti bac spray and anti bac wipes and soap .
    Fed up with being treated like a five year old , we are adults who know how to protect ourselves. And more than fed up to be told to do a little bit more

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭Boggerman12

Leo asked the sainted Tony what happens when level 5 or whatever other high number u want to call it failed what was plan b.only waiting since end of October for Tony and the rest of nphet to answer.no rush lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,853 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

hynesie08 wrote: »
    What's going around? The Taoiseach saying we'll be in a better place when all the over 70s and vulnerable have the first jab in a few weeks? Or varadkar saying that they have to give people relief and a bit of freedom?

Both of those are good aren't they?

'It’s believed that May 24 may be the next date that could see the return for hairdressers, but sources stress that even this far-off date is completely dependent on Covid case and vaccination numbers between now and then.

Bars and restaurants are expected to remain closed until at least the middle of June - or possibly longer.'

• Advertisement

I guess people may be a bit more resilient than you give them credit for. And no most people don't like being under continued restrictions but I reckon many see the goal of getting more people vaccinated and keeping new cases low as something to aim for.

But its not easy for anyone. Yes we have about half a million vulnerable elderly and others vaccinated. However there's a significant number of those groups who have yet to get their first or second shot.

Even the UK who are miles ahead in terms of vaccinations are only going to consider rolling back those restrictions at the beginning in April.

Six weeks can seem like forever tbf.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,859 ✭✭✭gifted

What increased restrictions would you propose then ? As you say, L5 isnt enough, but govt divided on what to do reduce case numbers. They all want to be the bearers of good news, but know they cant give it - they were bitten badly in December when they went ahead with relaxations based where they had hoped we would be, but not where we actually were. They wont make that mistake again.

They've decided today to allow apprentices return to the training centres to complete their training. So apprentices from all over the country will be back in workshops and mixing again. So even though numbers are going up again they are opening up more sections of society at the same time. Watch the numbers go through the roof in about three weeks time.

PTH2009 wrote: »
    'It’s believed that May 24 may be the next date that could see the return for hairdressers, but sources stress that even this far-off date is completely dependent on Covid case and vaccination numbers between now and then.

Bars and restaurants are expected to remain closed until at least the middle of June - or possibly longer.'

Ah yes, a Dublin live article with an unnamed source and dates pulled out of their arse based on guesswork.

You get annoyed at that all you want, I'll live in reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Maestro85

"insert generic statement about no one adhering to restrictions".

Then people wonder why the numbers rise and why the lockdown continues.

"Insert generic statement about people will not follow it when the majority will".

So thank the minority for breaking the guidelines.

At best it is keyboard warriors, at worst it is the reason for this new rise.

https://www.dublinlive.ie/news/dublin-news/ireland-pubs-lockdown-easing-restrictions-20244799

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭Natterjack from Kerry

gifted wrote: »
    They've decided today to allow apprentices return to the training centres to complete their training. So apprentices from all over the country will be back in workshops and mixing again. So even though numbers are going up again they are opening up more sections of society at the same time. Watch the numbers go through the roof in about three weeks time.

Not if they counter those kind of opening with new restrictions elsewhere. I cant believe they will allow numbers to go again as they did after Christmas. So with the likes of apprenices and more school kids, there has to be a counterbalance to that. No hint yet of what that will be, but they will all be happy to let Michael deliver that bombshell from the steps of Merrion St.

Maestro85 wrote: »
    "insert generic statement about no one adhering to restrictions".

Then people wonder why the numbers rise and why the lockdown continues.

"Insert generic statement about people will not follow it when the majority will".

So thank the minority for breaking the guidelines.

At best it is keyboard warriors, at worst it is the reason for this new rise.

https://www.dublinlive.ie/news/dublin-news/ireland-pubs-lockdown-easing-restrictions-20244799

Another Dublin Live article that seems to be using last year's guidelines.......

Seriously lads, you're better than this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,859 ✭✭✭gifted

Not if they counter those kind of opening with new restrictions elsewhere. I cant believe they will allow numbers to go again as they did after Christmas. So with the likes of apprenices and more school kids, there has to be a counterbalance to that. No hint yet of what that will be, but they will all be happy to let Michael deliver that bombshell from the steps of Merrion St.

Apprentices are coming from all different counties....I know two of them and they're not adhering to any social distancing ....there now going to be mixing with other apprentices and God only knows what they'll get up to at night while staying up wherever their training centre is....so it should be interesting to see the counter balance that will prevent them from mixing

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

At least there are some dissenting voices now in Cabinet, even if they are relatively few and far between and some seem to be addressing the concerns of the public and the need to throw us a bone even if MM & Leo don’t want to hear it. It was very frustrating there for a while when every single person up there making decisions were all singing from the same hymn sheet

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

Watched channel 4 news segment on covid and turned on Rte new at nine.

Channel 4 covered the following amongst other things,

Germany have today closed the free travel border with Poland, police have checkpoints across the length of the border between the two countries and are not allowing travellers into Germany with doing a covid test.

Angela merkle had to make a you turn announcement today because they could not properly take the steps required to lock down the country in time for an upcoming Easter weekend lockdown, she went to take full responsibility for the whole balls up because the buck stops with her.

Meanwhile in Ireland, 12 months after the first wave the hse have setup walk-in test centres.

No mention of the German/Poland border closure on RTE for fear it make the government look like apes. And there was absolutely no mention of merkle climb down for fear of make MM and LV like a bunch gombeens.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭Renault 5

Schools reopened. Cases go up.

Send secondary schools back and cases go up again.

Stupid blaming people who were breaking restrictions. The same people have been breaking them long before the past few weeks.

Government meeting are like

548006.jpeg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement