Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

PV Feed In Tariff

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,188 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Its an obligation from next year under an EU directive, the rate is crap

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,733 ✭✭✭✭unkel

That article is over a year old :p

The only equitable way to increase the uptake of micro renewables substantially is with a decent FIT. Hope it will come soon. And cancel all the PV subsidies. Disaster of a system that has only been good to the SEAI installers. Bad for the householders and even worse value for money for the tax payers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭freddyuk

Sorry I was looking at the publish date of the Journal didn't notice the 2019 date:mad:

Stand easy.....

• Registered Users Posts: 41 fluffykre

HI folks,

I got Solar PV installed last year and shopping around for a new energy deal and came across Energies grid tarrif.

Its called their grid tariff and requires solar and a smart battery. It appears you need to use their proprietor battery Moixa.

Smart Moixa Battery only: €6,000 for 2kWp 4.8kWh (€600 grant available).

Energia will pay you for excess electricity you return back to the grid at a rate of €0.074 (that’s 7.4c) per kWh which is paid out as a credit on your bill every January and July.

I wonder if this will include a new meter or if the energy export is monitored by the smart battery system.

As you have to buy their battery and they only pay you for exports January and July it does not sound very good. However great to see more options.

Anyone else aware of this or on this tariff?

energia.ie/plans-and-switching-info/grid

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Just looked at their prices..with a 2kwp system and a 4kwh battery you won't be exporting much either!

14k! For a 2kwp and a battery!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭mp3guy

I wonder is the 7.4c/kWh rate indicative of what the general unwashed should expect for FIT?

LOL, yeah the pricing in the OP are misleading. That €6k is just for the battery, for 4.8kWh, or €1250 per kWh. My target price would be more like €100 per kWh :p

I wonder did Energia team up with a certain active company with an 8 in their name? :p :pac: :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭MAULBROOK

fluffykre wrote: »
    HI folks,

I got Solar PV installed last year and shopping around for a new energy deal and came across Energies grid tarrif.

Its called their grid tariff and requires solar and a smart battery. It appears you need to use their proprietor battery Moixa.

Smart Moixa Battery only: €6,000 for 2kWp 4.8kWh (€600 grant available).

Energia will pay you for excess electricity you return back to the grid at a rate of €0.074 (that’s 7.4c) per kWh which is paid out as a credit on your bill every January and July.

I wonder if this will include a new meter or if the energy export is monitored by the smart battery system.

As you have to buy their battery and they only pay you for exports January and July it does not sound very good. However great to see more options.

Anyone else aware of this or on this tariff?

energia.ie/plans-and-switching-info/grid

6k for the battery, daylight fecken robbery.
    you could get a very sizable solar system and a decent size battery for that.

The FIT rate is ok but its a poor deal overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 eamon_l

Public Consultation on a Micro-generation Support Scheme in Ireland 2021 was open until 18/02/2021. Change is on the way!!

file:///C:/Users/G26125D/Downloads/118534_ac826470-1d60-41a6-9e06-91cfb3a9709e.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 12,188 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

unkel wrote: »
    That article is over a year old :p

The only equitable way to increase the uptake of micro renewables substantially is with a decent FIT. Hope it will come soon. And cancel all the PV subsidies. Disaster of a system that has only been good to the SEAI installers. Bad for the householders and even worse value for money for the tax payers.

FIT will only drive up the price of panels so joe soap gets it up the khyber again, which are already 30% up due to Brexit if coming through the UK

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Advertisement

FIT will only drive up the price of panels

No it won't. What gave you that idea?

There are a few strongly competing wholesale suppliers in Ireland that directly import containers full of panels (about 800 per container last time I looked) directly from China. If anything, FIT with higher demand for panels and a possible higher buying discount, might make them cheaper.

These wholesalers also compete indirectely with even bigger wholesalers from continental EU. If the Irish based ones raise their prices too much, it will become cheaper to import them (paying hefty shipping charges). They know this so they won't.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,070 ✭✭✭✭KCross

eamon_l wrote: »
    Public Consultation on a Micro-generation Support Scheme in Ireland 2021 was open until 18/02/2021. Change is on the way!!

file:///C:/Users/G26125D/Downloads/118534_ac826470-1d60-41a6-9e06-91cfb3a9709e.pdf

Discussed in detail here
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058149744

Roll on 1 July.
    FIT will only drive up the price of panels so joe soap gets it up the khyber again, which are already 30% up due to Brexit if coming through the UK

I cant see it increasing the cost of panels. The returns you will get from FiT will be very modest but, of course, there will be cowboys who will dress it up as a massive saving and use it to mis-sell. Buyer beware.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭niallers1

Looks like it will be linked to the B.E.R. of the house and possibly up to 30% of what you produce.

Divil will be in the detail....

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭Boardnashea

What FIT rates are we expecting? Will it be different for existing and new suppliers? I'm only going to be giving back a tiny amount hopefully but it would be great to get a reasonable value for what does go back.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭Alkers

So if you're going for a big array (and likely to have a large excess) it might be more worthwhile holding off to avail of the larger fit for as many years as you can. If you're going for a smaller array now and aiming to use as much of what you generate as you can, the current grant may be best?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,671 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Bird in the hand, I’d grab whatever grant is available now, the current grants are very generous.
    FIT could well be pittance

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭Boardnashea

Will each provider decide their own buy in rates? Or will it be an across the board rate for all?

Will each provider decide their own buy in rates? Or will it be an across the board rate for all?

The proposal was to have a minimum that the provider had to give you. They can go up if they want to to entice you in, but they cant go down.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,177 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Any newselberries on how much it's going to be? 4c? 0.4c?

KCross wrote: »
    The proposal was to have a minimum that the provider had to give you. They can go up if they want to to entice you in, but they cant go down.
    That’s what she said
    Any newselberries on how much it's going to be? 4c? 0.4c?
    With ESB and their grubby mitts I suggest a paltry 4c, I submitted a suggestion of simple net metering as an incentive, when this was brought in in other countries some were paid for every unit they produced regardless of whether it went to the grid or not, now that’s proper incentives

• Advertisement

slave1 wrote: »
    when this was brought in in other countries some were paid for every unit they produced regardless of whether it went to the grid or not, now that’s proper incentives

That's why those countries are years ahead of Ireland in terms of domestic micro renewable generation

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭jkforde

slave1 wrote: »
    ... I submitted a suggestion of simple net metering as an incentive, when this was brought in in other countries some were paid for every unit they produced regardless of whether it went to the grid or not, now that’s proper incentives

Only in Ireland would the previous incumbent have a low-usage policy for crying out loud, talk about disincetivising microgeneration! conservative, myopic senior mgnt in our utilities and government depts need to be incentivsed to retire!!

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Northumberland

Government says export payments will start in July 2021, but it will be April already next week, and so far everyone I have contacted to ask for information about the export payments sends me somewhere else. I have written to a couple of electricity suppliers to ask them what they know - their answer is that the payments will all be handled by ESB! I wrote to the CRU (they had a little piece on export payments on their website), helpfully, their advice was " I suggest contacting the Department of Environment, Climate and Communications for further information on the timeline for the introduction of a support scheme." I contacted ESB to check that, being a micro-generator, I was on their priority list for installation of a 'smart meter', they said I was, and they would contact me 3 months before installation was planned, and that 'would probably be before the end of this year'!

So, the export payment scheme seems to be going no-where fast. I am surprised that the electricity companies that bathe themselve in green in all of their advertising, such as SSE Airtricity and Energia are saying absolutely NOTHING - not even 'watch this space' or 'we are in dicrect contact with XYZ on the export payment scheme and can assure our customers that we will be at the front offering new tarriffs as soon as Government is clear'

Well the proposal is for them to start in July.. nothing is announced yet.

We have yet to hear any results from the consultation, and until then nobody knows anything. Or if they do they can't tell you.. as it's not announced.

Did you really expect anything else? It’s a case of wait until July and see the pricing and then decision time...

meanwhile my one year contract for electricity supply with SSE expires May 4th, and all of the good deals around will want me to sign on for another entire year. I might do that only to find I have selected a company which then publishes a lousy export tariff - or worse still - no export tariff at all in July 2021.

By the way, I consume a lot of grid power at night, I have a heat-pump for the house and an all electric car. I scanned the providers deals yesterday and Energia looked good, they have an 'electric car special' with a very low night rate, the lowest I have seen, but there fixed charges look on the high side.

meanwhile my one year contract for electricity supply with SSE expires May 4th, and all of the good deals around will want me to sign on for another entire year. I might do that only to find I have selected a company which then publishes a lousy export tariff - or worse still - no export tariff at all in July 2021.

By the way, I consume a lot of grid power at night, I have a heat-pump for the house and an all electric car. I scanned the providers deals yesterday and Energia looked good, they have an 'electric car special' with a very low night rate, the lowest I have seen, but there fixed charges look on the high side.

I'd say unless you already have a smart meter, which most of us don't as we have the day/night meter.

Fixed charges are high but that comes with the territory, do the sums and see if the lower unit rates make up for the higher standing charge.

But usually if you have any sort of high useage it makes up for it

Yes, you are probably right. But since you mention it, what exactly is a 'Smart Meter'??? I applied to ESB for a day/night tariff about 2 years ago, and they came fairly promptly and fitted a new electronic meter with LCD screen and a big blue button, that you can push once to get date, again to get time, then total consumtion, day consumption, night consumption etc etc. Is that a smart meter? It certainly does not transmit meter readings to anyone automatically, our regular old meter reader trapses around to take a reading every now and again. But when you read the instructions for the meter, there is a combination of button pushes that should give a 'export' reading, but the screen just goes blank at that point, clearly not enabled. The instructions for the meter indicate that 'an authorised engineer' can simply 'zap' the thing with his IR beamer and enable the export function. I contacted ESB a while after the meter was installed to ask them if they could activate the 'export function' and they told me I would have to pay Euros 350 to have that done! So - is what I have a 'smart meter' or not?

So - is what I have a 'smart meter' or not?

No

You have a standard day/night meter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭mun1

I got an offer of a smart meter for my house but had to sign up to a new tariff .

the day and night rate would be a bit higher and there would be a peak tariff with approx 25% penalty during 5-7pm .

Also had a slightly lower standing charge.

They Did the sums and might save approx €37 per year but could be more or less depending on my peak use.

My useage during 5-7 is quite high especially during winter so I’m not going for it.

Advertisement