Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pandemic and alcohol..

• 19-04-2020 11:48am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭

I am defo drinking more often these days...

not getting drunk but having a drink on more nights than usual..

prob due to the stress of the whole thing and not working.. and no gym classes to get up for..

Anyone else noticed a change in their drinking pattern?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

Yeah but sure what better would you be at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,407 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Yes, perhaps opening the DIY shops for noon essential purchases would present another avenue for people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭sporina

Yes, perhaps opening the DIY shops for noon essential purchases would present another avenue for people.

ha ha i don't think that would work for me - have loads of jobs need doing here but even if there was a DIY store open next door to me, those jobs still wouldn't get done

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,268 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I hit it hard enough for the first week or two but I’ve cut back again. Bad habits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,531 ✭✭✭HBC08

Definitely drinking more.
    I still have to go to work but am nearly drinking any days im not working.The garden is looking the best its ever looked,we've actually run out of things to do with it.After exercise,DIY etc what is there to do only drink?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,625 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I'm drinking way less. I've had one beer in five weeks.

I was far more of a pub drinker than a home drinker. So I don't really feel the urge to drink while at home, even now.

I feel better physically not to be drinking every week.

I wondered about it in the early days, maybe I should crack open a beer every now and again. But I didn't feel the need to force it and I thought getting into a habit of boozing at home wouldn't be great, considering what is going on.

My housemate is drinking more or less everyday. Not to the point of getting smashed, but he's reliably polishing off a couple of cans on his own. I don't really see the point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,302 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Alcohol and DIY with extra power tools what could possibly go wrong!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I still work so can only drink weekends and even then it's not much.
    So no, I am about the same as before batflu.

Was listening to Dr Ciara Kelly on NT today and she was saying that she did a Q&A on instagram last night about alcohol and the pandemic.. said that she got about 100's of messages from people.. all sorts of queries alcohol related.. some saying that they are drinking more than normal and worried about it; how do you know your an alcoholic, what to do about it if you feel you have a problem etc..
    Gee glad I knocked it on the head last year.. was definitely drinking more at the start.. just weekends now..
    Sounds like a pandemic within a pandemic..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,124 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

At a population level alcohol consumption is down 6% year on year.

At a personal level I am drinking more frequently - glass of wine with dinner - but with less 'big nights out' at gigs, parties, or work events with free bars.

Overall it is probably the same quantity, just distributed differently. And quality has gone up a notch cos I'm not paying pub prices.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Now v pre-Pandemic, we are drinking slightly more at home but obviously no nights out so probably works out the same or less.
    We would have normally had a bottle of wine at home on a Friday and Saturday nights unless one or both of us were out. Now we open one on a Thursday but more than likely wouldn't finish it.
    My Husband would have the occasional couple of beers if watching a match like tonight but he may have gone to the pub pre-Pandemic to watch it.
    I would have had G&Ts if out with my friends but none of that now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,641 ✭✭✭✭fits

Had a small bottle of Belgian beer with dinner. 1 unit in it. That was first drink in a week. I actually love a glass of wine but my tolerance has disappeared so it’s not worth it. It’s getting to the stage now where we aren’t opening a bottle cos it takes so long to drink. I used to drink a lot more. Can’t blame the pandemic it’s definitely age.

I've stopped altogether, it would only depress me to get boozed at home.

I will go on the greatest lash of my life once we reopen, mind.

Drinking at home more and going out less. Balances out to the same as before, the only difference being the price is now lower and the quality higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭Sandor Clegane

Luckily I gave up drink long before the pandemic...also lucky for me all the things I enjoy are done at home and are solitary in nature.

I honestly wouldn't care if the lockdown never ended.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭daydorunrun

Luckily I gave up drink long before the pandemic...also lucky for me all the things I enjoy are done at home and are solitary in nature.

I honestly wouldn't care if the lockdown never ended.

You do know you can ignore any reopening and stay in 'lockdown' for as long as you want!

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try.” Homer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,536 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Consumption would be down compared to pre-lockdown; I'm still going to work and there's no option for evening pints or a lazy Sunday reading the papers in a beer garden. I'd prefer the pubs to be open to avoid having to do the recycling trips with bottles/cans though.

Now, if I was WFH and hence finished and sitting in a house full of booze at 17:01; and knew I didn't need to get up for work until 8:55 or whatever, I really doubt it'd be down

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭haskellgeek

My own consumption is definitely down. Right now at most its a couple of cans on a Friday or Saturday night with a movie one or the other mostly. Before I'd probably have been in a pub on Thursday and Saturday on a normal week sometimes a few days more and moer than a couple. I think my tolerance has also dropped as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

Definitely more regularly for me, I had to knock it on the head because I was just anxious and in the dumps the whole time. Two weeks off and I noticed all that ease straight away, so I won't be doing it again until an occasion that's worth it arises.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,580 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Way less. Way, way less. I'd be one for the pub and it would've been 3, 4 or 5 nights a week. Now I've drinks on Friday evening at home and I meet friends once a week in Stephen's Green that sometimes ends up back in someone's house.

What we do in the Green is bring a nagan of whiskey and a flask of coffee. Then buy a take-away coffee and keep topping it up. It's nice to get out and see friends as before the restrictions I would've been very sociable.

But I definitely won't go back to my previous drinking habits when pubs re-open. I feel a lot better, lost weight, started sea swimming and cycling and as I'm 51 that's probably what I should be doing.

Pub twice a week in the future and take it handier and leave earlier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,329 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Definitely much less for me.

GooglePlus wrote: »
    Definitely more regularly for me, I had to knock it on the head because I was just anxious and in the dumps the whole time. Two weeks off and I noticed all that ease straight away, so I won't be doing it again until an occasion that's worth it arises.

well you are not alone... some people are drinking more now than they normally would it seems.. not surprising.. so many will be in need to help if not already..

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭noplacehere

Ate a lot more junk in the first lock down to survive no childcare. Drank a lot more in the second one (I rarely ever drink in recent years but was having a glass or maybe two a night 2-3 nights a week which was way out of character). Third lockdown started with a very wobbly January and basically ate my way through it still with the odd glass. And now I’m finally on top of both and down 10lbs. Have a lot of damage to undo.

TLDR: drank more in lockdown 2. Back to normal now aka almost none.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

None..I'm college age so used to drink pretty heavy once or twice a week last year. But now, none as I barely ever see my friends and never in big groups where drinking might happen. It's odd I've completely lost the taste for alcohol, I'm often put off by the thought of it now..and when I do drink I think I get too drunk too quickly compared to what i used to be able to hold.

Still enjoy it though, was nice having a few on paddys day and getting a bit locked, look forward to going back to social drinking during the summer again, hopefully

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,572 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Drank a lot more in the first lockdown. Not having to commute in the morning or no gym to get up for meant no real consequences the next morning.

I've stepped back from it now big time, bad habits and all that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,644 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

I find I'm drinking less but stronger and more crafty stuff and for cheaper, probably evens out to be the same amount of physical units of alcohol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Hobgoblin11

I'm drinking more

Dundalk, Co. Louth

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

humberklog wrote: »
    Way less. Way, way less. I'd be one for the pub and it would've been 3, 4 or 5 nights a week. Now I've drinks on Friday evening at home and I meet friends once a week in Stephen's Green that sometimes ends up back in someone's house.

What we do in the Green is bring a nagan of whiskey and a flask of coffee. Then buy a take-away coffee and keep topping it up. It's nice to get out and see friends as before the restrictions I would've been very sociable.

But I definitely won't go back to my previous drinking habits when pubs re-open. I feel a lot better, lost weight, started sea swimming and cycling and as I'm 51 that's probably what I should be doing.

Pub twice a week in the future and take it handier and leave earlier.

I'd also be in the pub 3 or 4 nights a week. Usually either 3 or 4 pints watching a match once or twice, and a night or two out with colleagues or friends.

I always thought it was a bit of a silly distinction, but I've never drunk at home. Always seemed a potential slippery slope. The minimal effort of going to the pub and having to come home after, plus the psychological distinction between drinking in the pub vs not drinking at home seemed like a good idea. Over the years I've often bought a slab of cans for people coming over and ended up pouring half of them down the sink 6 months later because it literally would not occur to me to drink at home on my own.

The first week of the first lockdown I bought a few bottles. They sat there for three or four weeks until one of Leo's announcements sent me over the edge - it was one of the film quotes that seemed totally incongruous before we found out it was all a joke to him, not sure if it was the Terminator or Gandalf one.

Never really looked back after that. Whatever about a few pints on a Wednesday in a pub, wasn't that regularly I'd think at 2am that sure one more won't make that much of a difference, help numb the next day when all I have to do is make it a few hours to lunchtime, nap for an hour, then get through the afternoon. And that's drinking alone at home, not nursing a beer with a social buzz around. But that was most of last May, November, and a few other times. And I know other people the same.

I'd hope that eventually some semblance of normality might be the impetus that shocks me out of it, but certainly Holohan's "virus hates alcohol" statement was blackly funny, considering this is the closest I've ever been to pure alcoholism. On balance, I think I'll just about get out of it after all this, but I know not everyone will.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

Yeah I’m drinking more.

Would never really have drank at home at all, only if we had a few friends over. Would regularly look at beer in the fridge and see it’s actually gone off cos I wouldn’t be drinking at home. That ain’t a problem now I can tell ye.

I’ve found myself having a few bottles or cans of Guinness on a Friday and Saturday to simply differentiate the weekend from every other day of the week!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 408 ✭✭Tec Diver

I was drinking a little more in April/May last year but have cut it back again. Reckon I'm drinking a lot less than I used to before all the COVID stuff started.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 146 ✭✭dmn22

I'd say I'm drinking 95% less. Without the pub and the craic with people it's just not enjoyable for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 859 ✭✭✭OwenM

Consensus seems to be people drinking less and certainly less binge drinking.

It however doesn't stop the temperance movement bemoaning the 'Ocean of alcohol pouring into Irish homes' who in the same press release admitted in their own analysis of revenue data that the volume of alcohol consumed was down 6% last year. They are 'very disappointed' by a reduction? That's like the Road Safety Authority saying they are disappointed in a reduction in road deaths.

https://alcoholireland.ie/alcohol-consumption-data-2020-disappointing/

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/wine-sales-surge-in-past-year-amid-bar-and-restaurant-closures-1.4507455

Make no mistake, the do-gooders of the world will never stop and whilst prohibition is not going to be contemplated, watch out for campaigning to raise the minimum price in the near term - I'd guess within weeks of it's actual introduction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,124 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

What I am drinking has changed also, as well as drinking less but more often.
    I was never really one for cans at home but like a pint in a pub or at a gig.

At home, very little beer being drunk. Wine with dinner and a whiskey or mixed drink afterwards.
    More hot whiskeys, given the chilly winter.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭opinionated3

Haven't had an alcoholic drink since the first weekend in December when restrictions were relaxed a little. ( Went to a local gastro pub for food and drinks). I don't drink at home. Missing the pub something awful, the Sunday afternoons watching the sport and enjoying some beautiful creamy pints of Guinness. And most of all the craic and chat with the regulars. I'll never take that for granted ever again that's for sure.
    Having that said, I've noticed some of my friends and their partners have definitely increased their drinking at home. Mainly at weekends, watching a movie or having a takeaway. The end result of the sheer boredom of lockdown I suppose

yes it would seem that while alcohol consumption is down at a population level, there are a lot of people drinking more at home - and I think that thats where the concern lies.. Tabor Lodge is apparently snowed under with people looking for help.. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 217 ✭✭volono

This time last year, during the first lockdown it didn't really bother me at all. I was drinking but only now and again. Took up exercise, DIY around the house etc.. I was working then right thru to Xmas and as others have said I'm a pub drinker so when they where open I was going afew nights a week.
    This lockdown has been completely different. I'm not working and after seeing the family at Xmas, I had it really hard in January, basically unable to get out of bed.
    I actually don't know where the last 3 months of my life have gone. It all seems so pointless.
    I know I'm drinking way in excess of anything "normal" but I literally just can't get the motivation to rectify it.
    As an example, I didn't sleep well one of the nights last week, woke at 5am and was drinking by 6. I couldn't tell you how many I had, near a slab anyway.
    I've always liked a drink but never like this volume, I'm just suffering really badly with the whole situation at the minute and can't seem to "get it together" , I'm struggling daily tbf.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭trixi001

I would say probably drinking more - definitely drinking more often!

Was drinking almost every night for a while, as basically there was nothing else to do and not driving to work this next day.

Took a bit of a time out, and and went stayed with my bubble for about a week, where i took more exercise and spent a lot of time out and about in nature and only had an odd glass of wine. The change in routine made a difference to my outlook - i had been feeling very down and the alcohol wasn't helping my moods..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

volono wrote: »
    This time last year, during the first lockdown it didn't really bother me at all. I was drinking but only now and again. Took up exercise, DIY around the house etc.. I was working then right thru to Xmas and as others have said I'm a pub drinker so when they where open I was going afew nights a week.
    This lockdown has been completely different. I'm not working and after seeing the family at Xmas, I had it really hard in January, basically unable to get out of bed.
    I actually don't know where the last 3 months of my life have gone. It all seems so pointless.
    I know I'm drinking way in excess of anything "normal" but I literally just can't get the motivation to rectify it.
    As an example, I didn't sleep well one of the nights last week, woke at 5am and was drinking by 6. I couldn't tell you how many I had, near a slab anyway.
    I've always liked a drink but never like this volume, I'm just suffering really badly with the whole situation at the minute and can't seem to "get it together" , I'm struggling daily tbf.

Hang in there man, it's tough but this will eventually end.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

I've been on and off the wagon now since the start of lockdown and every time I get back on up there, the fall is much harder the next time. I find that when I'm in a slump like you've described, I'm drinking because I'm down and I didn't know it at the start, but the drink was a big reason why I was down. The stuff does odd things to the head over time, the brain doesn't give you the reward it usually would for doing the normally enjoyable things in life because it's craving the alcohol, so you end up in a constant state of dullness and depression, until you drink again. The only way out of that state is to break the negative loop that's caused by the alcohol but it's no easy task, especially now. I read a book call This Naked Mind and it really shed some light on why I might be drinking, I'd highly recommend it. All I can say is don't be hard on yourself and if you can, take each day as it comes. I visited my GP too, which took a weight off my shoulders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,475 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Gave it up for Jan, and off it now again until exams are finished in a few weeks. Feel so much better without it and get a lot more done in general.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭paw patrol

drinking a lot more.

Gosh I am sorry to hear that.. maybe get in touch with your GP/call a help line or something.. its a v tough time.. go easy on yourself... but would be great if you could get some help.. things will get better Covid wise - your job will be available again - and when it is, you wanna be able to go back to it.. x

GooglePlus wrote: »
    I've been on and off the wagon now since the start of lockdown and every time I get back on up there, the fall is much harder the next time. I find that when I'm in a slump like you've described, I'm drinking because I'm down and I didn't know it at the start, but the drink was a big reason why I was down. The stuff does odd things to the head over time, the brain doesn't give you the reward it usually would for doing the normally enjoyable things in life because it's craving the alcohol, so you end up in a constant state of dullness and depression, until you drink again. The only way out of that state is to break the negative loop that's caused by the alcohol but it's no easy task, especially now. I read a book call This Naked Mind and it really shed some light on why I might be drinking, I'd highly recommend it. All I can say is don't be hard on yourself and if you can, take each day as it comes. I visited my GP too, which took a weight off my shoulders.

Thanks for the reply,
    I can definitely see the link between the two. I've had a lot of time to think since the lockdown about it tbf. Looking at it , maybe I've always drank a little too excessively. Nothing too extreme, like most people , maybe have afew during the week. Always enjoyed the few on Fridays after work. Then Saturdays, getting out early, then maybe a restaurant, drinks after etc.
    But putting it together, it probably was excessive.
    It's a combination of things atm. I'm single again, I've no job to go back to when this lockdown eventually does end, etc etc. I don't know enough about what depression is, feels like, should feel like but know Im not myself really.
    I'm not bothering to shower, shave at times. Can't believe I'm even saying that. Trouble is , there is no normal atm. I'm drinking now while typing this. Sorry for ranting on, I know what I have to do, I'll pull myself out of it. I know I can't keep it up. Like you said, logically you know it's a negative but you keep drinking, it's a spiral. I'll have a look at the book, thanks again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,641 ✭✭✭✭fits

It’s very easy to get into this cycle but not looking after personal hygiene is a warning sign. Do try to address it sooner rather than later. There are things you can do now to address the job situation. ( I’m unemployed too and just started a six week course) a bit of structure can definitely help. Take care.

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

Drinking a lot more and 100% related to the lockdown, I drank a lot less when the pubs were open, as I liked to just sit back and relax there and didn't have a near endless supply like I do at home.

Pretty much I take one day a week off drinking then have at least two or three a night. It relaxes me and allows me to chill when otherwise I get incredibly frustrated and angry at the whole situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,031 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Over the course of the year I would have drink less overall, but probably more frequently.

I have had some periods of sobriety with a big uptake in exercise parallel to that, which was a lot easier during the bright summer months. But since October and the 6 months of lockdown and dark evenings etc, it's a lot harder so often find myself having a couple drinks on a Saturday or Sunday night just to try and make it feel like a weekend as currently WFH & lockdown makes the days just merge into one. There is nothing else to distinguish the days apart.

I wouldn't be a big house drinker anyways, much prefer a pub. I go the pub for the chat & craic really, not the drink. Pre-pandemic, I would probably go to the pub 1 or 2 days every other weekend having 10 pints each visit, whereas now it's more 6 bottles if there is something good on the TV or a decent bit of sport on.

Spirits consumption is nearly wiped out, can't really justify opening them at home for one person to drink it and having mixers going stale.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

The absence of gym and group exercise means I am drinking more often. If I'd a class or training the next day I wouldn't drink. I hope some sensible decision is made next week allowing people willing to follow the rules a bit more freedom.

fits wrote: »
    It’s very easy to get into this cycle but not looking after personal hygiene is a warning sign. Do try to address it sooner rather than later. There are things you can do now to address the job situation. ( I’m unemployed too and just started a six week course) a bit of structure can definitely help. Take care.

Well more a sign of being that hungover you can't be bothered, which no matter how bad of a night it was previously over the years I always had something to do the next day regardless so you just got up , ready and out etc. I'm trying to organise the job situation , hopefully shouldn't be too long after lockdown for it to be sorted out. The structure part is massive tbf. . I wasn't even sure what day it was this morning. It's just been one long blur.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

Drinking a lot more and 100% related to the lockdown, I drank a lot less when the pubs were open, as I liked to just sit back and relax there and didn't have a near endless supply like I do at home.

Pretty much I take one day a week off drinking then have at least two or three a night. It relaxes me and allows me to chill when otherwise I get incredibly frustrated and angry at the whole situation.

Exercise works wonders for reliving frustration

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Hooked

THIS. IS. ME. :(

• Advertisement
Advertisement