Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Pandemic and alcohol..

Options
  • 19-04-2020 11:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,779 ✭✭✭

I am defo drinking more often these days...

not getting drunk but having a drink on more nights than usual..

prob due to the stress of the whole thing and not working.. and no gym classes to get up for..

Anyone else noticed a change in their drinking pattern?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

Yeah but sure what better would you be at.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,115 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Yes, perhaps opening the DIY shops for noon essential purchases would present another avenue for people.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,779 ✭✭✭sporina

Yes, perhaps opening the DIY shops for noon essential purchases would present another avenue for people.

ha ha i don't think that would work for me - have loads of jobs need doing here but even if there was a DIY store open next door to me, those jobs still wouldn't get done

• Registered Users Posts: 12,140 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I hit it hard enough for the first week or two but I’ve cut back again. Bad habits.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭HBC08

Definitely drinking more.
    I still have to go to work but am nearly drinking any days im not working.The garden is looking the best its ever looked,we've actually run out of things to do with it.After exercise,DIY etc what is there to do only drink?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I'm drinking way less. I've had one beer in five weeks.

I was far more of a pub drinker than a home drinker. So I don't really feel the urge to drink while at home, even now.

I feel better physically not to be drinking every week.

I wondered about it in the early days, maybe I should crack open a beer every now and again. But I didn't feel the need to force it and I thought getting into a habit of boozing at home wouldn't be great, considering what is going on.

My housemate is drinking more or less everyday. Not to the point of getting smashed, but he's reliably polishing off a couple of cans on his own. I don't really see the point.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,828 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Alcohol and DIY with extra power tools what could possibly go wrong!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I still work so can only drink weekends and even then it's not much.
    So no, I am about the same as before batflu.

Was listening to Dr Ciara Kelly on NT today and she was saying that she did a Q&A on instagram last night about alcohol and the pandemic.. said that she got about 100's of messages from people.. all sorts of queries alcohol related.. some saying that they are drinking more than normal and worried about it; how do you know your an alcoholic, what to do about it if you feel you have a problem etc..
    Gee glad I knocked it on the head last year.. was definitely drinking more at the start.. just weekends now..
    Sounds like a pandemic within a pandemic..

• Registered Users Posts: 27,869 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

At a population level alcohol consumption is down 6% year on year.

At a personal level I am drinking more frequently - glass of wine with dinner - but with less 'big nights out' at gigs, parties, or work events with free bars.

Overall it is probably the same quantity, just distributed differently. And quality has gone up a notch cos I'm not paying pub prices.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Now v pre-Pandemic, we are drinking slightly more at home but obviously no nights out so probably works out the same or less.
    We would have normally had a bottle of wine at home on a Friday and Saturday nights unless one or both of us were out. Now we open one on a Thursday but more than likely wouldn't finish it.
    My Husband would have the occasional couple of beers if watching a match like tonight but he may have gone to the pub pre-Pandemic to watch it.
    I would have had G&Ts if out with my friends but none of that now.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,251 ✭✭✭✭fits

Had a small bottle of Belgian beer with dinner. 1 unit in it. That was first drink in a week. I actually love a glass of wine but my tolerance has disappeared so it’s not worth it. It’s getting to the stage now where we aren’t opening a bottle cos it takes so long to drink. I used to drink a lot more. Can’t blame the pandemic it’s definitely age.

I've stopped altogether, it would only depress me to get boozed at home.

I will go on the greatest lash of my life once we reopen, mind.

Drinking at home more and going out less. Balances out to the same as before, the only difference being the price is now lower and the quality higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Sandor Clegane

Luckily I gave up drink long before the pandemic...also lucky for me all the things I enjoy are done at home and are solitary in nature.

I honestly wouldn't care if the lockdown never ended.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭daydorunrun

Luckily I gave up drink long before the pandemic...also lucky for me all the things I enjoy are done at home and are solitary in nature.

I honestly wouldn't care if the lockdown never ended.

You do know you can ignore any reopening and stay in 'lockdown' for as long as you want!

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try.” Homer.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Consumption would be down compared to pre-lockdown; I'm still going to work and there's no option for evening pints or a lazy Sunday reading the papers in a beer garden. I'd prefer the pubs to be open to avoid having to do the recycling trips with bottles/cans though.

Now, if I was WFH and hence finished and sitting in a house full of booze at 17:01; and knew I didn't need to get up for work until 8:55 or whatever, I really doubt it'd be down

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭haskellgeek

My own consumption is definitely down. Right now at most its a couple of cans on a Friday or Saturday night with a movie one or the other mostly. Before I'd probably have been in a pub on Thursday and Saturday on a normal week sometimes a few days more and moer than a couple. I think my tolerance has also dropped as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

Definitely more regularly for me, I had to knock it on the head because I was just anxious and in the dumps the whole time. Two weeks off and I noticed all that ease straight away, so I won't be doing it again until an occasion that's worth it arises.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Way less. Way, way less. I'd be one for the pub and it would've been 3, 4 or 5 nights a week. Now I've drinks on Friday evening at home and I meet friends once a week in Stephen's Green that sometimes ends up back in someone's house.

What we do in the Green is bring a nagan of whiskey and a flask of coffee. Then buy a take-away coffee and keep topping it up. It's nice to get out and see friends as before the restrictions I would've been very sociable.

But I definitely won't go back to my previous drinking habits when pubs re-open. I feel a lot better, lost weight, started sea swimming and cycling and as I'm 51 that's probably what I should be doing.

Pub twice a week in the future and take it handier and leave earlier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,064 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Definitely much less for me.

GooglePlus wrote: »
    Definitely more regularly for me, I had to knock it on the head because I was just anxious and in the dumps the whole time. Two weeks off and I noticed all that ease straight away, so I won't be doing it again until an occasion that's worth it arises.

well you are not alone... some people are drinking more now than they normally would it seems.. not surprising.. so many will be in need to help if not already..

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭noplacehere

Ate a lot more junk in the first lock down to survive no childcare. Drank a lot more in the second one (I rarely ever drink in recent years but was having a glass or maybe two a night 2-3 nights a week which was way out of character). Third lockdown started with a very wobbly January and basically ate my way through it still with the odd glass. And now I’m finally on top of both and down 10lbs. Have a lot of damage to undo.

TLDR: drank more in lockdown 2. Back to normal now aka almost none.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭bb1234567

None..I'm college age so used to drink pretty heavy once or twice a week last year. But now, none as I barely ever see my friends and never in big groups where drinking might happen. It's odd I've completely lost the taste for alcohol, I'm often put off by the thought of it now..and when I do drink I think I get too drunk too quickly compared to what i used to be able to hold.

Still enjoy it though, was nice having a few on paddys day and getting a bit locked, look forward to going back to social drinking during the summer again, hopefully

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Drank a lot more in the first lockdown. Not having to commute in the morning or no gym to get up for meant no real consequences the next morning.

I've stepped back from it now big time, bad habits and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

I find I'm drinking less but stronger and more crafty stuff and for cheaper, probably evens out to be the same amount of physical units of alcohol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Hobgoblin11

I'm drinking more

Dundalk, Co. Louth

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

humberklog wrote: »
    Way less. Way, way less. I'd be one for the pub and it would've been 3, 4 or 5 nights a week. Now I've drinks on Friday evening at home and I meet friends once a week in Stephen's Green that sometimes ends up back in someone's house.

What we do in the Green is bring a nagan of whiskey and a flask of coffee. Then buy a take-away coffee and keep topping it up. It's nice to get out and see friends as before the restrictions I would've been very sociable.

But I definitely won't go back to my previous drinking habits when pubs re-open. I feel a lot better, lost weight, started sea swimming and cycling and as I'm 51 that's probably what I should be doing.

Pub twice a week in the future and take it handier and leave earlier.

I'd also be in the pub 3 or 4 nights a week. Usually either 3 or 4 pints watching a match once or twice, and a night or two out with colleagues or friends.

I always thought it was a bit of a silly distinction, but I've never drunk at home. Always seemed a potential slippery slope. The minimal effort of going to the pub and having to come home after, plus the psychological distinction between drinking in the pub vs not drinking at home seemed like a good idea. Over the years I've often bought a slab of cans for people coming over and ended up pouring half of them down the sink 6 months later because it literally would not occur to me to drink at home on my own.

The first week of the first lockdown I bought a few bottles. They sat there for three or four weeks until one of Leo's announcements sent me over the edge - it was one of the film quotes that seemed totally incongruous before we found out it was all a joke to him, not sure if it was the Terminator or Gandalf one.

Never really looked back after that. Whatever about a few pints on a Wednesday in a pub, wasn't that regularly I'd think at 2am that sure one more won't make that much of a difference, help numb the next day when all I have to do is make it a few hours to lunchtime, nap for an hour, then get through the afternoon. And that's drinking alone at home, not nursing a beer with a social buzz around. But that was most of last May, November, and a few other times. And I know other people the same.

I'd hope that eventually some semblance of normality might be the impetus that shocks me out of it, but certainly Holohan's "virus hates alcohol" statement was blackly funny, considering this is the closest I've ever been to pure alcoholism. On balance, I think I'll just about get out of it after all this, but I know not everyone will.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

Yeah I’m drinking more.

Would never really have drank at home at all, only if we had a few friends over. Would regularly look at beer in the fridge and see it’s actually gone off cos I wouldn’t be drinking at home. That ain’t a problem now I can tell ye.

I’ve found myself having a few bottles or cans of Guinness on a Friday and Saturday to simply differentiate the weekend from every other day of the week!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Tec Diver

I was drinking a little more in April/May last year but have cut it back again. Reckon I'm drinking a lot less than I used to before all the COVID stuff started.

Advertisement