Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring 2021 General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭highdef

Cloudy when I left home in North Kildare about 90 minutes ago but partly cloudy and more pleasant in Dublin city. Heading from west to east on the M/N4, the clearer skies began around Lucan.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,085 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Big difference in weather around the country this afternoon. Up to 16 degrees in clear skies but just 8 degrees in mist.The weather at Sligo airport gives just 2300 meters visibility in mist with the cloud at 100 feet

EISG 191530Z 27008KT 2300 BR BKN001 OVC008 08/08 Q1034

• Registered Users Posts: 6,904 ✭✭✭pauldry

Really? and its clear blue skies in Co Sligo.

Glad Met Eireann got forecast wrong this morning. They predicted cloud. And sun in the South and East. The West is fairly clear.

Big difference in weather around the country this afternoon. Up to 16 degrees in clear skies but just 8 degrees in mist.The weather at Sligo airport gives just 2300 meters visibility in mist with the cloud at 100 feet

EISG 191530Z 27008KT 2300 BR BKN001 OVC008 08/08 Q1034

Is there anywhere to see the temperatures apart from WOW and Meteociel (which is down)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Gorgeous again. It's a shame we can't just get the horrible wind and rain now though and bank these days for summer, we paid our dues last summer for the nice Spring!
    Oh well carpe diem.

• Advertisement

pauldry wrote: »
    Is there anywhere to see the temperatures apart from WOW and Meteociel (which is down)

https://www.wunderground.com/wundermap - The vast majority of stations are amateur and/or unofficial but it gives you a good indication and the temperature readings are generally pretty accurate......plus there are a lot of stations!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

Yeah and pigs will fly - if you push them out the window.

Will they? Think you are being stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

https://www.tiitraffic.ie/weather/

Updates every 10 minutes

Coldest at 17.10 - Gweedore 7.6c
    Warmest - Tuam 14.6c

If you sign up for a free weatherlink account,you'll see Davis stations
    Theres a lot of them on the island,168 of them
    The green bulleyes are 1 station in the attached image
    The green number indicates more than one in an area ,5 meaning 5 etc

Nqp15hhu wrote: »
    Will they? Think you are being stupid.

What's your basis that The One Doctor is being stupid? Are you basing you're confidence of snow in Ulster next Friday purely on one model (I'm guessing you looked at the American GFS model)? Even the GFS is not showing much risk away from high ground and the latest run is quite a downgrade from the past run. When you say "some snow", is snow only near the tops of the highest hills/mountains what you mean or are you expecting snow at more populated levels? It's known that you are really only interested in snow if it's settling on the ground so are your thoughts that the snow will settle? It was not to settle, I would not imagine that you would have mentioned the snow risk in the first place as it wouldn't be of interest to you.

The European Computer Model doesn't think much with regards to snow next Friday apart from some of the highest peaks. Haven't looked at other models but if both GFS and ECMWF don't think much of it, I won't be digging further especially as it's a returning polar maritime source.

So to describe a poster as "being stupid" because he/she thinks that the chances of snow next Friday in Ulster are very slim is a bit condescending considering the meagre levels of snow (if any at all in any place where someone will actually see it) being predicted a full week out.

It may happen, it may get upgraded and great if it does but such a hostile reply is not warranted.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

It was just a simple comment about what the models showed. No need to blow it up every time I speak.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,530 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Lovely few days in Dublin since Tuesday. Wasn’t expecting yesterday and today to be as good as they were, particularly today.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭appledrop

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Lovely few days in Dublin since Tuesday. Wasn’t expecting yesterday and today to be as good as they were, particularly today.

Yea its been brillant especially as we had day off on Wednesday. I wasn't expecting today to be as nice.

I've done well on getting in my exercise this week with good weather!

Some very dense Fog patches around some parts this evening / tonight

Gorgeous again. It's a shame we can't just get the horrible wind and rain now though and bank these days for summer, we paid our dues last summer for the nice Spring!
    Oh well carpe diem.

That's a pretty odd way of looking at things!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,122 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Some very dense Fog patches around some parts this evening / tonight

Yup got very dense about 8pm here in West Clare, gone again in the last half hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭compsys

That's a pretty odd way of looking at things!

It's just that Ireland very much only gets a limited 'quota' of good weather.

We're not a sunny location so any prolonged sunny periods tend to be evened out by bad periods later on in the year.

The perfect example being last year - the sunniest spring ever in Dublin (almost beating every other summer too!) followed by the dullest summer in decades and one of the dullest Augusts ever.

Having said that, March hasn't been insanely sunny so we're not 'due' a bad early summer as of yet.

compsys wrote: »
    It's just that Ireland very much only gets a limited 'quota' of good weather.

We're not a sunny location so any prolonged sunny periods tend to be evened out by bad periods later on in the year.

The perfect example being last year - the sunniest spring ever in Dublin (almost beating every other summer too!) followed by the dullest summer in decades and one of the dullest Augusts ever.

Having said that, March hasn't been insanely sunny so we're not 'due' a bad early summer as of yet.

I know what the poster was getting at. I think we need to get over last summer and just enjoy whatever good weather comes our way instead of wishing it away because of some hunch that the summer will be better as a result. Live and let live.

The highest gust of 167 km/h was recorded this day back in 1986 at Malin head.
    Today,its the opposite here just outside Castlebar with a thick Fog in calm conditions.

Gorgeous day in Arklow again
    Wicklow where you can have Sun Sea Sand mountains snow and Radio na Gaeltacht on FM
    Paradise really :D

• Advertisement

Incredible amount of sea mist n fog in Sligo this past week. Sunshine on Tuesday and some Friday but fog n mist the rest of time n windy n cold too. Plus yesterday was sunny day at the corner of the road down from our house but dull at our house 400m away for a full HOUR. Localised eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭pad199207

Some bright spells getting through here in Kildare now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭lolie

Some bright spots earlier but overcast now, 11c out and only a light breeze so a good day for working outside.
    Yesterday was dead calm so felt a nice bit milder at 13c.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭appledrop

What a great weekend to be outdoors.

The best thing about last two days was the total lack of wind.

It was bliss! Not too much sunshine yesterday but happily spent hours outdoors as so mild.

Today the best of the weather was late afternoon when the sun came out.

Overall March has been so dry in Dublin it's great!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,738 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

appledrop wrote: »
    What a great weekend to be outdoors.

The best thing about last two days was the total lack of wind.

It was bliss! Not too much sunshine yesterday but happily spent hours outdoors as so mild.

Today the best of the weather was late afternoon when the sun came out.

Overall March has been so dry in Dublin it's great!

Probably been the best month since May 2020 in terms of dryness. One of the sunnier months as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

100% overcast again in Letterkenny with some spits of drizzle. At least it's calm and mostly dry so could get some outdoor work done, got the grass cut for the first time this year

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

This has to be one of the dullest Marchs on record. Day after day after day of laden cloud cover. A sunny day one day last week (Tues I think) and a very broken sky I think on Friday has been our lot in this part. This is on par with much of last summer, but at least in summer, the dullness is offset somewhat by a sustained warmth. Today, despite temps hovering around 10c for much of the afternoon, had a strangely uncomfortable nip about it. Day by day, I grow more weary with the climate of this country.

New Moon

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    This has to be one of the dullest Marchs on record. Day after day after day of laden cloud cover. A sunny day one day last week (Tues I think) and a very broken sky I think on Friday has been our lot in this part. This is on par with much of last summer, but at least in summer, the dullness is offset somewhat by a sustained warmth. Today, despite temps hovering around 10c for much of the afternoon, had a strangely uncomfortable nip about it. Day by day, I grow more weary with the climate of this country.

Dull here in Arklow all day
    First of this spell with no Sun

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Sorry. I'm new here. Can somebody please tell me what was Met Eireann's name for the last storm and what is the name of the next to come? Did Storm Evert materialise? Thanks.

Advertisement