Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring 2021 General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    This has to be one of the dullest Marchs on record. Day after day after day of laden cloud cover. A sunny day one day last week (Tues I think) and a very broken sky I think on Friday has been our lot in this part. This is on par with much of last summer, but at least in summer, the dullness is offset somewhat by a sustained warmth. Today, despite temps hovering around 10c for much of the afternoon, had a strangely uncomfortable nip about it. Day by day, I grow more weary with the climate of this country.

agreed wholeheartedly. We had a decent day last Tuesday and Wednesday but since then that weirdly Irish grey slate cloud back. Still quite cool and you’ve some people calling it great weather. Our expectations are so low in this country it’s little wonder some on here would make you believe that last summer was good.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,066 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

agreed wholeheartedly. We had a decent day last Tuesday and Wednesday but since then that weirdly Irish grey slate cloud back. Still quite cool and you’ve some people calling it great weather. Our expectations are so low in this country it’s little wonder some on here would make you believe that last summer was good.

Are you in Clonmel lol ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

This has to be one of the dullest Marchs on record. Day after day after day of laden cloud cover. A sunny day one day last week (Tues I think) and a very broken sky I think on Friday has been our lot in this part. This is on par with much of last summer, but at least in summer, the dullness is offset somewhat by a sustained warmth. Today, despite temps hovering around 10c for much of the afternoon, had a strangely uncomfortable nip about it. Day by day, I grow more weary with the climate of this country.

Same here, its been ridiculously dull even by west of Ireland standards. A partly cloudy morning on the 16th and a mix of sun and mist on the 18th (or maybe 19th?) are literally the only bits of sunshine of the entire month here so far.

I've already all but decided to make it an ambition to buy a place somewhere in the Med to escape to for the winter months, October-April is just a complete write off for me every year

• Registered Users Posts: 6,880 ✭✭✭pauldry

Didnt someone on here mention that Donegal was one of the dullest places in the world?

Weather wise anyways

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Concerned2

Here in East Limerick last Tuesday the sun broke through around midday and that was far and away the best day we got in this dry spell. Every other day has been very dark and pretty cold.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

friday is building up to be a polar blast 0c - 5c daytime temps

nah,

3 or 4c and wet sleet on Friday 5 or 6c further south. No 0c

Probably showers of everything but none lying much.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

fryup wrote: »

FfS

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

fryup wrote: »

Nothing of the sort, typical Atlantic cool muck with some wintry showers on hills.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,066 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Much brighter weather has pushed in behind the front here just outside Castlebar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

feargale wrote: »
    Sorry. I'm new here. Can somebody please tell me what was Met Eireann's name for the last storm and what is the name of the next to come? Did Storm Evert materialise? Thanks.

Any takers?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I always feel a lift when we get past the Equinox and especially when we get the clock change.
    I think there are only 2 seasons in my head - Light and Dark.
    It's important just to embrace the extra light and not waste the next 6 months waiting for summer to arrive!

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,824 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Very little rain from the front here in Kerry and thankfully it went through fairly quickly and introduced much brighter and fresher weather in the afternoon, the type of fresh air that is both delicious and invigorating, especially after waring masks for much of the day. Glad to see the back of the HP at this stage. The settled calm conditions were very welcome and got loads of outdoor work done over the last week or so , a way head of schedule in my list of jobs that I hope to get done before the Summer, but the repetitious grey featureless days here in this part of Kerry were beginning to wear thin. Great to see the bright sky out past 19.30 this evening.

Got up to 14.1C and currently a cool 6.5C

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭konman

Any takers?

Have a read there

https://www.met.ie/climate/storm-centre

konman wrote: »

Thanks for that, but I have seen it already (as well as just about everything else I could find on it) and I believe it needs updating. It shows Evert as not reached but I believe one that hit the Netherlands was named Evert, meaning that Fleur is next. It's very difficult to get definite co firmation.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,513 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Thanks for that, but I have seen it already (as well as just about everything else I could find on it) and I believe it needs updating. It shows Evert as not reached but I believe one that hit the Netherlands was named Evert, meaning that Fleur is next. It's very difficult to get definite co firmation.

No, Evert was not named or has been used. Darcy was the last used name and that was for the Netherlands snowstorm back in February.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

Some are dismissing this event on Friday, but it's looking pretty cold. <522decametre and 850hpa of -8c at points, that is definitely cold enough for sea level snow showers. Especially during the hours of darkness.

sryanbruen wrote: »
    No, Evert was not named or has been used. Darcy was the last used name and that was for the Netherlands snowstorm back in February.

Rudi van Goch (Aviation Videograhy) 11th March 2021: "Today the Netherlands got its first large storm of the year. It got called Evert."

Also from another video:
    "Storm Evert raged on Thursday 11 Mar."

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

For those that are still up, check out this near lightning strike on this live rail cam in the American midwest a couple of hours ago. Time stamp just after 16.36:15 CDT time as per cam (just roll back about 2h.15 mins from this point in time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAQUGsUzWbE

Class.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭appledrop

For those that are still up, check out this near lightning strike on this live rail cam in the American midwest a couple of hours ago. Time stamp just after 16.36:15 CDT time as per cam (just roll back about 2h.15 mins from this point in time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAQUGsUzWbE

Class.

That's mad, reminds me of being in Atlanta airport years ago during the summer and watching loads of lighting strikes just bouncing off the runway in front of us before we took off I nearly had a heart attack.

I thought that's it we are grounded for a few hours, no way nothing to it for them we just switched runways!

As a nervous flyer I wasn't the better of it, but all in a days work in Atlantic they are so used to on a daily basis in the summer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,513 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Rudi van Goch (Aviation Videograhy) 11th March 2021: "Today the Netherlands got its first large storm of the year. It got called Evert."

Also from another video:
    "Storm Evert raged on Thursday 11 Mar."

Typical clickbait, it was not officially named by any of the Mets, not Met Éireann, not the UK Met Office or KNMI. You'll find plenty of fake use of storm names online from all kinds of media.

Not that they are worth a damn anyway.

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Typical clickbait, it was not officially named by any of the Mets, not Met Éireann, not the UK Met Office or KNMI. You'll find plenty of fake use of storm names online from all kinds of media.

Not that they are worth a damn anyway.

You sure of that? Because I think I came across UK predictions of a storm for that time that would be named Evert. Of course that isn't to say that it materialised.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭lolie

After a lovely sunny morning it completely clouded over in a few minutes, a few light showers falling ahead of the main band.
    9°c.

<-5c 850hPa from Friday Morning right through to 9am on Saturday.

Still Beautifull here in the East
    11 4c

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Goldfinch8

Brighter skies and a clearance has arrived in Central Mayo now after a couple of wet hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Hooter23

We usually do get a good bit of sun from March to May but the problem is it still does but quite cold even into May....then by the time June comes the sun disappears and we get weeks of cloud or rain...and before we know it another so called summer is over

Easter looking chilly with temperatures 5c about.

I remember an Easter in the 80s was 22 or 23c

At least the chocolate wont melt

• Registered Users Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

14'6C here in milky sunshine, was sweating properly on my lunch run for the first time in a while.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement

Gorgeous afternoon here, 9c.

Advertisement