Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Due August 2021

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Bambinoonboard

Hell all,

Is it normal to experience cramping in what I think is my left ovary at 5-6 weeks? Always seems to be in my left. Also had a plenty of diarrhea today. I haven't been eating anything different as such. My appetite is decreased. I know this is a August 2021 thread but I didn't want to start a November one until I hopefully get positive news Thursday.

Im awaiting early pregnancy scan this Thursday and have miscarried before in the past which I found out at EPS. Feeling v relaxed and continuing to walk jog (1 min of each for a half hour) a few times a week to help ease my anxieties about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭xalot

Hell all,

Is it normal to experience cramping in what I think is my left ovary at 5-6 weeks? Always seems to be in my left. Also had a plenty of diarrhea today. I haven't been eating anything different as such. My appetite is decreased. I know this is a August 2021 thread but I didn't want to start a November one until I hopefully get positive news Thursday.

Im awaiting early pregnancy scan this Thursday and have miscarried before in the past which I found out at EPS. Feeling v relaxed and continuing to walk jog (1 min of each for a half hour) a few times a week to help ease my anxieties about it.

Yes, it's very normal to have period like cramping up until 8 weeks, it's your uterus stretching. They can be quite strong. I've also had an upset tummy off and on, am putting it down to hormone changes. If you're concerned though you should speak with your GP. Best of luck with your scan on Thursday, I know its a very anxious time.

Has anyone got their dates for their 20-week scan yet? I'm 19 weeks now and haven't heard anything!

What hospital are you with? I'm the coombe and got my 20week appointment just after my booking appointment. I'd definitely get onto them, sounds like an admin error.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 weirdcatlady

Rang this morning and it was an admin error so I'm booked for Thursday week, thank god I rang! I'm with the Coombe but had my first app with the midwives so think everything got lost inbetween!

Hell all,

Hope everything works out for you on Thursday and you get good news! X

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭uptheduffagain

Hell all,

I had a sharp-ish pain on and off in my right ovary in the early stages of my first pregnancy. It didn't bother me as such, but it was noticeable. It turned out that I had a cyst on my ovary which is pretty common, it was monitored throughout the pregnancy and got a bit bigger, but didn't cause any problems at all. It could be something like that? Good luck with the scan!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

Hi girls, had my scan last week (at 20+5) and all is well thank god, and we've another little girl on the way..I'm delighted - two girls so close in age. OH is obviously happy everything is well but I think he's going through an adjustment to the idea that he will never have a son. He feels bad for even feeling that way, but I told him it's normal and we can't beat ourselves up over how we feel!

Does anyone recall having breast pain (just one sided) during pregnancy? I don't recall it from last time tbh, and I just have this niggly little thought that maybe I should book in for a mammogram just in case. I know I'm not in the at risk age group, but I drank heavily in my younger years and am always nervous about the long term effects truth be told. I don't know if they can even do them during pregnancy?

Can't believe how fast the time is flying, hope you are all doing well.

Hell all,

I remember having pulling type pains early on, hard to describe them but there's definitely a lot going on there early on! Fingers crossed :)

Antares35 wrote: »
    Hi girls, had my scan last week (at 20+5) and all is well thank god, and we've another little girl on the way..I'm delighted - two girls so close in age. OH is obviously happy everything is well but I think he's going through an adjustment to the idea that he will never have a son. He feels bad for even feeling that way, but I told him it's normal and we can't beat ourselves up over how we feel!

Does anyone recall having breast pain (just one sided) during pregnancy? I don't recall it from last time tbh, and I just have this niggly little thought that maybe I should book in for a mammogram just in case. I know I'm not in the at risk age group, but I drank heavily in my younger years and am always nervous about the long term effects truth be told. I don't know if they can even do them during pregnancy?

Can't believe how fast the time is flying, hope you are all doing well.

Yes, I've had shooting type pains on my right side, dont think it's anything to be concerned about but maybe discuss with your gp.

I'm having my third boy and it's difficult to explain the mixed emotions, I'm so happy that he's safe and healthy and will be loved to bits but separately sad that I'll never have the girl experience. I dont think it's anything your husband should feel guilty about - there can be a lot of shaming with gender disappointment from people who just dont understand- but we're complex beings with complex emotions and we're allowed to grieve experiences that we will never have.

That's my two cents anyway!

Hello ladies,

Thanks so much for the replies. The countdown is on. I'm beginning to feel a little anxious, as the past 2 days have been nothing but a delight - no nausea / cramps etc., constipated, but definite food aversions and sickness to smells at an all time high. I am looking forward to tomorrow for sure on the flip side and deep down excited.

• Advertisement

I had a sharp-ish pain on and off in my right ovary in the early stages of my first pregnancy. It didn't bother me as such, but it was noticeable. It turned out that I had a cyst on my ovary which is pretty common, it was monitored throughout the pregnancy and got a bit bigger, but didn't cause any problems at all. It could be something like that? Good luck with the scan!

It might well be... Maybe something to note to the doc is right. Thank you, and thanks all for advice!!

xalot wrote: »
    Yes, I've had shooting type pains on my right side, dont think it's anything to be concerned about but maybe discuss with your gp.

I'm having my third boy and it's difficult to explain the mixed emotions, I'm so happy that he's safe and healthy and will be loved to bits but separately sad that I'll never have the girl experience. I dont think it's anything your husband should feel guilty about - there can be a lot of shaming with gender disappointment from people who just dont understand- but we're complex beings with complex emotions and we're allowed to grieve experiences that we will never have.

That's my two cents anyway!

Totally agree with this! Had my scan this week and I'm having another boy. I'm so relieved and grateful that he's healthy, and obviously he'll be loved beyond measure - but there is that small twinge of sadness that I won't have the different experience of raising a girl. It's just like a door being closed to you. Anyway. I'll get over it! And I'm delighted that my little boy will have a little bro.

Antares35, I had (and still occasionally have) the odd breast pain twinge for about a year after having my first. I wasn't concerned as it was never consistent, no other symptoms and I assumed it was something like the hormones/milk ducts in my breasts getting back to normal. I did have a breast cancer scare around this time last year though (which is loads of fun at the start of a pandemic, I can tell you) - so if you're worried, there's no harm in mentioning it to your GP to put your mind at rest?

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭bytheglass

Hey ladies, I’m due for my anomaly scan soon in St Luke’s in Kilkenny. Are partners allowed attend the scans now?

bytheglass wrote: »
    Hey ladies, I’m due for my anomaly scan soon in St Luke’s in Kilkenny. Are partners allowed attend the scans now?

They are in the Coombe but you'll have to check with the hospital directly. Had mine yesterday (they were running very late and was waiting 2 hours, didn't get finished until after 8pm) but all went well thankfully. Starting to feel very real now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

Hey girls, highly emotional day here yesterday as we had our anomaly scan, everything is perfect, and we found out that our third and final baby is a girl. I have hardly stopped sobbing since!

Congratulations caitrionanic!!! What relieving news for you both. Best of luck with the rest of your pregnancy. Sobs of happiness, joy and thanks, I'm sure. :)

Congratulations Catrionanic :) it's such a relief isn't it.

Is anyone else worried about these reports coming through about covid related placentitis? I've tried explaining the risk to everyone in our house, and OH is being very good not seeing anyone etc but my parents who have recently been vaccinated are getting careless. I think maybe because they're vaccinated they have a feeling of being invincible, but I've tried telling them they could still spread it.

My dad will "just pop out to woodies for a tin of paint" or do his big shop online and then "just pick up some fresh bread in Dunnes". I don't want to take a hard line with them but I really feel very strongly that they are putting my baby at risk :(

Congratulations Catrionanic :) it's such a relief isn't it.

Is anyone else worried about these reports coming through about covid related placentitis? I've tried explaining the risk to everyone in our house, and OH is being very good not seeing anyone etc but my parents who have recently been vaccinated are getting careless. I think maybe because they're vaccinated they have a feeling of being invincible, but I've tried telling them they could still spread it.

My dad will "just pop out to woodies for a tin of paint" or do his big shop online and then "just pick up some fresh bread in Dunnes". I don't want to take a hard line with them but I really feel very strongly that they are putting my baby at risk :(

Hi Antares,

Firstly, I feel like I'm barging in not my own territory here - I'm not an August due date woman, but November, so hope it's OK to still comment, hehehe..

Oh, I haven't heard anything about it. I've tried searching on Google but searches werent great. Is it different to the still birth statistics?

I know what you mean re older people being a bit careless. It's very hard as I'm pretty sure one set would disrespectfullu laugh at ya for being "cautious" and well, protective and responsible, and the other person is just utterly oblivious to the dangers of it. Very difficult when dealing when alternative mindsets and standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

Yes it is definitely a worry. I was actually interviewed about it on the news last night!!! Funny enough. Im a healthcare worker too so extra exposed. I've had one vaccine but god knows what's gonna happen with the second now with the astrazeneca fiasco.

My tentative plan is just to shield from 36 weeks. I feel like it is impossible to control all risk factors, especially with children in school.

Yes it is definitely a worry. I was actually interviewed about it on the news last night!!! Funny enough. Im a healthcare worker too so extra exposed. I've had one vaccine but god knows what's gonna happen with the second now with the astrazeneca fiasco.

My tentative plan is just to shield from 36 weeks. I feel like it is impossible to control all risk factors, especially with children in school.

It's definitely a concern, first time around we didn't have this problem. I've had an argument with my parents because they're planning to meet relatives tomorrow and they just don't care if they bring covid back to the house! I honestly feel like telling them we will need to isolate for two weeks if they go ahead with it. :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Congrats Caitriona...we had 2 girls and then a boy and it is a little bit special to have that change :-)

It's very frustrating Antares, especially when you feel unlistened to. Well my advice is stuck to your guns. Think of number one. If something went wrong it's be the "you should have been more careful" approach. Protect your baby and you.

It's very frustrating Antares, especially when you feel unlistened to. Well my advice is stuck to your guns. Think of number one. If something went wrong it's be the "you should have been more careful" approach. Protect your baby and you.

Thanks. We stuck to our guns and I told them it would be a two week isolation if they went ahead, so they backed down. But really it was the last thing I needed to worry about at this stage!

Can I ask in particular anyone who is on a second or subsequent pregnancy, is it normal to feel the baby lower down? In my first, she was always high up but now (at 25 weeks) I can feel kicks very low down. I don't remember this from before tbh. Also feeling more pressure on my bladder early on, whereas first time around I think that was well after 30 weeks...

Thanks. We stuck to our guns and I told them it would be a two week isolation if they went ahead, so they backed down. But really it was the last thing I needed to worry about at this stage!

Can I ask in particular anyone who is on a second or subsequent pregnancy, is it normal to feel the baby lower down? In my first, she was always high up but now (at 25 weeks) I can feel kicks very low down. I don't remember this from before tbh. Also feeling more pressure on my bladder early on, whereas first time around I think that was well after 30 weeks...

I'm still feeling movement quite low down and was from the start, although he's started to move higher (up past bellybutton) for the last week or two. I have definitely been feeling a bit more pressure low down for the past week or so. Can't really remember on my first!

Hope everyone's doing well. I had a bit of a scare recently when I was taken into hospital with severe pain and a suspected kidney stone :( Wasn't pleasant but the pain passed (still not sure if the stone did or not) but just relieved that baby is OK.

Hi all,

Hope everyone is well :)

Has anyone done any baby classes such as hypnobirthing or breastfeeding that could recommend any? Also, did you do baby first aid and would you recommend it? It's my first so want to start getting prepared

Thanks
    X

Hi all,

Hope everyone is well :)

Has anyone done any baby classes such as hypnobirthing or breastfeeding that could recommend any? Also, did you do baby first aid and would you recommend it? It's my first so want to start getting prepared

Thanks
    X

On my first I listened to the gentle birthing CD but it all went out the window with the amount of medical interventions I had. Some people find it really helpful though.

I wouldn't spend anything on breastfeeding until the baby is here. You might find it all plain sailing but if you're having issues you can always get a lactation consultant to help. I am going to contact the infant feeding department in advance of my section to arrange to have some colostrum harvested (sections can cause a delay in your milk coming in). Might be something to consider?

I did first aid through work and I highly recommend that, I know the one that's run in the Red Cow was highly regarded but I'm not sure what's running in COVID times...

On my first I listened to the gentle birthing CD but it all went out the window with the amount of medical interventions I had. Some people find it really helpful though.

I wouldn't spend anything on breastfeeding until the baby is here. You might find it all plain sailing but if you're having issues you can always get a lactation consultant to help. I am going to contact the infant feeding department in advance of my section to arrange to have some colostrum harvested (sections can cause a delay in your milk coming in). Might be something to consider?

I did first aid through work and I highly recommend that, I know the one that's run in the Red Cow was highly regarded but I'm not sure what's running in COVID times...

Great, thanks a mill appreciate the advice!:D:D:D

How is everyone getting on? In the final trimester now and I look like a whale!

I'm due my second covid vaccine in the coming weeks so will be delighted to have that taken care of. My consultant has also given me my date for my section so it's nice to have a date to work toward.

How is everyone getting on? In the final trimester now and I look like a whale!

I'm due my second covid vaccine in the coming weeks so will be delighted to have that taken care of. My consultant has also given me my date for my section so it's nice to have a date to work toward.

Still waiting to hear back from NMH about the vaccine (first dose). Getting anxious now. Can I ask where you got yours? I don't want to ring and annoy them as I'd say they're flat out after the ransomware attack, but every day is a worry :(

Feeling much bigger this time. I saw a picture I took on my first pregnancy at 36 weeks and I was much smaller than I am now at 32! :D

Will you have to stay in long after the section? It's good to have a date to look forward to as you said :)

• Advertisement

Still waiting to hear back from NMH about the vaccine (first dose). Getting anxious now. Can I ask where you got yours? I don't want to ring and annoy them as I'd say they're flat out after the ransomware attack, but every day is a worry :(

Feeling much bigger this time. I saw a picture I took on my first pregnancy at 36 weeks and I was much smaller than I am now at 32! :D

Will you have to stay in long after the section? It's good to have a date to look forward to as you said :)

I had my panorama test done through the Rotunda so was on their system and they offered me a COVID vaccine. I also got a call and a text from the Coombe (over a week ago) asking if I required one. If I were in your situation I'd call the NMH as you're right on the cusp of being able to get both vaccines. It's completely unchartered territory for them and you dont want to fall between the cracks.

After a section you're in for 3-5 nights, last time I was fine to go home after 3 but in hindsight it might have been a bit soon, will wait and see how I'm feeling this time around (and whether I've a private room as that makes all the difference!)

Advertisement