Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lions Tour

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭tmc1963

Hurrache wrote: »
    Sigh, we have a higher proportion of our population fully vaccinated compared to the UK, over 3% here compared to less than 2 in the UK.

This piece of data, at a specific point in time, proves that the old 'lies, damned lies and statistics' saying remains very valid.
    The UK has a clearly defined policy of vaccinating as many as possible with the first jab and then giving the second jab 12 weeks later.
    Therefore the second jab stats are about to accelerate massively - my 80 year old in-laws in Scotland are getting it in the next fortnight or so, having had the first in January.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

Another hyped up Scotland team that fails to produce. Home losses to Wales and Ireland. They can have no complaints if they have so few picked.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭hahashake

Another hyped up Scotland team that fails to produce. Home losses to Wales and Ireland. They can have no complaints if they have so few picked.

That is fair, I doubt Gatland was impressed by that performance, especially Russell. Sexton may be a bit old and not as dynamic but he is reliable and kicks his points.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,709 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Lock and backrow will be an area of strength for the Lions. Ryan, Henderson and Beirne all played very well today and if they reach the same heights against England I think all three will be in the squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

They could have Hogg and Watson as test starters if both keep up their form. Henshaw and Beirne similarly for us.

• Advertisement

They could have Hogg and Watson as test starters if both keep up their form. Henshaw and Beirne similarly for us.

On current form, Hogg probably starts but he’s weak under the high ball and Ireland targeted that today and you would assume the Boks will too. Liam Williams is a much safer bet. Wouldn’t surprise me if Gatland goes for him.

As good as Watson has been he has still been part of a pack that lost at home to Wales and Ireland. I wouldn’t have him in a Lions test team at 7 over Curry, Tipuric or even Underhill.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,748 ✭✭✭✭bilston

I think Furlong, Ryan, Henderson, Beirne, Stander, Sexton and Henshaw all have a real chance of making the squad. So does Ringrose, but yesterday was a bad time to put in am uncharacteristic performance.

There could be a surprise or two as well.

The England game will be huge for Lions selection.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Louis Friend

bilston wrote: »
    I think Furlong, Ryan, Henderson, Beirne, Stander, Sexton and Henshaw all have a real chance of making the squad. So does Ringrose, but yesterday was a bad time to put in am uncharacteristic performance.

There could be a surprise or two as well.

The England game will be huge for Lions selection.

That’s understating it just a tad.

“have a real chance”

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,224 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Whilst they piss around trying to decide if there will be a tour, another commercial box is ticked....

The official beer of the tour FFS

https://www.lionsrugby.com/2021/03/15/lions-announce-fullers-london-pride-as-official-beer?fbclid=IwAR1K3d2VCv9kAbOocwzb4p8xIh6NdA59SuFJq8xqe_JjJS5zSA4qo9rKopE

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

As good as Watson has been he has still been part of a pack that lost at home to Wales and Ireland. I wouldn’t have him in a Lions test team at 7 over Curry, Tipuric or even Underhill.

Wilson?

They are certainly missing Underhill.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Some Yoke

Whilst they piss around trying to decide if there will be a tour, another commercial box is ticked....

The official beer of the tour FFS

https://www.lionsrugby.com/2021/03/15/lions-announce-fullers-london-pride-as-official-beer?fbclid=IwAR1K3d2VCv9kAbOocwzb4p8xIh6NdA59SuFJq8xqe_JjJS5zSA4qo9rKopE

Galahad was always an outside bet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭Asus X540L

Probably posted here already but it looks like Ferris has completely lost the plot!

Has Stockdale starting at full back for the Lions! The same Jacob who hasn't played any 6 nations and the same Jacob who has been woeful for Ireland at full back.

Also has Murray as Lions test scrum half!

https://www.skysports.com/rugby-union/news/12321/12247623/british-irish-lions-stephen-ferris-picks-his-lions-xv-to-face-south-africa-in-2021

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

May as well name himself in the side...its not gonna happen

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

Asus X540L wrote: »
    Probably posted here already but it looks like Ferris has completely lost the plot!

Has Stockdale starting at full back for the Lions! The same Jacob who hasn't played any 6 nations and the same Jacob who has been woeful for Ireland at full back.

Also has Murray as Lions test scrum half!

https://www.skysports.com/rugby-union/news/12321/12247623/british-irish-lions-stephen-ferris-picks-his-lions-xv-to-face-south-africa-in-2021

He's a loon...

15 Jacob Stockdale (Ireland); 14 Louis Rees-Zammit (Wales), 13 George North (Wales), 12 Robbie Henshaw (Ireland), 11 Jonny May (England); 10 Owen Farrell (England, captain), 9 Conor Murray (Ireland); 1 Rory Sutherland (Scotland), 2 Jamie George (England), 3 Tadhg Furlong (Ireland), 4 Maro Itoje (England, vice-captain), 5 James Ryan (Ireland), 6 Sam Underhill (England), 7 Tom Curry (England), 8 Taulupe Faletau (Wales).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

My 15 for the Lions

L Williams
    L Rees Zammit
    J Davies
    R Henshaw
    J Adams

D Biggar
    G Davies

M Vunipola
    J George
    T Furlong

AW Jones (C)
    M Itoje

T Beirne
    H Watson
    B Vunipola

7 Welsh, 3 Irish, 4 English, 1 Scot

A few players aren't playing well but you would expect the Vunipolas to be very fresh come the Lions though not in form at the moment. Furlong will also be fresh. At hooker I'd be happy to go with Owens but I think George has been badly missed in the England scrum.

Some positions you could pick 3 or 4 lads and they would all do a good job. James Ryan is one that stands out but I think AW Jones is the outstanding candidate for captaincy.

At 1 you could pick a few lads as well.

The Irish and English backlines are quite poor and they seem to lack the basic skills of passing and putting players into space. So I don't think they will have a lot of numbers in the team.

You would be tempted to take Murray and Sexton especially with the matches likely to be in the UK and the higher possibility of wet games and needing more control.

There is big competition in the back row especially at 6 and 7 with Curry and Underhill very possible starters plus Jamie Ritchie from Scotland.

Owen Farrell could also be an option at 10/12 though I think his passing game isn't great.

I think the Lions are strong in the key areas of scrum and lineout and hopefully a good contest ahead of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭hahashake

You'd be looking at a Welsh/Irish team with a few token English and Scots.

Old men AWJ and Sexton to be the first names on the team sheet.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,816 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

With all due respect to everyone else, Tadhg Furlong will be the first name on the Lions test teamsheet.

Irish players nailed on: Furlong, Beirne, Sexton, Henshaw.

Irish probables: Henderson, Stander, Murray, Earls, Keenan (can't express how much I admire this lad for putting himself in this position)

Irish players in the long list mix, but have had issues with form, injuries, bans etc: Herring, Porter, James Ryan, O'Mahony, Connors, Doris, Conan, Van der Flier, JGP, Ringrose, Carbery, Aki, Stockdale.

In other words, the above will have to have a searing finish to their respective European campaigns to better their rivals from other nations.

The subject of bolters is always a bit of fun. Ryan Baird getting a few mentions in the press, but personally I don't see it this time around, unless he smashes all around him for Leinster and they at least make the final in Europe. Another fella I'd love to see get his name into the conversation is Robert Balacoune. Just something about him.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

If they are still going to bring an uncapped player, I wouldn't be surprised if its Balacoune

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭joseywhales

Ah finishing 4th and the obligatory english contingent and warrens welsh lads as champions probably means you will see less than usual. For example I don't see stander there, maybe midweek team but he is not going to beat out curry, underhill, faleteau ,watson etc. There is a lot of depth there. Not to mention competition in second row pushing beirne to 6. He will probably fit tipuric in or on the match day bench too.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,023 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Can anyone make an argument for finn Russel as a lion?

I see moments of magic mixed into long periods of calamity with him. Definitely not what you want in an attritional game against the bokke

• Advertisement

sydthebeat wrote: »

I see moments of magic mixed into long periods of calamity with him. Definitely not what you want in an attritional game against the bokke

It's a cliche but how good is he behind a losing pack? Seems like he looks great at racing where he has giants punching holes at every phase.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭Jizique

It's a cliche but how good is he behind a losing pack? Seems like he looks great at racing where he has giants punching holes at every phase.

Bit like Sexton then but with flair

Jizique wrote: »
    Bit like Sexton then but with flair

Hummm

Nah, completely different.

Sexton has dragged teams to victory

• Registered Users Posts: 23,816 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Russell is flakier than a selection box full only of Cadbury's Flakes. And even by his standards he is going through an exceptionally flakey period.

My guess is that Gatland really dislikes players like that and so the 10s will be Sexton, Farrell and Biggar (just cos he's Gatlands pal) and Hogg will back them up, perhaps starting a against the US or whatever.

It seems to be quite trendy within the media to call Russell a ‘maverick’ and fawn over him and yeah he can throw a lovely try scoring pass/kick on occasion but in reality he frequently follows that up with an interception, a missed penalty etc.

I’ve heard him being called the best 10 in the world in recent weeks which is very wide of the mark imo. He was Scotland’s worst player against England, poor against Wales and non-existent against Ireland.

Could you imagine Farrell or Sexton going off injured in a Lions Test game after 10 minutes and relying on Russell to come on and to run the game and kick all his penalties for you?

It’ll be between himself and Biggar for the third 10 spot. Luckily enough I can’t see Gatland picking him near a test team.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

True, but they might see value in him as a midweek player. He’s box office to be fair.

Biggar, Sexton and Farrell seem most likely though

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

I'd be leaving Russell and Hogg at home. Their little bits of magic are undermined by the basics not being good enough. Too many errors in both players.

Jaysus, the scots won't be happy after beating and finishing ahead of england and being within a score of both ireland and wales, if they bring a token contingent on the lions again.

I'd be leaving Russell and Hogg at home. Their little bits of magic are undermined by the basics not being good enough. Too many errors in both players.

Hogg is starting 15 for me.

Russell doesn't travel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 Bellmeister

Some very green tinted viewpoints here, not sure I'd have any of the Irish backs in the starting xv. Ireland's best players are all in the pack and their back play is the worst of the home nations.

RE Scotland, Suspect there will only be 5 Scots in the party. Hogg will be a starter and Russell on the bench in case Gatland's plan a doesn't work. I am not sure who he'll go for s starting 10 though. Sexton's goal kicking has been great but he's not an attacking 10, he only showed up in the games Ireland dominated possession and territory, he's not a line threat. The game has changed and a slow, aged, kicking stand off is not the right choice any more to win games against a top nation. I wouldn;t take Sexton on the tour, he's not popular and not going to accept a bit part.

Tom Curry had a disastrous game yesterday but is the english media's lovechild. 7 is a very interesting starting selection and as key a choice as 10.

Advertisement