Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New GAA Jerseys 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

It should be. We shouldn’t always have to apologise for who we are.

'We' ...No one should apologise for who they are. But I dont think 'We' are all represented by commemorative events and the less we have them the better.. I dont mind Bloody Sunday being commemorated but in a solemn way.. not having this banner plastered over Hill 16 or more accurately Hill 60

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

BloodyBill wrote: »
    'We' ...No one should apologise for who they are. But I dont think 'We' are all represented by commemorative events and the less we have them the better.. I dont mind Bloody Sunday being commemorated but in a solemn way.. not having this banner plastered over Hill 16 or more accurately Hill 60

Ah would you stop.

You're getting offended now on behalf of those who couldn't give a shíte if the whole crowd was massacred.

The GAA, to their credit have some lovely stuff up on the website, and even knowing the whole story of the day still had me with a lump in my throat.

I really think a big big deal needs to be properly made of Bloody Sunday that weekend. It should never be let lie. Especially as we keep being told about the "decade of centenaries" and to respect all traditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,201 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Ah would you stop.

You're getting offended now on behalf of those who couldn't give a shíte if the whole crowd was massacred.

The GAA, to their credit have some lovely stuff up on the website, and even knowing the whole story of the day still had me with a lump in my throat.'

I really think a big big deal needs to be properly made of this that weekend. It should never be let lie. Especially as we keep being told about the "decade if centenaries".

Agreed.

Ireland will only have “matured as a nation” when we can openly celebrate and commemorate important aspects of our history without people telling us to cop on in case we offend others.

Our commemoration is not about trying to offend others, it’s about remembering what happened in this little country. We define ourselves by who we are, Bloody Sunday is part of that narrative.

Personally I couldn’t care less who is offended by us commemorating our dead and events that have shaped this nation. Others might be a bit embarrassed by it but that’s something they need to deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Dublinproud

To Tipp fans would would you be in favour of switching to the green and white on a permanent basis?
    Jersey looked class this weekend?

To Tipp fans would would you be in favour of switching to the green and white on a permanent basis?

I'd love to see the footballers do it. Even just for the rest of this season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,163 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Absolutely. Even before this weekend I thought the Grange colours looked great. The blue and gold is synonymous with the hurlers, so I'd have no problem with the white/green being used for the footballers. I remember seeing Hogan's bullet-ridden jersey up close as a kid when it was in the Clonmel museum and it left a major impression. Great colours. I'm sure if the footballers asked for it, they'd get it.

fyfe79 wrote: »
    Absolutely. Even before this weekend I thought the Grange colours looked great. The blue and gold is synonymous with the hurlers, so I'd have no problem with the white/green being used for the footballers. I remember seeing Hogan's bullet-ridden jersey up close as a kid when it was in the Clonmel museum and it left a major impression. Great colours. I'm sure if the footballers asked for it, they'd get it.

You're a Tipp man so?

---

I love a band across a shirt.

But white with green really does look special. It really would compliment the fact that the original colours are blue with saffron.

We always have to remember that the decision to have county colours is arbitrary at the best of times. I mean, but 5 years after the horror of Bloody Sunday Tipp CB picked Tubberdora's colours.

Dublin played in sky blue and white until the 70s and only changed because of suggestions that it would look better on TV if the shirts were darker. Another story is that the kit manager's wife dyed them navy as the white was a nightmare to keep clean.

Donegal flipped their colours in 1992 after a colour clash with Mayo in the SF and after winning the AI against Dublin they have kept yellow as the prominent colour.

Either way... the Tipp footballers at least continuing to wear white and green after this historic year would not be without precedent nor support.

Then again, speak to the people of Newport (some of whom I know) who have to deal with being Limerickians in Tipp. Perhaps the Tipp people might balk at the colours.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,163 ✭✭✭fyfe79

That jersey is class. Speaking as a person who doesn't wear replica jersey's, and hasn't done since my mid teen's, I would actually buy the commemorative jersey. It's special. I think it transcends 'county colours'. The history associated with it is massive.

fyfe79 wrote: »
    That jersey is class. Speaking as a person who doesn't wear replica jersey's, and hasn't done since my mid teen's, I would actually buy the commemorative jersey. It's special. I think it transcends 'county colours'. The history associated with it is massive.

You can get it on December 4th.

I'll have a think about it myself. I only have Dublin and Fermanagh shirts cos of provenance. Would be odd for me to go further than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,869 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

It should at least be the Tipp change from now on.

Was there a reason for the change to blue in the first place or way it just what was available?

• Advertisement

breezy1985 wrote: »

Was there a reason for the change to blue in the first place or way it just what was available?

They are the colours of Tubberdora. Changed in 1925.

---

Given change shirts are the provincial colours, another GAA tradition I love, it would be sensible to have the White and Green in the locker.

I mean, look at how popular Mayos black and red shirt was from a few years back.

I've an awful feeling there will be a groundswell for the white and green to be kept at least for this year. Especially now that the hurlers are gone so there's no potential awkwardness.

For the remainder of this championship and as a permanent change colourway, yes. Otherwise, no. I love the Blue and Gold.

Prior to counties having permanent colours, they used to wear county champions or captains club colours. In that event, Hogan was the captain, so therefore Tipperary wore the Grangemockler colours.

Well, there goes that groundswell...
    The Tipperary county board has confirmed that the senior footballers will revert back to their traditional blue and gold jerseys for the All-Ireland semi-final against Mayo.

www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2020/1124/1180281-tipperary-back-in-blue-and-gold-for-mayo-semi/

https://twitter.com/TipperaryGAA/status/1331345977958076417

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭newbie11

Prior to counties having permanent colours, they used to wear county champions or captains club colours. In that event, Hogan was the captain, so therefore Tipperary wore the Grangemockler colours.
    Hogan wasn't the captain, fethard were the county champions but their jerseys were unavailable or not in a great condition

Anyone know when the county champions jersey thing died out? I always thought it was before 1920 but obviously not

Anyone know when the county champions jersey thing died out? I always thought it was before 1920 but obviously not

Seems to be different in different counties.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭newbie11

1925 was when the blue and gold first appeared for Tipp

newbie11 wrote: »
    Hogan wasn't the captain, fethard were the county champions but their jerseys were unavailable or not in a great condition

Your right

That Mayo one is rough. I know they’re probably going for a retro vibe or something but it hasn’t turned out well.

• Advertisement

That Mayo one is rough. I know they’re probably going for a retro vibe or something but it hasn’t turned out well.

Just had a look there. Have to say I like it.

Looks nice except for the they have the same stupid sleeves that ruined the Kerry and Armagh kits

Just had a look there. Have to say I like it.

Needed one or two things less for me. A lot of new ones aren’t wonderful this time round though.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

Just had a look at the new Mayo jersey. Wow ...its bad. Red and green is a hard sell at the best of times but the sleeves are bad...its like a 70s retro jersey but it ...isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,927 ✭✭✭✭flazio

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭yew_tree

I like it. Seen a report 2 years ago that showed Mayo GAA is the 5th biggest brand after the Irish soccer/rugby teams, Dublin GAA and Munster Rugby...some going but Mayo jerseys are always big sellers within the county and a large diaspora around Ireland and worldwide.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭pajoguy

If they left the sleeves green it would habe been better.

Not holding out much hope for the Limerick one. Based on cork and mayo it will have a v-neck and collar less. At least the commemoration jersey is a nice addition.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,422 ✭✭✭✭cson

I feel like the sponsor is key to how nice the jersey is too - like for example Westmeath could have had the nicest jersey in the world but it'd be ruined by that big yellow Renault logo slapped onto the front of it.

cson wrote: »
    I feel like the sponsor is key to how nice the jersey is too - like for example Westmeath could have had the nicest jersey in the world but it'd be ruined by that big yellow Renault logo slapped onto the front of it.

Renault and the Wexford Sports Direct ones were awful. I do miss when all sponsors were local like Barry's or Arnotts

• Advertisement

Renault and the Wexford Sports Direct ones were awful. I do miss when all sponsors were local like Barry's or Arnotts

Didn’t know they were doing Wexford too.

Advertisement