Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My Circumcision Story

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I think I posted as a guest in this thread way way back many years ago. I've had an issue with frenulum breve for some time. I tried to get a referral before but nothing ever happened. It went into a black hole. I stupidly put it off getting sorted for years.

It came to a head (badump-tish) this year when I had a minor tear (no bleeding though) and it got tighter. I went to GP and decided to go private given the lengthy wait - turns out my health insurance covered all but GP and a smal bit of the consultant fee.

Finally had the surgery (frenuloplasty) a few days ago with general anesthetic in private hospital. In there first thing in the morning, and out by about lunchtime. I read about painful morning wood but really it wasn't bad at all. First day was OK and since has been a bit of a pinch sensation occasionally. Nothing too painful. The worst pain was the sites where the needles for the anesthetic went in, but that's been grand today. Just taking it easy now with warm salt baths. I'm really glad it's done now and just looking forward to the other side of the recovery.

I think I posted as a guest in this thread way way back many years ago. I've had an issue with frenulum breve for some time. I tried to get a referral before but nothing ever happened. It went into a black hole. I stupidly put it off getting sorted for years.

It came to a head (badump-tish) this year when I had a minor tear (no bleeding though) and it got tighter. I went to GP and decided to go private given the lengthy wait - turns out my health insurance covered all but GP and a smal bit of the consultant fee.

So how much does medical card cover the cost? And what did you pay in consultant fee? Thanks

This thread has opened my eyes a lot, I’ve been hesitant on getting it done and it’s after giving me that extra umph to go out and do it, only thing stopping me is the recovery.
    I’m 19 and it’s been affecting me majorly over the last few years in sex etc, I’ve always been afraid to confront the pain of how tight it was when it got hard and how I couldn’t pull it back, it’s been like this all my life, I can pull it back slightly when it’s not hard but still it’s painful. I’ve always wanted it done but felt I could never get around to it being embarrassed. Can anyone recommend to me should I get the full circumcision or just the slit I’ve seen a few people talk about? Btw I’ve tried creams and techniques and nothing has ever worked. Can anyone recommend a place to get it done privately in Dublin, preferable not too expensive as I presume the waiting list is years long with all this COVID going on.
    Thanks a lot lads

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Queey2021

(Long time Boardsie, but few colleagues know my username, and like to keep some things private so using new reg.)
    At 42 going to bite the bullet and get full circumcision done. Phimosis always been an issue and went to GP in my early thirties, got waitlisted publicly but must've got lost in system so let it go- wasnt a huge deal. But in the last year or two ( since 40th I suppose) gotten worse.( discomfort, tearing etc) Now effecting our sex life so gonna go private with it ( can't get near a gp anyway at moment...)
    I have to take two weeks leave in March or April so aiming for then. I've done a lot of research (including reading all 223 pages of this thread) and I'm edging towards the " gentle" crowd in naas or limerick ( naas be handier). Though I haven't seen them mentioned here. They use Pollack method?
    Anybody any experience of them good or bad? Or anybody recommend another clinic I can self refer to- ideally north of a Dublin to Limerick line. (Cost not a factor) please PM if cant name.
    TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭Seanachai

This thread has opened my eyes a lot, I’ve been hesitant on getting it done and it’s after giving me that extra umph to go out and do it, only thing stopping me is the recovery.
    I’m 19 and it’s been affecting me majorly over the last few years in sex etc, I’ve always been afraid to confront the pain of how tight it was when it got hard and how I couldn’t pull it back, it’s been like this all my life, I can pull it back slightly when it’s not hard but still it’s painful. I’ve always wanted it done but felt I could never get around to it being embarrassed. Can anyone recommend to me should I get the full circumcision or just the slit I’ve seen a few people talk about? Btw I’ve tried creams and techniques and nothing has ever worked. Can anyone recommend a place to get it done privately in Dublin, preferable not too expensive as I presume the waiting list is years long with all this COVID going on.
    Thanks a lot lads

You should be able to avoid the slit option, this clinic provides partial circ and frenuloplasty.

https://artenoviclinic.ie/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,259 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Couple of months ago my foreskin got really dry. Normal amount of moisture cream didn't work like it did before and i noticed it was getting much tighter than normal. Checking the tip it looks like the skin is now scarred.

Went to the GP and they sent a referral letter to the Mater private. Have an appointment for the 11th of Feb to see a consultant but the GP reckons it'll have to be a circumcision.

Im a little bit nervous with the pain and all. But the benefits will surely outweigh the brief downsides.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Bungee87

How did you get on with the consultant?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,480 ✭✭✭✭banie01

banie01 wrote: »
    Will be joining this club shortly.
    Had a bout of balanitis that kicked off about 3 weeks ago that lead to fissuring, tear and already a fair degree of scarring.

Bloody diabetes!
    I say this as someone with generally excellent HbA1C and a good BMI.
    I'm struggling, not so much with the impending circumcision.
    Rather the slow and unending accretion of diabetes related complications and co-morbidities.
    It really is becoming harder and harder to keep a sense of motivation and self control.

I'm booked in on the 18th of March for my circumcision.
    I've no questions for the thread that spring immediately to mind.
    I will drop in afterwards to let folks know how the recovery goes.

One caveat on my own experience with this, however, will be that I'm on fairly hefty pain meds as is so any opinion I express regarding any pain will likely be tainted by that.

Bungee87 wrote: »
    How did you get on with the consultant?

Have my circumcision in the Mater Private on the 18th, he took a quick look at it and said basically its scarred and will need to be removed, no amount of ointment will cure it.

Im nervous for the aftermath but itll be worth it afterwards

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭job seeker

Vicxas wrote: »
    Have my circumcision in the Mater Private on the 18th, he took a quick look at it and said basically its scarred and will need to be removed, no amount of ointment will cure it.

Im nervous for the aftermath but itll be worth it afterwards
    I'm booked in on the 18th of March for my circumcision.
    I've no questions for the thread that spring immediately to mind.
    I will drop in afterwards to let folks know how the recovery goes.

One caveat on my own experience with this, however, will be that I'm on fairly hefty pain meds as is so any opinion I express regarding any pain will likely be tainted by that.

The best of luck to you both! :)

• Advertisement

Well here we are.

Went in at 7am yesterday morning. Had to be prepped and went for surgery at half 10. Woke up at 1pm job done but was vomiting all over the place for hours. Side affects of the anesthesia.

Will keep you updated as to the recovery.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Well here we are.

Went in at 7am yesterday morning. Had to be prepped and went for surgery at half 10. Woke up at 1pm job done but was vomiting all over the place for hours. Side affects of the anesthesia.

Will keep you updated as to the recovery.

That can happen. Did you have to stay overnight because of that?

Had mine yesterday, surgery went well and unlike Vicxas I had no after effects from the anaesthesia.

Very little pain or discomfort to date.
    On that front, I am on neuropathic pain meds and I'm also only 8 days post nerve block on nerves in the groin, so my experience of post op pain is not at typical.

Bandage came off this morning and the wound is clean and very neat.
    Time will tell how the rest of the recovery goes but I'm happy enough to date.

PS. Feel better soon Vicxas!

Cheers lads.

Didn't have to stay over thank god but have been feeling the after effects today. Just spending the day in bed.

In other news the swelling was a surprise, but I've no pain to report yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

brings back memories when i dropped some books into a mate who was recovering from his op, i sat down and the first thing he did was lift blanket and show me his tool , nurse saw him and i got kicked out :)

In other news the swelling was a surprise, but I've no pain to report yet.

Haven't had any noticeable swelling yet.
    But then I've always had a giant Mickey, and getting circumcised was basically just weight loss surgery ;)
    Down 5lbs lads!

Ya could have bound a book with it :P :pac:

Haven't had any noticeable swelling yet.
    But then I've always had a giant Mickey, and getting circumcised was basically just weight loss surgery ;)
    Down 5lbs lads!

Ya could have bound a book with it :P :pac:

#humblebrag

Did anyone have lots of problems going for a Number 2 after the sedation?

Gael23 wrote: »

I didn't, no issues at all.

Haven't felt the need to yet. Pissing like a racehorse though

• Advertisement

Would that be normal for you not to for a few days?

What was it like to piss after the operation?

job seeker wrote: »
    What was it like to piss after the operation?
    The first time really really hurts, I’d advise sitting for that. After the first time it’s not so bad

The first time really really hurts, I’d advise sitting for that. After the first time it’s not so bad

Thanks for that! Not looking forward to this operation at all.. :o

Thanks for that! Not looking forward to this operation at all.. :o

It’s not that bad, will be sore and bruised and you’ll probably piss some blood the first day that’s all normal though. As I said I’d sit to piss until you feel comfortable to stand. No sex for a while too, go on a few solo runs first to test it out.
    I didn’t poop for 5 days after the anaesthetic but maybe that’s just me

It’s not that bad, will be sore and bruised and you’ll probably piss some blood the first day that’s all normal though. As I said I’d sit to piss until you feel comfortable to stand. No sex for a while too, go on a few solo runs first to test it out.
    I didn’t poop for 5 days after the anaesthetic but maybe that’s just me

Ah, thanks for this advice. What if you get a hard-on? I can imagine that would be dangerous territory?

Ah, thanks for this advice. What if you get a hard-on? I can imagine that would be dangerous territory?

They've been waking me up the last 2 nights. My advice is to pinch your under arm and divert the blood away. It won't damage the stitches but its uncomfortable.

In terms of peeing I've no pain or problems so far. Did my first poo last night and it was a struggle. Thought i was going to pop my stitches like a champagne cork.

. Did my first poo last night and it was a struggle. Thought i was going to pop my stitches like a champagne cork.

That happens. You can buy stuff in a pharmacy without prescription if it stays hard but it should become softer

I reckon that my PMS may have done me the favour of blocking an additional nerve or 2 last week.
    I've still not encountered any notable pain.
    There is an itching sensation at the stitches but nothing too uncomfortable.

The swelling has kicked in, and I've had a few erections since Thursday but, thankfully even with that no notable pain or discomfort.

I'm going to thank the Doc for small mercies ;)

• Advertisement

I reckon that my PMS may have done me the favour of blocking an additional nerve or 2 last week.
    I've still not encountered any notable pain.
    There is an itching sensation at the stitches but nothing too uncomfortable.

The swelling has kicked in, and I've had a few erections since Thursday but, thankfully even with that no notable pain or discomfort.

I'm going to thank the Doc for small mercies ;)

Same. I've noticed no noticeable pain outside of the tip of penis being super sensitive brushing off my clothes but Vaseline is helping with that.

Advertisement