Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Man! I feel like a runner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,420 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

With my own niggly hamstring, similar 5k plan, but slipshod approach to S&C, I’m reluctant to comment and possibly jinx myself. However from what I can see injury risk does not seem to be very well correlated with supplementary training. The people I know who get injured the most are no strangers to S&C. I also know people who do no S&C who never get injured. Of course it’s dangerous to generalise from limited experience and the bottom line, to quote the late screenwriter William Goldman, is that ‘Nobody knows anything’. :pac:

Speedy recovery from the go-slow, V.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Dull enough update here, especially compared to some epic long run sessions and TTs on other logs. Did the rehab exercises every day.

Monday evening was the physio session, as mentioned.
    On Tuesday I headed out for a short slow run. Hamstring was a little tender from the physio but that’s to be expected.
    I found myself thinking about the whole S&C conversation that was on here, and came to the conclusion that I still find it valuable.
    1. I can’t take away the feeling of strength / power in my legs I had at the end of a couple of TTs last year.
    2. My left leg has been weaker for a long time and I haven’t really dedicated any time trying to bring it up to where my right leg is. That doesn’t mean the S&C I’ve been doing has been pointless; I just need to refocus some of it.
    3. And this point is important. I actually really enjoy it!

So on Wednesday and Saturday, out with my home S&C stuff, and included the rehab exercises.
    As it happened then on Friday night, the club had organised a zoom webinar with Peter Matthews, an excellent runner, and works as a physio / S&C coach. He went through all the arguments for S&C and what are advisable for runners etc. Nothing that would surprise any of us, but it was nice to have it enforced in my head all the same :) Great timing!

Otherwise just some easy runs on Thurs, Sat and Sun to get a huge weekly total of 19 miles! Nothing exciting and just made sure to keep it easy. It was great to get out on a nice day like today. I’ll probably do a bit more next week but not anything beyond easy pace. The hamstring is nowhere near as sore as it was at the start of the week, but it isn’t 100% either. Yet :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Sorry to hear about the hamstring, V. Sounds like it's on the mend. I definitely don't think it was caused by you doing too much too soon or anything like that. Just one of those things.

Mon 22nd Feb
    Out for an easy few miles at lunchtime, weather was too nice to resist. 3.4 miles @ 9.43/m.

Tues 23rd
    45 mins S&C
    Another few easy miles in the evening. 4.1 miles @ 9.39/m. Wore the HRM, 142 avg.

Weds 24th
    Just a nice evening walk.

Thurs 25th
    5.4 miles @ 9.20/m. Legs were feeling quite sprightly.

Fri 26th
    45 mins S&C
    I’d had it in my head to walk the Feb challenge to at least have some points for the month, but by the time Friday evening came I decided to start it jogging and slowly and switch to walking when it felt necessary. Jogged the mile to where I wanted to do it and stretched out the calves and hamstring a bit before starting. In the end, I jogged the whole 44 mins up and down that blasted hill and really enjoyed. My hamstring felt ok, and in fact the glutes were burning which I took as good thing as they are exactly what I need to get working?! Jogged home kinda delighted with myself but wondered what the effects might be afterwards. Certain amount of guilt when the physio text me right as I was uploading to Strava confirming Mondays follow up appointment :o
    Approx 7 miles for the evening.

Sat 27th
    Lazy start to the day, but my legs felt quite good - in fact I’m wondering if slow hills are what I needed :p
    Then I absolutely lost the run of myself. The club 5k TT was this weekend, and I had said I’d just do the distance to get our team the points for completing it as I wouldn’t be going near my PB / predicted time. I set off a tad too fast (I was going to do it at a moderate pace if the leg let me), and then a faster second mile and then I just seemed to keep picking up the pace and did it in 23.54... leg wasn’t entirely happy with me but after some stretching it quietened down. Look, there is very little excitement these days, and I found this week a bit meh despite the weather, so I’m not going to hate myself for doing that. Plus, I’m taking the positive that the effort for that pace felt way less than I would have expected.
    4ish miles total.
    As an aside, some of amount sandbaggers in my club. Serious chunks taken off their predicted times :p

Sun 26th
    20 mins yoga for hamstrings thanks to Adriene (and inspired by some guilt I suppose).
    Didn’t run today, cycled into town to meet my bro and his wife for a stroll. Much needed. The first time on my bike in months though and it sure felt like it!

24.6 miles for the week.
    Back with the physio tomorrow, hamstring is definitely a good bit improved and I had been doing the rehab exercises throughout the week so we’ll see. I focused on a lot of single leg work in the S&C sessions too which hopefully will help the glute wake up more. I’d like to get the mileage up more again now, even if its all easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Great to hear the hamstring is improving V, easy does it on the way back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

That sounds really positive, definitely going in the right direction anyway and fairy quickly too! Hope the physio has good news today too

OOnegative wrote: »
    Great to hear the hamstring is improving V, easy does it on the way back.

Yes, I'm very aware I could be my own worst enemy here. I will try keep myself honest!
    eyrie wrote: »
    That sounds really positive, definitely going in the right direction anyway and fairy quickly too! Hope the physio has good news today too

Cheers, and CONGRATS on your exciting news!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

ReeReeG wrote: »
    Cheers, and CONGRATS on your exciting news!!!
    Ah thank you!! Very excited alright, but it's seriously wreckin my running, should have thought of that first :pac:

Nothing exciting here, just over 30 miles for the week across 6 days running, all easy pace. Didn’t wear the HRM most days and just ran, so possibly went a little beyond ‘easy’ for me at time although never felt like I was pushing it. As I’m not doing anything faster, not even strides, I don’t think there’s any harm in that at all. 2 S&C sessions as usual.

Was back with the physio Monday evening as mentioned, and the hamstring is certainly much improved from the step back and no speed work, but the fact remains the left leg, or rather glute, needs to get working more. The plan is to stay easy running for the next few weeks and I have a LOT of homework to be doing to improve that left leg. Good thing I’ve always been a swot :)

Some other observations from my week:
    I don’t know why I’m still surprised at how pedestrians behave on pavements with all the 2m distance stuff (not going into single file, not copping on that I’m waiting for a car to pass so I can go on the road, staying right in the middle of the path so I’m out to the middle of the road..).. are people not bothered or just clueless?

Loved watching the athletics this weekend. I always did watch it in fairness, but I feel I have more of an appreciation of the exceptional talent of these people now I know what ‘normal’ runners run for these distances. Anyone have an idea why Ireland never seems to have field athletes at these championships though?

After seeing so much love for the Nike Infinity React shoes, I’ve ordered a pair (77 euro on nike app with members sale and extra 20% off). Curious to see what they’re like - do people wear them for easy / long runs?

Then I saw a pair of the Under Armour Charged Pursuit which I love for only 38 euro on Zalando, sure how could I not?! So two new pairs of runners arriving that I absolutely don’t need! :o

It’s a year tomorrow since I ran that half marathon in Cambridge.. with thousands and thousands of other people... when I think of it!!! :eek: Fingers crossed we’ll get races this year eventually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭API

I have to stay to away from that Zalando site. I bought a 'Diane Von Furstenberg'' suit that I only ever wore once. So much gorgeous stuff on that site.

I feel your pain with the pedestrians - 3, 4 abreast. Parents with kids, who don't even bother pulling across beside them when they clearly see someone approaching them. Its just easier to run on the side of the road.

When you see how little is invested in Irish Athletics, its easy to see why people don't bother with Field sports. Unless an athlete has a deep love for it, is it worth their while investing so much time and effort into a field sport. They'd probably have to travel abroad to facilitate anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

I'm a big fan of the React Infinity. Although shotgun certainly didn't benefit from my recommendation! I'd wear them for easy and long to be honest but that's just me. I tend to wear other shoes for long runs purely to save wearing out the infinity too quickly.

API wrote: »
    I have to stay to away from that Zalando site. I bought a 'Diane Von Furstenberg'' suit that I only ever wore once. So much gorgeous stuff on that site.

I feel your pain with the pedestrians - 3, 4 abreast. Parents with kids, who don't even bother pulling across beside them when they clearly see someone approaching them. Its just easier to run on the side of the road.

When you see how little is invested in Irish Athletics, its easy to see why people don't bother with Field sports. Unless an athlete has a deep love for it, is it worth their while investing so much time and effort into a field sport. They'd probably have to travel abroad to facilitate anyway.

I'm sure it's a lovely suit though :)

Yeah that's a good point re the field sports, as little as is invested in track it must be far less for the field events. I know my club do have some field athletes but they train away from absolutely everybody so there's no visibility on that part of the club even. Maybe that's the case in a lot of clubs around the country too and not exactly breeding interest then.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

API wrote: »

Also, while Europe may have basketball, olympic handball etc. their team sizes are smaller and they don't have GAA, LGFA and rugby to contend with. Particularly the GAA absorbs a lot of potential talent for field sports, and well other sports in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

I'm a big fan of the React Infinity. Although shotgun certainly didn't benefit from my recommendation! I'd wear them for easy and long to be honest but that's just me. I tend to wear other shoes for long runs purely to save wearing out the infinity too quickly.

I really don't like them but as much as I don't, I'm using them for every easy and long easy run I can to wear them out as quickly as possible! Knowing my luck for reacting to a discount I didn't need, is that these yolks will keep going for 500 miles :rolleyes::(

Mon 8th - Sun 14th March
    Mostly just whatever I felt this week again, aside from the March challenge which could have gone better. The hamstring made itself aware at the end of it, not badly, but enough to remind me to maybe wait another couple weeks before I attempt that again. Wore the HRM a few days and was happy enough with pace vs HR. 36.5 miles across 7 days running. Nice to get out every day again.

I’ve been very good with the rehab homework and activating the glutes pre-run, so fingers crossed it will start to make a difference soon. Did my usual 2 x 45 min S&C sessions this week also.

The new Nikes arrived this week, Infinity React and I wore them Thurs evening for a short enough run.. hopefully they just need breaking in, but it almost feels like there’s too much ‘bulk’ on the outer side of the runner? It was hurting my arches a bit. But like I said hopefully they just need a bit more wear.

Lots of thoughts about safety out and about this week naturally enough, given the news. Been a topic that’s come up with my parents and friends too, reminding me to be careful. I don’t feel unsafe in Dublin but I suppose there are certain things I do with safety in mind that maybe men don’t always have to think about as much. I wish the messaging would change a bit more to ask those creeps to recognise their behaviour and seek help (or just cop on) instead of just reminding women to be careful, but that’s much, much wishful thinking on my part.

I’ve noticed on a few logs before how people seem interested in placenames (or logainmneacha) when they’re running about, and they may be interested to read John Creedon’s book, That Place We Call Home. I hadn’t realised he has a TV show about this until I saw the book online, and it’s probably much the same material, but the book was really interesting. Nice delve into the origin of certain placenames and the evolution of Irish placenames throughout history, as well as showing the breakdown of names so I can kinda work out more on my own while I’m running around! I’m now inclined to think the Irish name my father insisted was on his home village (and indeed, mine for the 1st 3 years of my life) growing up is not something he made up, but probably an old Irish name before the Normans arrived!

I learned from that show that Ballinspittle (Cork), Spiddal (Galway) and Spittalfields (Dublin) are all related!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Happy to see seven days running there!

I definitely agree with you on the safety front. There will always be scumbags and creeps though, regardless of the messaging.

As for the infinity reacts you're the second person now who wasn't impressed with them. I'm officially not recommending them anymore. ��

As for the infinity reacts you're the second person now who wasn't impressed with them. I'm officially not recommending them anymore.

I've had runners before that took a few runs to get broken in so I won't make a final decision just yet :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

I had literally the same reaction to the Infinity Reacts. I compared them to my existing max cushion shoe, NB 1080v10 and they were wider in the outsole :eek:

When I first tried them on I too felt that lump in the midfoot under my arch. The heel counter was not locking me in and they looked like clown shoes when I glance down at my feet they way the profile fans out. They also felt "hard" like they needed to be broken in.

I've since put in 120k on them.

I have a tendency to to occasionally scuff my ankle bone with the inside of the outer edge of the opposite shoe. My feet just roll out when I lift. Anyway I did a long run in the Infinity Reacts today and that monster outsole drew blood :eek:

Having said that I feel they have loosened up a bit and a definitely a bit more comfortable. They are ok for easy paces only IMO. The react foam just absorbs impact and gives nothing back. I tried pushing cadence for steady effort and forget about it. Its like running on sand. Its a shame that they are not versatile as I can't bring them out for an easy run with strides. I'll wear these out and happily take them out of rotation. Not impressed with them at all :(

I had literally the same reaction to the Infinity Reacts. I compared them to my existing max cushion shoe, NB 1080v10 and they were wider in the outsole :eek:

When I first tried them on I too felt that lump in the midfoot under my arch. The heel counter was not locking me in and they looked like clown shoes when I glance down at my feet they way the profile fans out. They also felt "hard" like they needed to be broken in.

I've since put in 120k on them.

I have a tendency to to occasionally scuff my ankle bone with the inside of the outer edge of the opposite shoe. My feet just roll out when I lift. Anyway I did a long run in the Infinity Reacts today and that monster outsole drew blood :eek:

Having said that I feel they have loosened up a bit and a definitely a bit more comfortable. They are ok for easy paces only IMO. The react foam just absorbs impact and gives nothing back. I tried pushing cadence for steady effort and forget about it. Its like running on sand. Its a shame that they are not versatile as I can't bring them out for an easy run with strides. I'll wear these out and happily take them out of rotation. Not impressed with them at all :(

Yeah interesting. I really wanted them to be like the Vomeros that were comfy from day one, but let’s see how the breaking in goes. One positive is they definitely make me taller anyway! I’ll always take that :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

I was quite aware of the lesser freedom women enjoy(or don't enjoy). My OH hasn't been in the habit of walking after dark for a few years now. Well not on her own anyway. I think social media reinforces that fear with the way news feeds are personalised based on previous stories viewed. But I'm certainly not going to argue about how she feels because it's not a fear over nothing.

Then the issue got more real with the discovery that a registered offender moved in a few doors up just before Christmas. I don't go running after dark now either. Things are in motion on that front though at least and they likely won't be there for too long.

I was quite aware of the lesser freedom women enjoy(or don't enjoy). My OH hasn't been in the habit of walking after dark for a few years now. Well not on her own anyway. I think social media reinforces that fear with the way news feeds are personalised based on previous stories viewed. But I'm certainly not going to argue about how she feels because it's not a fear over nothing.

Then the issue got more real with the discovery that a registered offender moved in a few doors up just before Christmas. I don't go running after dark now either. Things are in motion on that front though at least and they likely won't be there for too long.

Christ that's horrible. No wonder you've had to change running habits.

15th - 21st March
    35 miles this week over 6 days. I never got out on Monday after a work call ran a little late and I was hungry :) Didn’t bother with the HRM any day I think, but just tried to run easy enough by feel. It was nice to add a couple extra miles on Wednesday with the day off, and the weather has been just perfect for running. 2 x 45 min S&C sessions as usual, along with the rehab exercises most days.

My left calf started to feel a bit tight this week, which had me thinking I’m still not running at all efficiently despite all my activation exercises pre-run as well as general glute strengthening exercises. Funnily enough, the physio checked in with me and ended up suggesting he take a look at how I’m running on Saturday morning. There is nothing as likely to make you completely forget how you put one foot after the other as someone standing watching you :pac:
    We went through a few things to try improve how the legs are moving, or rather the hips, so we’ll see. It’s not anything that can change overnight, but I’m willing to try it for a bit anyway.

Very boring log this week really...

22nd - 28th March

Slightly less boring running this week..

Mon 22nd
    Short easy run in the evening, 3.4 miles @ 9.20/m.

Tues 23rd
    45 mins S&C
    Easy evening run again but this time with 6 x 20 second hills thrown in about half way. No focus on speed, just on form with lifting the legs well and keeping the back straight. Nothing very intense and maybe it was in my head, but it felt like the couple miles home afterwards were smoother. 5.2 miles.

Weds 24th
    Felt generally tired and decided to just go for a walk after dinner as the evening was nice enough.

Thurs 25th
    Second (and final) attempt at the March challenge. With the lap splits set to km on the watch this time, it went much better and I managed to keep it overall quite sensible pace-wise. It was pretty enjoyable too, even with my wardrobe malfunction! 6.2 miles @ 9.01/m avg.

Fri 26th
    45 mins S&C
    Another easy run with 20 second hills thrown in, this time I did 8 reps. Again just focused on form, although once I did catch myself trying to run faster as there was another runner nearby - dope that I am :pac: 5.4 miles total.

Sat 27th
    The clubs 10k TT was on, and I just wanted to get the distance done but aimed for about 55 minutes. Ended up a little fast, and with the wind that even felt harder than it probably should have! I didn’t really fuel up properly either to be honest. Lazy. 6.2 miles @ 8.39/m avg.

Sun 28th
    After a lovely morning zoom for my goddaughters 1st birthday :) I eventually headed out in the afternoon. I’d had 10 miles in my head but the wind was quite frankly a massive pain in the you know where so just ended up doing 7. Not too bothered. 9.05/m avg.

33.5 miles for the week.
    I did plenty of work on the glutes and hamstring outside the S&C too. My hamstring is feeling good again, but I’m going to take a softly, softly approach. There’s something in my running form that my left leg doesn’t like and I’m hopeful working on glute strength and the short hills for the next little while will change that even a small bit. I was reading the chapter on running efficient in Magness’ Science of Running that crisco loaned me, and it enforces that idea really.

29th March - 4th April

Mon 29th
    Easy few miles after work, 3.4 miles @ 9.21/m.
    To my shame last weekend I was tidying up a few things, and discovered a pair of runners I had entirely forgotten I’d bought around the same time I bought my Brooks (approx 6 months ago) - Nike EPIC Reacts ! Time to admit a shoe buying problem possibly! Anyway, I tried them on this day and they’re better feeling than the Infinity ones although probably still need a few more miles to break them in...

Tues 30th
    40 mins S&C.
    Was off work so nice opportunity to get a relaxed lunchtime run in with the sun shining. Threw in 8 x 20s hills, again just focusing on form over speed. 6 miles total @ 9.02/m

Weds 31st
    Tried the Infinity React for what is probably the last time. They just felt like they were bruising my sole (more on the right foot though interestingly). I’d tried lacing them up differently also. Funny though, one of my brothers called me later in the week and as usual running came up, and he mentioned a new pair of Nikes that he found uncomfortable - the same ones :pac: must be our feet!
    Anywho, 4 miles @ 9.25/m. Wore the HRM, 141 avg.
    150 miles for the month.

Thurs 1st
    Chose one of the more hilly routes around the roads. 6 miles @ 9.10/m (thanks to the downhills I suspect).

Fri 2nd
    45 mins S&C.
    I finished up work early and had fully intended on going for a run, but once I shut the laptop I decided to do some furniture rearranging and then bookshelf sorting.. and the evening completely got away from me! Not like it was lazy I guess.

Sat 3rd
    Out in the lovely sun for 6.3 miles @ 9.14/m. Just a lovely morning.

Sun 4th
    I decided to head into city centre for my long(ish) run Sunday morning. Lovely and peaceful, really just other runners and cyclists about. 8.3 miles @ 9.29/m. Think the couple of glasses of wine the night before helped keep my pace down :)

34.3 miles for the week.

The hamstring is holding up well, left calf a little tight at times so just need to keep rolling it and doing my activation exercises before I head out the door (which I am doing most days), as well all the other ‘stuff’. I do feel like my legs are lifting better but sometimes I wonder how much of that is just in the head!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

I might find a few euro down the back of the couch at times but never a brand new pair of runners!
    Enjoy the new threads.

Bookshelf sorting? Haven’t heard that excuse before. Colour, genre or alphabetical order? :)

Murph_D wrote:
    Bookshelf sorting? Haven’t heard that excuse before. Colour, genre or alphabetical order.

Genre, then alphabetical within each genre, and a separate section for the as-yet-unread.. The running section has grown nicely these past few years I have to say :)

Mon 5th - Sun 11th April

21 miles over 5 days running. 2 x 45 min S&C sessions, 1 x 15 min yoga

I feel like I’ve been doing nothing but complaining on the log the last couple of months. While the hamstring is improved, the changes I’ve been trying to make to my running form seem to have done something else :o
    The early part of the week was fine, and I added the 20 sec hills again on Tuesday’s run.
    Thursday’s run was cut short with pain in my RIGHT leg (was the left that was always the problem before now), so I was sensible and turned for home sooner than planned. Rested Friday and Saturday, and headed out for a run today and it was fine for the first couple of miles, but certainly the last mile was quite uncomfortable. I have a few thoughts but honestly couldn’t be bothered writing them down. Will probably text the physio tomorrow and see, but right now I’m thinking a week off running for some proper rest might not be the worst thing.

• Advertisement

Oh go on, write down the thoughts! :) Sorry to hear of the difficulty.

Advertisement