Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eurovision Song Contest 2021

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,968 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Ok the Lesley Roy song..is...better than story of my life imo.
    Nice melody, lovely build up, radio friendly.
    Very decent...I am shocked.
    Not sure who it reminds me of, maybe Demi Lovato?
    Let's hope it's decent live!

Song and video below

Yeah, that's quite good actually. If she can pull it off live we might well be back in the final.

The reaction online seems extremely positive!
    Let's see if she can sing it live

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭LordBasil

I like it. I was expecting something slower with folky/rock influences but it's good.

Can she pull it off live is the big question. We'll see tonight on the Late Late.

If she can and the staging at ESC is good we might qualify.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,933 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Just one Question

WHY?????!??

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Advertisement

Dempo1 wrote: »
    Just one Question

WHY?????!??
    Huh...why what?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Really like it, going down very well online

• Registered Users Posts: 18,087 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Very good effort from Lesley. There was always a risk she would return with something inferior, but Maps is a strong song and at least as good as SOML....fair play to her.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,314 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Yay! A decent effort from Ireland. The drawback is that's it all a bit too 'nice', there's no real standout moment or any real staging potential imo. Still though, I think it's one of the better ones picked so far.

Nice to see Lil Sebastian make an appearance in the video too :p

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

I can see Maps getting a mini revamp before the semis with an acappella/drums only moment about 1 minute 55 in, losing the synthesised music in the background, building up to the big(ish) key change moment towards the end. Just imagining how epic that would have been with a packed stadium.

• Advertisement

Catchy tune.

Early Katy Perry vibes off it.

I was hoping she'd actually sing the song on the late late show just now. Clearly lip-synced. A bit disappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,808 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

The Irish song is an autotune nightmare. I hope they switch off that device when she is singing live.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

RTÉ should be stripped of their control over our Eurovision acts. Lesley Roy seems like a decent singer / songwriter.
    The production last night of a few light sticks on the roof to a backing track and possibly miming some of it will put any future respectable artists off touching it with a barge pole in the future. I think virgin media should get a turn for the a year - think they’d do a better job.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,933 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

The Irish song is an autotune nightmare. I hope they switch off that device when she is singing live.

It's appalling, she's actually extremely good normally and I'm taken aback at who thought the Brittany / Katie Perry auto tune sound was a good idea. Has the sound of a whining banshee, Even the bizzare video, filmed in the wicklow mountains was odd with zero creativity.

I asked early WHY, if this doesn't explain the question, nothing will.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

It's appalling, she's actually extremely good normally and I'm taken aback at who thought the Brittany / Katie Perry auto tune sound was a good idea. Has the sound of a whining banshee, Even the bizzare video, filmed in the wicklow mountains was odd with zero creativity.

I asked early WHY, if this doesn't explain the question, nothing will.
    I have only seen her sing last year's song live on the late late show....and it wasn't good imo at all...so I have no idea if she is good normally

I really wanted to see her sing it live so really disappointed with last night's "live" performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,574 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

To be honest I think the ceiling for that song is 10th in the Semi and 22nd in the final.

gmisk wrote: »
    I have only seen her sing last year's song live on the late late show....and it wasn't good imo at all...so I have no idea if she is good normally

I really wanted to see her sing it live so really disappointed with last night's "live" performance.

I thought her "Eurovision at Home" performance on Youtube was great last year, it was just her with the turntable/music thingy, orchestrating the music while singing which I thought was great. She is talented, but I wonder if her style is better suited for a more intimate setting/set-up.

To be honest I think the ceiling for that song is 10th in the Semi and 22nd in the final.

Eurovision pundits are eating it up, only place I’ve seen negativity is on Irish websites. I reckon it’ll finish top 10 in the final tbh.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,314 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

After having to endure the likes of Nicky Byrne and Brendan Murray, I'd take that!

• Advertisement

I thought her "Eurovision at Home" performance on Youtube was great last year, it was just her with the turntable/music thingy, orchestrating the music while singing which I thought was great. She is talented, but I wonder if her style is better suited for a more intimate setting/set-up.

Er that is miles better!
    Sure let's see how she gets on live with maps, the fact she has the guy who did Heroes staging it should help!

We have Slovenia:

They've gone the gospel route, which usually tends to do pretty well. It's a bit overly-polished and clinical but there's no doubt she has a terrific voice. Possibly a "jury bait" entry, certainly more likely to qualify than last year's one...which of course is bad news for Ireland.

We have Slovenia:

They've gone the gospel route, which usually tends to do pretty well. It's a bit overly-polished and clinical but there's no doubt she has a terrific voice. Possibly a "jury bait" entry, certainly more likely to qualify than last year's one...which of course is bad news for Ireland.
    Two songs with the same name now - Austria's is Amen too!

I think ours is better than this, no word of a doubt.

I think ours is better than this, no word of a doubt.

I prefer Maps too but while it's great to see Ireland come back more competitively than last year, we now have three semi-final opponents who were likely non-qualifiers last year (Croatia, Cyprus* and now Slovenia) come back more competitive as well. So that's a bit worrying.

*I actually thought Cyprus's entry last year was ok but it didn't seem to go down well with a lot of people, for whatever reason.

I prefer Maps too but while it's great to see Ireland come back more competitively than last year, we now have three semi-final opponents who were likely non-qualifiers last year (Croatia, Cyprus* and now Slovenia) come back more competitive as well. So that's a bit worrying.

*I actually thought Cyprus's entry last year was ok but it didn't seem to go down well with a lot of people, for whatever reason.
    Agree with that however you also have countries like Norway and Israel who were odds-on qualifiers last year going backwards. I think Ukraines song is worse this year too.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,549 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

The auto tune is very irritating.

The lyrics are very indistinctive, not clear at all.

Its catchy though and uptempo.
    Not as good as last years version but I think it will do well.
    100-1 with the bookies though, seems very generous.

We have a decent song, but we have *a lot* of competition for SF1. At the end of the day it's down to staging. I doubt what we saw on the late late last night (which just looked like a thrown together "Covid-friendly" outdoors setup) will be what they're planning for staging given the hype of the team, but it also depends on the Eurovision format confirmed for May. Will she be able to perform live in Rotterdam or will it be a pre-record/video-cast?

We have a decent song, but we have *a lot* of competition for SF1. At the end of the day it's down to staging. I doubt what we saw on the late late last night (which just looked like a thrown together "Covid-friendly" outdoors setup) will be what they're planning for staging given the hype of the team, but it also depends on the Eurovision format confirmed for May. Will she be able to perform live in Rotterdam or will it be a pre-record/video-cast?
    https://eurovision.tv/story/eurovision-2021-determined-yet-realistic-plans-for-may

By the way, her stage director is Benke, he done Heroes by Mans Zelmerlow in 2015

Agree with that however you also have countries like Norway and Israel who were odds-on qualifiers last year going backwards. I think Ukraines song is worse this year too.

Norway definitely gone backwards - I hope I'm not underestimating the appeal of the song with televoters but I would be tempted to call it a NQ.

Israel - I don't know if they've gone backwards but at best they've stayed still. They were borderline last year and likely to be again this year. To be fair they did pick the best of three songs they had on offer - the other two potential songs she had were absolutely atrocious (kinda wishing they'd picked one of the crap ones now!)

Ukraine's probably unique and different enough that it will get through - it's not as good as Solovey but it's not a huge step down either. Also they're the only country (apart form Australia, who haven't been in ESC that long) who've never failed to qualify from a semi-final, so their track record is very strong.

We can probably safely assume that Lithuania are qualifying.
    Sweden are almost always sure of a place in the final.
    Russia, if they pick Little Big again, should walk into the final.
    Malta is a decent bet to qualify, unless they get the song choice horrendously wrong.
    Add Ukraine for argument's sake and you've got 5/10 places filled already.

Even with Lesley's improved song, it'll still be tough.

• Advertisement

Who do we reckon will win Melodifestivalen? I've only listened to Tusse, The Mamas, Dotter and Eric Saade because I'm assuming it's between those four. Tusse is actually the favourite but I don't think I can see it winning. Dotter has a nice song but will inevitably be compared to the superior Bulletproof. Same thing with The Mamas really, In The Middle is missing the bouncy, fun factor of Move, but I expect they'll get a few sympathy votes after missing out last year. I reckon Eric Saade should be the one to go for. Staging is good and the song is catchy enough. Whoever they choose I don't think they have a winner on their hands, but I think Every Minute would have a shot at top 5 in the final.

Advertisement