Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Forgotten Irish movies.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭George White

Murphy also did a few Irishoid films such as the Leaping Leprechauns films, set in Ireland but American productions shot in Romania with a mostly British cast (Polish-Australian-English John Bluthal of Vicar of Dibley and Spike Milligan sidekick fame, Scottish Sylvester McCoy, English Godfrey James and the one genuine Irishman - Jimmy Ellis) and the bizarre the She-Creature, not a Corman production, but confusingly a remake of one, shot in California but set here, with Rufus Sewell and Carla Gugino as carnies who buy a mermaid from dear old Aubrey Morris.

Ends with Gugino having a daughter... except Sewell isn't the father. The mermaid is.
    That's right, lesbian mermaid pregnancy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

Fools of fortune - big-house epic. Another good movie made before the Film Board arrived and effed up Irish cinema.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

Here's two Brendan Gleeson shorts available on YouTube

Cáca Milis
    https://youtu.be/SW-tdaO2s9o

Six Shooter
    https://youtu.be/n_xMyx_SogA

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Here's two Brendan Gleeson shorts available on YouTube

Cáca Milis
    https://youtu.be/SW-tdaO2s9o

Six Shooter
    https://youtu.be/n_xMyx_SogA

I have Six Shooter on DVD - a classic shot down the road for me on a 'Twilight Zone' stretch of railway line.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,785 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

This is a quirky crime related short...
    Mr Crocodile in the Cupboard, starring Gerard McSorley, Darren Healy and Cora Venus Lunny.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,734 ✭✭✭saabsaab

'Paddy' 1970 with Milo O'Shea,

David Wilmot was the guy I was thinking of. I see from here he was in the Clinic which which I never got into. Recognised his face from a few Irish movies late 90s early 00s.

No, Flick is the actual name of the movie I was talking about.

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0932837/

That's David Murray, he got arrested for attacking some woman in Rathmines.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,349 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

vriesmays wrote: »
    That's David Murray, he got arrested for attacking some woman in Rathmines.

He was in Intermission wasn't he.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Rawhead Rex

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Samsonsmasher

odyssey06 wrote: »
    This is a quirky crime related short...
    Mr Crocodile in the Cupboard, starring Gerard McSorley, Darren Healy and Cora Venus Lunny.

Gerard McSorley played the Jack Dawson role in the godawful S.O.S. Titanic. David Janssen who played the original fugitive plays a big shot passenger with a pregnant teenage bride. David Warner the English actor who got his head lobbed off by a sheet of glass in The Omen plays another doomed male passenger. James Cameron cast him as Billy Zane's bodyguard in Titanic. Only worth watching for the scenes Cameron copied in his big budget version. Filmed on a clapped out 1950s cruise liner in the 1970s. Wretched.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Gerard McSorley played the Jack Dawson role in the godawful S.O.S. Titanic. David Janssen who played the original fugitive plays a big shot passenger with a pregnant teenage bride. David Warner the English actor who got his head lobbed off by a sheet of glass in The Omen plays another doomed male passenger. James Cameron cast him as Billy Zane's bodyguard in Titanic. Only worth watching for the scenes Cameron copied in his big budget version. Filmed on a clapped out 1950s cruise liner in the 1970s. Wretched.

Haven't seen McSorley since the start of lockdown, he was in bad shape then

He's supposed to be homeless now.

Bound to have royalties of some kind coming in

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

That's sad if true. He's a talented character actor. Just goes to show how precarious acting as a career is.

Yurt! wrote: »
    That's sad if true. He's a talented character actor. Just goes to show how precarious acting as a career is.

Liquid diet doesn't help

He did seem to be a mercurial figure, to put it lightly.

I think falling out with Scorsese didn't do him any favours.

I believe that while some scenes were done in California on the Queen Mary, the majority of boat scenes that weren't done in studio were done on something more eeble than a clapped out cruise liner, the old Isle of Man ferry.
    Was the first film AFAIK to have the Isle of Man play Ireland.

WArner has been in three Titanic movies.
    The other being Time Bandits.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,785 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

He did seem to be a mercurial figure, to put it lightly.

I think falling out with Scorsese didn't do him any favours.

Wow. I had to google that. Never knew that he was originally cast in the Departed then replaced by Martin Sheen.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Yeah, he wanted to use his own accent, and MS was adamant that the character would not be a first generation immigrant.

That didn't quite shoot his career in the foot,but that his personal life went a bit wonky shortly after, which did, may not be coincidence.

Which is a shame.

No resting place - old black and white movie about travellers.

• Advertisement

https://irelandsmovies.wordpress.com/n/ :)

With a pre-horror stardom Michael "Alfred" Gough, of all people as a Wicklow traveller.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Night Train?

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭weadick

Worst Irish movie ever is probably Strength and Honour starring Michael Madsen and Vinny Jones. How it ever got made is hard to fathom.

weadick wrote: »
    Worst Irish movie ever is probably Strength and Honour starring Michael Madsen and Vinny Jones. How it ever got made is hard to fathom.

I think that you'll find plenty of better contenders for that award including "Fatal Deviation" (1998) an Irish martial arts movie and a long-time favourite amongst boardsies. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

I'd love to see Reefer and the Model, just because of the name, which used to be mentioned all the time in the papers.

I'd love to see Reefer and the Model, just because of the name, which used to be mentioned all the time in the papers.

You'll be lucky, I've been searching for it for years as it never made it 'officially' to DVD and even the VHS tape is impossible to find.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,869 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Del.Monte wrote: »
    You'll be lucky, I've been searching for it for years as it never made it 'officially' to DVD and even the VHS tape is impossible to find.

I was able to rent it out circa 1995 from a regular video store but have never seen it turn up anywhere since.

Del.Monte wrote: »

Film four put up some of the budget so they'll likely have it somewhere

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

I was able to rent it out circa 1995 from a regular video store but have never seen it turn up anywhere since.

Have recollection of it being in Late Night Movies, Donnybrook.

Advertisement