Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Forgotten Irish movies.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

New Home wrote: »
    Don Bluth had his studios in Conyngham Road, in the building that was then taken over by Ryanair for their ground operations before they moved to the airport. I was pretty sure Don Bluth moved out after the success of the first Fievel movie (An American Tail), but perhaps I'm mis-remembering. I know it says US on IMDB, but I'm unconvinced.

Bingo. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sullivan_Bluth_Studios
    During production on An American Tail, Morris Sullivan drew plans to move the majority of the studio's operations to Ireland to take advantage of a scheme set up by the Industrial Development Authority encouraging filmmakers to invest in the country by offering grants, tax benefits, and lower operating costs. Difficulties with American trade unions that arose when Bluth offered his employees wages below union rates during the financially tense production of An American Tail may also have influenced the decision to relocate. The IDA offered Sullivan Bluth Studios the largest grant in the country's history to relocate to Dublin, in return for a 5% government ownership of the studio. This, along with Sullivan's own investment, funded the foundation of a large and sophisticated new animation studio near Dublin's Phoenix Park. The studio opened with a staff of 85, mostly handling the ink-and-paint process, but expanded to employ over 300 people, including some 100 staff relocated from the California studio, and to cover all aspects of the animation process and even film processing. To build up this workforce, the studio brought young Irish people to the USA studio to train, and Bluth helped to set up an animation course at the nearby Ballyfermot Senior College. Despite the majority of operations eventually being moved to the Dublin studio, an executive office was retained in Burbank, California to maintain ties with US producers and distributors.

During the move to Ireland, production had started on the studio's second feature, The Land Before Time. Again, Amblin and Spielberg backed the production, with additional input from friend of Spielberg and Star Wars creator George Lucas, who had worked with Spielberg on the initial story treatment. The movie had been rushed into its early production stages even before the release of An American Tail to meet an autumn 1987 release date, a very tight schedule for a feature-length animated film. However, between delays caused by the disruption of the move to Dublin, and the unwillingness of Amblin and Universal to fully commit to the project until An American Tail's release, production fell behind by several months, and it wasn't until spring 1987 that The Land Before Time went into full production.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

Has anyone mentioned High Spirits?

Featuring Peter O’Toole. Largely forgotten, and with good reason.

A fair load of ****e. But Mahoney is in it. So not all bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,921 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

The Trouble With Sex. An attempt at an Irish rom com starring Aidan Gillen. Not great.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭George White

Nothing Personal was a cracking Northern Ireland Troubles drama filmed in Dublin and directed by Thaddeus O'Sullivan. Set during one night during the Troubles. John Lynch plays a Catholic who is trying to get out of the Shankill area alive pursued by the Shankill Butcher gang.
    Similar in tone to '71 which is far more action oriented. A better movie than Resurrection Man which was also influenced by Martin Dillon's factual book about the butchers. Tries to copy Scorcese but doesn't pull it off.

Though Resurrection Man was I believe shot in Warrington.
    The North of England's often been used to double for Norn Iron. Almost identical in some places.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

Sunset Heights - sort of a Nordie Reservoir Dogs set in the future.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0122738/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Though Resurrection Man was I believe shot in Warrington.
    The North of England's often been used to double for Norn Iron. Almost identical in some places.

Ballymun has been used often as well

• Registered Users Posts: 4,921 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

vriesmays wrote: »
    Sunset Heights - sort of a Nordie Reservoir Dogs set in the future.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0122738/

That's one that passed me by. Sounds like proper B movie stuff. Did it get the Blizzard Of Odd treatment I wonder?

That's one that passed me by. Sounds like proper B movie stuff. Did it get the Blizzard Of Odd treatment I wonder?

Don't think so, I remember watching it at the time ,you could see what they were trying for but direction and dialogue weren't quite there, theres another one called High Boot Benny from around the same time

• Registered Users Posts: 28,412 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Just putting "Waking Ned" in here if some have forgotten or others haven't seen it- a gentle sort of film but a great laugh

David Kelly and James Nesbitt star
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waking_Ned

Filmed entirely in the Isle of Man.

It's our Braveheart.:pac:

There were protests in the North about Resurrection Man and many cinemas didnt show it, remember Gerry Kelly show having a segment on it at the time, think they had little trouble with the violence but hinting that the main character(based on Lenny Murphy) was romantically involved with the Loyalist preacher with the fur hat and the trenchcoat,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭pretty boy floyd

Has anyone mentioned Adam and Paul? A great little film.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

Space Jacked, A Roger Corman production. Possibly the cheapest looking sets ever for a space movie.

magick wrote: »
    Space Jacked, A Roger Corman production. Possibly the cheapest looking sets ever for a space movie.

Is that the one with Dennis Hopper?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,557 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Island of Gannets

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Island of Gannets
    :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Is that the one with Dennis Hopper?
    Was that one not called Space Truckers? The one where, if I'm not mistaken, Norm from Cheers got sucked out into the vacuum of space arse first?

Was that one not called Space Truckers? The one where, if I'm not mistaken, Norm from Cheers got sucked out into the vacuum of space arse first?

My mistake, dont remember Norm in space

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Mister John. Irish-Singapore co-production.

Aiden Gillan's wife does the dirty on him, and his brother in Singapore dies so travels to wrap-up his business affairs.

Aiden Gillan puts in an...Aiden Gillan performance, so pretty miserable all-round then.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,768 ✭✭✭saabsaab

"I was happy Here" 1966. Won a few awards stars Sara Miles. Set in county Clare.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Quackser Fortune Has A Cousin In The Bronx (1971)
    Gene Wilder, Margot Kidder and Mynah from Glenroe

bizzare title, never heard of it

just think ..Willy Wonka was in Dublin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

Has anyone seen, How Harry became a Tree?

Yurt! wrote: »
    Mister John. Irish-Singapore co-production.

Aiden Gillan's wife does the dirty on him, and his brother in Singapore dies so travels to wrap-up his business affairs.

Aiden Gillan puts in an...Aiden Gillan performance, so pretty miserable all-round then.

Think I seen 5 minutes of that once, enough I think

Theres some Corman crap with Christopher Walken and a Joe Dolan record

• Registered Users Posts: 5,098 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

I think Zonad is a very underrated movie. I found it very funny anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,098 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Has anyone seen, How Harry became a Tree?

Yes... I remember the title and the cast and rural setting and after that a vast blank..

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Rat with Pete Postletwaite,

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Sac O Spuds

Disco Pigs 2001 starring Cillian Murphy Elaine Cassidy Eileen Walsh.

Broken Harvest 1994 . Youngsters in 50s rural Ireland reopen a feud going back to the Irish civil war.

The Wind That Shakes The Barley.2006 Cilllian Murphy Liam Cunningham. 2 brothers end up on opposite sides during the Irish civil war.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Disco Pigs 2001 starring Cillian Murphy Elaine Cassidy Eileen Walsh.

Broken Harvest 1994 . Youngsters in 50s rural Ireland reopen a feud going back to the Irish civil war.

The Wind That Shakes The Barley.2006 Cilllian Murphy Liam Cunningham. 2 brothers end up on opposite sides during the Irish civil war.

1. and 3. aren't exactly forgotten. Ken Loach is a well known director and TWTSTB is among his better known works.

Never heard of Broken Harvest.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,768 ✭✭✭saabsaab

fryup wrote: »
    bizzare title, never heard of it

just think ..Willy Wonka was in Dublin

Funny, I thought about it before your post.

• Advertisement

saabsaab wrote: »
    Funny, I thought about it before your post.

When Gene Wilder died a few years ago it was mentioned on the news, there was something else somewhere about him wanting to adopt one of the children in the film

Advertisement